"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

Like any restaurant closure, lack of business. Elvis wasn't cool back then, people wanted authentic Memphis, etc.

MRamble likes this.
  2. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I bought a signed copy of Vester Presley's cookbook when I visited Graceland in 1989. I gave it to my mother who said there was nothing she could make in good conscience, and sadly it got thrown out when they downsized.

MRamble likes this.
  3. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Okay… nothing earth shaking unfortunately for me.

4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    artfromtex, MRamble, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

7. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm thinking things like Sound Editing, Visual Effects, Costumes as well. Not only was the music incredible, but the movie captured the entire span of Elvis' life to the letter.

Chris DeVoe, GillyT, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, if Catherine Martin does not win for set and costume design for Elvis, and she is already a two time Oscar winner, it will be a sad day for me. If Austin does not get nominated and win for best actor, I will also be very disappointed to say the least.

9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

MRamble, garyt1957, 905 and 5 others like this.
  10. Aldecoa

Aldecoa Forum Resident

As of today it's still playing in this little budget theatre in Anaheim, CA. I don't see it anywhere else in my area. Anaheim is about a half hour or so from me.

[​IMG]

MRamble and Shawn like this.
  11. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

12. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Still alive at the domestic box office to some extent and creeping along.
    No updated international figures in a while.
    This is through Thurs the 29th. That it's doing anything these last few weeks at the cinema is amazing, seeing as how it's been tops already on POV digital purchase across all major streaming platforms, HBO Max streaming and DVD/Blu Ray sales, and for more than one week on all of them.

DOMESTIC
    INTERNATIONAL
    WORLDWIDE

13. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

The blu ray got released here early this week, but it's still playing the odd session in cinemas around town. We are a very small market but indicative of what's happening across the ditch in Oz. Amazing to see how well this film has done. Word of mouth is the best advertising there is.

garyt1957, Chris DeVoe, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

To my surprise, it's not at my local AMC anymore even though it has 22 screens... and is still running some other mid-summer movies. :confused:

15. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

You need to write a blistering review on google :laugh:

Shawn likes this.
  16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I just got my Kurt Russell Elvis Blu-ray delivered yesterday! :)

18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Kurt does a great job as Elvis and the television movie was well done for its time. Kurt Russel is easily my second favorite Elvis of all time, right next to Austin Butler.

19. artfromtex

I bought that back in February and still haven't watched. Haven't seen that one since I was a kid.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

And for younger generations, to whom he was only a punchline, to discover the real artist.

21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't think I've seen it since it aired in 79.

artfromtex likes this.
  22. artfromtex

Yes, indeed. That will be this film's legacy, I believe. He is human again. A very rare and extraordinary human, but a human that cuts and bleeds just like the rest of us.
    It's been about that long for me as well. NBC used to play it on Sunday nights from time to time. Usually in August.

Shawn, Chris DeVoe and RSteven like this.
  23. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

My money's on Brendan Frasier. I have no idea if he was good or not cause I haven't and won't see the movie but I just think the part he plays will get him the win.

24. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

I just watched my newly purchased copy of the film. I'm still seeing new things. It struck me how the Colonel always referred to Elvis as "my boy", or "my dear boy": an understated way of asserting his authority in a one-up/one-down manner.

I also revisited some of the reviews of the film and in the process came across Irish journalist and huge Elvis fan Joe Jackson, who gave the film a hard pass, but as I discovered much to my delight, whose website/podcast contains some fantastic music & Elvis-related interviews he conducted over the years with musicians who knew, or were fans of Elvis. Jackson's interview style is relaxed, intelligent and probing. Here is a sample linked below:

Conversations about the King

Essential Elvis Prog 1: The Sun Years

Tony Joe White - his fave Elvis track was It's Now or Never - who knew??

White's astonishing story of getting woken up at 4.30am to deliver demos to Elvis' Stax sessions, illustrates how controlled the process of getting songs to Elvis still was, even at that late stage. All interesting stuff.

An excerpt from a Tom Jones interview contains some pretty confronting information about Elvis that I've never heard before. If true, it's a more plausible explanation for Elvis' passivity and weight gain in his latter years than any other explanation I've heard to date. Again if true, Frank Sinatra's efforts to reach out to Elvis at the end say a lot for the man.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

He is going to be a critical favorite for sure. He hasn't had a great role in awhile and actors and critics love comeback stories. I think Frasier will be Austin Butler's main competition as well. The question is this in my opinion. Does the Academy want to anoint a new superstar for his uncanny job impersonating the most impersonated icon in history or do they want to reward an old friend with great acting chops? It is a tough call to make for some, but easy for me. I don't plan on seeing the Frazier movie either, unless I end up streaming it later to view the competition. It just sounds like a very depressing and angst ridden movie that Hollywood loves and I usually hate, Lol.

garyt1957, 905 and Shawn like this.