"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Well I don't particularly find rude people but ask this board and you see people mention this all the time so apparently it's happening somewhere. Same with the equipment talk. Even on this thread people claiming what they have at home is better than a theater experience. I don't feel that way but obviously a lot of people are feeling this way for whatever reasons they feel--especially after the pandemic.

RSteven likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Well here's the funny thing. Up until 2 years ago, I lived in Chicago - not a city famous for quiet and shy people, and despite going to the theater multiple times a week, I've had exactly two bad theater experiences.

Every time this comes up, I ask people to name what theater they had bad experiences in, and I never get a response. It's one of those "things people say" that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reality.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  3. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Same thoughts here, and I see at least one movie each week. I average one issue with a rude moviegoer every 4-5 months.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Chris DeVoe, MRamble and RSteven like this.
  4. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

My dad will be 82 in September. He has seen the movie twice. He is not a Boomer. That's my mom, who is 75 and has seen it 6 times. The original record buying fans of Elvis were not Boomers. A Baby Boomer was born after 1945. My dad is part of a generation called the Silent generation, although they weren't really silent because they were the teenagers that everyone thought Rock and Roll was corrupting. They were the kids at the sock hops and malt shops during the earliest days of Rock and Roll. So many people think of the World War II Generation also called the Greatest Generation, then they go right to the Baby Boomers, because the Greatest Generation came home an conceived a lot of children who are called Boomers. However, there were children and teens that were born between 1928 and 1945. That's my dad's generation. The original fans of Elvis. It is also Elvis' generation. My dad was 15 when he first heard Heartbreak Hotel.

5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I'm a Gen X'er who has Silent Generation parents. I grew up on Elvis, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, etc. Then I moved on to 80's Metal in my teen years. When Grunge took over I bailed on "modern music" and went back to discover 70's bands that I missed out on.

Price.pittsburgh and RSteven like this.
  6. The third time I saw Elvis (the movie) I was in front of a row of older women and they talked incessantly - and loudly - throughout the movie.

RSteven, Myke and MRamble like this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

As much as I would advocate to anybody to see Elvis at the theater at least one time, and I have seen it there five times myself, I am really looking forward to "Elvis coming home," as Baz puts it so well in his post. There is going to be something special too about sitting on my couch or lounger with a drink and maybe some Cheez-Its on hand and watching this movie at home. I have a pretty expensive sound system with a Denon amplifier and I am excited to see how this film looks on my Samsung 75" QLED television set. I am going to have to stay up a little late tomorrow as the streaming won't be available to start until 9:00 pm. I can still get to bed by midnight, if Elvis does not leave me to wound up, Lol.

8. Mr Vertigo

Mr Vertigo Forum Resident

I saw Elvis for the second time this weekend, and just as soon as the credits started rolling I knew I had too see it again - as soon as possible :) It seems the movie has that effect on a lot of people... It really is a thrilling, beautiful, moving experience to watch it on the big screen. I've been a fan since the late 70's and went to see This Is Elvis when it opened at my local theatre in Stockholm in 1981 ... I was 12 years old, and I loved it. Can still remember the shocking effect of the ´77 performances of "Are You Lonesome Tonight" and "My Way" ... a woman next to me started crying... "That's weird", I thought... Today I don't think that reaction is weird at all. But of course, This Is Elvis wasn't that great, in retrospect... The ridiculous "Elvis" narrator for one thing ("If only I could have seen what was happening to me ... I might have done something about it."). I watched the Kurt Russell movie on video around the same time, and thought it was OK (still think its pretty good actually) but somehow it just wasn't convincing enough. It was just too far from the real thing, the magic just wasn't there. Austin Butler isn't the real thing, obviously, but he is amazing as Elvis, the magic is there, I can't imagine anyone coming closer to what Elvis was like than Butler does here. And Luhrman's over-the-top style is just right - after all, Elvis's life was so crazy, a "straight" bio pic wouldn't do it justice. But most of all, what impresses me, is that Luhrman worked so hard to give Elvis his dignity back. After all the years of ridicule (which started back in 1975, really, with the "Fat and Forty" headlines), lies and distortion of the truth ... This movie is something of a miracle, I think. That it got made at all, and that everything turned out so well (yes, even the box office numbers).

