"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Be interested in Peter Guralnick’s opinion of the movie.

GillyT, Shawn, artfromtex and 5 others like this.
  2. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

I bet he is! I have a feeling that it's going to be a wild ride.

That was a fantastic read, thank you.

I've started rewatching Baz' back catalogue. Moulin Rouge last night, Romeo and Juliet tonight and Strictly Ballroom next in the queue. I noticed that the Duke in Moulin Rouge is none other than Richard Roxburgh, who plays Vernon in Elvis.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  3. alexpop

Just hope it’s nothing like his back catalogue. Ie: a film of his I rate… hopefully this time. Expect critical constructive reviews. Of course end of the day bums on seats - box office success is where it counts.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Posters have started appearing in theaters. So far, I've only seen the "Sixties Elvis" one:

[​IMG]

5. Chris DeVoe

Based on the trailers I've seen, it's definitely in his style. It looks to have the visual richness of a Moulin Rouge or Gatsby, but it may lack the hyperkinetic style of those two, going back to his films like Strictly Ballroom or Australia.

Here's the thing, he's only done six films. And while he's known for a visually rich style, a lot of people seem to only be judging him by a couple of them.
    Vickie and I enjoy his whole body of work, and believe that his visual style and Elvis's are a perfect match. I've been excited about this film since I saw the trailer in a Dolby Cinema theater.
    You been hanging out with @Vidiot?

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Vidiot, GillyT, artfromtex and 2 others like this.
  6. alexpop

Don’t worry if this film knocks me out. You’ll get a praise from me.
    But if it stinks.. I’ll no doubt comment on that.

Cool hand luke and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

New new trailer:

Playloud, Sebastian, Vidiot and 8 others like this.
  8. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

This film is going to be garbage (and I don't like saying that, really). I have no faith in Hollywood to present an accurate biopic. I am still disgusted by 'The US vs. Billie Holiday' and astounded that it won any awards.

9. Chris DeVoe

Just to forewarn you, my two favorite Baz Luhrmann films are Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet, so expect a full-throated defense from me if you dislike Elvis.

GillyT and RSteven like this.
  10. At app. 47 seconds you see a clip of DJ's druum set, nice to see they tried to reproduce the calf head 'pattern' on the bass drum!

11. BeatleJWOL

Shame all that effort went out the window when they bungled the XLR cables.

RSteven, Chris DeVoe and Shawn like this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

I'm going to have to watch this on my huge projection screen in 4k to verify whether or not they used the correct cables.

After I do, I'll report back on whether or not we should show it if we should show up at Baz's house with pitchforks.

BluesOvertookMe, RSteven and Shawn like this.
  13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I already dislike it and I will never see it! :biglaugh:

milankey likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Looks amazing, but I obviously have to see it in the theater.

RSteven, Brian Mc and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. I'm with ya - this film is looking better and better with each trailer. Honestly excited about seeing it on June 24. I know I know us Elvis fans are used to being let down but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

16. Chris DeVoe

Cool!

Seriously, I don't understand what the people who are complaining expect. Baz Luhrmann is a talented director with the tremendous visual style, Tom Hanks is one of the most talented and beloved actors Hollywood has ever produced, Austin Butler is a rising star, who was terrific in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... delivering a great performance opposite Brad Pitt.

We won't really know until we see the film whether or not Tom Hanks makes us understand why Elvis stuck with the Colonel despite all of his screw-ups, and whether or not Austin Butler manages to capture some part of Elvis's superhuman charisma.

I've seen every film that Baz has directed, nearly everything that Tom Hanks has starred in and spotted Austin Butler as a rising star:

Seriously doubters, read that New York Times article that was posted earlier in the thread. You'll get some idea just how committed Baz is to this project, how many months he put into talking to everybody who knew Elvis, how deep he dug into the forces that made the man.

17. Elvis' story is so much bigger than life it needs a director who can convey that. Luhrmann seems more than capable... better that IMO than a somewhat dry take on his life.

18. BeatleJWOL

I'm inclined to agree.

Yes, I'd watch a 7 season long hundred hour biopic adaptation of the Guralnick books, but that's definitely not for everyone.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Hoping it does well but I'm getting West Side Story vibes, critically acclaimed but goes nowhere at the box office.

20. Chris DeVoe

Baz has the job of making Elvis exciting and accessible to a brand new generation.

Is this going to please all of the original Elvis fans? Maybe, maybe not, but the harsh truth is this:
    • There are not very many of them still alive.
    • If they are, they're not the principal movie going audience.
    Young people are going to go see this film because of the trailer and ads on YouTube. They may only be vaguely aware that somebody named "Elvis Presley" ever even existed (sorry, but that's a harsh truth).

But, don't forget that virtually every piece of music that's ever been sold is instantly available to them. So this may result in a brand new generation of Elvis fans.

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

You guys are quibbling about cables, but what is driving me to distraction is that over-the-top accent Tom Hanks is using. If the Colonel had really talked like that, his secret about having immigrated illegally would have been exposed instantly. It’s not a deal-breaker for me, but it’s an unfortunate choice by an actor who’s overdoing things a bit.

22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This is what gave me positive expectations from the very beginning. @GillyT posted a fascinating video of Baz interviewing one of Elvis's childhood friends in Tupelo and it was a revelation, even for someone who knows the Elvis story as well as I do. The serious research he took into the subject matter was amazing and Baz's attention to details even impressed Tom Hanks.

Exactly as I see it too. Elvis's career highlights were so big that if you had written it before it took place in real life, nobody would have believed it was possible or realistic; Poor white boy grows up in Tupelo and moves to Memphis and adopts every forum of music and fashion he sees into his body and soul.

My expectations for this movie are now off the charts. At first notice of the film a few years ago, I was somewhat optimistic, but filled with trepidation. I cannot wait until June 24th.

23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, since most viewers of the movie will have no idea how Parker really sounded, I don't think it will have much of effect one way or the other. I believe that when Baz mentioned of listening to a ton of tapes of Tom Parker speaking, his voice or accent seem to come out at various times. Did Parker hide his accent intentionally when he knew he was being filmed?

Cool hand luke, Shawn and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

I'm curious if anyone has video of any '50s and '60s era interviews with Colonel Tom. The only one I've seen was from much later.

RSteven likes this.
  25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

About the only critical thing Priscilla has had to say is that the Colonel did not have an accent and it was Tom Hanks’ “personal choice” to play him that way. She did say she liked the performance despite that. Its an unfortunate choice, but like i said not a deal breaker. Sometimes actors can’t resist the urge to show off a little.

Cool hand luke likes this.