Elvis Costello and the Imposters: Look Now (2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

thank you for that

by the way, is it only available on wax? No digital at all?
    You talked me into it RIGHT NOW!

dee likes this.
  2. dee

dee Senior Member

Yes, just the vinyl afaik. 45rpm 12".

3. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Great ep, one of my must buys for RSD. I wanted to hear Elvis do The Lovers That Never Were but all 4 tracks are great. Sounds like there is another Purse ep still to come based on the inner sleeve. Perhaps next RSD.

dee likes this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

Yes, something is up with that additional image and that 'watch this space' or some such blurb?!

Ken.e. likes this.
  5. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

if any of you guys could be kind enough to make mp3 out it I'd really be a happy man

Mooserfan likes this.
  6. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I haven't heard the album or EP yet. Just learned of them. Do they sound similar, as if it's all from a high set of sprawling sessions, or is the EP a totally different sound & thing ?

There is strong speculation a 2nd EP will be coming ? Why an EP, other than he had 6 or 8 good cuts leftover & decided to issue them. I mean He's a pretty prolific artist , why not just wait until he had 5-6 more songs, most people don't even know about EPs let alone get in the habit of buying many. At least in the U.S..

7. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I assumed the ‘Purse’ promised on the artwork was an album, not another EP. It would be pretty confusing issuing two EPs with the exact same title!

johnny moondog 909 and mrjinks like this.
  8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

<Blows a raspberry>

Mooserfan likes this.
  9. Octowen

Octowen Forum Resident

Now I’m wondering if the four mystery songs from the Look Now super deluxe box are the Purse EP. If not, that means we have an entire album’s worth of quality Look Now outtakes!

johnny moondog 909 and JoeF. like this.
  10. Summer of Malcontent

I assumed they would be, since the songs from the EP were the previously announced 'alternative' bonus tracks that never were, but now that there seems to be another Purse to which they'd logically be attached, I'm optimistic that the four new tracks on the deluxe set are four we've never heard of.

11. srsch

srsch Senior Member

The EP has the Look Now sound. Sounds like these songs were recorded in the same sessions to these ears.

12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I feel like a bit of a dunce that it took me this long to realize the title of Purse is the verb and not the noun. The cover art should have been a bit of a clue.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  13. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I doubt that I could even count the number of instances where Costello-related items went over my head (for extended periods of time) through the years.

DeeThomaz and Fullbug like this.
  14. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Unfortunately, they’re the same four tracks.

15. Summer of Malcontent

Well, that was a pig in a poke.

Weren’t the extra tracks promoted as unreleased?

16. Thesmellofvinyl

When the ad first came out, they had not been released and were a mystery. Some who were aware of four tracks that turned out to have been erroneously listed in a Look Now listing on a U.K. site had assumed it would be those four; then, following the release of those four tracks on RSD and again later as downloads, it seemed likely we’d be getting those four. There was a production delay; if the set had been released on time, it would have been their first appearance. They’re good tracks.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  17. Thesmellofvinyl

To my ears, only the first one, “Everyone’s Playing House,” sounds as though it’s in the Look Now vein.

18. Summer of Malcontent

Well yeah, but my point is that that's not what 'unreleased' means. I'm not surprised (I was the one who predicted that these four tracks would be the bonus ones, after all), but it's definitely a bait and switch given that the promotion for the set never suggested that the exclusive tracks would be previously / simultaneously / immediately afterwards released as a standalone EP and digitally.

19. Thesmellofvinyl

Correcting myself: the four mystery tracks, from the start, were expected to be released in May—after the release of the box set.

It would have been fun to have them as exclusive tracks for a while, but I think they probably would’ve seen a wider release at some point anyway.

As for the music, there’s a guitar sound on “The Lovers That Never Were” I like and reminds me of some of the guitar on the Lennon/Ono Double Fantasy album.

20. dee

dee Senior Member

Please, we know you ain't no dunce! If EC can find 9 meanings in 1 word or a seemingly straightforward verse in a song, you know he would or already has. 'The fact is' lol he has dipped those pursed lips into my purse (wallet) once again and made off with some proceeds via his fancy green vinyl lps with bonus tracks plus his RSD EP right out from my now empty pockets!
    What's that song - My Thief? I can't recall, you know I have mixed emotions on the Painted album.

I have Look Now + 4 and now Purse. No other extra tracks released yet during or since then? Getting happy waiting for my pursestrings to be manipulated and drained for the next set of songs I guess. I hope there's more!

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  21. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Not strictly from the Look Now sessions but there were two 10" singles released in limited numbers during the Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers tour. One ("Bright Blue Times") was only available at certain shows. The other ("Lucky Dog") was available for a time as a pre-order only & then made available at a few shows. They're now both fairly difficult to track down, especially "Bright Blue Times," & cost accordingly.

(I may know where one can acquire a copy of "Lucky Dog." PM if yer interested)

DeeThomaz and dee like this.
  22. dee

dee Senior Member

Thank you I have Lucky Dog and the other song which escapes me which was also a cover and I think a couple others that were all on a RSD ep from some years ago.

23. Summer of Malcontent

There was also that Squeeze single, though that is part of a separate project.

24. Thesmellofvinyl

Has anyone who’s played the singles heard any difference in sound quality compared to any of the various LP editions of the same album?

dee likes this.
  25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Congratulations to Elvis Costello OBE....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.