Elvis at the International Hotel Las Vegas 1969 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by emjel, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emjel

emjel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looks like Sony are going to release all of the recorded shows of Elvis’ Comeback Shows in Vegas from August ‘69, for a t0th Anniversary which I believe is around 11 shows, but with around 5 of those shows already available via FTD, and if you are an Elvis fan, will you buy it? It will have to be a very good price for me to do so as there is so much repetition. I wonder if they will do anything for the 50th of the Memphis Sessions.

2. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

That's what I'd be interested in. I'd imagine that there's plenty of alternate takes and whatnot at their disposal.

3. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

( from memory ) those were some amazing sets. i'd love to have seen him do poke salad annie in his "comeback era". i dont know who to watch. elvis? or ronnie tutt. :)

i saw him in 75(?) at long beach and he was already on a serious downhill run. fat elvis. sheesh.

Crimson Witch, keyse1, Paul R and 5 others like this.
  4. Rayvano

Rayvano Forum Resident

Clanceman and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  5. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Almost all of them are already available on the FTD releases of the sessions (expanded issues of From Elvis In Memphis and Back In Memphis, plus a third volume that covers the leftovers). It'd be nice to have them all collected on a comprehensive set with new mixes, but I'd much rather have a complete set of the 1969 live tapes. Repetition isn't an issue for me; it took me a while to really appreciate Elvis' live 1969 shows, but now, I can't get enough of them.

LennyC., warewolf95, I333I and 3 others like this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Where did you hear this? Many Elvis fans have been speculating that there will be a complete 1969 concerts box set, but nothing has been publicly revealed. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic on the FTD thread. Have you heard something new about this release?

melstapler, RSteven and CBackley like this.
  7. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Definitely looking forward to this box set. Glad to see they are evidently going to put all of them in the box. It's a shame there isn't more variety in the setlist but the performances are so strong that I won't be complaining. No need to have high quality recordings of Elvis in his prime not being released. Hopefully we finally get big Elvis On Tour box set for the 50th anniversary of that in 2022. I'm familiar with the issues that have held that up but hopefully they can work them out. It's not doing anyone a favor to leave tapes on the shelves collecting dust at this point. Those of us that are big Elvis fans aren't getting any younger.

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No. I have way too much Elvis that I never listen to.

9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Love Ronnie Tutt!
    I was lucky to meet Ronnie and get his autograph, along with James Burton, Jerry Scheff and Glen D Hardin!
    That's a quad ripple spectacular right there in so many ways.
    Being a guitar picker, meeting James was a blast for me!
    Glen D Hardin, my god! What a musician, check out his wiki credits!
    They were all so humble and kind, amazing 'rock stars' right there!

10. Dr. Luther's Assistant

It certainly was an incredible band.

And with these shows being at the beginning of the touring era, I'm sure the freshness and enthusiasm is a driving force.

11. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Someone spotted on ebay. Note the sticker.

[​IMG]

PepiJean, laf848 and DirkM like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

Image didn’t come through. I presume it is another leak, like the forthcoming Bob Dylan ‘75 box?

RSteven and CBackley like this.
  13. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Actually, a pic of the upcoming RSD release. The text on the RSD sticker;
    "From the upcoming box set covering all of the August 1969 Live Recordings."

rxcory, RSteven, johnny q and 2 others like this.
  14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

15. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

If this is happening, I'm in. No questions asked.

Vintage1976 and MRamble like this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

To answer the question, it depends. As discussed on the FTD thread, the majority of the 11 shows have been released, either as complete concerts or various songs spread out on various compilations. I’m not thrilled with the idea of repurchasing so much previously released content, but depending on the production, it could be intriguing having these stellar concerts in uniform mixing and mastering.

Another factor will be the cost — the Comeback box was too expensive, especially for so much recycled content. If Sony puts this material together in a more economical package, it will be a pleasant surprise, but I suspect it will be part of a higher price point product.

Iceman08, Revelator and melstapler like this.
  17. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

good for you, man. those are legends all, and if you can call yourself a picker in the same sentence with james burton. my ephemeral hat is off to you ;) i was a drummer first. so tutt resides among the pantheon for me.

me and 7 million others are sure, E never had a better "band" than those vegas gigs.

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Ha! well more of a 'thumb'ler' than a 'picker'. I'm a pretty big fella, and James is not a big guy,
    but I went to 'blubber' trying to ask him for an autograph.
    You feel like a real whimp sometimes when you meet your heroes, but glad just to say 'Hi' and see him
    with my own eyes, let alone get an autograph.
    A couple minutes if that of a meeting, and a lifetime memory for me.
    Pretty Cool for a geek like me.
    ;)

John B, Steve Litos, Paul R and 6 others like this.
  19. emjel

It is on the Hype sticker for the new RSD album.

20. emjel

I agree. Price is the key issue for me and I hope Sony will take the FTD releases into consideration when they think about how much fans will pay, especially as there isn’t any movie stuff that can go with this release. But I suspect it will be a big 12" box with book etc and retail at over $120. Too much for me with such repetition. I would like to see a CD set that offers the new RSD release for those fans who simply cannot afford a big box, like Apple do with their Beatles box sets.

21. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’ll wait to see what price Amazon sells it for. I’m a fairly new Elvis fan, but the live 1969 material is pretty much my favorite stuff so far. If there are some “new” concerts, the box set will be worth it to me.

I saw that the RSD vinyl comes with a download code. Further indirect evidence that there is a box set coming.

RSteven likes this.
  22. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Well, I hope you're happy.

I had assumed for awhile that the FTD stuff was out-of-print. (I guess because I never saw them on Amazon or wherever.) So, after reading your post, I started looking around.

$250 later -- I've got 7 items on the way. :wtf:

23. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I have to admit, I wasn't terribly impressed with the sample of the RSD release that came out a while ago. Keeping in mind that it was just a YouTube clip, I hope the whole box isn't mixed that way. I'd still pick it up eventually, but I'd probably wait a while to see if I could snag a used copy at a lower price.

Now, if the whole thing sounds like In Person...I'll be pre-ordering it at any semi-reasonable price.

pseudopod likes this.
  24. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I have seen the sticker and it confirms a box set containing all the August 1969 shows.

25. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I will have to get that box. Elvis live at his best.

Vinyl_Blues, Paul R, PepiJean and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.