ELVIS PRESLEY "Elvis Is Back" DCC question for Steve...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ClausH, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve,

I would like to know if you had access to the original master tapes for this release and if any remixing was necessary.

The album was released by BMG's collector's label a couple of years ago and it is rumored that they had to use a tape copy because the original tapes are lost.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The original tapes are not lost. We used the original "dash one" two track stereo master to make the DCC LP and Gold CD. The three track tapes are also in the file but we didn't need (or want) to use them.

3. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I thought or dreamed you mixed the 3 track ..to sound close to original ...

4. Steve Hoffman

The two track IS the original. Why use anything else?:confused:

5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member Thread Starter

Thank you for clearing this up, Steve.

6. Steve Hoffman

Glad I could help.

7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I believe two tracks on the Elvis 24k CD were mixed from the 3-track... maybe that's what you are thinking or dreaming about?

8. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

No.. I dreamt Steve used the 3 track secretly to make it even better.

9. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

It was a Bill Porter discussion about stereo and I thought you made an off the cuff remark that you used the 3 track cause whatever... and of course made it (mix) to sound like original..PS...Not that it would be too hard to simply balance where the "mix" was concerned. Imo. Anyways..sorry and still BEST EIB version!

10. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Listening to this via Steve will stop you right in your rock and roll shoes.

11. Steve Hoffman

I mixed RETURN TO SENDER and (You're The) DEVIL IN DISGUISE from the Radio Recorders and RCA-Victor Nashville three tracks. Maybe that's what you are thinking of. I did that for the DCC "Elvis 24 Karat Hits" project.

12. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Not really..but thanks for replying to me! So "Elvis Is Back"
    3 track unmixed recordings have not been heard by the public at large?.....PS. Did not know about the 24 karat mixes you did!! Thanks a million from a true fan of yours!!:) PS. Claus?!...Thanks....

13. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

Steve, may I ask why you remixed those two songs? Were the two-track-masters in bad shape?

14. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

My gosh.....let me tell you, Steve's 24 Karat Hits on vinyl is simply amazing. This is some of the most incredible sounding vinyl in my collection. :righton:

15. Steve Hoffman

Yes.

16. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

Thanks.:thumbsup:

17. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Kool to know Elvis was in great hands (sound quality) for at least a Blue Moon...or two!

18. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, we tried!

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Slightly off topic, Steve, how were the early mono tapes used for the 24 Karat disc? Were they in good shape as well?

Evan

20. ognir rrats

ognir rrats Forum Resident

Steve- You added takes 2 & 3 and the intro to take 4 of "Such A Night" to the DCC Elvis Is Back! My question is why (not that I'm complaining) that song in particular? Take 5 is the master, did you use the original master and mix of that song for the DCC?

21. Steve Hoffman

I used that extra bit because it was already released (on an old Elvis LP) and if I had used anything else we would have been sued or something.

One more time (except that outtake bit which was a 15 ips stereo tape copy) the original stereo masters were used on that album for every song!

22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I have a quick question about "Return To Sender" if that's OK......

I've never heard a good sounding version of the original stereo mix. Does the master really sound as "pinched" as it sounds on all the reissues of the original mix or is the master long gone and what I am hearing on those re-issues is just a bad copy tape?

23. ognir rrats

ognir rrats Forum Resident

Thanks Steve!

24. Steve Hoffman

Pinched? That's just the sound of Radio Recorders.

25. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I would not have minded if you had not! Cause 3 tracks in your hands from a session where the original stereo mix was (as far as I know) fixed..balance etc.. would,should have yielded better results ...resolution one generation earlier... and your WARMTH. Thanks again SH for this excellent release!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.