Elvis Costello Early CD Masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by strippies, Mar 30, 2019.

1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Are you aware of any other releases that have the hi-hat on the left? Was it that way on the original vinyl? Actually, I think my Trust is an original F-Beat, but I'm not in the same state as it right now. When I get back I'll check, unless someone else can confirm.

Earlier you were trying to figure out how the Columbia "secret remasters" and the Demon CDs sounded so similar but were different speeds. Does anybody know if digital tapes play at different speeds if transferred (even directly to a CD glass master) on different equipment? That could explain it. That and perhaps a marginal EQ difference could potentially account for the shaved peaks of "Opportunity" not being perfectly smooth. You wouldn't think a digital source would change, but there's a lot of odd discrepancies that could be answered if that answer turned out to be yes.

2. InStepWithTheStars

I should say, other releases that have the hi-hat as far left as it is on these two? It's already panned left, but it feels like 50% on most releases I'm aware of as opposed to 80-90% on these CDs.

3. strippies

strippies Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Columbia and Demon Fiend of Girls Girls Girls have (almost) the same mastering. The samples stay in sync and the EQ is the same. The differences are some digital volume changes, weirdly enough sometimes stereo channel dependent, see below and some digital dc offset fixes.

I must be insane because I've compared multiple masterings of a 1.3 second section at the start of 'New Lace Sleeves' were only the hi-hat is audible in the stereo image.
    First I RMS level matched the stereo channels of each mastering of the complete track. Then I calculated the RMS level differences of the left and right channels of the 1.3 second segment. Results:
    Code:
    Columbia1             86: Whole track RMS right channel 0.05 dB  louder than left.  Hi-hat segment left channel 1.10 dB louder.
    Ryko/Demon            94: Whole track RMS right channel 0.14 dB  louder than left.  Hi-hat segment left channel 4.58 dB louder.
    Rhino/Edsel           03: Whole track RMS right channel 0.40 dB  louder than left.  Hi-hat segment left channel 5.40 dB louder.
    Girls G.G. Demon      89: Whole track RMS right channel 0.22 dB  louder than left.  Hi-hat segment left channel 7.55 dB louder.
    Girls G.G. Columbia   89: Whole track RMS right channel 0.26 dB quieter than left.  Hi-hat segment left channel 7.56 dB louder.
    Columbia2             89: Whole track RMS right channel 0.75 dB  louder than left.  Hi-hat segment left channel 7.71 dB louder.
    IMP                   86: Whole track RMS right channel 0.33 dB quieter than left.  Hi-hat segment left channel 7.73 dB louder.

4. InStepWithTheStars

So it seems the Demon-sourced CDs are the only ones with this "left-heavy" version of "New Lace Sleeves" - judging by the numbers, anyway. Shame since the dynamics are compromised on the others. Maybe the dynamic tape source is like that. I don't have access to the files right now - can anyone tell if the stereo image is folded in on the Rhino/Ryko/Col1 CDs?

5. strippies

I would argue that a 4.58 and 5.40 dB bias on the Ryko and Rhino is also not insubstantial.

6. InStepWithTheStars

My mistake, I thought this was without level-matching.

Can EQ have that much of an impact on the dynamic range? The waveforms of Col1 really looks like a tape subject to heavy analog compression, but I have done EQ changes before that made the wave look totally different. I'll experiment. The headphones I have are terrible, though, they make Girls Girls Girls sound like the Rhino in terms of their treble boost :( but I couldn't fit the good headphones in my bag...

strippies likes this.
  7. InStepWithTheStars

But...

My ears tell me that between Girls Girls Girls, Trust Col1, and Trust Rhino, it's GGG that's the outlier. Despite the EQ being massively different (and with these bright headphones I'm not eager to try another A/B), Col1 and Rhino sounded a lot more alike than GGG.

But one would think that, given the trends of the late '90s and early 2000s, the Rhino would be mastered from the best-quality tapes. Not mastered well, of course, but using those tapes as a source.

If GGG has the "correct" version and the Rhino is folded in slightly (which was my original guess), then it would seem ALL versions, except the Demon CDs, have folded it in the same way - or were mastered from a tape that was folded in, and perhaps the Rhino mimics that. That, of course, is just a guess and it not necessarily what happened. It could be as simple as a treble boost (or reduction) in the left channel. Although it still sounds balanced, which makes me wonder...

I'm about 75% confident that my Trust LP (fortunately, one of the few I did not sell in my LP collection purge last year) is an F-Beat original. It's either that or Get Happy. Regardless of which version - it's good to know what's on vinyl either way - I'll dig out and dust off the turntable when I get home from vacation and give that ol' wax platter a spin and a stab and tell you what I hear.

Ignoring graphs and waveforms and numbers, what do you hear on your Ryko CD? Hi-hat far left or middle left?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    strippies likes this.
  8. strippies

Listening to the intros with my HD 600, to my hearing the Ryko has the hi-hat mid mid left and the drums and voice slightly tilted to the right. All slightly more to the right than the Rhino. The drums have much louder reverb here than on the other versions were they are much drier. On the Demons they even sound dull to me in comparison.

