"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. 80steen

80steen John McClane

That's why I keep stating to myself that he did win best actor, just not there.

The Golden Globes may only have 105 voters, but BAFTA has 7,500 and the AACTA International has 2,000.

And SAG and Critics Choice don't make a single list of international prestige, but the Globes and BAFTA are near the top of all on them and BAFTA is always second.

The International Press Academy Satellite Award he won is actually a far bigger media membership than the Globes Hollywood Forgien Press, but it isn't televised.

Plus, I'll take those smaller ones too he got from Sunset Circle and Minnesota Film Critics Alliance.

That Spain Sant Jordi for foreign film for him is gravy too.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I still find it shady that A24, and independent company, dominated the Oscars between two films and in complete contrast with BAFTA.
    EEAAO and The Whale were nominated for 13 Oscars, but since both had 3 supporting actress role nominations between both movies, two of the losses in those categories can't be considered as not going A24's way. That means of the 13 combined, they won 9 of 11 possible

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    WinstonOno, 80steen and RSteven like this.
  3. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Can't claim I'm trying to be deceptive.

The AACTA International chapter is only made up of 190 members and not the 1500 to 2000 that is the domestic version.

Still, BAFTA is 7,500 and I found that the voting body of the Hollywood Foreign Press is around 20.

The following shows the level of the voters for the AACTA International.

"The AACTA International Film Awards are determined by AACTA’s International Chapter who vote across the seven categories. The International Chapter is made up of 190 Australian screen professionals with distinguished international credentials. Many International Chapter members are also members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS and the Oscars), BAFTA, the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), and the HFPA (Golden Globes)."

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Price.pittsburgh and RSteven like this.
  4. 80steen

80steen John McClane

OMG I meant 200 make up the Hollywood Foreign Press not 20. My point is it's not the 105 I mentioned before but 200.

"The voting body overall is made up of 200 members that are 52% female and 51.5% “racially and ethnically diverse” with 19.5% Latinx, 12% Asian, 10% Black and 10% Middle Eastern members. The statement says that the voting body also includes individuals who self-identify as LGBTQIA+, though specific numbers regarding sexual orientation were not provided.

Additionally, the voting body now represents a wider geographic range, with 43.5% of voters being from Europe, 18.5% from Latin America, 17% from Asia, 9% from the Middle East and 7% from Africa."

I think with Austin winning the Globe from so many foreign decent voters, it lines up with his BAFTA and AACTA International wins and shows that Fraser's boycott had no impact.

Fraser just didn't do well from an international standpoint.

I think we know why

Price.pittsburgh and RSteven like this.
  5. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

As soon as that whole media beat-up started about his voice, I thought uh-oh... it just seemed so manufactured. He didn't/doesn't sound like Elvis to me. Not even close.

6. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Yeah, there were some that were rightfully taking it as him immersing himself in the role so thoroughly that his voice changed. Even if it didn't sound like Elvis, it had a deeper tone and at times it was trembling.

Unfortunately a slew of morons took it as him either faking it or were wrongly on him for not being able to break character.

Price.pittsburgh, RSteven and Aldecoa like this.
  7. 80steen

80steen John McClane

So I just realized that I and maybe some others, have been guilty, but not for good reason, of referring to BAFTA as an acronym for British Academy of Film and Television Awards, when in fact it stands for British Academy of Film and Television Arts.

However the awards show for films is called British Academy of Film Awards, so that at least explains some of the mistakes

8. WinstonOno

WinstonOno Forum Resident

Looks like you missed the edit by 12 minutes, but at least you caught it.

80steen likes this.
  9. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I watched the movie and I was very pleasantly surprised. Don't know the director but he gave the movie an incredible sense of energy, especially during the performances. Coupled with an outstanding performance by Butler it really was an enjoyable biopic. There are so many details, from set design to clothing to subtle movements that at time I had to be reminded it was Butler playing the part of Elvis.
    I can only imagine how hard it is to play the part of one of the most famous people in music history but he absolutely nailed it.

a customer, 905, Chris DeVoe and 8 others like this.
  10. Price.pittsburgh

Compare these clips.
    The first one is a link from Spinout of Elvis shouting, followed by a YouTube clip of Austin shouting as Elvis.
    The next two are comparable links of 70s Elvis yelling on stage.
    Austin was so much better than people know.
    He even does the higher pitched yelling by younger Elvis earlier in the film that sounds like that era's Elvis movies.

Phebe ⚡️Elvis Presley fan account ⚡️19 on Instagram: "Elvis in Spinout #elvispresleyfanpage #spinout #elvisfan #iloveyou #funny #elvisfunny"

https://youtu.be/wXH95kHlj7A

https://youtu.be/wNBRTa6hk4I

Jord, RSteven, Sinatra Guy and 2 others like this.
  11. WinstonOno

Finally got around to these and it makes me angry how so many were just ignorant to the level Austin went, and these clips are only a small segment of the ridiculous amount of areas he captured.

