ELVIS on SUN, Feb. 1955: "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone." The origin of Creedence licks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I found this at a library sale or flea mkt. or someplace out in the wilds. It's in a treasured place now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Here come the copyright lawyers.

3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Oh yell heah.

4. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Baby, Let's Play House - The Freshest, Newest Voice in Country Music!

Love it!

What a molten-hot meteor he was.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  5. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I could look it up easy enough, but for the fun of it, who wrote "I'm Left ..."? Sounds like a corny old Nashville factory number. Have always loved the title. I have the Elvis Sun Sessions album but I don't listen to it often. Have listened to Dave Edmunds do "Baby Let's Play House" many times. It's easy to tell how much he enjoys it. Anyone who likes this music and hasn't heard Edmunds' version should give it a listen. It's on the album Twangin'.

mgb70 and Celebrated Summer like this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Interesting. Is this an album with just the original Elvis recordings or some instrumental re-recordings?

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Instrumental re-recordings done circa 1964.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Cool. Thought so.^^

9. According to the Songfacts.com entry for the song:

This was written by Bill Taylor and Stan Kesler, who were part of a group called the Snearly Ranch Boys, which recorded for Elvis' label, Sun Records. The melody for the song was lifted by a jingle for Campbell's soup. The head of Sun, Sam Phillips, arranged for Elvis to record the tune, and brought in a drummer named Jimmie Lott to play on it, augmenting Elvis' regulars: guitarist Scotty Moore and bassist Bill Black.”

Cue the “The More You Know” music... ;)

snepts, Steve Litos and andrewskyDE like this.
  10. I have the Boppin' Bob mastered, "The Sun Collection" 1979 lp with the dry mixes, no added reverb, Superb.

When you're first, all follow you.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  11. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

In his book "Mystery Train," Greil Marcus makes the observatio
    Edmunds used period instruments for his version too. I remember reading in a Creem magazine interview circa 1981 him saying that when they recorded it, the bass player wasn't used to playing an upright so he had bloody fingers by the end of the session.

He also mentioned that it was an old recording. It had been recorded about ten years prior to Twangin'... I mention this in case anyone thought Nick Lowe was the bloody-fingered bass player in question -- he's not.

12. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Absolutely...

The whole Green River LP was/is Elvis Sun sides without the innocence

13. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Fogerty was also a big fan of another Elvis guitarist... James Burton. Although it was Burton's work with Ricky Nelson and Dale Hawkins that Fogerty was drawn to.

RSteven, Shambolicus, mgb70 and 2 others like this.
  14. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Uh...well...yeah, especially for me since I'm several months away from turning 60 this is the first I've heard of these two songs by Elvis and of Scotty Moore's playing.

Who wrote the original lyrics of "Baby Let's Play House"? Was he a latent wife beater? I mean singing about basically "If I can't have you girl, no body else will, so I'll just do you in" syndrome is not what I'ld think Elvis would want to sing about.

Is there anywhere in You Ain't Nothing But A Hound Dog Elvis sings he hopes the dog is rabid and gets put down? I don't think so.

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! Long Live (if you survive) Rock n Roll! Maybe those kind of threatening lyrics were the cause for the push back from the conservative religious folks back then. The music of the devil and all that crap! GEEZ! Maybe these guys had a valid point. We all know they could hear the lyrics back then, not like it is today even with rap.

15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

It's Blues. Lots of Blues songs talk about real life, not just love love love. Songs like "Your Funeral, My Trial", "I'm Gonna Murder My Baby", "Commit a Crime".

The original version, just two years prior:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    905, Purple Jim, anth67 and 5 others like this.
  16. When someone sings it, they’re singing lines from a fictional character, like an actor who plays the role of a murderer. Geez, just because someone sings a song doesn’t make it autobiographical.

17. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

James Burton's solo on Nelson's "Fools Rush In" (at 1:10 in the below video) is possibly my favorite rock'n'roll guitar solo of all time. Brilliantly composed and articulated. Lifts the song to a whole new level. It's almost like a mini song-within-a-song.

I hear future echoes of this in Fogerty's playing, but Burton was definitely in a class of his own. This solo left such an impression on me that I actually remember where I was when I first heard it: Driving south on Route 1 in the spring of 1989 going to get burgers at Little Tavern* in my old Dodge Charger!

* This was a burger chain in the Maryland-DC area, not actually a tavern.

McLover, billh, artfromtex and 3 others like this.
  18. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

So true. :righton:

19. Tim Lookingbill

I get your point that these were songs written by the true life experiences of African Americans which makes sense FOR THEM as a catharsis. But still Elvis did have a wide selection of songs to choose to cover. All of this Blues music is new to me anyway. I wonder if Elvis was still alive today if he'ld had done a cover of gangster rap. Something tells me no.

20. Tim Lookingbill

Scotty Moore's style of playing reminds me of the minimalist rhythmic note noodling technique Steve Cropper demonstrated with Booker T. and the MG's. Wonder if Scotty influenced Steve.

I remember my dad doing a couple of these kind of simple sounding twangy riffs which sounded more like what I heard on "Hot Rod Lincoln".

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I actually had breakfast with James Burton once and he had his Tele with him. He opened it and played that solo for us over eggs, no amp or anything. Hal Blaine was there, as Stan Ross and Larry Levine, the two famous Gold Star Studio engineers. It was amazing. Coach John Wooden was there with us as well. Oh, and the movie composer ("Laura") David Raskin. This must have been 2001 or so.

A good breakfast that was. There is a pic of this somewhere..

22. Tim Lookingbill

I'm going to answer this myself because a little bird told me...REVERB IS THE CULPRIT! When it's dry one can hear the lyrics better.

23. Steve Hoffman

What the hell is with that fake added echo???

samthesham likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

The boys, getting ready for the Milton Berle Show in 1956. Great pic of Baby Scotty.

Elvis and scotty moore milton berle show 1956.jpg

Purple Jim, AFOS, CBackley and 7 others like this.
  25. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I'd never heard that before. Nice song, but the solo is superb.

Play it, James.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.