I'm not sure I can hear a fold on the Rhino and Col1. You speculated that the fact that the hi-hat is farther to the left on the Demons than on the other masterings could be a result of a misaligned transfer. But why is the hi-hat much more affected than the other instruments? It's also much quieter than on the other masterings. Maybe a result of the increased dynamic range?.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  9. InStepWithTheStars

Dynamic range would not affect stereo positioning. A misaligned transfer or different EQ in each channel would. I theorized the possibility of a fold-in as it would make sense, but without my good headphones to focus on the instruments that aren't the hi-hat, I wouldn't know. I'll give my LP a spin, pretty sure it's an original F-Beat, and determine how that sounds. Hopefully I haven't misplaced all the cables for the turntable in the two years that room has been shuffled around...

10. InStepWithTheStars

Also, I was surprised at how much EQ affects reverb sound. I'm confident the Ryko is the same mix and just sounds so drastically different due to the EQ. The stereo mishap, however, was probably a mistake.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  11. InStepWithTheStars

Waiting at the airport to go home and finally have access to good headphones again. Can't make any promises about the LP comparison in the immediate future, but CD comparisons imminent. I'm like a junkie for nice EQ balance, and I haven't had my fix since last Wednesday! The withdrawal has been smultaneously bloated and shrill.

Let me know @strippies if you need any DR logs. I think I forgot to post the matrix info for my Armed Forces so you'll need to wait for the box of stuff that I mailed because it wouldn't fit in my backpack to arrive. I can still get a DR reading once I get home, though. It is a DIDP with no leading zero, I remember that for sure.

12. strippies

Since there seem to be two versions of the first Columbia Get Happy!! there could be more versions of the early others too. Who knows?

What's certainly missing is the Japan pressed Columbia Punch the clock and the WG and Japan RCA/F-Beat discs of Punch the clock, Goodbye Cruel World and King of America.

I'm curious what you make of the difference between your Columbia2 and IMP of Get Happy!!.

13. InStepWithTheStars

There was definitely a right channel skew on Col2, in addition to the clipping being... weird. The IMP is balanced, albeit still slightly clipped. Both sounded exceptionally shrill through these headphones, but I recall them sounding fine on good headphones. I'll give you a better analysis later today/tomorrow.

Armed Forces was the only pre-Spike album I found an early CD of. Lots of other great scores at these shops (our host's Who's Missing!), but only one Elvis.

I may or may not be hitting a record shop on the way home (depends on how cramped the plane is, as I'm 6'7" with a bad back). I'll pick up any Elvis I don't have if they've got any and do yet more comparisons! Y'know, it would be great if this was a real job...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  14. InStepWithTheStars

15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

@strippies -- I have a Japan for USA pressing of Punch the Clock, "MANUFACTURED BY CBS SONY RECORDS INC" in the hub, matrix DIDP-20033 21A3, if needed.

strippies and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Here it is:
    Screen shot 2021-08-28 at 8.13.21 PM.png

Also, my DADC CD of IMPERIAL BEDROOM, DIDP-20339 11A2, is identical to the "3" matrix copy shown near the start of the thread.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    strippies and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  17. strippies

Yes, different from the later US DADC pressing, though possibly a level shift.

By the way, like your m4a values of Get Happy!! the peak values of your DIDP-20033 21A3 differ from these: Album details - Dynamic Range Database .

That also makes three different versions of the Columbia Punch the Clock, unless the iTunes algorithm changed the peak levels for whatever reason.

18. InStepWithTheStars

Just scored four new titles, all Columbia. @strippies Let me know if you need DR logs of any of these. My plans to do sound quality comparisons got set on the back burner but I do still intend to do them.

This Year's Model CK 35331 DIDP-020325 5 + ++ +++++ (the + is a circle with lines protruding out from its edge)

Taking Liberties CK 36839 DIDP 70164 11A15

Almost Blue CK 37562 DIDP-071681 6 +++ +++++ (see the first entry)
    Worth noting that I've never seen track four subtitled with the original name of the song, but here they call it "I'm Your Toy (Hot Burrito #1)". I like Gram Parsons a lot, but he sure knew how to pick some dreadful names.

Punch The Clock CK 38897 DIDP 20033 21A4
    Interestingly, the actual printing on the disc face (above the Compact Disc logo) states "DIDP 020033", but the matrix itself has no leading zero.

princesskiki and strippies like this.
  19. strippies

A leading zero DADC press has been posted above with slightly different values from the Pitman. Probably just different indexing.

Taking Liberties and Punch The Clock have only been posted with leading zero versions and Almost Blue hasn't been posted yet, so please do.

I found out that the algorithm used by the standalone DR tool for Apple machines produces slightly different peak values compared with the correct values produced by EAC, CUETools and the foobar2000 plugin. Not sure about the standalone DR tool for Windows.

20. InStepWithTheStars

Cheers, I'll get these done today. That's interesting that Apple logs are different. I wonder if mine might yield still different results as I use Windows 7. I do know my output file looks different from most (no track lengths, etc.) But it's the only DR meter I found that works, and I'm not paying for that new one (I would if it was $4, but not $50, that's criminal!).

strippies and princesskiki like this.
  21. InStepWithTheStars

My good computer has the best disc drive I've ever used but every once in a while it will rip a CD at playback speed and it's doing that with This Year's Model. :disgust: Luckily it's a short album with two tracks missing. In the meantime, here's a purty pitcher:

[​IMG]

Left half is non-leading-zero Columbias, then my three Demon CDs, then to the right of that (starting with Girls Girls Girls) is the leading-zero Columbias. At this point I may as well just post DR logs for every single one of these, so once these last four discs all get loaded up, expect a wall of code blocks in my next post...

