"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The timing of that physical release suggests they will keep it in theatres through August, probably as long as it's selling tickets well.

MRamble, Chris DeVoe and RSteven like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

At this point in the run, the theater chains are getting the largest percentage, so even if it's not playing to packed houses, they are doing better with this film then with a lot of alternatives.

GillyT, Shawn, artfromtex and 2 others like this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

4. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I think This Is Elvis is a better offering. It was at the cinema too originally. It has a similar feel to the movie

Shawn and artfromtex like this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Remember that Baz said they shot every song in full. So they could easily make a 30 minute mini concert to have as an extra for a re-release to the theaters.

I believe I mentioned earlier that I'd love to see a compilation of the performances by the characters playing BB King, Big Mama Thornton, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup.

6. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I remember going with my big brother to see "This Is Elvis" at my neighborhood two screen cinema. I was 8 years old and I remember the excitement I felt seeing Elvis on the big screen. I still have the original VHS release in the clamshell case. I think it was like $79.99 when we bought it. I probably watched it at least 100 times.

80steen, Steve Litos, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  7. I’d prefer That’s The Way It Is to show how well Baz & Co. captured the look of Elvis’ Vegas so perfectly, and Austin’s spot-on performance. But you bring up a good point.

RSteven, GillyT and MRamble like this.
  8. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

And even took a shot from it with that "reporter" outside Baptist Memorial before they panned to the foil covered windows.

RSteven, Price.pittsburgh and Shawn like this.
  9. Answering my own question, per Blu-ray.com the Blu-ray and 4K discs aren’t dubbed in any other language but there are multiple subtitle options:
    • 4K Blu-ray subtitles: English SDH, Swedish, Latin Spanish, Norwegian, Parisian French, Canadian French, Finnish, and Danish
    • Blu-ray subtitles: English SDH, Brazilian Portuguese, Canadian French, Latin Spanish, and Parisian French

Elvis 4K Blu-ray

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  10. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

True but I think Baz was very familiar with This Is Elvis. Both the movie and This is Elvis are narrated, have him in a black neighborhood as a kid watching the blues, covers the recording of That's All Right, the controversy of his Milton Berle performance and his shows in general, the military and meeting Priscilla, a 60s movies section about them being silly that mentions the Beatles arrival while playing Too Much Monkey Business instead of Viva Las Vegas/Bossa Nova Baby, the 68 comeback, the Vegas return using That's the Way it Is as it's reference, a 70s arena tour montage using Promised Land instead of Burning Love, a quick gloss over of The Aloha Special, him and Priscilla splitting up, a CBS Special section that has a flashback montage during a sad song, My Way instead of Unchained Melody, then plays An American Trilogy at the end as the movie does at the beginning. The film also uses the news reel from outside the hospital and the actors pulling up to Graceland from This Is Elvis

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    RSteven and Shawn like this.
  11. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

That must mean that it's an all-region Blu-ray release. Woo hoo!!!!
    I've had my fingers and toes crossed that this might be so and have held back from ordering my copy till now, as it won't be released here for another month - and I can't wait that long!

Time to TCB! :edthumbs:

RSteven, Shawn and MRamble like this.
  12. While I hope that’s the case I wouldn’t be too sure (the 4K disc should be region-free though) - I have a lot of R1 Blu-rays with multiple subtitle options that are region-locked.

MRamble and GillyT like this.
  13. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Thanks buddy. I will proceed with caution :)

Shawn likes this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Here is somebody who worked with Elvis for about eight solid years in a row and he thinks Austin Butler's performance as Elvis is Oscar worthy. Elvis's great band leader and lead guitarist, the one and only James Burton.

15. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

He should know! That was cool, thanks buddy.

I found this interview with the guy who played Bill Black in the film. It includes some really interesting info about his preparation for the 50's musical numbers, how they were filmed and this nugget:

I’ve heard Baz’s directing style referred to as style over substance for many many years. I think largely due to the fact that his style is so exquisitely meticulous but it would be a massive disservice to the man to discount his substance. Baz is a lover of narrative and is constantly collaborating with his actors and crew to make the best film possible. For years before he even started writing the film he was exploring the life and times of Elvis and building a deep knowledge of not just the man himself but what he represented. I remember him showing me a 13 minute “sizzle reel” before filming began of a collection of clips he’d put together to show his vision of the movie. It was always a film about telling the story of America over three decades through the prism of the most iconic person in the world. That 13 minutes was one of the most inspiring things I’d ever seen.
    I want to see that!

Interview with actor Adam Dunn: 'Bill Black' in the movie "Elvis"

16. NavyGrenadine

NavyGrenadine Forum Resident

Not taking away from a terrific movie (I’m planning to see it a third time in the cinema, a first for me) but there is one little continuity error that I noticed on both viewings so far.

Elvis (Austin Butler) is talking to Steve Binder in 1968 next to the HOLLYWOOD sign with sexy hair and no sideburns. When we get to see Elvis on stage for the TV Special the sideburns appear. Now I don’t know if there’s supposed to be a few days or weeks between these scenes but from the way it’s edited together it seems like some very quick growth to me. I reckon you’d need at least a month to cultivate a decent pair.

Somebody mentioned earlier in the thread the the ‘68 Special scenes were filmed first which might offer an explanation as the Hollywood scene was probably shot further down the schedule. But come on, where was the script supervisor? Bring out the emergency stick-on sideburns!

Gosh I hope this doesn’t cost Austin his Oscar…

RSteven, jeremylr, MRamble and 2 others like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

From Blu-ray.com: Elvis 4K Blu-ray

Looks like their be 2 different slip covers to choose from?

MRamble likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

I'm sure they have the team who digitally erased Henry Cavell's Superman mustache working on adding sideburns for the home video release.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    GillyT, artfromtex and NavyGrenadine like this.
  19. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

It’s kind of cool, it looks like the DVD has 50s Elvis, the Blu-ray has 1968 Elvis, and the 4k has 69/70 Elvis

80steen, artfromtex, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Oh man, a couple of the comments.

artfromtex, MRamble and Shawn like this.
  21. I’d have to check some reference material but I’m sure Elvis met with Bindel er ah Binder at least a few months prior to filming - the Special had to be written, designed, choreographed etc. prior to Elvis being in front of the cameras so he had plenty of time to grow sideburns. That said Elvis had side burns in the photos shortly after Lisa Marie’s birth in early ‘68 so your point still stands.

[​IMG]

GillyT, 80steen, RSteven and 5 others like this.
  22. artfromtex

That sounds awesome.
    Me too!
    Imagine being such a miserable pr!ck that you have to tell lies online to bash something that other people like. What a d-bag. Did you respond to him?

GillyT, Shawn, Chris DeVoe and 2 others like this.
  23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Shawn and artfromtex like this.
  24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Not sure the comments on there work like that and I have, you know, a life? So no :p

RSteven, Chris DeVoe and artfromtex like this.
  25. artfromtex

I have a membership there. I don't use the forums or comments though. I just use it to catalog my movie collection. They're, in part, kind of like Discogs for movies.

I gave him a down vote.

Shawn, RSteven and BeatleJWOL like this.