"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I think about that a lot and you spot on my friend. The fact is this movie will have the most important affect on Elvis's legacy over the following decades and for future generations to come. Most prospective Elvis fans will never get around to reading the great biographies on Elvis by Peter Guralnick and Jerry Hopkins, but they will end up seeing this movie, if they are the least bit interested in Elvis Presley.

The fact that this movie got so many Oscar nominations and won so many other very prestigious awards is merely icing on the cake. I am so grateful for the commercial and artistic success of this film. I cannot thank Baz Luhrmann, Austin Butler, Catherine Martin and Mandy Walker enough as well as every other soul that had anything to do with making this spectacular movie. Bravo to all that lent a hand to this truly amazing film.

2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Forgot to mention when I visited Memphis last week I was in a gift shop and the owner of the shop asked her young female employee if she knew who left some merchandise behind and the girl responds "It's that mAAn" and it immediately reminded me of the mom watching Elvis/Austin on Milton Berle when the senator asks Who the Hell is that and his wife says "It's that bOOy..." not just the way the last words were drawn out but the "It's that" starting off the sentence. That's some great research by Baz.

80steen and RSteven like this.
  3. 80steen

80steen John McClane

A BAFTA reaction video I hadn't seen yet popped up on my recommendations and this one guy made a good point, that IMO also applies to other international bodies where Fraser did poorly and Austin did so well with.

He said that Brits aren't going to identify with a 600 pound man who masturbates while eating a meatball sandwich the way Americans would :laugh:

4. WinstonOno

WinstonOno Forum Resident

It won't age well I can assure you, and neither will any of his wins. Not only his his performance cringy it reinforces stereotypes of the morbidly obese. Had Tom Hanks, Christian Bale, Leonardo Dicaprio, Brad Pitt etc. taken on the same role they would have been crucified regardless of how well they acted. Fraser got a pass because people saw in Charlie's misery, Brendan's personal misery and got all in their feelings for his personal life. We saw before they ever got on Hanks choice of accent as Parker how he was attacked over fat suit

On another subject we discussed before the Elvis soundtrack losing at the
    Grammys but winning at the American Music Awards, the Hollywood Media in Music Awards and the Guild of Music Supervisors Awards, but it also won the New York Film Critics Online Awards

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    RSteven, Price.pittsburgh and 80steen like this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

Thought I'd offer an examination of Austin Butler's lead a actor wins.
    @80steen will appreciate my effort and me paraphrasing him at times.

Hollywood Foreign Press Golden Globe, Drama category. The third most celebrated acting award in the world and probably second to the average U.S. citizen. Represents 50 different countries and has been around since 1944. It doesn't matter that Brendan Fraser had issues with the Hollywood Foreign Press or that he boycotted the ceremony. He wouldn't have won this one regardless. Austin did exceptionally well with international bodies, with 9 of his 12 lead wins coming from non U.S. groups. Also, they didn't even have to nominate Fraser because he didn't submit consideration to be nominated, yet his performance was good enough to gain a nomination against their own protocol. The Foreign Press had offered Fraser two formal apologies in the past and held no grudges. As well, the ones who nominated him are the ones who he had a problem with, not the voters from around the world. He had as much chance of winning as Austin. Some even predicted a Fraser win as a way for the Forgien Press to make things right.
    British Academy of Film and Television Arts BAFTA. The second most celebrated acting award in the world, and most prestigious in the UK and some other locations of Europe. Established in 1947. Also, the second largest film awards academy, with 7,500 film industry members. This was a massive win for Austin and far and away his biggest, and if I'm completely honest, seeing how things worked out, one he had to have. The win is especially significant when you consider he went against highly acclaimed British actor Bill Nighy, as well as Brendan Fraser and Colin Farrell, and Farrell was part of a UK produced film and both supporting role wins came from that production.
    Australian AACTA Domestic and International versions. With the movie "Elvis" being made in Australia it may appear that the domestic version would be an automatic for Austin. Still, it's 900 members so nothing is a given, and of the 4 actors in Australian made films, 3 of them were Australian actors in Australian made films. The international win was significant because not only did he have to go against Farrell and Fraser, but also widely loved Australian actor Hugh Jackman, and for a ceremony which gave actress to Australian Cate Blanchett.
    Irish Film and Television Academy IFTA (International Category) The second largest body of voters Austin won with at 1,000. Between it and the BAFTA it further solidified his greatness in that part of the world.
    International Press Academy Satellite. Represents 20 different countries. Fraser won here for the Drama category and Austin for Comedy or Musical. Austin had to beat Colin Farrell in the same category Farrell won for at the Golden Globes. Meaning that Austin won two international media awards in two seperate categories vs Farrell in one (Satellite) and Fraser in the other (Golden Globe)
    Catalonia Spain Sant Jordi. Won here for actor in a Forgien Film from a media group that's been awarding films since 1957. Often their foreign film winners are from Spanish decent but outside of Spain, so Austin's win here is pretty impressive.
    Sunset Circle, Minnesota Film Critics, South African Online Film Critics and CinEuphoria.These, like most film critics bodies are small groups but I really dig these four wins because they went against the grain for Austin. Film critics are well known to prefer slow and/or dark performances. This is why Colin Farrell won about 35 of them and Brendan Fraser about 20. Austin in his defense was nominated by a whopping 50 film critics bodies, which says a lot when you consider that Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury only got about 20 and Taron Egerton as Elton John only a handful. Think about that. Rami Malek who eventually was given a Golden Globe, SAG, BAFTA and Oscar, received 30 less film critics nominations than Austin did. Also, of those 50 critics nominations, a few of them had breakthrough performance categories of which Austin won 11. His other two for breakthrough were with Film Festivals for a total of 13.
    CinEuphoria was shared with Fraser in their international category, but the most impressive is South African Online Film Critics. They were established back in 1990 before they could even be online. Traditionally their nominations and wins are for films and performances of African interest and by those who are African or of African decent. Austin winning here really speaks to the magnitude of his performance.
    People's Choice. A pretty cool win voted on by the people online
    That's 12 lead actor wins, combined with 13 Breakthrough Performance wins for a total of 25.

