Elvis at the International Hotel Las Vegas 1969 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by emjel, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Is the 8/25/69 dinner show available on vinyl?
    For some reason, the sound and performance here really gets me:

2. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

Not as far as I know ... 23 and 26 are if I am not mistaken

raye_penber likes this.
  3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

August 12 Dinner show and August 22 are also on vinyl.

So far as I know August 25 has not been released on vinyl.
    I agree it's an affecting performance.

TBos and raye_penber like this.
  4. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

absolutely right !! Forgot about the Aug 12 show (I even have it lol) ... Didn't know about the 22nd ... thanks for the info !

5. Richard--W

As big as it is the band is a lean mean mighty music machine in these
    1969 shows. The rhythm section gets your blood up. I'm thinking of
    the several bars instrumental that opens the midnight show (disc 9 I
    think it is). The music has real color and genuine kick & bounce. But
    all the shows are like that, aren't they. I just like listening to the band
    play, independent of the vocals -- no slight to Elvis but the band is
    immortal.

I'd like to drag RCA / Columbia across concrete and down the winding
    staircase for the way they designed this accordion package.

6. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Four shows from August 1969 have appeared officially on vinyl:

August 23, 1969 Dinner Show (Sony’s April 2019 RSD Release)

August 24, 1969 Dinner Show (UK LP edition of Live In Las Vegas box-set)

August 25, 1969 Midnight Show (FTD’s Hot August Night)

August 26, 1969 Midnight Show (Sony’s 2019 “Standard” release alongside Live 1969)

7. Richard--W

Thanks for the reminder FTD’s Hot August Night was issued on vinyl.
    It went out of print in the blink of an eye and prices skyrocketed quickly.
    I wish I had it. I have the others on vinyl.

raye-penber was asking about the dinner show from August 25, however.

raye_penber likes this.
  8. raye_penber

raye_penber .

To my ears, it seems like one of the best performances, captured a little better than some of the others from the same residency, and The King's on fire.
    Harmonies are really focused, too, in comparison to the some of the other official vinyl reissues/releases recently.
    I wonder if they'll ever press this one...?
    I wonder why they NEVER pressed this one??

Richard--W likes this.
  9. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

What vinyl releases are you referring to, when you mention August 12 and August 22?

10. raye_penber

raye_penber .

It's interesting ...

Seems my choices for current releases are either 26th midnight show:

Which I like.

11. raye_penber

raye_penber .

The 23rd dinner show:

Which I like a little less, as the vocals aren't as strong and the production isn't as clear or focused.

12. raye_penber

raye_penber .

However, the currently unavailable on vinyl 8/25/69 dinner show is the clear winner for me.
    So much more powerful and focused, and clear (at least within the context of the Suspicious Minds comparison):

I'll probably take the 26th midnight show for now (to tide me over until the Nashville release in November).

13. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I feel the August 25, Midnight Show, first issued complete by FTD on CD and Vinyl as Hot August Night represents the very best show from the engagement, and also the very best show RCA captured on Elvis overall. It’s sound is also excellent, mixed and mastered by Vic Anesini.

Elvis stepped things up, no doubt partly because Tom Jones was in attendance.

14. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Could you post a Discogs link to this one (whenever you get a free minute)?
    That's one I need to hunt out.

15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Elvis Presley - Hot August Night

RSteven and raye_penber like this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The 1969 concerts are uniformly strong, and often the differences are negligible. That said, Hot August Night (8/25/69 m.s.) does likely represent the best show, not necessarily because it was obviously superior than the others in terms of musical and vocal execution, but because of Anesini's fantastic engineering on that particular set of tapes. That isn't to say he didn't do some fine work on his other 1969 FTD releases (Live In Vegas, 8/26/69 d.s. comes to mind), but he really nailed the mix and the mastering on Hot August Night.

17. Richard--W

Never mind. I was momentarily confused with CD's that don't have LP counterparts.

18. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

The problem with Hot August Night, like most of the FTD retro mixes, is that it sounds like Elvis is singing in Las Vegas and Ronnie Tutt is playing in a bingo hall in Brighton.

This extreme spacing-out of instruments works on the ballads (just as it does on many laid-back jazz records), but the rockier tracks all fall a bit flat.

There's no real sense of cohesion or impact to the instruments, and so it doesn't sound anything like a "real" show: it sounds like a very politely mixed recording of a show.

Although Ross-Spang's use of incongruous echo on Live 1969 drives me mad (an effect that has thankfully been exorcised for the excellent sounding From Elvis In Nashville samples), what he does do so well is create a sense of a real amplified band playing live in the room, creating an exciting sound that is more than the sum of its parts.

JimmyCool and raye_penber like this.
  19. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

Hot August Night and Live In Las Vegas both on FTD label is still my favorite 1969 shows released on cd,in fact they are the only ones I need.
    I have heard the 1969 box set but didnt buy it,no regrets there.

20. NavyGrenadine

NavyGrenadine Forum Resident

I just aquired this set as I have always heard about the legendary 1969 live shows.

There is some debate about how 'successful' the remastering of this project is but to me these tracks sound fantastic, from what I have listened to so far. Admittedly I have no 1969 live recordings in my collection to compare it to, instead I'm comparing the performances to those on the That's The Way It Is DVD I own. While TTWII is brilliant I prefer the energy and sound from Elvis on these CDs and only wish there was video available. I will have to get a copy of this to my father, who is also a huge Presley fan.

I was not alive anywhere near the same time as Elvis but if I could hop in a time machine I would certainly choose to go to Vegas on August 25th 1969 for a night at the International Hotel in Vegas.

21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

What a truly intriguing prospect. I am always slightly torn between 1969 or 1970 for Elvis's very best live shows. 1969 would be very hard to top.

JLGB, Clanceman and NavyGrenadine like this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, if I could travel back in time and see one of Elvis' concerts in Las Vegas, it would be one of the 1969 shows, early in the engagement.

23. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Never better for me during February 1970 live with his voice. He had also polished very much his in-between-song comic relief for the better. He was incredibly funny off script, natural, and authentic.

Clanceman and artfromtex like this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh yeah, those February shows were just stupendous sounding. I am not sure that the orchestra, band or Elvis's voice were ever recorded any better. His confidence was just off the charts.

JLGB, artfromtex and Clanceman like this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Re reading this thread whilst at coffee. Great photo but from when and where? I kind of understood that after the movies ended Elvis stopped doing photo sessions.

jeremylr and JeffMo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.