Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Regarding the upcoming December '75 release, the hybrid of the December 6th shows are the only new things in SB sound, correct?

melstapler likes this.
  2. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

As you know, the FTD use of the word "classic" is to denote an album released in his lifetime, not a comment on it's musical merit.

artfromtex, johnny q and hodgo like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

So i was listening to the First Disc of the Viva Las Vegas 3 disc set ... It strikes me that the album they have made out of those songs is bloody good and I still find it a little weird that it never eventuated back in the day

4. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

That's right Phil, which is why I wanted to make a distinction in order to avoid confusion when I use the words classic album.

Phil D likes this.
  5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Absolutely! especially when you consider some of the crap that RCA actually put out at that time.

6. mark winstanley

It is kind of mind blowing.
    I almost didn't get it because of the price, but I'm so glad I did.
    It is my first venture into the FTD's and I like their EP size packaging, although it makes it a little difficult to organise when it doesn't match anything else lol...

If anyone has been considering getting it, I highly recommend it. There is obviously the single version which is easier to get.

laf848, RSteven and hodgo like this.
  7. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Believe me, when you have all or most of them, organizing isn't an issue, they need a few shelves all of their own! Regarding the 7" format, FTD was inspired by an archive Cliff Richard release packaged this way back in the 90's.

8. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I'll admit, it is a slightly contradictory term when applied to some of the soundtracks!

hodgo likes this.
  9. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

It says everything about RCA and the Elvis management that two of his best films, JR and VLV were denied a full album release while most of the sub par mid sixties soundtracks got the 12" treatment.

Hep Alien, Pants Party, hodgo and 2 others like this.
  10. mark winstanley

Between the record company and col. Tom it's an amazing testimony to how good Elvis was that any of us even care about these albums.

11. endofanera

endofanera Forum Resident

Wow! thanks very much for the suggestions to focus my priorities on, guys! Super helpful. These will definitely be useful in natvigating me safely through the choppy waters of Elvis releases :) And thanks to Graham for the new long list to look through too. I'll be busy chasing releases for a while yet then....such a lot to look forward to!

Hep Alien and hodgo like this.
  12. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Because the Colonel would rather shortchange his own artist than help promote another artist he had no financial interest in (Ann Margret).

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yes, obviously the logical thing to do would have been to release a soundtrack album with all the songs from the film, including the two Ann-Margret solos. But even if the Colonel's pathological mismanagement prevented that, it's puzzling that they did not release an Elvis-only soundtrack album, as they had enough songs to do that.

14. artfromtex

I also think "You're The Boss" should have been a single. That is a killer duet by two major stars in their physical prime. I think it would have been at least a top 10 hit.

I think the Colonel just wanted to move on to the next project. He didn't want to accentuate the magic of putting Elvis with a real co-star. Having Elvis work other major stars means dealing with their management. It also would give Elvis an opportunity to compare notes with other stars about their respective management. The Colonel could not allow that. So, hello Shelley Fabares.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  15. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Hey now! I like Shelley!

artfromtex likes this.
  16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I've come to believe that the Colonel, RCA or whomever, simply did not see "the LP" as the ultimate format for rock n' roll. I suppose, to them, it was the single. That's what you promoted. That's what got played on the radio. That's what sold. That's the nugget. The gold. The diamond.

LPs were like sit down restaurants, not the fast-food, drive-thru stuff "teens" wanted. And maybe that's a valid point. "Why bury ten great songs on an LP?" is perhaps how they saw it. They knew they couldn't charge menu-prices for "Queenie Wahine" -- so package it. Package it like Wall Street does with all them junk mortgages and sell it for a premium.

I don't know if that fully explains Jailhouse Rock and Viva Las Vegas. But maybe it does.

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

I can see that.
    I just figure, from a business perspective, if albums were selling a lot, and now they are selling less, what has changed?
    No singles and no promotion for this album. That's a pretty big change.
    Blue hawaii had a movie to sell it, and had singles released.
    Either bad management, or manipulatively boxing the artist where you want him.

hodgo likes this.
  18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Viva Las Vegas is definitely a missed opportunity, but the only song that was left off the Jailhouse Rock EP was Treat Me Nice. I don't think RCA had five or six studio tracks like they had with the Loving You lp.

Hep Alien, hodgo and mark winstanley like this.
  19. artfromtex

I do too. I didn't mean that as an insult to her. But, she and her representation were safe to work with. People of Ann's stature were on another level and Elvis might get the sense that he's working with a guy who puts the quick buck ahead of long term goals or anything of an artistic nature. You know, the two things cutting a hole in Elvis' soul about this time.

hodgo likes this.
  20. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Re: not putting some soundtracks out on LP because they were too short, I wonder why RCA/The Colonel didn't issue some as "two-fers." Apparently they scheduled sessions to fill out what because the Pot Luck album because Kid Galahad and Follow That Dream didn't have enough songs for individual albums. But why not issue an album with Follow That Dream on one side and Kid Galahad on the other? You'd have a very nice 11 track album (if they really wanted to make it 12 tracks, they could have used both versions of A Whistling Tune, or added one of the Flaming Star/Wild In The Country songs as a "bonus").

Hep Alien and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

Idk, a lot of decisions in the sixties leave me scratching my head. Thank goodness for FTD really. When the finances recover from the crippling last couple of months I can see a couple more on the horizon.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The new FTD titles are now in stock at the London Elvis shop and so no doubt Now Dig This will have them either now or very soon. Certainly in the UK it looks like we will get them prior to the holiday season. The titles are For Elvis Fans Only, Holiday Season In Vegas both on cd and the FTD vinyl Cafe Europa.

melstapler likes this.
  23. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Not forgetting "The Wild One" book.

24. Flaming Torch

Whoops forgot all about that one. Too expensive for me and I find some of the live audio from that era a hard listen. I am hoping the 2 cd releases arrive today or tomorrow. I will be interested in what folk think of For Elvis Fans Only. I have the Complete Masters and the RCA albums box but only own an oldish (70s) vinyl version.

JLGB likes this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Played disc 1 of For LP Fans only, nice selection of bonus tracks - Sun and radio. Have not compared it to the albums box set version.