Elvis Costello & The Attractions - This Year's Model - 2021 remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, Sep 10, 2021.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

Apparently the vinyl mastering of the new remaster has great DR numbers, more or less the same as MFSL's with an average of 12 and going up as high as 15. If the CD edition is like this, that would be amazing and potentially a new, definitive digital mastering of this album. (And it would have "Radio Radio" and "Big Tears" as a bonus!)

2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Elvis is death on CDs for some reason, so if there is a digital edition of the remaster, it will probably be download-only. Last year's Armed Forces remaster (CD quality only) was probably the best digital mastering despite a little bit of compression. I'd be very happy if more albums get that remaster treatment!

If you're interested in early Elvis CDs, please check out this thread and contribute if you can: Elvis Costello Early CD Masterings

3. Storytime

Storytime Forum Resident

I'm VERY eager to read some reviews on this remastering. I missed out on the MFSL, but some reviewers here felt it lacked the punch of the UK first press anyway. I'm hoping this will be my go-to vinyl version.

dee, C6H12O6, art and 1 other person like this.
  4. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

The new remaster is available as a CD. The DR number is 12, if you’re interested in that sort of thing (I’m not). Last year’s Armed Forces remaster quickly became my favorite digital version, and a cursory listen to the new TYM has me thinking I’ll feel the same about this release.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  5. InStepWithTheStars

Wow! Is it out already, or have they just announced a CD version? If it's out, I'd better grab a copy before Elvis finds out...

Harty_88 and GetHappy!! like this.
  6. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I have the Rykodisc 18 track version on CD. Its been a while since I played it, curious how the newer remaster compares.

7. GetHappy!!

It’s out today. For the record, while Elvis is not crazy about CDs (I think partially due to digital being easily pirated), he did clarify last year that the Armed Forces box set was vinyl/download only due to Universal wanting it that way.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  8. InStepWithTheStars

If the Ryko is anything like every other Ryko CD I've ever heard, it's probably decent but lacking in bass and over-stuffed in the top end. The Rhino for this title is brickwalled (the other Rhinos are not, although they're still loud).

Based on the Qobuz samples (I can't afford the full set at the moment), the 2020 Armed Forces remaster has the best EQ at the expense of a little bit of dynamic range. If this release is similar, it will probably be the best option.

9. InStepWithTheStars

Hmm, do you have a source on that? I seem to recall someone posting a quote directly from him, although that could be incorrect.

His Rhino series, debatable mastering aside, are among the best CDs ever produced. :love:

RoyalScam and BuckNaked like this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

So who mastered this new CD, do the liner notes say?

11. GetHappy!!

There’s a different article I don’t have handy, but it’s quoted here as well -

Elvis Costello on Turning 'Armed Forces' Into 2020's Coolest Boxed Set - Variety

From that article:

“Also: Why no CD version? (He says that wasn’t his choice, but, since we asked, he’s okay with compact discs going the way of the Dodo bird.)”

12. InStepWithTheStars

I can see where people seemed to think he despised them:

You did set off a bit of a controversy the other day, when someone asked you about the set not coming out on CD and you said you were fine with CDs going away, saying it’s an outmoded medium.

It is. You know what? I would rather see cassettes come back than CD survive. And it didn’t really cause a controversy — eight people on Twitter said that, probably, like everything else. If you’re not looking, it stops happening. … You know, if you believe that CD’s better, great. Knock yourself out. You just won’t be able to buy this record. Why not just listen to the downloads? Then you can move around your house all you like.

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have all the 2-Disc Rhino Editions, and to my ears and system, they're terrific. This new version has a measly two bonus tracks, so there's no reason for me to consider it.

Dennis Metz, bob60, FJC1966 and 4 others like this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As a CD buyer, I'm okay with this quote. If Elvis doesn't want my money, especially for a recording I've owned four times already, then so be it.

15. InStepWithTheStars

Had to do some digging, but I found the downloads on Qobuz:

Album This Year's Model, Elvis Costello | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality
    Album This Year's Model, Elvis Costello | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality

The first one is 24/192, the second is 24/96. The first link also offers a 24/96 download, for $6 more than the standalone 24/96. Weird. I'm only going to buy the CD. I see the download includes "Big Tears" – does the CD as well? That would be very cool!

Hard to tell for sure based on the brief samples, but I like the sound of this a lot more than the brickwalled Rhino. The bass is a hair louder than I'd like, but apart from that, there's a good tonal balance. The mix is still rough and dirty as hell – wouldn't want it any other way! I never noticed acoustic guitar on "Hand In Hand" before I played this sample. I definitely want to track down the CD edition of this remaster and compare it against my Columbia "secret remaster".

