"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. WinstonOno

WinstonOno Forum Resident

He's dealing with rich people's problems lol

905, willy, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

fair enough. ; ) tough life indeed...

3. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Like Austin?
    ‘Elvis’ Prosthetic Designers Jason Baird & Mark Coulier – Deadline

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Oatsdad and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  4. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

He said it's his opinion lol

5. WinstonOno

Biopic fatigue is more than likely, but your stronger point is how good he did going over their heads. They just don't know the smallest details of Elvis like his fans do. I know if they studied Elvis there is no way they all wouldn't go Austin's way. Over time some of them may come across Elvis interviews and performances and think Oh My, I remember Austin doing those things, I may have been wrong.
    "Elvis" getting shutout is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever witnessed.

6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Wow, the disdain you show for the success of the movie is rearing its very ugly head again. You must be delighted by Brendan Fraser, who as one Oscar voter said recently, "Will go down in history as winning the Best Actor Oscar for the worst movie in the history of the award ceremony, Lol.

7. WinstonOno

8. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Sure it could. These are industry awards and Baz Lurhman is very popular and connected in the industry.

And Elvis himself is one of the most popular US celebrities ever. The film would literally have had to be an unwatchable mess in order to *not* get many nominations.

9. 80steen

80steen John McClane

10. NettleBed

Are you kidding? Most likely, this will be only slightly more remembered than the Elton John movie.
    And the only specific thing this movie will be remembered for is Tom Hanks' silly portrayal of the colonel. Some will ask if that's what he was really like, prompting those who actually know to explain the ridiculous creative decision behind it.

Oatsdad and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  11. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

12. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Weird, fixed.

a customer likes this.
  13. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I'm aware but the "IMO" has become as weak as the "lol" when trying to sound less condescending than they're really being. At least IMO :laugh:

14. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

How do you figure? The actor had prosthetics applied for every scene they're in the movie, clearly this was something Baz and co deemed necessary for the performance to be fully realized.

I write as a person who doesn't have a problem with movies using makeup to help sell the look of a performance.

MichaelH and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  15. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Well at least you think it's watchable

NettleBed likes this.
  16. NettleBed

I did. I thought it was overall decent, despite the problems. I'd give it a B-

MichaelH likes this.
  17. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Get over it dude.

MichaelH and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  18. WinstonOno

The emotional scenes by Austin don't rely on prosthetics to attempt to make those moments more authentic. He has none on or very very little in Gladys's closet or barely more at the bottom of the Graceland steps. Without the fat suit pushing the narrative of the character, Fraser's actual acting isn't as strong on its own merits

19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Hey, I am 63 years old, so don't call me dude. Like I said, you should be in a great mood celebrating the fact that the movie you didn't like did not win any awards. If you liked this movie, I would have to hate it on sheer principal, Lol.

905 likes this.
  20. 80steen

80steen John McClane

You should hangout with Billy Smith.

21. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I don't agree with this. The makeup needs the performer to bring it to life. Fraser's acting efforts were supported by makeup, Austin's acting efforts were supported by makeup, including the much lauded emotional crescendo to the movie (though to these eyes Unchained Melody was one of the weakest makeup jobs in the movie).

And we're not even talking about Tom Hank's character. Arguably Elvis relied more on prosthetics to sell its story than The Whale did. Which is not a problem for me, makeup is part of the illusion in show business.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  22. WinstonOno

I didn't mention the Unchained Melody scene. I'm talking about when he loses his mom and wife. Those moments could have applied to any person not just Elvis. Fraser needed a fat suit to make his anger and depression feel more real

23. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Maybe if I were 63-50, perhaps I might think that way? ;)

I'm not elated or down or otherwise about the Oscars. I just didn't think the Elvis movie was on the level deserving of the awards it ultimately didn't win.

Austin will get his moment someday, I think he has it in him, Elvis wasn't it.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  24. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

What an absolute off the mark take.:crazy: You have to be trolling.

The Whale was “fat suit” the movie. The whole movie is about the horror of the “fat suit” and turning it into a grotesque spectacle.

25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Let's remember that Rami Malek won for his portrayal of Freddie Mercury..and there was much better acting elsewhere that year

MichaelH, Aldecoa, WinstonOno and 4 others like this.