I don't think they could have or would have ever Not voted for him if they knew every little thing he completely owned.

No narrative or performances, even when both combined, can ever come close to what Austin Butler pulled off as Elvis Presley.

I'm very happy that several major groups recognized this and rightfully awared him, and I guess it could have been worse, but it should have been so much better.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  12. Sinatra Guy

Sinatra Guy Well-Known Member

Just finished "Elvis" again and boy what a great movie.

I said before I recently watched Banshees of Inisherin and The Whale and didn't think either lead performance was as worthty of any best actor prize as Austin Butler's.

The good news as mentioned is that he was awarded for his performance many times.

He did officially win best actor and with some pretty prestigious groups.

Yeah, yeah, the Oscars are what the average person thinks of first but those individuals are the same people who forget all about it in a few months.

I'm of the opinion that anyone who claims Butler didn't deserve all acting awards or didn't vote for him, either aren't familiar enough with Elvis Presley's personality and his performances, or they just went with actors they already liked more.

You can never really trust where people's convictions are coming from.

Austin Butler with his portrayal will forever be linked to Elvis and that's far more important than the thoughts of non Elvis fans.

13. WinstonOno

Fraser was big to his base. The U.S or North America.
    Critics Choice is the States and some Canada, and Screen Actors Guild and The Oscars are Hollywood types.

Austin's victories against him from the United Kingdom, Australia and from the Forgien Press, are far more diverse voters and clearly more objective

14. 80steen

80steen John McClane

This a good video. One of the captions is misleading

15. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I was just thinking, besides us discussing that the story is told by an 87 year old man on morphine, it could also be interpreted that the entire story is being told within Parker's dream while unconscious.
    It's not like in real life he actually woke up to tell the story, and at the end they show him lying there as he dies, with the same oxygen mask being removed that was placed on him at the start of the film.
    Also, at the beginning they open his eye, and it shows the imagery inside of his eye that represents what's going on in his brain.

We know the story ends as Parker passes away, but it also starts only after he's no longer awake.

a customer, 905, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  16. 80steen

80steen John McClane

It appears the photos I posted the other day of Austin's biggest wins disappeared due to them being copied and pasted.
    I'll reshare them here the correct way and then on a post beneath this, I'll share some new ones that I made myself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  17. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Here's the others I made myself
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Price.pittsburgh

May 7 is the IFTA The Irish Film and Television Academy ceremony. Their category for international actor includes Austin but not Farrell or Fraser. Farrell is up for lead actor for Irish actors but not nominated vs everyone else

19. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Once again, as with The Hollywood Foreign Press (Golden Globe) United Kingdom (BAFTA) AACTA International (Australia) Non U.S. voters aren't swayed by comeback or lifetime achievement narrative.

Sinatra Guy, WinstonOno and RSteven like this.
  20. 80steen

80steen John McClane

@Price.pittsburgh I looked it up. What's interesting is that, not only is Fraser not nominated, but they selected two Americans, so he had a shot.

[​IMG]

21. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Then again you may have to submit to the academy, but I'd find it odd that Austin, Colin and Tom all submitted and not Brendan.

Sinatra Guy, WinstonOno and RSteven like this.
  22. Price.pittsburgh

Even though we know that those 11 breakthrough and most promising awards are far beneath what Austin deserved, any official win shouldn't be dismissed. Especially when you consider that in those categories he's going up against both male and female actors.
    Also, we've heard Baz say this a few times, but what he says at the beginning of this truly is the greatest award in relation to Priscilla and Lisa. Also, I'll add, if you think it's ridiculous that Austin wasn't winning all lead actor awards, there were actually two smaller bodies who gave breakthrough performance to Stephanie Hsu over him. I mean you limit the criteria down to breakthrough performance and give it to someone in a supporting role over everything Austin did as Elvis in a leading role? That shows you how simple minded people who vote on all of the awards can be. There was also one that nominated him out of 10 actors for lead actor and he came in 10th. Seriously, 10th place. That means if we assume from the usual suspects that they had Colin Farrell, Brendan Fraser, Tom Cruise, Bill Nighy and Paul Mescal ahead of him. They still had 4 more actors beyond them ahead of Austin as Elvis. So the level of sheer stupidity on some of this is just unreal.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  23. WinstonOno

I'm more and more convinced that Austin Butler gave the greatest performance in history.

History will prove all his wins were right, and his losses were wrong.

It won't even take very long for this to be realized.

The more people who watch the movie overtime and decide to go down the Elvis rabbit hole, the more people will see how ridiculous any loss was and how authentic his wins were.

24. 80steen

80steen John McClane

No doubt

25. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I figured since you added him holding trophies for lead actor wins for the Golden Globe and BAFTA, I'd show a couple on him holding newbie awards from the Palm Springs Film Festival (Breakthrough Performance Award) and Santa Barbara Film Festival (Virtuoso Award) These are the only two of his 11 up and coming wins that actually have ceremonies and/or trophies being that they're from film festivals and not just film critic sites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]