Elton John's Albums Discussion 1969-present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by D. Davis, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Yes, I see your point there. And there will be much to discuss about Rare Masters, even if a few earlier discussions covered some of its tracks, for example its merits as a rarities compilation (and specifically, an adjunct compilation to the Polydor CDs in North America) plus some of the mixes that are exclusive to the box set.

Regaholic, D. Davis and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

The rest of the EJ Deluxe (& Tumbleweed) will be plenty. Plus I notice there hasn't been a lot of talk about singles #2 & #3 that were included with Classic Years Empty Sky. I don't think either will be a problem.

3. Detroit Rock Citizen

There's exclusive mixes on Rare Masters?

Jagger69 likes this.
  4. Solly Bridgetower

Not to get too off-topic, but yes, same here. I bought the LP and CD versions of the official release (I don't want Elton to starve!) but I still play the Single Man In Moscow boot for the same reasons you give. Plus, the sound quality is not that far removed from the official release.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  5. Solly Bridgetower

The first two tracks on Disc 1 are, at least. Bill Levenson remixed those in stereo directly from the multis in 1992 for the box set. And there are conspicuous differences between the 1968 mono mixes and the 1992 stereo remixes.

"Lady Samantha" and its b-side also appear in stereo on Rare Masters but the origin of those mixes is still unknown. Apparently, those weren't Levenson remixes but I've yet to locate any earlier (i.e., pre-1992) releases that included them. So, while those two songs weren't remixed for Rare Masters, until 1992 you couldn't really find them in stereo anywhere else, at least not easily.

Anyway, we can discuss it more when we reach Rare Masters. In the meantime, I must credit John Higgins's article on the subject ("Treasures in the Vaults"), as published in an old (ca. 1992-93) issue of East End Lights. It explains a lot about Rare Masters, how it came to be, and much of what the box didn't include but Levenson found in the vaults.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  6. D. Davis

D. Davis Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would love venturing in collecting East End Lights magazines, but they are pricey on Ebay...unless I'm not looking hard enough.
    I'm intrigued more, now, that there's good articles (written by Higgins) such as the one about Rare Masters in it, not a lot on that album.
    Does anyone know another source/way to purchase East End Lights magazine?

Regaholic likes this.
  7. D. Davis

D. Davis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe not as pricey as I thought, but a lot of them not on Ebay.

8. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Of the bonus tracks on Empty Sky, I always loved It's Me That You Need. This song isn't discussed often, but I think it has a great hook, kind of an eerie quality. I recall it was Elton's biggest hit in Japan for some time.

The MEZ, Jagger69, Regaholic and 3 others like this.
  9. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Can I propose a thread suggestion? If no one likes this idea, I’ll return to my corner and continue to participate enthusiastically:)

Since there is so much bonus material, and people also want to discuss various pressings, sound quality, sundry anecdotes and personal experiences, etc., it kind of drowns out discussion of the week’s album itself. Perhaps each week, Tuesday through Thursday could be (as much as possible) discussion about the album proper, then Friday open the doors wide for discussion about anything and everything related. Obviously for compilations, this could be relaxed, but it would be nice to have dedicated time to luxuriate in the highlighted album for a bit, what we like or don’t like, what it means to different posters, et al. before diving into which of the 14 different versions and alternate takes on various comps is the best, and stuff like that.

Just a thought!

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I've never understood why It's Me that You Need didn't make Empty Sky. I mean, EJ was a bit short of material for the album (hence the pointless reprise at the end). This song is better than a lot of what made the album.

Jagger69, Regaholic and Oyster Boy like this.
  11. Solly Bridgetower

I for one wouldn't object to something like that. On the other hand, if we make too many rules it could get frustrating.

Detroit Rock Citizen and prymel like this.
  12. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Agree, I’m not wanting to create rules that make it frustrating, it’s just that it’s kind of tricky to discuss the main topic which is the weekly album amidst all the tangential discussions.

13. Solly Bridgetower

I agree that, production-wise, "It's Me That You Need" surpasses many of the tracks on Empty Sky. And I once wondered the same thing: Why was it omitted? But now I'd say that it really doesn't fit the album. "It's Me That You Need" was EJ and BT's strongest attempt to date to get a charting single, and I think they made the song very commercial for that reason. It was the single. And it's a typical love ballad, the kind of thing you'd expect from a single at that time. Meanwhile, there was nothing all that commercial about Empty Sky. It's all album tracks, no songs that sound like they could've been singles. Maybe "Lady What's Tomorrow", maybe.

