"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Congrat's on Best Picture Nomination.

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

"Thank you. Thank you very much," says the ghost of Elvis.

Chris DeVoe and RSteven like this.
  3. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

For certain network TV is nearly on life support. It just seems like some of the stats I have heard/read about the Oscars, Grammys, etc have been particularly brutal.

You'd think that live event TV, like the Academy Awards, would retain a higher percentage of its previous viewership. It shares a commonality with live sports which are bigger than ever. Especially the NFL.

RSteven likes this.
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Scott Feinberg of The Hollywood Reporter thinks the race for Best Picture is wide open at this year's upcoming Academy Awards due to the preferential voting procedures.

Everything Everywhere is up for a field-leading 11 nominations — only 30 films have ever received more — but because of the unusual preferential ballot that the Academy employs for best picture voting, the most nominated film has not prevailed in that category in recent years. Based on that system of voting and the overall nominations landscape, I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of a win by Maverick, Elvis, The Fabelmans, Banshees or even All Quiet on the Western Front, a German-language film from Netflix which is tied with Banshees for the second-most noms of the year, nine, and is just the 13th primarily non-English-language film ever nominated for best picture. (A prior version of All Quiet on the Western Front won best picture 92 years ago.)

Chris DeVoe and GillyT like this.
  6. jeremylr

jeremylr Forum Resident

Sharing from the Lisa memorial thread.......

Here's a tribute interview I am finally ready to part with, "Songwriting Therapy from the Bruised Soul of Lisa Marie Presley," which was 10 years in the making. Lisa opens the wound on her songwriting, "Storm & Grace," "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet," "Storm of Nails," "Weary," "So Long," T Bone Burnett, Nashville, ex-husband Michael Lockwood, love at first sight, and perfect days. If interested, you can find it in my "Truck Driver Who Dared to Rock" column on Medium.

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I will have to double check the TV listings later on to be sure, but I believe that next week Tuesday (01/31/2023) Fox will be airing a TMZ special about Lisa Marie Presley.

jeremylr likes this.
  8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

‘Elvis’ Director Baz Luhrmann Inks First-Look Deal with Warner Bros.

Warner Bros. is staying in the Baz Luhrmann business. The filmmaker has inked a first-look deal with the studio, following his work with Warners on Elvis, which received eight Oscar nominations on Tuesday.

Elvis was a box office win as the rare adult drama to succeed in an era in which superheroes and horror dominate the landscape. It earned $287.3 million globally, and overcame star Tom Hanks contracting the coronavirus in the early days of the pandemic.

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Earlier I said:

... and I found the quote. It was actually civil rights photojournalist Ernest Withers, as posted by @Price.pittsburgh:

10. artfromtex

Awesome.

11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis Baz Luhrmann First Look Deal Warner Bros Pictures 8 ...Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: As Warner Bros Pictures continues to find its footing under new management, the studio on Thursday secured the services of a cornerstone filmmaker, signing a first-look deal with its Elvis director-writer-producer Baz Luhrmann.

The deal was made by Warner Bros. Pictures Group co-chairs and CEOs Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy. This comes on the heels of eight Academy Award nominations including Best Picture that the film received Tuesday. Already the top-grossing original film in the Oscar crop with $151 million domestic and $287 million worldwide — the second-highest musical biopic gross worldwide — Elvis is poised to build that number further as the film returns to theaters across North America this weekend for a limited engagement.

12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Just got the BluRay as it’s discounted now. Enjoyed it in the cinema and looking forward to a second viewing. Austin Butler and the movie deserve their acting and best picture Oscar nods in my view, but not to win.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Who's going today?

14. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Lots of reasons it doesn't , I used to love the Oscars .
    Very little big stars anymore, won't keep their traps shut about politics, their self importance and long speeches are worse than ever, the movies are largely uninteresting.
    I have been disappointed in nearly all the touted ones in last few years, and I made sure to see the best pic noms for a long time.
    So past couple years I pay just a little attention, this year only two I might see. Last year none.

