Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

In hindsight, RCA should have multi-tracked every Vegas show and every on-the-road concert. I bet FTD today wishes that that had been the policy then. At the time I’m sure it was deemed an unnecessary expense. We’re lucky that so many shows were recorded.

2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Bono really has a way with words when it is something or someone he feels passionately about. His speech on Frank Sinatra at the Grammy Awards was the best speech I ever heard regarding Sinatra. It is worth checking out sometime.

Bono presents Frank Sinatra with GRAMMY Legend ... - GRAMMY.com

https://www.grammy.com/.../bono-presents-frank-sinatra-grammy-legend-award

U2 frontman Bono presents Frank Sinatra with the GRAMMY Legend Award at the 36th GRAMMY Awards on March 1, 1994 in New York.

Pants Party and Spencer R like this.
  3. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Not to threadcrap, but to see Frank practically weeping in front of thousands of people is a pretty humbling watch.

RSteven likes this.
  4. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I think it’s absolutely bizarre that there weren’t more live shows recorded on video. A real shame. But I guess it also adds to the mystique.

artfromtex, RSteven and Spencer R like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

As much maligned as Bono is by the media and the cool kids he is a great singer and performer and seems to be a pretty stand up guy, even if he does suffer a few of the fame trappings, they pretty much all do

Rick H. and RSteven like this.
  6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Good grief is that the FTD cd version? Unfortunately I only have the one copy. Like all FTDs a nice package. Hopefully they might redo it as a double cd one day but maybe not. Interesting discussion re Elvis and the Las Vegas years. I first heard the song "And I Love You So" via my parents musicassette of the Perry Como album in the 70s (might have been a single) a very MOR album with a cover of Tie a Yellow Ribbon (a big hit for another act in the UK) and a butchering (I think as am going from memory) of Help Me Make It Through The Night. Copies of the cassette came with a Perry Como jumper (ok I made that bit up).

RSteven and Mr. H like this.
  7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Yes, FTD. Attempting to plug some holes. I’ll keep my eyes peeled but one needs patience to catch good deals.

8. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Agreed and I buy every one of them (play them once and never look at them again!) . Apparently following the success of VLV, FTD plans to release more like this. I also hear there are no immediate plans to finish off the "classic albums" and release Madison Square and Aloha in the 7" format which is a pity.

Mr. H and Spencer R like this.
  9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Madison Square has been released in the 7” format as Prince From Another Planet. Or maybe it’s 8”, because, like The Searcher and Boy From Tupelo, it’s slightly bigger than the big FTDs. Still, while not technically an FTD release, it might as well be.

RSteven likes this.
  10. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Well it’s also had a big book release.

RSteven likes this.
  11. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I would absolutely love to see more like the recent VLV. Several older classic albums could use upgrades in sound and if they can justify it by adding more music we don’t have that’d be great.

Shawn likes this.
  12. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

It's not an FTD and certainly doesn't fit with the 7" classics. The whole point in wanting the remaining two is to have them in THAT format.

Pants Party and artfromtex like this.
  13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I bought the 3-disc VLV, and it’s great, but I wish they would give this treatment to more deserving albums such as Elvis Is Back and From Elvis In Memphis. We’ve hit the point in the exploitation of the Elvis catalog where all that’s left to do is to release ultimate editions of ever major album, on the model of the recent John Lennon Imagine box set. And RCA has already done this for some albums: there’s never going to be another Sun compilation better than A Boy From Tupelo, there’s never going to be a more complete ‘68 Comeback set than the newest one, etc. But it’s time to give this treatment to all of the core catalog albums. And then the final frontier, which I would support, would be definitive live sets for each year, on the model of the Dylan Live 1966 box. There was a recent 7-CD bootleg that compiled all of the circulating 1970 On Stage material. RCA understandably prefers to parcel that material out on individual releases such as Off-On Stage, but it’s time for them to put out Elvis Live 1970, Elvis Live 1971, etc.