22. InStepWithTheStars

Here's all my DR logs for the CDs shown in the picture above. All files are unaltered WAV files ripped using a relatively recent version of iTunes (downloaded and installed about a year ago) on a Windows 7 PC. I'm not sure which standalone TT DR Meter I have, but it's ominously called "DSP Remote Control Software" or something similar. The computer isn't connected to the Internet (and hasn't been since 2014 or possibly earlier) so I'm not too concerned about my recording computer getting hacked. :)

All information in the header of the DR log is taken from the printed inserts, except for the year, which is often based on Discogs, common sense, or guess work, and the matrix, which is of course based on the CD itself. Moulded text is typed first (ex. "CSR COMPACT DISC"), then the printed matrix. With the exception of My Aim Is True, plus signs indicate a circle with four lines protruding from its outer edge at the four compass directions. "[DADC "D" Logo]" is not printed, but refers to the logo (a square with a vertical rectangle and a half-circle forming a "D" shape). Any oddities in track titles, company names, etc. can be attributed to the insert it was copied verbatim from. Barcodes are presented in EAN-13 format even when the printed barcode only has 11 numbers (thanks, GTIN!). All links go to Discogs pages for the corresponding release.

My Aim Is True – Columbia (Second CSR Japan Pressing)
    Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Elvis Costello | My Aim Is True | 1986 | Columbia Records | CK 35037 | 0074643503723 | CSR COMPACT DISC CSR COMPACT DISC CSR COMPACT DISC | DIDP-20091 21A1 +++++
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     DR          Peak            RMS          Filename

DR12     -2.25 dB    -16.22 dB    01 Welcome To The Working Week
     DR11     -2.06 dB    -14.92 dB    02 Miracle Man
     DR12     -2.17 dB    -16.31 dB    03 No Dancing
     DR12     -2.53 dB    -16.77 dB    04 Blame It On Cain
     DR12     -1.02 dB    -16.03 dB    05 Alison
     DR12     -1.67 dB    -15.22 dB    06 Sneaky Feelings
     DR11     -2.38 dB    -15.74 dB    07 Watching The Detectives
     DR12     -0.73 dB    -14.75 dB    08 (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
     DR12     -1.43 dB    -16.27 dB    09 Less Than Zero
     DR10     -2.24 dB    -15.13 dB    10 Mystery Dance
     DR11     -0.63 dB    -14.31 dB    11 Pay It Back
     DR13     -0.16 dB    -15.27 dB    12 I'm Not Angry
     DR11      over       -13.97 dB    13 Waiting For The End Of The World

Number of files:    13
     Official DR value:  DR12

==============================================================================================

This Year's Model – Columbia (Secret Remaster)
    Code:
     Elvis Costello | This Year's Model | 1989 | Columbia Records / CBS Inc. | CK 35331 | 0074643533126 | DIDP-020325 5 + ++ +++++

DR10     -2.01 dB    -14.47 dB    01 No Action
     DR11     -1.95 dB    -14.66 dB    02 This Year's Girl
     DR11     -3.95 dB    -18.33 dB    03 The Beat
     DR12     -1.45 dB    -14.61 dB    04 Pump It Up
     DR13     -1.92 dB    -17.75 dB    05 Little Triggers
     DR14     -0.24 dB    -17.01 dB    06 You Belong To Me
     DR12     -2.14 dB    -17.42 dB    07 Hand In Hand
     DR12     -2.17 dB    -16.42 dB    08 Lip Service
     DR12     -2.27 dB    -17.90 dB    09 Living In Paradise
     DR11     -2.37 dB    -16.76 dB    10 Lipstick Vogue
     DR12     -2.35 dB    -17.71 dB    11 Radio, Radio

Number of files:    11

==============================================================================================

Armed Forces – Columbia (Early US Pressing)
    Code:
     Elvis Costello | Armed Forces | 1986 | Columbia Records/CBS Inc. | CK 35709 | 0074643570923 | Made in USA-Digital Audio Disc Corp. [DADC "D" Logo]® | DIDP 20187 21A6

DR13     -1.27 dB    -16.12 dB    01 Accidents Will Happen
     DR14     -1.23 dB    -17.75 dB    02 Senior Service
     DR11     -1.19 dB    -15.09 dB    03 Oliver's Army
     DR12     -0.01 dB    -15.31 dB    04 Big Boys
     DR17     -0.38 dB    -20.78 dB    05 Green Shirt
     DR13     -1.17 dB    -17.34 dB    06 Party Girl
     DR12      over        -15.68 dB    07 Goon Squad
     DR13     -0.51 dB    -17.54 dB    08 Busy Bodies
     DR13     -1.96 dB    -17.77 dB    09 Moods For Moderns
     DR14     -1.24 dB    -17.51 dB    10 Chemistry Class
     DR15     -0.76 dB    -19.22 dB    11 Two Little Hitlers
     DR11     -1.59 dB    -14.66 dB    12 (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding

