Elton John's master tapes come up for air....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lukather, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Yep... my Surround Amp has tone controls, but the signals are routed directly when listening to SACD/DVD-A... So no tweaking for me!

2. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Very true that the tone controls are useless for SACD/DVD-A. If you tone control it it is no longer true hi-rez with the extra D/A step

3. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

He is even remixing "Step Into Christmas" and "Ho Ho Ho, Who'd Be A Turkey At Christmas" in surround sound.... :righton:

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Wuddabout "House of Cards" and "Sick City", Bruce?

5. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

Speaking as someone who considers himself a big proponent of surround sound mixes, I'm afraid I don't understand why you'd be offended that some listeners find the MASTERING offensive. I listen to both SACD and DVD-A, and my amp does not have tone controls for high res.

Regardless of "the effort being made here," regardless of how brilliant the mix may be, if the thing is mastered with offensive, unnaturally boosted high end, I'm not going to enjoy the music. I haven't heard any of the Elton John titles mentioned, but I don't consider the "bright" comment as a condemnation of these titles; rather, it's a CAUTION. It wouldn't stop me from buying a title to see how it sounds... I happen to like some of the "bright" recordings that get trashed in this forum. Still, I'm NOT a fan of piercing treble. It's nice to be forewarned.

Jamie

6. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Here's a photo of the entrance to the Goodge Street vault as it looked Thanksgiving Day this year.

Chip Madinger
    www.8-arms.com

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.