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Clarification!: The TMZ Lisa Marie Presley special airs on Monday 01/30/23 at 7:00pm Central/8:00pm Eastern.

Shawn likes this.
  16. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Maybe not today, but the theatre I saw the fan screening on the Tuesday before original release has it through the weekend, so I may be going sometime this weekend!

Price.pittsburgh and RSteven like this.
  17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oscar Shakeup: Mandy Walker Is Now the Cinematography Frontrunner. She’d Be the First Woman to Win - IndieWire
    As one Oscar winner said of the "Elvis" DP: "She did a fabulous job, it would be well deserved. I think everyone would agree as well."

2023 Oscars: Mandy Walker Could Be First Woman to Win ...

18. Price.pittsburgh

Just watched it at the cinema again, making it my 5th overall in a theater. This movie in all categories nominated is more than deserving and it's criminal they snubbed Baz. If It doesn't win multiple technical categories and Austin actor, I will lose all respect for the Academy, which has already lost much credibility in recent years. I'll be borderline against it if it doesn't win Best Picture, because the way everything is brought together in the movie with all the categories represented by the Oscar nominations, and the outstanding performance by Austin, the movie is an absolute spectacle and event. Austin played Elvis convincingly, on stage and off, over 3 decades and many periods

19. artfromtex

Personally I feel as you do. But, in my head, I know the awards are subjective.

However, the one category that is the biggest no brainer is Costume Design. Nothing else even comes close. Not only for 2022, either. I think "ELVIS" is an all-timer in that category.

willy, raveoned, Chris DeVoe and 5 others like this.
  20. PB62

PB62 Forum Resident

I agree with all of that.

A few other thoughts… I think the last time I cared about and watched the Oscar’s start to finish was 96 when two films I loved that year, Braveheart and Apollo 13 were up for best pic. I think the last time I kind of watched them was when the brilliant Gran Torino lost to the utterly bad, IMO, Slumdog Millionaire for political reasons. Never looked back and you couldn’t pay me to watch or care anymore.

That said…. I hope Elvis takes home some trophies if just for nothing less than to make RSteven’s day. I admire the passion and commitment he and others like Art and Gilly have placed into their love of this movie.

jeremylr, 905, GillyT and 4 others like this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Thanks so much for that shout-out my friend. And we cannot forget about @MRamble and @Shawn's endorsement and enthusiasm for the Elvis movie. In fact, @MRamble's early posts were just outstanding and contagious. He practically became our de-facto thread leader.

I think @artfromtex called the most likely for sure Elvis Oscar win with Catherine Martin for Costume and Production Design. Next for me is Austin Butler (nevertheless, it will be a very tough three-way race with Brendan Fraser and Colin Farrell). I also think Mandy Walker is now the surprising, but well deserving front runner for cinematography. I see three to five likely wins for Elvis the movie, and I cannot rule it out winning for Best Picture, if it has a great night sweeping the technical categories.

I was right with you when the fantastic Gran Torino lost to that highly overrated Slumdog Millionaire movie.

Shawn, GillyT, MRamble and 1 other person like this.
  22. Price.pittsburgh

So who thought when this thread opened with the above post almost a year ago that we'd be here talking about 8 Oscar nominations, including picture and actor, on top of a Golden Globe win for the lead actor and it being a huge financial success?

willy, raveoned, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You have been reading my mind, my friend. The success of this movie has been way beyond even my wildest and optimistic projections. It has been a true blessing, after putting up with such cultural and critical non-sense on Elvis over the years. What a gift Baz, Austin, Catherine, Mandy and the whole Elvis team gave us Elvis diehards!

willy, Aldecoa, raveoned and 6 others like this.
  24. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Really? Even with the quality of acting work represented by the other leading men in the category, like Brenden Fraser?

25. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Those early days were sure fun!

Shawn, GillyT, RSteven and 1 other person like this.