Number of files:    12
     Official DR value:  DR13

Get Happy!! – Demon Records
    Code:
     Elvis Costello The Attractions | Get Happy! | 1986 | Demon Records Ltd. | IMP FIEND CD24 | 5014757070242 | FIEND CD 24 : 1:12 MASTERED BY NIMBUS

DR12     -0.96 dB    -14.85 dB    01 Love For Tender
     DR11      over        -12.41 dB    02 Opportunity
     DR13     -0.38 dB    -14.61 dB    03 The Imposter
     DR13      over        -13.73 dB    04 Secondary Modern
     DR12      over        -13.86 dB    05 King Horse
     DR12     -0.00 dB    -13.01 dB    06 Possession
     DR11     -1.03 dB    -13.43 dB    07 Man Called Uncle
     DR13     -0.02 dB    -14.68 dB    08 Clowntime Is Over
     DR11     -1.08 dB    -13.87 dB    09 New Amsterdam
     DR13     -0.21 dB    -14.55 dB    10 High Fidelity
     DR12     -0.06 dB    -13.89 dB    11 I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
     DR11     -1.62 dB    -15.22 dB    12 Black & White World
     DR12     -0.89 dB    -15.10 dB    13 Five Gears In Reverse
     DR14     -0.03 dB    -15.81 dB    14 B Movie
     DR13      over        -16.13 dB    15 Motel Matches
     DR11     -0.06 dB    -12.43 dB    16 Human Touch
     DR12     -4.19 dB    -17.09 dB    17 Beaten To The Punch
     DR12     -0.33 dB    -13.62 dB    18 Temptation
     DR11     -2.15 dB    -13.85 dB    19 I Stand Accused
     DR12      over        -14.90 dB    20 Riot Act

Number of files:    20

Get Happy!! – Columbia (Secret Remaster)
    Code:
     Elvis Costello And The Attractions | Get Happy!! | 1989 | Columbia Records/CBS Inc. | CK 36347 | 0074643634724 | Made in USA-Digital Audio Disc Corp. [DADC "D" Logo]® | DIDP-070083 3 +++ +++++

DR12     -3.12 dB    -17.15 dB    01 Love For Tender
     DR11     -0.72 dB    -14.63 dB    02 Opportunity
     DR13     -1.45 dB    -16.81 dB    03 The Imposter
     DR13     -1.23 dB    -15.99 dB    04 Secondary Modern
     DR12     -1.06 dB    -16.15 dB    05 King Horse
     DR12     -1.31 dB    -15.29 dB    06 Possession
     DR11     -2.33 dB    -15.81 dB    07 Man Called Uncle
     DR13     -1.32 dB    -16.86 dB    08 Clowntime Is Over
     DR11     -3.17 dB    -16.13 dB    09 New Amsterdam
     DR13     -1.37 dB    -16.84 dB    10 High Fidelity
     DR12     -1.73 dB    -16.15 dB    11 I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
     DR12     -3.10 dB    -17.57 dB    12 Black And White World
     DR12     -2.61 dB    -17.39 dB    13 5ive Gears In Reverse
     DR14     -0.90 dB    -18.05 dB    14 B Movie
     DR13     -1.74 dB    -18.41 dB    15 Motel Matches
     DR11     -1.39 dB    -14.70 dB    16 Human Touch
     DR12     -5.75 dB    -18.84 dB    17 Beaten To The Punch
     DR12     -2.29 dB    -15.93 dB    18 Temptation
     DR11     -3.30 dB    -16.13 dB    19 I Stand Accused
     DR12     -1.34 dB    -17.13 dB    20 Riot Act

Taking Liberties – Columbia (Early US Pressing)
    Code:
     Elvis Costello | Taking Liberties | 1986 | Columbia Records/CBS Inc | CK 36839 | 007443683920 | Made in USA-Digital Audio Disc Corp. [DADC "D" Logo]® | DIDP 70164 11A15

DR12     -5.00 dB    -19.06 dB    01 Clean Money
     DR13     -3.59 dB    -19.67 dB    02 Girls Talk
     DR13     -3.13 dB    -18.80 dB    03 Talking In The Dark
     DR14     -5.04 dB    -20.88 dB    04 Radio Sweetheart†
     DR14     -5.42 dB    -23.80 dB    05 Black And White World*
     DR12     -5.06 dB    -18.92 dB    06 Big Tears
     DR15     -5.35 dB    -24.20 dB    07 Just A Memory*
     DR12     -5.00 dB    -19.75 dB    08 Night Rally
     DR12     -5.88 dB    -20.67 dB    09 Stranger In The House
     DR15     -3.16 dB    -22.25 dB    10 Clowntime Is Over *
     DR13     -4.37 dB    -19.05 dB    11 Getting Mighty Crowded*
     DR12     -5.07 dB    -19.97 dB    12 Hoover Factory*
     DR12     -5.15 dB    -19.10 dB    13 Tiny Steps
     DR12     -4.88 dB    -18.38 dB    14 (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
     DR12     -4.32 dB    -19.05 dB    15 Dr. Luther's Assistant *
     DR12     -3.33 dB    -18.42 dB    16 Sunday's Best
     DR13     -2.12 dB    -18.52 dB    17 Crawling To The U.S.A.*‡
     DR12     -4.62 dB    -19.44 dB    18 Wednesday Week
     DR12     -6.68 dB    -22.81 dB    19 My Funny Valentine *
     DR12     -4.93 dB    -21.51 dB    20 Ghost Train *

