Elvis Costello & The Imposters new album: The Boy Named If

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have high hopes based on the track he sang ' Paint The Red Rose Blue'. I thought it was a song from the 90s at first. Return to form? Amazon have put back the release to at least the 26th Jan.

Porkpie likes this.
  2. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

I didn’t mean to suggest that you were overstating the reaction. Sorry about that. Clearly there were many displeased Graham Norton viewers. It’s also possible it was a shaky performance. I was mostly referring to the commentary, and to a greater extent Twitter, where it’s just as easy to find flat-earth bots promoting the efficacy of drinking your own urine to cure disease. The topic aside, it’s always going to be a funhouse version of reality.

Mr. Explorer, John Hatter and twicks like this.
  3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I was looking for the performance on YouTube and came up empty, although I did find plenty of naysayers. Clearly *something* happened.

sbeaupre likes this.
  4. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

Odd that Bellman gets a separate lacquer cutting credit on the sleeve of Look Now but that line is left off the gatefold credits for this one.

I just checked my eclipse-colored pressing of Hey Clockface and sure enough, I see Bellman's initials in the deadwax but there's no lacquer callout in the gatefold for that one either.

Side note: I recently went back and played 2008's Momofuku for the first time in ages and realized that the tiny back cover credits read "Vinyl mastering by Kevin Gray" - no wonder it sounds awesome!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Wow, does this mutha rock. If the first track doesn't convince you, don't bother.(it kinda reminds me of Tear Off Your Own Head)
    The title track has some Waits-influences, most notably in the percussion.
    As some said above, it seems like he has written some very strong melodies, I can't agree more.(Mr. Crescent)
    Mistook Me for a Friend has that same rushed urgent wordplay of Pump It Up

Songs are horribly brickwalled, hope the vinyl is different

6. ericscho

ericscho Forum Resident

He was on BBC's saturday's kitchen this morning. He was quite funny. And criticized one of the chef's food :agree:.

Love the new album btw. I got the cd incoming, so far been listening to it a few times on Qobuz. Gets better every time !

7. dee

dee Senior Member

Not a dealbreaker for me if the EQ is 'nice' but I was afraid of that and its certainly seems less than ideal for the cd audio then...

8. dee

dee Senior Member

CD supposed to arrive today...
    Gee I hope I don't have to wait two more weeks if it was pre-ordered.

9. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

If anyone is in front of their computers right now, Elvis is hosting a live Pirate Radio show on YouTube!

LandHorses and dee like this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

I hope he's dressesd accordingly...

mrjinks, Mr. D and The Panda like this.
  11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Likely only the vinyl that is delayed.

12. INSW

INSW Senior Member

What exactly is going to happen to him if he gives a subpar performance?

georgwithoutane and Markab like this.
  13. dee

dee Senior Member

Ah, ok, thank you for replying.

14. dee

dee Senior Member

They'll pin him to the song wheel and spin him around?

15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

I came in late..........hope it's left up for awhile when over so I can hear the beginning.

Currently playing the title song. Love it.
    He premiered it at the Long Island concert I saw last October. Haven't heard it since until now.

Isitquiex likes this.
  16. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

He seems to be having a good time. Coolest thing he's played so far is the debut of his new studio version of Nick Lowe's "Truth Drug" that other fans here have noted apparently will be on the Japanese CD - sounds great!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    dee and DeeThomaz like this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Thanks for that post. Now I can wait for that version..just had Nick's Wilderness Years in the car this week!!

DeeThomaz, dee and Isitquiex like this.
  18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

Yes.............."Truth Drug" is where I came in. I have the Japan CD on pre-order.

Isitquiex likes this.
  19. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

My favorite track on the record.

My vinyl copy arrived yesterday.

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Is there a way of checking out the book without buying it? (It's sold out anyway.) I don't think it's something I'd want to keep, but I'm curious what EC came up with in terms of illustrated introductions to each song.

21. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

FWIW, I guess some people have already received that signed book. 10" square with a generic "this book belongs to" bookplate bearing the signature and number, which is kind of funny. The bookplate apparently has some adhesive in the center that may not be enough as the bookplate comes off easily. The CD is in a pocket in the last page.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mr. Explorer and swedwards1960 like this.
  22. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

Pretty nice signature!!

All I got was a perfunctory squiggle when I ambushed him by his tour bus after a show….

23. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

Listening for the first time now.

It’s the first modern era album where the compression has bothered me. The songs definitely feel a bit buried under the mix. I can see why people are referencing Blood and Chocolate - it’s definitely pretty rock oriented.

Obviously will need a few spins, but I’m not super engaged right now. More than happy to eat my words later - many of my favourite records took many spins before I dug them. And I’m only halfway through.

As an aside, I’m genuinely flabbergasted at the number of comments dismissing his las5 25 years of output. I regard EC as having one of the longest, strongest ‘late period’ outputs of any artist. Right up there with Laughing Len, Tom Waits etc.

When I Was Cruel, Secret, Profane, National Ransom and Wise Up are amongst my most listened to Elvis records. Then again, so are Spike and Mighty Like A Rose. So maybe I’m atypical. Ranking records is a fools game, anyway. Especially when the artists catalog is as varied as Elvis.

The Boy Named If is growing on me now though. Up to Beautiful Mistake, which is a great song. Reminds me of Telescope with Aimee Mann in feel.

24. dee

dee Senior Member

The cd booklet as well has a mastering credit for Brian Lucey.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  25. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

I'm not a 21st-century E.C. completist, but for me this is the most consistent/enjoyable top to bottom from this period. When I Was Cruel may have had one or two higher highs, but this is an immediate keeper. I wrote a review, and/but my favorite song at the moment:

Speaking of the ravages of time and the doubt it invites, “What If I Can’t Give You Anything But Love” brings swagger in ¾ time, a deliciously dirty Wurlitzer, and tough, insistent electric guitar lines. Strong vocals and a gnarly guitar break.