"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

6: 2020 - movies grossed more worldwide than Elvis
    15: 2021 - movies grossed more w/w
    10: 2022 - movies grossed more w/w than Elvis so far add (Black Adam - Black Panther - Avatar II) will easily go over $286 million

Currently ranked 562nd worldwide (unadjusted for inflation) right behind Elysium and Oblivion.

2. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Wasn't sure if it was a cute pun. But no...

Oblivion :laugh:

3. Aldecoa

Aldecoa Forum Resident

Austin exceeded my expectations by a mile and then some. Glad you enjoyed the film. :)

4. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I watched this last night and definitely liked it overall. I've not watched any Elvis bio-pics, aside from this one, and found it tragic how his life unfolded and how it appears his handlers didn't have his best interests in mind.
    I always knew the stories, and his arc, etc. but to see it dramatized was very effective in reaching a new level of 'understanding' of what his world was like. Very sad...it seems he had absolutely everything...but nothing.

5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

longdist01, Crimson Witch and Shawn like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

7. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

A couple of observations that never hit me before. They refer to The Beatles as the teenage rockers. I even used closed caption to make sure I heard it correctly. The Beatles were certainly far from teenagers when they hit America in 1964. Also, when they have Parker say "You wanna bet? I knew that he meant that he was going to come between Elvis and his mother, after you hear Elvis say that nothing would come between them, but right after he says "You wanna bet?" he bets on the roulette wheel. I just never caught the pun. Beyond that, I think Baz wasn't just showing The Colonel as having a gambling problem, but that Parker handled Elvis' career carelessly, as like someone gambling

longdist01, RSteven and MRamble like this.
  8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Taking Care of Business or as I would call it, the Burning Love Sequence:

9. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Love that scene. I thought it were longer

10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Austin Butler, Ke Huy Quan and More Receive Virtuosos Award

Austin Butler (“Elvis”), Kerry Condon (“The Banshees of Inisherin”), Danielle Deadwyler (“Till”), Nina Hoss (“Tár”), Stephanie Hsu (“Everything Everywhere All At Once”), Jeremy Pope (“The Inspection”), Ke Huy Quan (“Everything Everywhere All At Once”) and Jeremy Strong (“Armageddon Time”) are among the recipients of Santa Barbara International Film Festival’s Virtuosos Award.

The award recognizes a select group of talent whose noteworthy performances in films which have elevated them into the national cinematic dialogue. Each will discuss their work and receive their awards in-person on Feb. 15 during the 38th SBIFF. The evening will be moderated for the 13th year by Dave Karger, Turner Classic Movies host and Entertainment Weekly awards correspondent.

Chris DeVoe and Shawn like this.
  12. Price.pittsburgh

Since 2001, it's amazing how near the top or at the top Elvis is. You can only imagine how often he was up there back in the late 70s, 80s and 90s. He's only been out of the top 5 once, but was still top 5 that year for music artists. Unfortunately that was just last year, 2022, but this is where the biopic is important. It will probably have positive impact moving forward. Still, considering that all of his rankings have been 24 to 45 years after his death, is phenomenal.

Chris DeVoe, Shawn and RSteven like this.
  13. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

Thanks. Does not seem they are matching Wal-Mart or best buy. What a deal

Shawn likes this.
  14. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

jeremylr, GillyT, Chris DeVoe and 2 others like this.
  15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

What a fantastic interview with Baz Luhrmann. Thanks so much for posting it here. I like how he goes into the controversy of how Tom Hanks plays Parker and the accent and all, but I also think the interviewer asks great questions and adds interesting context himself, including this statement below about the movie:

"The movie is not what I expected from an Elvis biopic. I described it to friends as The Last Temptation of Elvis. It’s as if Satan is telling the story of Christ and detailing the architecture of his downfall."

What a fascinating quote and one I will always remember. I loved the whole article. I love the comparison to Stanley Kubrick as well. I had already thought of that one myself. Both directors put their all in each movie they make, yet they only make a few movies over their career, but they're all bangers, Lol.

jeremylr, GillyT, Chris DeVoe and 3 others like this.
  16. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This article in the LA Times bodes well for Austin Butler and Cate Blanchett's chances of winning an Oscar. I just rented TÁR a couple of nights ago and we enjoyed it. Cate was an absolute revelation as a fictional maestro. The movie moves a lot slower than Elvis, but I found it quite interesting. I don't think it is a movie that one would want to see repeatedly like the Elvis movie, but both Cate and Austin Butler really deserve Oscars in my opinion. The two best acting performances I have seen in many a moon.

Why these actors sing a happy tune - Los Angeles Times

Shawn, GillyT, 80steen and 3 others like this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis soundtrack album wins AMA award over Top Gun Maverick and others.

FAVORITE SOUNDTRACK
    Elvis (WINNER)
    Encanto
    Sing 2
    Stranger Things: Soundtrack from the Netflix Series, Season 4
    Top Gun: Maverick

Shawn, GillyT, 905 and 2 others like this.
  19. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

20. Price.pittsburgh

RSteven and artfromtex like this.
  21. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Tried watching this last night and just couldn't get through it. I got zero Elvis vibes from this movie. The constant refrences to Elvis' connection to Black people was very fake and, to me, slightly racist. Guy playing Elvis was fine. Hanks was an awful ham. Yeah, this one ain't for me.

Ghostworld likes this.
  22. Price.pittsburgh

Then you're unaware of Elvis' actual history that has tried to be ignored by Gen Z and late millennials. Baz Luhrmann interviewed Elvis' childhood best friend Sam Bell who was black for this film and also went off the writings and interviews of B.B. King, James Brown and the documentary Elvis and the black community which interviews his black pastor and coworkers. Elvis was raised in poor black and country culture and affiliated himself with blues and R&B artists as well as country. This is why he was an original, because he naturally fused R&B and Country stylings due to his culture in the south, both African and Caucasian

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Pretty sure Chuck D was a boomer. Don't pin all of this on those darn millenials. If he can learn, so can anyone.

24. Price.pittsburgh

I said Gen Z too, yeah there's been some misinformed Boomers and Gen X but the youth of internet age has been the kicker. Fortunately the digital era has also made it easier to debunk but people don't often use it wisely. Fortunately Chuck D recanted his Fight the Power lyric and has since had good things to say about Elvis