Trust – Columbia (Early US Pressing)
    There isn't a Discogs page for this pressing yet!
    Code:
     Elvis Costello And The Attractions | Trust | 1986 | Columbia Records/CBS Inc. | CK 37051 | 0074643705127 | Made in USA-Digital Audio Disc Corp. [DADC "D" Logo]® | DIDP 70208 11

DR11     -2.54 dB    -15.20 dB    01 Clubland
     DR11     -1.97 dB    -15.24 dB    02 Lovers Walk
     DR12     -1.85 dB    -16.45 dB    03 You'll Never Be A Man
     DR11     -2.61 dB    -15.58 dB    04 Pretty Words
     DR12     -2.01 dB    -15.80 dB    05 Strict Time
     DR10     -2.42 dB    -14.06 dB    06 Luxembourg
     DR12     -3.00 dB    -17.23 dB    07 Watch Your Step
     DR12     -4.00 dB    -18.17 dB    08 New Lace Sleeves
     DR11     -3.19 dB    -15.29 dB    09 From A Whisper To A Scream
     DR13     -3.17 dB    -17.32 dB    10 Different Finger
     DR11     -3.04 dB    -15.78 dB    11 White Knuckles
     DR12     -3.36 dB    -18.85 dB    12 Shot With His Own Gun
     DR12     -2.21 dB    -15.79 dB    13 Fish 'N' Chip Paper
     DR11     -4.77 dB    -17.71 dB    14 Big Sister's Clothes

Number of files:    14
     Official DR value:  DR11

Almost Blue – Demon Records
    Code:
     Elvis Costello & The Attractions | Almost Blue | 1986 | Imp Records | IMP FIEND CD 33 | FIEND CD 33 • NIMBUS ENGLAND

DR13      over        -15.91 dB    01 Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)
     DR13      over        -18.70 dB    02 Sweet Dreams
     DR14     -0.78 dB    -18.15 dB    03 Success
     DR15     -0.00 dB    -18.74 dB    04 I'm Your Toy
     DR13     -0.39 dB    -16.34 dB    05 Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
     DR14     -0.00 dB    -16.90 dB    06 Brown To Blue
     DR14      over        -18.06 dB    07 Good Year For The Roses
     DR14      over        -16.94 dB    08 Sittin' And Thinkin'
     DR14     -0.07 dB    -17.72 dB    09 Colour Of The Blues
     DR13     -3.88 dB    -21.59 dB    10 Too Far Gone
     DR15     -0.00 dB    -17.39 dB    11 Honey Hush
     DR15     -2.01 dB    -19.35 dB    12 How Much I Lied

Official DR value:  DR14

Almost Blue – Columbia (Secret Remaster)
    Yes, these numbers are actually correct...
    Code:
     Elvis Costello | Almost Blue | 1989 | Columbia Records/CBS Records Inc. | CK 37562 | 0074643756228) | Made in USA-Digital Audio Disc Corp. [DADC "D" Logo]® | DIDP-071681 6 +++ +++++

DR7     -0.13 dB     -9.35 dB    01 (Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)
     DR8     -0.13 dB    -12.01 dB    02 Sweet Dreams
     DR9     -0.13 dB    -11.09 dB    03 Success
     DR9     -0.13 dB    -11.76 dB    04 I'm Your Toy (Hot Burrito #1)
     DR8     -0.13 dB     -9.77 dB    05 Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
     DR8     -0.13 dB    -10.38 dB    06 Brown To Blue
     DR7     -0.13 dB     -9.56 dB    07 A Good Year For The Roses
     DR8     -0.13 dB    -10.23 dB    08 Sittin' And Thinkin'
     DR7     -0.13 dB     -9.18 dB    09 Color Of The Blues
     DR9     -0.13 dB    -12.36 dB    10 Too Far Gone
     DR7     -0.13 dB     -8.62 dB    11 Honey Hush
     DR9     -0.13 dB    -10.15 dB    12 How Much I Lied

Official DR value:  DR8

Punch The Clock – Columbia
    Weirdly, the back insert states "Record manufactured in Japan by CBS/Sony, Tokyo, Japan" and also has the "Now Made In The U.S.A." blurb on the left side. Due to the lack of DADC mould identifiers, I'm going to assume this is made in Japan, but I don't know for sure.
    Code:
     Elvis Costello And The Attractions | Punch The Clock | 1986 | Columbia Records/CBS Inc. | CK 38897 | 0074643889728) | DIDP 20033 21A4

DR12     -0.12 dB    -15.44 dB    01 Let Them All Talk
     DR14     -0.60 dB    -16.24 dB    02 Everyday I Write The Book
     DR13     -0.00 dB    -15.84 dB    03 The Greatest Thing
     DR13     -1.95 dB    -16.67 dB    04 The Element Within Her
     DR14     -0.40 dB    -16.40 dB    05 Love Went Mad
     DR12     -2.07 dB    -18.39 dB    06 Shipbuilding
     DR13     -0.89 dB    -16.67 dB    07 TKO (Boxing Day)
     DR14     -0.76 dB    -17.47 dB    08 Charm School
     DR14     -0.57 dB    -16.80 dB    09 The Invisible Man
     DR13     -0.81 dB    -16.97 dB    10 Mouth Almighty
     DR14     -1.66 dB    -17.55 dB    11 King Of Thieves
     DR13     -6.20 dB    -22.41 dB    12 Pills And Soap
     DR13     -0.00 dB    -15.29 dB    13 The World And His Wife