Shawn, aphexj, jeremylr and 5 others like this.
  9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I was a little underwhelmed with the film myself...
    It's very very good, but it didn't really meet my expectations.
    You can't deny how amazing the sets and the visuals are, they really worked the magic in that department.
    I thought the film lacked a really good 'storyline'.
    Maybe the film was too short and deserves an extra hour or so to be more telling.
    The Elvis story is very complex, and while it's mainly about Elvis and Tom Parker, I don't think they really
    investigated their relationship enough and in enough detail.
    I'm aware of the fact, they are probably not catering to the older diehards so much, as probably more toward bringing
    in a younger generation to learn and discover Elvis, so I guess if that is their primary goal for the film.
    The film seems set around the major events, The beginning, 68 comeback, and triumph shows at Las Vegas, end of story.
    So much substance between all events however that got looked over, some without a blink.
    But it was good watch.
    Hard to make a good film about Elvis period obviously, and I'll probably give it another watch, for a revised opinion,
    but I did feel a bit let down after these couple of years of waiting.

Brian Mc and MRamble like this.
  10. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

I think the starting point for a movie about Elvis in 2022 is to remind people that Elvis was a great artist. The film delivered on that count, was hugely entertaining and managed to correct a few erroneous myths along the way. I'm satisfied.

Am enjoying my digital version at home tonight, where I can catch the film's amazing soundscape and all the dialogue! Though my equipment would be described charitably as “vintage”, the film looks and sounds FANTASTIC.

Shawn, aphexj, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  11. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

For me the movie was better the 2nd time around.
    And this should be amazing at home if watched in 4k/hdr.

Shawn, GillyT, MRamble and 3 others like this.
  12. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I may have to see it again on BD because I finally saw it a second time in the theater last Sunday but still missed the ending due to the theater's cold AC that triggered urges for a bathroom break. Didn't eat or drink anything and went to the can before going in. I still sat on the stool for at least ten minutes and very little comes out but the urges remain. Now I know why the first time I saw it the teen girls to my right brought a quilt to keep warm. This time I made it back before the credits rolled where the real Elvis in a close up is singing. So the part after Parker is fired I missed.

And yeah, it really gripped me seeing it a second time because it ramps up the excitement with an energetic pace, no lingering to0 much on the obvious making Elvis come across more like a cultural super hero on a nuclear level like no other before or after him. He proved a human can change the world without killing anyone or going to war and still show the world a good time and look cool doing it.

13. Chris DeVoe

According to this news article:

Warner Bros. was one of the first studios to put together a new plan for theatrical distribution during the pandemic that would see all movies hitting HBO Max 45 days after they debuted in theaters, following the decision to release the WB 2020 slate day and date on HBO Max. However, that decision was made under the previous regime at WB, and according to sources at Decider, the new bosses have decided to handle HBO Max releases on a “case by case” basis. So while some films might still start streaming 45 days after release, not all of them will.

The first casualty of this new plan is Elvis starring Austin Butler as the King of Rock and Roll, and Tom Hanks as his manager Col. Tom Parker. The film was set to hit HBO Max next week under the old plan, but it has now been removed from the schedule. While it has been confirmed that Elvis will arrive on HBO Max at some point, no new release date has been announced.

14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just received an email notice that the Elvis movie is now available for me to stream with my Amazon Prime account. Oh darn, my Honey and I are right in the middle of a new Below Deck episode and I have an early appointment in the morning, but I at least plan to watch some of it before I go to bed. I know I will have trouble stopping it, once I start it, Lol.

Shawn, GillyT, artfromtex and 2 others like this.
  15. Bowie Fett

I’ve heard November.

16. Chris DeVoe

What I get from that article is basically "We're going to put it on HBO Max once we've extracted every dollar from digital rental and digital sales."

17. Bowie Fett

They’ll want physical sales too.

RSteven, Chris DeVoe and artfromtex like this.
  18. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I'm just counting the days for the 4K release. I may buy a bigger TV just for this movie.

...and football.

19. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Just purchased it on YouTube for 5 years or more. That's how they gyp you on all digital services where you buy movies. Many are unaware of this. It's worth it for at least 5 years digital on all devices, and of course I'll buy a physical copy in September. If in 5 years it vanishes, I'll buy it again. I'm watching it on my computer at work and am absolutely thrilled having it at my fingertips. I was worried it wouldn't have the same strength outside of the cinema but it does for different reasons. At the theater you have that vibe of watching it with others you don't know, being out and about doing something, and it being on such a big screen with great sound. But with private viewing you can pause it to do something, like go to the bathroom or get some food or whatever. You can also invite people over to watch it with you, especially if they haven't seen it yet. But the best thing is being able to watch your favorite scenes over and over. I'm also picking up little things already that I missed in 4 viewings at the cinema because I can rewind it.

RSteven, Bowie Fett and MRamble like this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

I just checked and it's going to be in AMC theaters for at least another week.

RSteven, MRamble and D-rock like this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

In Canada it's now available digitally - $24.99 rent - $29.99 to buy + applicable taxes

Elvis finished 9th last weekend with $3.94 million, the theatre count will start to drop rapidly so get those last viewings in over the next 2-3 weeks at most.

RSteven, MRamble and Chris DeVoe like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

On July 16th:
    It lasted a lot longer in theaters than even our most careful observers of the box office thought it would.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Vidiot, RSteven, Deuce66 and 3 others like this.
  23. NavyGrenadine

NavyGrenadine Forum Resident

Still playing two times a day in the UK through to August 16th at least. On Friday there’s three showings. On Saturday there’s four showings. I checked the 7:20 show this evening and it’s almost fully booked with roughly 55 tickets sold so far.

Looking at the iTunes Store app the movie is available to rent at £15.99 or buy at £19.99.

24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Agreed. I started watching Elvis last night and I knew I had an early appointment in the morning, but I simply could not turn the movie off. The beauty of the picture and the vivid color schemes are breathtaking to see on my Samsung QLED 75" screen. I don't think my very expensive sound system can match the one in the first theater I saw the Elvis movie in, but it sounded just terrific. Those scenes at the beginning of the movie and the scenes in Memphis just pop on the screen. The pink and purple Cadillacs really look great. How about the recreation of downtown Memphis, both in the daytime and in the evening?

Since this was actually the sixth time I have seen Elvis, but the first time at home streaming it, I was really able to focus on some particular things. I just cannot say enough about Austin Butler's performance. The scenes when he is crying over his mother's death or Priscilla leaving him are just heartrendering. One of my very favorite moments in the entire movie is when Tom Parker tells Elvis he may not represent him anymore, if the 68 Special does not get back to its Christmas theme. Austin never says an actual verbal word, but he hums slightly and takes Parker's words in very carefully. You can tell he really wants to say something, but he decides he needs time to weigh the consequences first. It is such a classic Elvis expression that I have seen in other moments with Elvis. Really great actors can act without saying a word as people often express emotions in real life without ever saying a word.

I don't know who Austin Butler's competition is going to be in the best actor Oscar category (Tom Cruise perhaps), but I admit I am going to be more than a little disappointed if Austin does not win this award. I know it's not the most important thing in the world, and I am far more exited about the overall quality and commercial success of the whole movie, but Austin has spent so much time and effort nailing his role as Elvis, he really deserves the recognition. I can hardly wait to watch the movie again at home, but I am still rooting for Elvis to stay at the theaters for as long as possible and just rake in the cash.

jeremylr, PB62, MRamble and 6 others like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

The majority of the membership of the Motion Picture Academy are actors, and they know just how difficult Austin's job was. Not to diminish Tom Hanks's performance, but there are only a couple of short clips of Colonel Tom Parker, while there are hundreds of hours of footage of Elvis Presley talking, singing and moving. So of the two men, Hanks had the far easier job - he could pretty much create a character from whole cloth, while Butler had to portray arguably the most famous and iconic person of the last century.

Put it this way, the studio could run a "For Your Consideration..." ad in the trades that was nothing but quotes from other famous and beloved actors praising Austin's work.