If I could change one thing about the original album though, I'd omit "Hymn 2000" and replace it with "The Scaffold". Then, in place of "The Scaffold" on Side 2, I'd put "Just Like Strange Rain", which I love. It wasn't strong enough to be an A-side but it would've fit easily on Empty Sky, providing some relief from some of the more unusual songs but without departing from the "spirit" of the album.

[Edit: And if I could change another thing, I'd omit "Hay Chewed/Reprise" entirely and just end Side 2 with "Gulliver".]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    The MEZ, sonnyrock, Jagger69 and 5 others like this.
  14. Solly Bridgetower

I understand what you mean.

15. Detroit Rock Citizen

The stereo mix of Lady Samantha is barely stereo. It's also used on the Classic Years Empty Sky.
    On Lady Samantha and To Be Continued it is in mono. They even used the Mono version on the 2000 remaster of TBC. Weird!
    All Across the Havens wasn't used on Lady Samantha or To Be Continued so I have nothing to compare it to.
    I guess I never thought about it before.

Jagger69 and Regaholic like this.
  16. Detroit Rock Citizen

If anything I'd say let's hear the full Hay Chewed jam, but ya, deep six the Reprise.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This thread should include Regimental Sgt Zippo since it s now available (Vinyl last RSD). Elton recorded a lot of material in some form prior to Empty Sky.

18. Detroit Rock Citizen

I think that a week is more than plenty for some albums. Ice Jackets anyone? The tangential discussions are what make this thing interesting. Quite frankly, I've made up my mind a long time ago on song and album quality a long time ago (at least on the Classic Years material) and I don't think anyone is going to change my mind on the subject at hand. I don't expect to change yours either. I am interested in your histories with the music however and yes even different pressings of it.

Solly Bridgetower and D. Davis like this.
  19. Detroit Rock Citizen

As a virulently non-vinylite kind of guy, I disagree. Unless a needle drop were to mysteriously appear out of thin air i think it's a bad idea; Just as bad as not releasing it digitally. Same with the full 11/17/70 concert.

Jagger69 and stevef like this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That material can mostly be found in digital form on the Jewel Box CD set.

Jagger69 and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Detroit Rock Citizen

I realize that. The keyword of your response has been highlighted.
    All kidding aside, I'm still a physical release kind of guy. I'm going to buy almost anything Elton would puts out. On CD
    An album is it's own entity. Listening to it as an album is different than coming across the material as part of a larger set.

22. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I was hoping you had listened to an original Japan CD.

I did something dumb in my collecting a few years ago. I owned an original Japan CD and then overpaid for a Nimbus UK. I had read here that would be the best version to have for sound and artwork. Anyway, I sold the original Japan CD to help pay for the Nimbus UK. And the Nimbus UK is not too bad. It has escaped CD rot, it does have better sound than the DJM WG and full artwork.

But, I actually think the original Japan CD sounded best. Their version of Skyline Pigeon has much less of that distortion sound you hear when the music combines into one after the first verses. I wish I had kept it.

Anyway, the version I'm talking about is just the original Japan Empty Sky CD. Japan also has an Empty Sky/Lady Samantha 2:1 CD. I never owned that CD.

Jagger69 and Solly Bridgetower like this.
  23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I think the MCA is one of the worst sleeve designs for any artist all time.

The DJM, while also not good, is at least representative of the time period.

By the way, is light blue or dark purple the official color of the DJM issue?

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Typing this before reading anyone else's responses:

Like many other people I was unaware of the existence of this album until about the time of Honky Chateau. I saw it in a record shop and asked to have a test listen. For some reason, on that first listen the first few songs did nothing for me, so I passed on it and bought Honky Chateau instead.

Not long afterwards I heard the title track again and wondered what I had been thinking, as on that second listen I was blown away.

One song on the album was already familiar to me. Some years earlier I had bought the single "Skyline Pigeon" by Guy Darrell. I saw the writing credits "E. john/B. Taupin" on the disc but the names had meant nothing to me at the time.

I rate Empty Sky quite highly. Not as high as the self-titled, or GYBR, or Caribou, but better than most of his post Blue Moves output. The production has a rather raw sound, but the quality of the songs comes through. The only song I never liked much is "The Scaffold". I still plae "Skyline Pigeon" in my EJ top three songs. I have even come to enjoy the ridiculous reprise at the end. with its reverse fade-out - possibly the strangest ending of any album in my collection.

The MEZ, Bevok, Jagger69 and 4 others like this.
  25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

It's not "prior to Empty Sky", but the first album by the Dream Academy has one tract near the end that reprises parts of the first two album's first two tracks.