Number of files:    13

The Best Of Elvis Costello And The Attractions – Columbia
    This is definitely pressed at a different plant, and doesn't have any of the DIDP markings.
    Code:
     Elvis Costello And The Attractions | The Best Of Elvis Costello And The Attractions | 1985 | Columbia Records/CBS Inc. | CK 40101 | 0074644010121 | CMU P 107 | 1D CK40101 36 B

DR12     -0.43 dB    -15.51 dB    01 Alison
     DR11     -1.10 dB    -14.92 dB    02 Watching The Detectives
     DR11     -2.42 dB    -15.08 dB    03 (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
     DR12     -1.46 dB    -15.28 dB    04 Oliver's Army
     DR12     -2.34 dB    -16.57 dB    05 (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
     DR13     -0.00 dB    -14.12 dB    06 Pump It Up
     DR13     -0.25 dB    -15.69 dB    07 Accidents Will Happen
     DR13      over        -14.47 dB    08 Radio, Radio
     DR13      over        -14.46 dB    09 I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
     DR13     -0.00 dB    -16.27 dB    10 A Good Year For The Roses
     DR13     -4.23 dB    -20.57 dB    11 Almost Blue
     DR12     -0.28 dB    -14.80 dB    12 Beyond Belief
     DR12     -2.20 dB    -15.92 dB    13 Man Out Of Time
     DR11     -1.17 dB    -14.46 dB    14 Clubland
     DR12     -2.43 dB    -15.97 dB    15 Watch Your Step
     DR13     -1.82 dB    -17.84 dB    16 Shipbuilding
     DR12     -1.86 dB    -16.39 dB    17 I Wanna Be Loved
     DR13     -0.90 dB    -16.56 dB    18 Everyday I Write The Book
     DR10     -3.79 dB    -15.78 dB    19 The Only Flame In Town

Number of files:    19

King Of America – Columbia (Early US Pressing)
    Code:
     The Costello Show (Featuring Elvis Costello) | King Of America | 1986 | Columbia Records/CBS Inc. | CK 40173 | 0074644017328 | Made in USA-Digital Audio Disc Corp. [DADC "D" Logo]® | DIDP 70030 11A3

DR13     -1.28 dB    -16.67 dB    01 Brilliant Mistake
     DR13     -1.35 dB    -16.30 dB    02 Lovable
     DR13     -3.16 dB    -17.81 dB    03 Our Little Angel
     DR14     -1.87 dB    -18.09 dB    04 Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
     DR13     -1.34 dB    -15.72 dB    05 Glitter Gulch
     DR11     -3.62 dB    -18.57 dB    06 Indoor Fireworks
     DR11     -4.44 dB    -18.46 dB    07 Little Palaces
     DR14     -1.79 dB    -19.65 dB    08 I'll Wear It Proudly
     DR12     -2.14 dB    -15.82 dB    09 American Without Tears
     DR13     -1.67 dB    -16.82 dB    10 Eisenhower Blues
     DR12     -2.19 dB    -17.75 dB    11 Poisoned Rose
     DR12     -1.92 dB    -15.82 dB    12 The Big Light
     DR13     -1.00 dB    -17.85 dB    13 Jack Of All Parades
     DR13     -0.40 dB    -16.63 dB    14 Suit Of Lights
     DR15     -1.87 dB    -20.20 dB    15 Sleep Of The Just

Number of files:    15

Blood And Chocolate – Demon Records
    Code:
     Elvis Costello And The Attractions | Blood & Chocolate | 1986 | IMP Records | FIEND CD 80 | 5014757070808 | FIEND CD80 • MASTERED BY NIMBUS

DR12     -0.99 dB    -14.90 dB    01 Uncomplicated
     DR11     -1.43 dB    -14.10 dB    02 I Hope You're Happy Now
     DR11     -1.18 dB    -14.39 dB    03 Tokyo Storm Warning
     DR13     -0.50 dB    -16.13 dB    04 Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head
     DR13     -3.97 dB    -21.41 dB    05 I Want You
     DR11     -1.04 dB    -15.41 dB    06 Honey Are You Straight Or Are You Blind?
     DR12     -2.43 dB    -16.28 dB    07 Blue Chair
     DR13     -0.79 dB    -19.48 dB    08 Battered Old Bird
     DR12     -1.14 dB    -16.60 dB    09 Crimes Of Paris
     DR13     -1.53 dB    -17.04 dB    10 Poor Napoleon
     DR10     -2.91 dB    -15.05 dB    11 Next Time Round

Number of files:    11

Girls Girls Girls – Columbia
    NOTE: Disc 1 had some songs which skipped, I re-ripped it a few times and I *think* it's skip-free, but I'm not 100% certain. If my values differ from yours, tell me the track and I'll test to see if there's a skip.
    Code:
     Elvis Costello | Girls Girls Girls | 1989 | Columbia Records | C2K 46897 | 0074644689723 | [DADC "D" Logo] | DIDP-073091 3 + ++ +++++ | Disc 1