6. Sinatra Guy

Sinatra Guy Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed your detailed points about each award.

Price.pittsburgh and RSteven like this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Can you please post that video link my friend. That is the funniest thing I have heard all week. It is also right on the money. :righton:

8. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Starts at 9:50. I had some of the wording wrong, I said meatball instead of hoagie and he's saying that Americans identity with him more than Brits do but same meaning

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  9. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Just noticed on the film that when Jimmie Rodgers Snow puts on the That's All Right record an RCA Victor single is what's lying next to the record player and was probably what he removed.

10. 80steen

80steen John McClane

One of three clips to show how prestigious and significant The BAFTAs are. Other two are below.

11. 80steen

80steen John McClane

One of three videos showing how prestigious and significant The BAFTAs are. One is above and another below.

12. 80steen

80steen John McClane

One of three videos to show how prestigious and significant The BAFTAs are. The other two are above.

13. Price.pittsburgh

So I joined a couple of British film and television groups on FB just to further inquire about how BAFTA is viewed vs the Oscars there. I also posted the same question on the Elvis movie group that has tons of Brits. The general consensus is that the BAFTAs throughout Great Britain and the UK is at the very least on par with the Oscars, and even above to some.

14. WinstonOno

This I pretty much knew which is why I need to move to Britain so I can live among the culture that knows Austin won the most prestigious acting award there is :laugh:

15. Price.pittsburgh

Sinatra Guy, 80steen and WinstonOno like this.
  16. Price.pittsburgh

There are only four Film industry member academies that are fully international with categories, or have seperate international categories or versions. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Oscars) British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTAs) Irish Academy of Film and Television (IFTAs) Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTAs)

Austin won 3 of them

There are only 3 worldwide prestigious awards for acting that make every list, The Golden Globe, The BAFTA and Oscar.

Austin won 2 of them

Sinatra Guy and RSteven like this.
  17. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Happy Father's Day to my Elvis and Austin as Elvis fans

18. Price.pittsburgh

I posted a question on the Elvis movie fan group on FB, asking who became Elvis fans because of the movie or Austin's portrayal, or who were casual fans that became avid fans for those reasons? I got tons of responses from people saying they were never fans and now because of the movie and Austin they're obsessed with Elvis, and a bunch who said they were casual fans and they liked Elvis okay, but now they're huge fans.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
    Sinatra Guy, jeremylr, neo123 and 2 others like this.
  19. 80steen

80steen John McClane

20. Price.pittsburgh

Today, June 23, was the one year anniversary of the release of the Elvis movie, and the 24th the world release.

It's been a great year

21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

My gosh that year went by fast. What a year for Elvis fans. I just scored at an eBay auction a rare RIAA platinum award for Elvis going over the 100 million albums sold mark in 2002. Supposedly only 40 copies made and I saw the exact same one hanging at the Entertainer museum at Graceland last November. It's a beauty, but really has to be seen in person to appreciate it fully. It also has several pictures of the various highlights of his career. This is my fourth RIAA Elvis award in my collection, but this is my favorite by far.

22. 80steen

80steen John McClane

The RIAA, another American Elvis screw job like the Oscars and Grammy's :laugh: I get they're U.S. so they're not going to count international sales, but if they're going to start their certifications at five hundred thousand, than they should offer additional certifications for every 500,000 sold in between the following million levels. Example 1.5 million 2.5 million etc. Elvis could have an album that's at 1.8 million in the states right now, but to them it's 1 million until it reaches the additional two hundred thousand. They don't even credit it at 1.5 million.
    Then, even though they certify his singles, they don't include them in his overall sales on their lists, only albums. The album lists are misleading enough for not including all the less than five hundred thousand sales of certain albums, and all the sales in-between each million, but not adding singles sales at all is ridiculous. If they did both or even just singles, they'd never have him as the U.S. second best selling solo artist. A few years ago they had him at the top even with their restricted albums criteria, then changed their policy that somehow reduced his total album certification total by 6 million or more.

Shawn, Sinatra Guy, jeremylr and 3 others like this.
  23. WinstonOno

Just watched the movie again for it's one year anniversary.

24. Price.pittsburgh

25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Very cool work by @Price.pittsburgh in his videos above. What a nice tribute to Austin Butler.