I'm going to guess this is the same engineer who did Armed Forces as they both have the same sonic character. Anybody know who? It sounds like it could be Tim Young, but there's less bass than he usually adds. Bob Ludwig has done his two most recent albums, but this doesn't have his signature upper midrange (unless he was trying to mimic the Porky EQ). Overall, this is forward-sounding, but in a good way; nothing is pushed too far, except maybe the bass, and everything sits nicely while still packing a punch. Hard to judge exactly how compressed based on the samples, but if there is any compression, it can't be more than 3 dB at the absolute most.

EDIT: The LPs were cut by Ryan Smith – he probably did the downloads (and CD) too. I like Ryan's work – the recent Church Starfish reissue on Intervention is wonderful. This does sound like his style. Excellent!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    dee likes this.
  16. C6H12O6

I think we may have a winner with this new remaster! Someone sent me an AIFF of "Little Triggers" so I popped it into my universal player and compared it to the old Demon CD. Volume is similar, doesn't sound like any additional compression was used, and the bass on both is surprisingly big and full, but the new remaster is a MUCH better transfer, and the old Demon CD sounds kind of thin and weedy in comparison, at least when you listen to the top and upper mids. (FYI it doesn't sound like either has anything like a treble boost.) Also ran the AIFF through the DR meter and it comes out at 14, so very dynamic.

It may be a little tricky to find in stores because there are so many damn editions of this album, but here are some direct links:

https://www.amazon.com/Years-Model-Remastered-Costello-Attractions/dp/B099BZK2V6/

Import CD's: Elvis Costello & the Attractions This Year's Model Remastered on ImportCDs

Target: https://www.target.com/p/elvis-costello-the-attractions-this-year-s-model-remastered-cd/-/A-83974486

Deep Discount: Elvis Costello & the Attractions This Year's Model on DeepDiscount

There's apparently a green sticker on the plastic wrap that says:

2021 REMASTERED
    ORIGINAL U.K. ALBUM

SOURCED FROM
    THE ORIGINAL
    ANALOGUE MASTERS!
    INCLUDING
    2 U.S. BONUS TRACKS
    "RADIO RADIO" +
    "BIG TEARS"

frightwigwam, mikeyt, dee and 5 others like this.
  17. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Going to give a listen to it on Apple Music tonight. Sounds like Reissue of the Year to me!

18. InStepWithTheStars

Thanks for this review! The Demon seems to be the best-loved CD, so – gasp – we've finally found a remaster that betters the original. Do you see any noticeable compression in the waveform or does it look like dynamic range is fully intact? I ask because the Armed Forces one clearly does hit a wall, I can hear that in the Qobuz samples, but I don't hear the same thing in the Qobuz samples for this one. Not sure if it's just my browser, the samples, etc. but it sounds like there's less compression than the (barely compressed at all) Armed Forces remaster. Without having the files and doing a proper test, I can't really say for sure.

19. C6H12O6

It definitely looks like dynamic range is intact. It doesn't even get close to hitting the wall, and it's not a compressed waveform lowered in volume either because lots of varying peaks and valleys. So that Armed Forces 2020 remaster was never issued on a CD anywhere?

20. InStepWithTheStars

It wasn't, but lossless (16-bit/44.1 kHz) audio is available for download. Here it is on Qobuz US for about $40 once tax is accounted for: Album Armed Forces, Elvis Costello | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality I can't afford this right now, but I definitely want to buy it.

I've read that the "hi-res" version has a more dynamically compressed mastering, but I haven't been able to find one. The only hi-res download that I can find is the Rhino remaster – maybe that's what they meant.

I shouldn't get my hopes up, but if there's a (presumably?) Ryan Smith-helmed remaster campaign for his classic albums... :drool: :goodie:

21. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

In the CD booklet, Greg Calbi is credited with the mastering, “Supervised” by Steve Berkowitz. As posted above, Ryan Smith cut the lacquers.

22. InStepWithTheStars

Thanks for clearing that up! I like Greg Calbi's work a lot when he doesn't use the compressor. The production of these albums makes them difficult to master, but the Qobuz samples of this one suggest that he's done a great job. I've ordered the CD, but it probably won't be here until next week.

23. dmcnelly

dmcnelly Grammy Award Loser

Oi, I'm about to buy a sixth copy of This Year's Model, aren't I?

TimeWarper, HarvG, mikeyt and 5 others like this.
  24. InStepWithTheStars

Only six? What, did you just discover this album? :nyah:

25. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Jewel case or digipack?