Elvis at the International Hotel Las Vegas 1969 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by emjel, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Piano issue aside, I like the way the weight of Elvis's voice comes across on it. I find some of the more modern mixes can err towards making his voice sound a little thin and recessed. I also admit to having a fondness for the warm, bassy, soupy sound. Yes, it's a bit of a mess, but for me it has a certain charm as well.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  2. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

A lot of these recent mega-monster-size box sets also seem like attempts to head off European copyright law by issuing as much as possible before the copyright time limit expires. That's not exactly the case with the Elvis live set, since most of its content has already been released, but it does feel like a deck clearing of sorts. There isn't a single concert that hasn't been cherry-picked at the very least. No treasure is left in the cave.

CBackley, RSteven and Richard--W like this.
  3. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I think the execs have realised the demographic who like these catch-all mega sets are on the verge of becoming extinct. Either through the grim reaper or their companies strategies of 'the future is streaming'. I mean why sit on all these masters waiting for them to be burned away in catastrophic circumstances when there's money to be made?
    I reckon the American Sound Studio download is testing the water to see if anyone bites. To be honest, if it was a physical set I'd buy it in a heartbeat but I'm not purchasing a download only version. Not that I'm a download snob, I love the auto-rip feature. I just love physical more...
    Time will tell but as long as I can afford them I'll buy 'em!

4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Ok I will check either of them out. Why do you say few people were satisfied with either release?

5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I too would prefer a physical release. But, if a Hi-Rez option is available, I will probably pull the trigger.

I am eagerly awaiting the Live '69 box. I love the TTWII deluxe and this seems like a perfect companion set. I will keep and appreciate my FTD's, but I have to confess that I like the mixes by Matt Ross-Spang. I don't like the vintage style mixes with the drums panned to one side. I like them centered.

CBackley, The Killer and RSteven like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm exactly the same on the American Studios release. Physical product. Instant buy.
    I'm still on the fence about the live set ...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. Some fans have suggested the burying of Muhoberac’s keyboard work was due to the recording, rather than post production directives, but I never believed it. I think Ernst and Ferrante wanted the 1969 concert to “rock,” and as such, mixed down the keyboard tracks, which perhaps from their point of view presented a dated sound associated with the late 60’s. That is only one of many bizarre creative decisions that was adopted for that extremely disappointing box set.

8. I’ll settle for CD quality (although would be thrilled for hi-Rez). If it’s MP3 only I’ll pass.

artfromtex likes this.
  9. Bizarre creative decisions have plagued Elvis releases since at least 1961.

10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am disappointed that Sony Legacy did not try to put the American Studio sessions all together in a complete physical box set release, but since FTD has covered that material so well already with their more recent trifecta, I am not going to cry any tears about it. I will definitely buy the Elvis Live 69 box set as it might be the last deluxe box set we see in many a moon on CD from Elvis. I also happen to love hearing multiple shows with Elvis at his absolute peak as a live performer, and the TCB players were hotter than a firecracker in those early days. I will relish every single small nuanced difference in Elvis's song performance or dialogue, despite the repetitive nature of the setlist in the eleven live shows. I treasure the Elvis That's The Way It Is deluxe box set and as @artfromtex said in his previous post, Elvis Live 69 will make a great companion piece to that stellar collection.

11. mark winstanley

The thing that's got me on the fence is i know he will chat differently every night, and that really interests me.
    I'm sure the shows are great, but i don't know if I'll get around to them all ....

CBackley and RSteven like this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yeah, I think it will be very interesting as he was in such great spirits during this whole engagement. Wow, according to Amazon this will be over 13 hrs of listening to take the whole thing in. That is quite a commitment is it not? I do not see me getting all that in in a day or two. It might take a month or two to get it all in for me.

13. artfromtex

I think they should have combined ALL of this into one big "Elvis: 69" set. Add 5 more CD's and 60 pages to the book and put out a set that shows just how prolific and powerful our man was once the black leather came off.

But I guess it is not an official Elvis release unless there is a "missed opportunity" involved.

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If I get the 1969 Live set, I’ll have as complete as reasonably possible documents of the 1969, On Stage, and That’s The Way It Is Vegas seasons, which are the three essential Vegas seasons in my eyes, and then I can continue to cherry pick the best of the later years.

CBackley, artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  15. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

How many of the 1969 concerts are there recordings of that aren't multi-tracks and therefore not in this set? I'm taking about shows like Return To Vegas (Aug 3rd?).

16. artfromtex

He did 29 shows on his first engagement. So 18 shows were not professionally recorded.

17. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Sorry, I wasn't clear before.

Of those 18 shows that were not professionally recorded, how many of them exist as a soundboard, audience or other ROIO? Are there any that don't exist as all? The first show on July 31 perhaps?

artfromtex likes this.
  18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Not sure how I am going to pay for it but it will be mine. Ordered.

19. mark winstanley

I ordered the damn thing lol

20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This Elvis addiction is an expensive habit, but I have a feeling it is going to be less painful in the future as far as the amount of product that will get released, especially with regard to physical product. Congratulations, I think it looks like a really beautiful package and hopefully the remastering will be splendid given Vic Anesini's involvement. The new remixing may be a bone of contention, but I liked the samples that I have heard so far. I finally got the vinyl of the August 23rd show, but I have not played it yet. I was kind of waiting for the CD, so I could compare the two when it comes out, but I may give it a quick listen over the weekend.

21. mark winstanley

I fear perhaps we may be thinning, but my bank account will smile

CBackley and RSteven like this.
  22. artfromtex

[​IMG]

23. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

The keyboards on disc one of Live In Las Vegas are at a clearly audible level on:

Love Me Tender
    Don't Be Cruel
    Heartbreak Hotel
    I can't Stop Loving You
    Lonesome Tonight
    Yesterday/Hey Jude
    Suspicious Minds
    What'd I Say
    Can't help Falling In Love

So either it was a mixing decision, or the piano track was strangely only substandard on most of the more rocking songs.

To be fair, on these rocking songs in particular, the piano sound at the live show would likely have been somewhat submerged anyway for many in the audience (depending on their seating location) by the more visceral thump of the other instruments.

Despite its flaws, I reckon this album does a better job of capturing the raw ambience of a live show than many other releases, even if it lacks the delicacy and refinement of some of them. It's definitely a live, rock "n" roll style mix centred around "two guitars, bass and drums".

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Once it is out as a download anyone can get it anytime often without paying any money whatsoever. These folk at Sony are playing with fire going down this download only route.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

What sort of rock do these folk listen to? Led Zeppelin used keyboards - check out those long versions of No Quarter! Bruce Springsteen's wonderful E Street Band had organ and piano. Lots of organ and piano on the best live tour ever - Dylan's 66 shows. The Faces had the wonderful Ian McLagan.

DmitriKaramazov and RSteven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.