"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Each one seems so reasonable by themselves, but when you add them all together, it starts to look and feel expensive, Lol.

Michael, Chris DeVoe and 905 like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Binge all of the content you want to watch then cancel and move on to the next provider etc...that's what a lot of people are doing rather than maintain multiple subs.

D-rock, Shawn, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's always the way, ain't it...I need that one, just one more and more until it gets financially overwhelming.

RSteven likes this.
  4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

But when will I have the time to talk about what I binged online where I spend most of my time?

I'm now more curious about the amount of time it takes to find something interesting to binge and calculate that into time vs money spent. It's beginning to appear like a lot of work just to find something interesting enough to binge amid all the content delivery options, pay rates and schedules.

RSteven likes this.
  5. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

During the holiday season (November), I’ve heard.

RSteven and 905 like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's still doing well in the theater. Here's the next show at our favorite theater:

[​IMG]

Bowie Fett, Shawn, artfromtex and 2 others like this.
  7. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

Sounds like a fantasy of an egomaniac

Shawn and RSteven like this.
  8. At other times she claimed Elvis proposed to her but that she turned down his offer.

garyt1957 and RSteven like this.
  9. zoostation

zoostation Cover my face as the animals die.

WB should keep this in theaters until Labor Day and make a strong push to get AIS during Labor Day weekend

Shawn, D-rock, MRamble and 1 other person like this.
  10. zoostation

zoostation Cover my face as the animals die.

Just my opinion but HBO and Paramount are the best of these

RSteven likes this.
  11. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Watched this film yesterday. Very impressive lead actor and the "colonel" is portrayed as really having been a toxic presence in Elvis' life, always selfishly holding him back from evolving both as a person and as an artist.

During the 1977 scene is it Elvis the whole time at the piano or is it the actor (including the singing) at the beginning?

12. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

You really cant miss when the footage switch from Austin to Elvis and it happens during the song.
    I dont know how anyone can miss it?
    Its all Elvis voice here….nothing is Austin.This I understand is harder for many to notice.

On a different note the movie is now ….as of today…available to buy as a digital copy in some countries.On HBO Max it will be available later.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Going out to see one movie in the theatres will cost you more than 1 month of Disney + or Netflix. In terms of bang for the dollar it's no contest. The options have never been greater.

RSteven and Shawn like this.
  14. You haven’t seen my Netflix bill lately ;) ($19.99).

RSteven and Deuce66 like this.
  15. PB62

PB62 Forum Resident

Like MrbigFan said, there is a cut to the real Elvis and then it remains real Elvis. That whole scene was brilliant. Someone like MRamble or Chris that have seen the movie more than once can probably confirm this….I saw it once….but didn’t the picture size slowly shrink to a standard ish 4:3 ratio and become grainy to accommodate the real footage of Elvis…right before our eyes and you barely noticed it happened? This is also where Hanks had just talked about love killing Elvis and then Butler sings the line “I need your love” looking into the crowd. Incredible way to wrap it up.

16. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

It went suddenly to 4:3 format when we first saw the real Elvis footage.

Shawn and PB62 like this.
  17. PB62

PB62 Forum Resident

Tells you how focused I was on the story and the performance….

RSteven likes this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

The Elvis movie has now hit a very impressive and significant milestone this weekend with a worldwide box office total of $251,216,741. I don't think there were a lot of people who saw this as a likely probability when Elvis began its theatrical run late June. And it still seems to have some legs left. I should be able to stream the movie at home with my Amazon Prime beginning at 9:00 pm on Monday night. It looks like I will be staying up a bit late on Monday evening. This will be my sixth time seeing the movie.

19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Latest update from our twitter friend Luiz Fernando.

#Elvis crossed 250M mark globally, after grossing 4.5M on 7th weekend overseas, just -27% from last weekend, for a 114.7M intl. cume. Allied to 136.5M US cume, hits a 251.2M at Global #BoxOffice. Eyeing a 260M-280M global run, depending on digital impact

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  20. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Seeing this in the theater was awesome. Worth it I think

21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

22. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I can’t stress this enough:

Experience the film in a theater, at least once. Those who saw Elvis live in the 50’s-60’s have told me/acquaintances that, in a movie theater, the film captures Elvis’s true spirit, as well as the excitement they felt at those shows, which is why they’ve made 4+ visits to their local theater.

johnnybrum, jeremylr, GillyT and 7 others like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

It depends. Vickie and I subscribe to AMC's A*List program, and we each pay $19.95 per month (plus tax) to see three films a week in any of their theaters, including their premium programs like Dolby Cinema, IMAX and 3D shows.

If you use all three every week (and we do, because we pay close attention to what's actually playing, rather than what's heavily advertised to us) we pay $1.81 per ticket.

Even if you only see two films a month, it's an excellent deal.

Regal offers an even better deal, or you can literally see as many non-3D films as you wish and pay a small up charge for 3D shows.

Cinemark doesn't have anywhere near as good a deal, but on the other hand, we pay $5.75 for senior tickets. It's even cheaper on Mondays, and I believe every theater chain has discount Tuesdays.

So, to answer your question, if it's just yourself, or yourself and a mate, it's sometimes cheaper to see brand new, first run films from every studio getting a much better experience than even the best home theater.

It might be different if you have a large family. But Vickie and I spend maybe $50 a month each between A*List and movie tickets at Cinemark. She used to subscribe to Regal's program when she lived in Chicago, but there is only one Regal Theater in Kansas City and it's hard to get to.

I shared this photo last night. This is me standing in front of my home theater screen. My arms, long fingertip to long fingertip, are 6 ft.

[​IMG]

We have a very good home theater, with a 4K projector. We have a gigabit internet connection, a good surround sound system, and a server filled with more than 4,000 HD movies.

And the theatrical experience is still better.

24. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Sadly I think people have permanently lost that memory of what seeing a movie in a theater can offer. The negatives about seeing a movie: the rude people, the terrible sound/picture, food, traffic etc etc have permanently scarred most people from even considering going to a theater.

But yes, there is something truly unique waiting for people in this movie by going to the theater.

RSteven likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Where is this? We go to various AMC theaters, one Cinemark, and the occasional screening at local chain B&B and every auditorium is equipped with excellent projection and a far larger sound system than I've ever encountered in any home.

We see at least three films in the theater a year, and it has been years since we've encountered anybody rude.