Phil D and RSteven like this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It’s as thorough, comprehensive, and attractively packaged as an FTD release. As an obsessive compulsive music and Elvis collector, I agree it’s frustrating to have the 8” boxes like Boy From Tupelo, the 7” FTDs, and the standard 5” digipack CDs all on the shelf not being the same size, but oh well.

RSteven likes this.
  15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I wonder if there will be some incoming anniversary releases tied to some of the items you mention.

RSteven likes this.
  16. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

But NOT a 7" FTD, that as I said is the crucial point. I disagree about the packaging, the FTDs are of a higher quality. It puzzles me why they did this in the first place with MSG when an FTD was the obvious way to go.

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

RCA was not in the business of documenting concerts for the sake of doing so. They recording several concerts in August 1969, February 1970, and August 1970. By 1971, there had been two live albums and studio/live hybrid. Another in 1971 would have resulted in saturation (although it can certainly be argued there were already too many live projects in such a short period of time). There simply were not plans to record any shows in 1971.

As far as soundboards are concerned, tapes certainly exist from the 1971-1972 period, but Sony/RCA/FTD have access to very little.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am gonna guess that the sheer sales success of the original MSG release (Now 3 times platinum) as well as the relative later success of An Afternoon In The Garden (RIAA certified Gold) made Sony Music want to release this as a mainstream release on the Sony Legacy label due to the potential for wider sales.

Spencer R likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

It has been discussed on this thread on a number of occasions, but a FTD release of MSG will likely be inessential in terms of content. Both multitracked shows have been remixed and remastered, and separately, the original album has already been remastered by Anesini. What is FTD going to do, release another remix, perhaps coupled with the audience recording from the book project? Unless some rehearsals or a summer 1972 soundboard surfaces, it is unclear what FTD is going to conceiveably do with a MSG reissue.

20. PacificOceanBlue

Exactly. A MSG set via Sony not only had significantly more sales potential as a mainstream retail product, but it is an important catalogue title.

RSteven likes this.
  21. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I've been told it will be released by FTD just not yet. Why do some people just not get the fact that although it might be an inessential release, there are those that want it to complete the collection. For LP Fans Only amongst others falls into this category.

22. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Currently making my way through my just received "For LP Fans Only" FTD release. I gotta say, a very enjoyable experience so far (only on disc 1).

A couple of things that stuck out to me:

1) That's All Right master is the dry Sun single version, the RCA master does not feature (probably should have, with the Sun master featuring as a bonus track with the Sun outtakes overview).
    2) You're A Heartbreaker is sadly not as good as Elvis At Sun.
    3) I really like the "best of the radio performances" section. I've rarely played the Tupelo disc due to the repetition of songs, here the "one performance of each song" approach finds me a listening experience I will happily repeat.
    4) Nice to have the live "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" on CD (I did not bother with the Sony version of Tupelo since I have the FTD set).

Also picked up the new book "The Wild One '56", quick flick through, looks very nice. Looking forward to spending some decent time in it (also ordered up Rebel With A Cause, but not received yet).

23. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I was playing disc one of the For LP Fans Only FTD today too. Like you, I was really into the radio performances. Radio shows are sometimes the closest things to a time machine, and I was really falling into these today. Also the album masters sounded especially good. One of those days, I guess, where an album supplies what's needed.

Phil D likes this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. Any idea why where those soundboard tapes would have ended up? After a show who would have owned or had access to them (lots of folk might have had access) ? Given the growth in bootlegging by that point in rock history would the Elvis set up have been aware/concerned re possible bootlegs of his shows? Interesting stuff - I do not have much 71 live Elvis. I have the FTD and earlier boot versions. There is the Impossible Dream FTD from January 71 as well which is good (I think). As always Keith Flynn's site is excellent for info.

Spencer R likes this.
  25. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Did Bono write the speech though?