"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

If I was managing Austin Butler's career, and clearly it is about to explode, I would advise him against any further Elvis projects other than promoting this film in the media. He needs to concentrate on his next project, which hopefully will show his diversity and range as an actor. He was fantastic playing an evil Charles Manson follower in Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If you're in the Kansas City area, next week it will still be in the AMC Prime auditorium at Barrywood 24. This is my favorite image quality of any theater, as good as Dolby Cinema with the addition of bass shakers in each seat.

[​IMG]

3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh geez, I forgot to say my lady gave the Elvis film a 9/10 and she is not half the Elvis fan that I am, but she does like him a whole lot.

4. Put in a good word for me ;)

My only question is how to address the His Hand In Mine album in such a hypothetical set. I wouldn’t want religious-themed music to be a turn off to any potential new consumers but I also know there are stunning recordings (performance and engineering) on this album. Maybe a very select handful of cuts.

RSteven likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Travolta jumped from Saturday Night Fever to Grease.
    AB: Grease remake maybe be a bad career move for the young mr,butler… or

RSteven likes this.
  6. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

He was as real as a donut as Tex Watson! Didn't even realize it was him until later on!

Lee Davis, RSteven, GillyT and 3 others like this.
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The problem with marketing a Bill Porter set as a movie tie-in is that, in the movie, Elvis loses the plot in the Army in Germany and his entire 1960s output is written off with the two-minute surfboard montage before Elvis gets his mojo back with the ’68 Comeback. I didn’t expect to see Austin Butler lip-syncing “Milky White Way” in the movie, but, unless you assume that the casual fans who saw the movie will buy anything with an “as seen in Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis!” sticker slapped on it, I really don’t see how the movie promotes music from a period of Elvis’s career that the movie writes out of the story.

8. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

hi_watt and MRamble like this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

twicks likes this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I think the new fans will lap up the soundtrack album like gravy, but us long term fans might dig the Porter album and the sticker idea is not a bad one. Your greater point is a good one though.

The fact of the matter is that this movie is going to do more to expose Elvis's music to a new generation of fans than anything Sony Music or BMG before them has ever done. One guy said as he walked out of the theater a group of female teenagers were singing. out-loud, "If your looking for trouble..."

11. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

I totally agree with you about Hanks' accent. There were a couple of very brief moments where the accent slipped at the end of a word and suddenly I was very aware of Tom Hanks rather than being immersed in the film.

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Again, I didn’t expect the movie to take a deep dive into the His Hand in Mine sessions, however, you know, maybe it could have devoted two or three minutes to Elvis singing “Can’t Help Falling in Love” from Blue Hawaii and singing “Stuck on You” or “Fame and Fortune” on the Frank Sinatra special, or singing one of the better early 60s songs such as “Return to Sender” or “His Latest Flame” before pivoting to the “and his 1960s sucked” decline narrative. For all the good this movie has done and will do in simply getting Elvis’s name out there before the public again, it also reinforces tired narratives about Elvis’s career that have been floating around since John Lennon argued “Elvis died when he joined the Army.” The Bill Porter recordings from 1960-62 are a powerful argument against that theory, but don’t fit in with Baz’s childlike cartoon narrative for dummies that:

1) Elvis took all of his good musical ideas from black people,
    2) For a brief moment circa 1954-56, Elvis’s music was good,
    3) But then, from 1960-1967, the evil Snowman turned him into a “family entertainer” and forced him to make a lot of bad movies,
    4) Before he sang “I Can Dream” on TV in 1968 and healed a broken nation with the power of his song.

jeremylr, johnny q and Sebastian like this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You know I cannot argue with you on a couple of those points, but your number one is a bit of an overstatement. Baz notes he specifically borrowed form country as well with his Hank Snow cover and the melting of several genres on his take of That's All Right. I would have liked to have seen a little more acknowledgement of Elvis's country music roots, but it is there to see if your looking. Again, it is a very small gripe from me. Baz had to shoot down the black appropriation argument so that had to be the center of the beginning of the movie. He left them without any bullets to shoot after showing Elvis at the tent revivals in Tupelo. Baz is one astute guy. He cut Elvis's critics down at the knees and the movie is better off for it.

If I Can Dream is one of the most powerful moments in music and television history. I think that song continues to heal people to this fine day.

Davido, GillyT, raveoned and 4 others like this.
  14. ‘I’m Coming Home’ is used in a nice scene in the movie. It’s gotten a small amount of attention outside of the film proper as Tom Hanks has said it’s now his favorite Elvis song.

RSteven, GillyT, jeremylr and 3 others like this.
  15. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I liked it too.

16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

An AAA vinyl box of the ten best Elvis albums would be nice. I would definitely buy that.

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Nice, but sounds like "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold."

18. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I found myself grooving to it in my seat in the theater, since it sounded amazing!

RSteven, GillyT, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  19. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

When I visited Graceland in November 2010, they were showing that infamous 1977 CBS television special on a monitor in the racquetball court/gold records room. :shrug:

RSteven, MRamble, raveoned and 3 others like this.
  20. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Oh man, my foot was going a million miles an hour during the Vegas rehearsal scene.

21. Chris DeVoe

That was the real revelation for me, Elvis as band leader, putting together an incredibly talented group of top players and singers and then directing them.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Didn’t he give advice to Tom Jones.. let the backing singers do their bit and save your voice?

Shawn, RSteven and MRamble like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

No idea, but that is good advice.

Shawn, RSteven and alexpop like this.
  24. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

From one article I read online, the first few takes in the movie had Butler as Elvis arranging the music, but the band was playing everything perfectly. It didn't seem realistic and not much for Butler to do, so Luhrmann had "Ronnie Tutt" not come in on a part or the bass not play the right pattern at first, without telling Butler. When they came back to try the sequence again, it looked a lot better with Butler being able to walk around and cue musicians, etc.

Danny Coffin, Shawn, RSteven and 5 others like this.
  25. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

It's interesting listening to this as I've listened to the "Something For Everybody" version
    since 1961 and always thought it was the best track on the LP. However, these ovedubs
    really work well on it, especially the strings. And thankfully it leaves the Nashville A Team's
    musicianship untouched, especially Hank Garland's fantastic guitar solo. A nice addition
    to my collection.

jeremylr, Shawn, garyt1957 and 4 others like this.