DR14     -1.79 dB    -18.41 dB    1-01 Watching The Detectives
     DR11     -1.45 dB    -14.38 dB    1-02 I Hope You're Happy Now
     DR11     -2.07 dB    -14.79 dB    1-03 This Year's Girl
     DR16     -0.51 dB    -17.53 dB    1-04 Lover's Walk
     DR11     -2.22 dB    -15.02 dB    1-05 Pump It Up
     DR14     -0.99 dB    -15.97 dB    1-06 Strict Time
     DR12     -1.57 dB    -14.77 dB    1-07 Temptation
     DR12     -1.95 dB    -15.92 dB    1-08 (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
     DR13     -0.48 dB    -15.72 dB    1-09 High Fidelity
     DR13     -1.27 dB    -16.36 dB    1-10 Lovable
     DR13     -0.03 dB    -16.37 dB    1-11 Mystery Dance
     DR12     -0.79 dB    -14.67 dB    1-12 Big Tears
     DR12     -2.08 dB    -15.48 dB    1-13 Uncomplicated
     DR11     -2.20 dB    -17.14 dB    1-14 Lipstick Vogue
     DR12     -1.36 dB    -15.45 dB    1-15 Man Out Of Time
     DR13     -1.39 dB    -17.05 dB    1-16 Brilliant Mistake
     DR15     -0.56 dB    -18.26 dB    1-17 New Lace Sleeves
     DR13     -0.97 dB    -15.66 dB    1-18 Accidents Will Happen
     DR12     -1.67 dB    -15.77 dB    1-19 Beyond Belief
     DR12     -1.83 dB    -16.31 dB    1-20 Black And White World
     DR16     -0.37 dB    -19.67 dB    1-21 Green Shirt
     DR13     -0.93 dB    -15.84 dB    1-22 The Loved Ones
     DR11     -1.61 dB    -14.19 dB    1-23 New Amsterdam
     DR14     -0.01 dB    -15.81 dB    1-24 (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
     DR12     -0.77 dB    -15.45 dB    1-25 King Horse
     DR11     -3.25 dB    -16.90 dB    1-26 Big Sister's Clothes

Number of files:    26

Code:
     Elvis Costello | Girls Girls Girls | 1989 | Columbia Records | C2K 46897 | 0074644689723 | [DADC "D" Logo] | DIDP-073092 1 +++ +++++ | Disc 2

DR14     -1.71 dB    -20.36 dB    2-01 Alison
     DR12     -2.05 dB    -15.51 dB    2-02 Man Called Uncle
     DR14     -0.10 dB    -17.34 dB    2-03 Party Girl
     DR14     -1.13 dB    -18.30 dB    2-04 Shabby Doll
     DR13     -1.09 dB    -17.12 dB    2-05 Motel Matches
     DR13     -0.59 dB    -16.10 dB    2-06 Tiny Steps
     DR12     -4.53 dB    -20.40 dB    2-07 Almost Blue
     DR12      over        -15.03 dB    2-08 Riot Act
     DR15     -0.02 dB    -16.87 dB    2-09 Love Field
     DR12     -0.53 dB    -14.26 dB    2-10 Possession
     DR12     -2.22 dB    -17.91 dB    2-11 Poisoned Rose
     DR12     -2.48 dB    -18.54 dB    2-12 Indoor Fireworks
     DR13     -4.08 dB    -21.37 dB    2-13 I Want You (Single Version)
     DR12     -1.01 dB    -15.17 dB    2-14 Oliver's Army
     DR14     -5.60 dB    -21.27 dB    2-15 Pills And Soap
     DR12     -2.30 dB    -15.98 dB    2-16 Sunday's Best
     DR14      over        -16.12 dB    2-17 Watch Your Step
     DR16     -0.02 dB    -19.19 dB    2-18 Less Than Zero
     DR13     -0.65 dB    -16.65 dB    2-19 Clubland
     DR12     -0.87 dB    -14.61 dB    2-20 Tokyo Storm Warning
     DR12     -2.34 dB    -18.64 dB    2-21 Shipbuilding

Number of files:    21

23. InStepWithTheStars

Okay, let's get to the bottom of this Almost Blue nonsense...

I was shocked when I got the DR log for that Columbia CD. So shocked, in fact, that I promptly posted about it... in the wrong thread. I've deleted the post, but there may have been a few confused Who fans scratching their heads wondering what the hell Almost Blue was. Whoops! (Although, incidentally, "Break The News" from the newest Who album shares a few melodic lines with the song "Almost Blue"... but I digress.)

Yes, the DR logs are accurate. This is a LOUD CD. I sincerely doubt it's based on the Demon CD the way some other leading-zero Columbia CDs are. They don't play at the same speed and I don't think they're the same digital transfer. This is a bright, hissy CD. There's a lot less dynamic range, even in the quieter parts – kinda like that original Trust CD when compared against Girls Girls Girls. I suppose the same digital transfer, sans treble roll-off, could have been copied to tape and fed through an analog compressor, but Occam's razor suggests it's a heavily compressed copy tape mastered bloody loud.

Here's an animation of the two waveforms on "Good Year For The Roses", the Demon and the level-matched Columbia (-8.50 dB), to show the difference. Look at the quiet intro, and notice that the Columbia isn't just peak limited, but heavily compressed even in the soft sections. You may be able to see the slight speed difference as well, especially at the very end.

