Elvis Costello & The Imposters new album: The Boy Named If

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Oct 27, 2021.

1. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

Ok, sorry to all the Wise Up Ghost fans, i do admit its not an album i've played a lot mainly because it just didn't grab me, however i do recall the last time i played it i came away having a better view of it. It isn't bottom of my overall list but i think it would be in the bottom 5. Even so i still like portions of any EC album near the bottom of my list....he's that great an artist in my mind.
    Looking forward to peoples views on the new songs, from all i've seen on the net it seems people really like it.

Ryan Lux and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  2. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

I agree! The vinyl edition sounds amazing

3. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I don't think I totally buy that. It would explain the effect at the moment, but surely Elvis hears it when listening to later playback of the performance. If he didn't like or intend the effect I would think he would compensate for it during later performances. If he's been doing it for some time I have to conclude that he means for it to sound that way. I would assume it's the "crooner effect", where they freely float over the beat - it's something that I like in moderated doses but can get annoying when over-done.

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I have a theory that when singers start struggling more with pitch (which Elvis has been for at least five years) they become more hesitant and their phrasing suffers. Maybe it feels safer to kind of back into notes instead of attacking them. I noticed Paul Simon also falling more and more behind the beat as his voice got shakier.

dee likes this.
  5. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

Just rushed out to pick up the two-LP Boy Named If on black vinyl at my local. The pressing is flat and quiet and bears Chris Bellman's initials in the deadwax even though his name is not in the gatefold credits. It sounds great, capturing the intimacy of the quirky production (the Imposters recorded their parts in separate studios) and the urgency of the harder-rocking Pete Thomas-propelled arrangements.

I'm really digging this one - it harkens back to his "classic" era but builds upon it rather than trying to recreate it. Favorite tracks right now are "My Most Beautiful Mistake" featuring the marvelous Nicole Atkins, "Mistook Me For a Friend," the gorgeous "Paint the Red Rose Blue" and "Trick Out the Truth."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  6. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

“CB” in the deadwax is a good sign, indeed!

7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Aw man, I hate hearing that. Even if the record is good, it's just a bummer mental image.

8. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I’ve only heard bits and pieces. I’m waiting on my Japanese edition CD to arrive as it has an obscure Nick Lowe b-side on it but what I’ve heard has totally knocked me out. I must admit I’m not very objective, I’m an Elvis fan boy. And yes I happen to think Wise Up Ghost is fantastic.

Isitquiex and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  9. dee

dee Senior Member

That was a reply to the question about folks hearing EC in concert, in which live performance has 'everything' to do with 'the effect at the moment' - that's what afaik a concert performance is. That was the context - that, vs. studio EC. The complaints or just observations were not about his timing in the studio as much as in too many concerts accordingly. Of course you don't have to buy the reasons I offered but fwiw they make sense and I know a little from personal experience, etc, no different than anyone else here, about it. Sure I could be entirely mistaken, not the first or last time, but I'm not entirely sure he can compensate for it consistently, onstage, strictly regarding the subject - you would have to slow the tempos down of more of the songs that require more words in less beats - more of the rock and roll kind of stuff, to compensate.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

That's an interesting, good theory, imo.

With EC though, I'm not sure. He's still attacking notes imo and Paul Simon never could project his voice nearly as loudly or boldly as EC, imo, and never vocsally attacked anything ;). Art did that ;). Fwiw I think EC is too much a practictioner also to not be practicing pitch control even now, but I might be mistaken about that.

Fwiw I think EC can still oversing and overemote to this day, in studio, which ironically, is impressive. Fwiw, with so many different kinds of musical styles and demands his ambitious and varied songwriting puts on his voice, I would expect pitch problems throughout his concerts.

Anyway, I like your theory.

11. dee

dee Senior Member

I do hear you about intent and about singers singing behind the beat on purpose, etc.

12. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

The new album is fantastic. I new a few more spins, but as of now I’d rate it his best since Blood & Chocolate, which is pretty remarkable. I’d stopped hoping for that.

13. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

You misunderstand me. I assume that Elvis sometimes listens to recordings of his live performances. He's been singing behind the beat for long enough that surely he has heard himself do it, and if he doesn't like the effect he has had plenty of time to compensate. That he hasn't implies to me that it's intentional.

twicks likes this.
  14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

He just performed on Graham Norton’s show.

15. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

16. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

I can only imagine the cretins who watch has been Graham Norton . Not funny 30 years ago and his camp routine has not got any better over the years .
    Have to wonder what is going on with Elvis ...........Three fairly good tracks while the others sound like outtakes from any of his last 10 records .
    Elvis needs to have a few words with his publicist and management team or does he really think that it is still the 1980s and he is going to get away with subpar performances

17. sbeaupre

Breaking news, some guy with 6 followers has recommended Elvis “Give it up.” We can only hope Elvis doesn’t take that to heart and decide to retire. Time will tell.

Mr. Explorer, Koabac, omikron and 4 others like this.
  18. sbeaupre

But wait, there’s more. Another member of the Twitter cognoscenti (27 loyal followers) has weighed in with “Elvis, please stop for your own divinity.” That’s quite a fall from grace.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Koabac and dee like this.
  19. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Listened today through Amazon Music and am blown away at how good this is. Picking up the CD tomorrow.

20. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Anyone have any idea if a different master may show up somewhere? Either vinyl or hi-res. Sounds like a great album song-wise but he tends to crush his rock records.

Mooserfan and Michael Macrone like this.
  21. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

My copy of the LP sounds nice. “CB” in the deadwax but the credits say “Mastered by Brian Lucey at Magic Garden Mastering in Los Angeles.”

dee and Ryan Lux like this.
  22. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I was looking for a listing for an LP pressing from Japan, curious if it might also have the bonus track. Didn’t find one.

23. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Hmm could be a different mastering?

Thesmellofvinyl and dee like this.
  24. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

Breaking news, to trend on Twitter you need more than 1 guy with 6 followers to be talking about you. I only used 1 as an example.

sbeaupre likes this.
  25. dee

dee Senior Member

Last post from me about this topic, but I don't think I misunderstood that part of your post - I didn't address it because with the amount of concerts EC usually does, and travel, and him having a life, I would be shocked if he spends any time listening to recent performances of concerts he performs, during an ongoing tour, or even afterwards. I did wrongly assume that part of the post couldn't be about him listening to his own most recent concerts with any regularity. As far as intent vs. necessity, there's probably some of both, imo fwiw, I side with the latter - anything else about the topic from my point of view previously mentioned fwiw.

Onto A Boy Named If today. CD for me for now.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022