Elvis Costello - Trust

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by al05, Apr 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al05

al05 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Just putting this out there out of complete curiosity. Does anyone know why the 2007 Hip-O Trust reissue is basically discontinued everywhere? I find it confusing considering every other release from that line is still there but Trust is just gone.

tug_of_war, Sean and CharlieClown like this.
  2. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

Brilliant album.

But apparently commercially not very interesting for the record company if they let it go out of print.

Those 2007 Hip-O discs contain the same transfers as the earlier US Rhino/UK Edsel releases. All mastered by Dan Hersch.

For those who are not fans of his mastering style I suggest trying the old 1986 IMP Fiend CD 30.

3. CharlieClown

CharlieClown Forum Resident

It doesn’t even crop up in Used condition - I’ve had it on a Discogs search list for 2+ years and not a single occurrence in that time.

al05 likes this.
  4. al05

I only ever saw it appear once on eBay sealed for a ridiculous price, so I wasn’t going to pay for it. The only other edition I’ve ever seen being sold is the 86 version strippies suggested, which is a shame because I like the 2007 presentation

CharlieClown likes this.
  5. CharlieClown

CharlieClown Forum Resident

Yep...I have the rest of the Hip-O series so would be good to acquire for no other reason than completeness.

al05 likes this.
  6. al05

Same here, I’ll probably just have to go for the 86 one. I already get ripped off with most McCartney reissues anyways. Paying upwards of £10 for packaging that’s as flimsy as paper, so I’m not trying to go out and get what seems to be the only version of Trust still left alive

CharlieClown likes this.
  7. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

There's also the 1994 US Rykodisc/UK Demon with 9 bonus tracks and there exist two different digital masters of the US Columbia CK 37051, one of which resembles the IMP Fiend.

8. al05

Thanks for this, at least I know I’ve got some options on which ones to pick up

strippies likes this.
  9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Not sure why this one was a commercial flop. I rate it highly right behind his first three. I saw it as a return to form, but it was widely seen as just a place holding album.

10. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

Trust has some good songs but it doesnt hang together well, no human could keep up the quality of the first 4 albums forever.

JoeF., chickendinna, Bungo and 2 others like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I wouldn't call "Trust" a "commercial flop". Yes, it sold less well in the US than the prior 2, but it cracked the top 30, which isn't terrible by EC's chart standards.

It also cracked the top 10 in the UK.

"Trust" was EC's 1st album to not boast a hit single in the UK, though, as "Clubland" peaked at a mere #60.

Crazily - to me, at least - "Good Year for the Roses" on "Almost Blue" got to #6 UK! It's his 3rd highest charting single ever there! :yikes:

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Good cross-over appeal with Roses, I expect a lot of 'normal' people bought it.

Looking at Wiki, and I don't know why I didn't know this, but New Lace Sleeves was not a single! I guess I assumed because there was that music video then it must have been a single.

13. Oatsdad

I guess. It's still weird that a country song and album did so well in the UK, whereas both album and single stiffed in the US!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I thought that was odd as well. I did find a used one in great condition last year at my favorite record store. Only paid about $5.00 for it. I have the Columbia CD as well. One of my favorites by Elvis.....easily in my top 5 of his.

al05 likes this.
  15. al05

Same with me, such a good album. Especially with the tough competition set by the first few attractions albums

Bill Diercks and DME1061 like this.
  16. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Trying to figure this out is why I joined the forum! I lucked out and found one (the Hip-O) very quickly. I got the Rhinos first thanks to a wonderful forum member who sold me all of the '80s albums for $90 total (insane deal, thanks again!!) but still finished the Hip-O collection later. OCD and all that. I like the packaging, but this isn't something to spend more than $15 on, trust me. :)

I have one of the two Columbias and I find it very bass heavy. Supposedly, the other one is even bassier. Not sure which correlates to the Demon CD. It's been a while since I listened to Elvis. Once I get back from my trip I should compare the discs I've got.

al05 likes this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I got the Ryko CD in the 90's. Guess it's fortunate for me I held on to it.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

"Trust" is a "grower" album. When I got into EC In 1984, I got all the prior albums (sans "AB") pretty close together in time, and though I liked it, "Trust" seemed inferior to... well, all of them except maybe "Punch".

Over the years, though, I've come to like it more and more. Of the 1977-84 run, I only prefer "Model" and "Bedroom" now...

19. dee

dee Senior Member

Trust is imo Costello's 1st album whereby a smattering of styles would coalesce, or not, on the same album. When I think of the styles and sounds of his first four albums, every one of those are by and large very cohesive. Interestingly he even follows Trust up with another sort of singular direction of an album in the c/w themed Almost Blue record. Perhaps Trust is his first 'everything goes' and 'all-in helter-skelter' album, especially Side 2. Side 1 holds together solidly and flexes its muscles imo with mostly a gritty, melodic, tough veneer, featuring some hard-hitting songs and sounds, but ones to hum and sing to all the same. Side 2 is a bit all over the place stylistically. Trust is always hovering at the edge of #10 in my favorite 10 EC records. Ten being quite the arbitrary # for any list of my favorite EC albums.

srsch, Lewisboogie and Marc Perman like this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I've never understood why trust is considered a lesser album in the early Costello run. I think it's excellent and only a smidge below the classic lmperial Bedroom.

21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I agree, it’s fantastic.

And the old Columbia CD is... not good. At all. Go for the Demon, it is MILES better.

Burningfool and UncleHalsey like this.
  22. KUJayhawk

KUJayhawk Forum Resident

After the first three Attractions albums, this one loses a little bit of steam. Some of the songs sound a little forced, but there are some real gems such as Watch Your Step and New Lace Sleeves. Still a pretty enjoyable listen and definitely slays Punch The Clock or Goodbye Cruel World.

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Imo Trust is the best thing he ever did. The songs are spot on, the playing immaculate. Out of the first 5 my favorite but they all rate.

24. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Trust is an incredibly good album. I was lucky enough to see the band on the Trust tour with Squeeze. Show opened with EC alone on stage singing "Shot With His Own Gun". But I digress...

I rank it thusly:
    1. This Year's Model
    2. Get Happy
    3. Trust
    4. My Aim Is True
    5. Armed Forces
    6. King Of America
    Etc.

ConnieGuitar, tug_of_war and linklinc like this.
  25. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Yeah it was a really good album, I put it behind his first three too. The last Elvis Costello album I really liked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.