[​IMG]

And here's the un-altered waveform of "Good Year For The Roses" on the secret remaster:

[​IMG]

I'll listen and compare more tracks to give a more detailed look at the sound. But the biggest takeaway thus far is that it's LOUD and it's HISSY. This may be similar to how @princesskiki described the very first CSR My Aim Is True, a tape played back without Dolby engaged. Either way, the Demon, although fairly dark-sounding, sounds a lot nicer, at least on this track. I suspect this won't be the only track that happens with...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  24. InStepWithTheStars

I just checked my Punch The Clock and it states "Manufactured in U.S.A." at the bottom of the disc face. The RMS numbers are totally different to the ones posted by @MLutthans, but upon closer inspection, I think it could potentially be the same mastering, but level-shifted. The DR numbers all match and the peak levels, while varied, seem to be around 2.5 dB apart on average. I'm listening to "Let Them All Talk" now and it sounds okay, but rather bass-shy and the horns are a tad grating (although that's a problem with the mix, not the mastering).

25. InStepWithTheStars

Here are some comparisons. This is not exhaustive, nor are they the only comparisons I'll do. They're just great songs I wanted to listen to. :) All comparisons were done using Sony MDR-7506 Professional headphones (which are supposedly flat response). I've used these headphones daily for over a year, probably for a minimum of 5 hours a day the past few months (I'm guessing 8-10 hours a day on average), so I know what they sound like. I'm particularly sensitive to the 1.5-2.5 kHz range and somewhere around 8 kHz, so I'm probably going to favour masters that have less going on at those areas (provided they aren't totally muddy, of course).

"Pills And Soap" – Columbia Punch The Clock has less bass and treble, more midrangey. Not too bad. Girls Girls Girls has a more "normal" EQ balance, but this is not a normal song. Needs less (I think) low midrange and maybe a reduction around 8k (?) to sound more natural. I haven't tested.

"Shipbuilding" – Columbia Punch The Clock is bass-deficient, but I still prefer it to Girls Girls Girls, which is just a bit unpleasant in the upper frequencies. The lack of bass on the Columbia is really the only problem with it, it sounds very nice otherwise. The Best Of EC & The Attractions is the brightest of the three I compared, has a fade-up on the opening note (although it's barely noticeable), leans a little bit to the left channel, and there's an ugly digital sheen on the vocals.

"Temptation" – Demon and Columbia secret remaster ("Col2") are basically identical. There are differences, but if you gave me a blind test, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. (EDIT: This was a mistake, the two are very different; see my later post.) This song has a slightly odd stereo mix, but on both of those, I hear a very slight left-channel lean compared to Girls Girls Girls. Tonally, all three are similar. There's a bit more low midrange on the Get Happy!! CDs, and a little bit more treble on Girls Girls Girls. None sound bad.

"Accidents Will Happen" – There's a very slight fade-up at the beginning of Girls Girls Girls which is not present on my US-made Columbia Armed Forces. Significantly more treble on the latter. Girls Girls Girls sounds like there's a blanket over the speakers. The brightness on the Columbia Armed Forces occasionally edges toward "harsh", but unlike the Rhino version I've listened to for years, never actually crosses that line. I don't own the recent super-deluxe edition, but listening to the samples on Qobuz, it's louder (and I suspect has a bit of compression), but has a great EQ balance.

"Lipstick Vogue" – Col2 This Year's Model and Girls Girls Girls both sound very similar. The treble is a little bit more "open" on GGG. The cymbal in the right channel seems to be more pronounced on GGG – but I think this is EQ highlighting a relatively empty area of the mix, rather than a mis-aligned transfer or something like that. Both sound pretty good. I'm used to the Rhino, so finally hearing this song with dynamics is a bit odd... but I dig it. This song and "New Lace Sleeves" are the Attractions' finest hour. :cool:

"(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea" – Taking Liberties is very quiet and runs noticeably faster than Girls Girls Girls. I think Taking Liberties might be slightly folded in, because GGG sounds weighted to the left channel until the organ comes in, and that sounds like it's further right. Taking Liberties has more analog compression on the tape. EQ-wise, GGG is nicely balanced while TL has a nasty treble boost (I'm guessing 4k-12k). Definitely prefer GGG here, curious about the stereo though.

"Tiny Steps" – Taking Liberties is a real stinker! It runs a lot faster, leans noticeably to the right channel, doesn't have nice EQ, and comes from a very compressed tape. This sounds really bad. Girls Girls Girls sounds better in every way.

"Big Tears" – Okay, once was a fluke and twice was a coincidence, but three times is enough. Taking Liberties, catalog number CK 36839, matrix DIDP 70164, is a terrible-sounding CD and should be avoided. It almost sounds like the '60s-style "fake stereo" EQ on this song. There's barely any bass, the vocals sound louder in the left channel, the drums sound louder in the right channel. The whole thing is soaked in a bath of analog compression until it wrinkles. Ugh. Taking Liberties is a great album with a great cover, but don't buy the CD – at least, not the pressing I have.

That's all I've got in me right now, but if there's a song you'd like to hear my comparisons of (between any of the CDs listed in that monster post a few hours before this one), let me know and I'll be happy to give 'em a spin for you! The only albums I don't have at all on early CD are Imperial Bedroom and Goodbye Cruel World, and I don't think there's any overlap between my two comps.