Elvis 68 Comeback bluray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by genesim, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Elvis '68 Comeback Special' Special 2 x Blu-ray 5 x CD Boxset | Elvis News

[​IMG]

I see there are already rumblings of why a bluray is used for SD broadcast.

It is BROADCAST ANALOG TAPE. It is not your average VHS tape.

High quality video tape is beyond the capability of a DVD if done correctly. When you capture from a tape source it takes lots of space to get a great bit rate.

DVD does not have enough space to get that kind of quality even if it is an SD source (there is more to a picture then mere pixel equivalent count). What absolutely floors me is how people will go....but the sound is in high def so that is a reason to upgrade.

Video takes up more space than sound, so if one is upgrading to get good sound, why wouldn't the same be true for the other side?

DVD can carry high def sound. There are tons of DVD's that use 96/24 without being DVD audio. That is a stupid example anyway.

The key with bluray is that you don't have to have compression and if transferred in high quality, you will absolutely get more for the source.

This is great news and for those that want to stay in the woods, then by all means stick to your DVD's and pretend they are better.

Ghostworld likes this.
  2. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I will buy the BDs if and when they become available separately.

albabe likes this.
  3. genesim

I am betting fat chance on that if Appetite for Destruction is any indicator. I hate these CD pack in's as well. It is such a rip off!

By the way, on a side note. Loving You is coming from Twilight Time in January. Being a Vistavision print, if fresh scanned, it should look amazing.

albabe likes this.
  4. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Then I'll stick with the dvds. The audio portion of the box set have been released before so I don't need that.

genesim likes this.
  5. genesim

This is what I hate about the whole thing. It kills more Elvis getting released on bluray sometimes. Then again, you absolutely got the right idea. If they want support, drop the fat!

6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Elvis fans have been spoiled for so many years that the vaults appear to be almost empty. This would have been a great release if most of the audio was unreleased but as it stands, the box just looks like a lazy re-release with the BDs as the big selling point.

genesim likes this.
  7. genesim

Every single thing on the CD's could have been put on 1 bluray including all the shows. The second disc is a horrible waste of space. Even that could have been utilized better. I hope details get better, but it isn't looking good.

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Just say NO to macro-blocking :righton:

The Pinhead and longdist01 like this.
  9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

What’s “macro-blocking”? I haven’t looked at the video but will soon.

10. genesim

Hard to tell anything from a stream. It is compressed as hell to put it on there to begin with.

Macro blocking is artifacts from compression in usually solid colors. It gives a "block" look in blacks like a big pixel because of poor lazy encoding.

The Pinhead and longdist01 like this.
  11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Motion compensation block boundary artifacts - Wikipedia

The '68 DVD box has some problems with compression artefacts where there are flat backgrounds with objects in - the objects don't move in accordance with other things in the frame during camera movements - like they are free floating to some extent.

The BR should have no such issues :thumbsup:

12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I'm agreeing with you - the Blu-ray should smoke the DVDs. This type of noisy, low detail analogue source material presents difficulties for compression to DVD without significant artefacts.

genesim likes this.
  13. genesim

Nice avatar. Huge Marx Brothers fan!

Shvartze Shabbos and Mal like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this looks very interesting!

15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The real question is: have they gone back to the actual original tapes this go around? For the 2004 set they just pulled from the early 90s digital “backups”, a missed opportunity back then.

The audio was also processed to a fake stereo. Is it true mono here?

16. Has anyone determined if the 2004 DVD deluxe release contains any additional material that didn’t make it to the two Blu-ray discs in the new box set? Perhaps will also post this question in the main thread too. Thank you I’m advance.

17. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I might grab this box if I ever run across a cheap copy. But, for now, I just picked up a cd/dvd set titled The Best of the '68 Comeback Special. The hype sticker claims it's a Walmart exclusive and comes with some sort of discount coupon for Graceland.

From what I can tell, the coupon and inclusion of the dvd is what makes it exclusive. According to Discogs anyway.

The only negative I see upon first glance, and this is down more to personal opinion for me, is the inclusion of If I Can Dream with a bunch of current performers that i personally don't care for. That's what skip buttons are for, of course. Lol.

Anyway, looking forward to watching this soon. \m/

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm all shook up!

theshape likes this.
  19. albabe

albabe Forum Resident

Just curious if anyone picked this up and how the BRs look?

John Grimes likes this.
  20. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I'd love to know.

herky10 likes this.
  21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

albabe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.