"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I didn't think the movie was as good as people are saying on here, but even I believe Austin should win the Oscar. He simply was Elvis Presley in the movie, no doubt about that.

MRamble, Shawn, RSteven and 6 others like this.
  2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

3. Aldecoa

Aldecoa Forum Resident

Elvis is still playing here in select theatres in Southern California. It's popped up here and there in a few theatres near me for a night or two. There must be demand still for folks who want to see it on the big screen. Amazing, with the film streaming and released on physical media. :)

4. Price.pittsburgh

I mentioned on a post over a week ago that Regal is going to have it back on March 3, 4 and 5. I saw it twice more at the cinema at the end of January and will be going back at least once more. Unfortunately, the closest Regal to me is about 45 minutes, but my nephew lives in that town so I'll make a day of the trip. Maybe spend the night and go again the next day for twice in that town

5. 80steen

80steen John McClane

A few little observations:

At the Hayride during How Do You Think I Feel their are four claps after the first line, but only two after the second one. Sounded better with four. Not sure why they went to two.

When they play I'm Coming Home while moving into Graceland, it follows Parker saying about Heartbreak Hotel -But that first record changed everything, but for those who didn't know better or because they aren't really making Heartbreak Hotel overly prominent in the scene, they might think I'm Coming Home is what Parker was speaking of, because it immediately follows his comment.

During the scene where Elvis is in bed with a groupie during the 70s and he gets his gun, just before that you can hear them replay Parker saying his line from the house of mirrors about being on the road and pretending nothing has changed when everything has.

6. Aldecoa

Aldecoa Forum Resident

Yeah I'm thinking of going again myself. There was a theatre showing it, just 10 minutes from work, but only for a night or two.

MRamble, WinstonOno, 80steen and 2 others like this.
  7. 80steen

80steen John McClane

When are the BAFTAs 2023 on TV?
    The EE BAFTAs will take place on Sunday 19 February. You can watch the awards at home from 7pm-9pm on BBC One in the UK. You can stream live or catch-up on BBC iPlayer.

It was previously announced that, for the first time, the BAFTAs will culminate in a live broadcast of the final four categories.

This enables audiences to be a part of the excitement at the Royal Festival Hall, and experience the nominee and winners’ reactions in real-time.

8. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Okay, so I just got finished watching Everything Everywhere All at Once and I'm seriously thinking to myself, this is an Oscar Frontrunner, that also won a Golden Globe for Musical or Comedy and was up for best director at the Globes and is as well for the Oscars. Fair enough. Nothing wrong with over the top films getting proper recognition. But at the same time people get on Baz for his unique style of filmmaking but are falling all over themselves for this movie and its directors

RSteven, MRamble, WinstonOno and 2 others like this.
  9. WinstonOno

WinstonOno Forum Resident

I've yet to see a movie or acting performance this past year on par with the magnificent spectacle which is "Elvis" or the incredibly dynamic performance by Austin Butler.

Chris DeVoe, 905, Aldecoa and 2 others like this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

11. MikaelaArsenault

Why Austin Butler Drank Häagen-Dazs Like Ryan Gosling for 'Elvis'

Aldecoa and RSteven like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

13. MikaelaArsenault

14. MikaelaArsenault

15. MikaelaArsenault

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. Price.pittsburgh

18. Aldecoa

Aldecoa Forum Resident

19. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

20. Price.pittsburgh

Shawn, 80steen and RSteven like this.
  21. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    Price.pittsburgh and RSteven like this.
  22. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Besides the American Music Award for Best Soundtrack, Elvis also won best soundtrack at the
    13th Hollywood Music in Media Awards

Price.pittsburgh, MRamble and RSteven like this.
  23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

How many people saw this coming at the BAFTA Awards (British version of the Oscars) today? The Elvis movie also scored three other awards for Costume Design, Hair & Makeup and Casting (another surprise win for the movie). So Austin Butler has won two Best Actor awards already for his acting role in Elvis. Catherine Martin won the award for Best Costume, which must make Baz particularly proud of his wife.

Leading Actor

Austin Butler, Elvis – WINNER
    Colin Farrell, The Banshees Of Inisherin
    Brendan Fraser, The Whale
    Daryl Mccormack, Good Luck To You, Leo Grande
    Paul Mescal, Aftersun
    Bill Nighy, Living

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    905, WinstonOno, GillyT and 5 others like this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

BAFTA Awards 2023: 'All Quiet,' 'Elvis,' 'Banshees,' more win big - USA Today

Austin Butler was a surprise best actor winner for "Elvis." Baz Lurhmann's flamboyant musical also won trophies for casting, costume design and hair and makeup. Cate Blanchett won the best actress prize for orchestral drama "Tár.

I was thrilled about Cate Blanchett winning for her fantastic fictional portrayal of a female maestro in a field usually dominated by men. She was marvelous in this movie as was Austin in Elvis. My top two picks for the Oscar as well in their respective categories.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    WinstonOno, Aldecoa and Shawn like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Austin Butler Pays Tribute to Lisa Marie Presley Following BAFTA Win: ‘It’s Been a...

Elvis” star Austin Butler has paid tribute to Lisa Marie Presley following his BAFTA win for Best Actor on Sunday evening.

“It’s been a really unimaginably tragic time, you know, and grief is a long process,” Butler said in the winners’ press room following his win. “And so my heart and my love was with [the Presley family] always. I feel honoured to have been welcomed into the family. It’s a bittersweet time.”

Butler also expressed how lucky he felt to portray the legendary singer, a thought that often crossed his mind while he was making the film. “How lucky I was to get to have that experience,” he said. “The feeling of standing on an international stage and looking out and looking down at the jumpsuit that I was wearing and realizing there were certain moments where I was seeing the closest thing to what Elvis would have seen during his ’68 Special or whatever that was and I miss it a lot. I miss that experience.”