Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

OR, had an engineer as good as the Dead's Betty Cantor who captured soundboard recordings in stellar quality, rivaling the multitracks recorded and released by the band.

2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I would be very surprised if he didn't. If you read what he has written about Elvis in Rolling Stone Magazine his name is usually attached to the byline. The Sinatra speech has Bono's fingerprints all over it if you have ever listened to him talk about Elvis or Frank. I believe he even wrote a song for Frank once IIRC as he did for both Roy Orbison and Tom Jones.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Bono really is quite a thoughtful fellow .. and he may seem like a git to some people, but I believe he actually does care about things .... and I know that's terribly uncool these days but .... oh well

Rick H., BlueSpeedway, I333I and 3 others like this.
  4. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

Welcome to the club - I've been an on and off Elvis fan since I was young when my Mom made us all listen to him LOL. I was a teenager in the 70s and thought he was washed up and didn't see what the fuss was all about. As I got a little older and really focused on his incredible 50's stuff I finally got it. That's where I stood for a quite a while and had a great appreciation for the Sun stuff and the songs from 56-58. Since the documentary however, I've really enjoyed the 60s stuff a lot more, especially the 1960 tracks. I'd always enjoyed the Comeback special and the big hits of the 60s but those first few sessions after he got out of the Army are really great. One way to enjoy some of the FTD releases before you start laying out a ton of cash is to sample some of the stuff on YouTube.

This guy (who uploaded this video) in particular has a great sampling which has helped me decide on which ones that appealed to me

5. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Thoughtful as in, jets around the world in luxury while lecturing the rest of us on how to live our lives. I think you'll find he seems like a "git" to quite a lot of people.

6. mark winstanley

Is he supposed to swim?

7. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

:righton:

8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’m tired of Bono’s hypocrisy on certain subjects as well, but don’t doubt that his appreciation for Elvis and Sinatra is genuine and heartfelt.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  9. mark winstanley

I understand that, but I'm not going to judge his hypocrisy when I am aware of my own ... all of us tend to be hypocritical when it suits us :)

DirkM, Rick H., hodgo and 2 others like this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I do not want to derail this very fine thread that Mark has going or get into the forbidden zone of politics on this fine forum, so let me just say I do not agree with a lot of stuff Bono says from time to time, but I will say that most of the time he seems sincere, and he has reached across the partisan politics from time to time in order to get things done for humanitarian efforts. Has he irritated me on occasion? Most definitely he has, but in this current climate of anger and contempt, Bono seems like he is usually looking at the bigger picture.

mark winstanley and Spencer R like this.
  11. mark winstanley

Sorry, wasn't trying to be political ... I am not political ...

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

And, on the issue of the Elvis, in the quote from him I posted in this thread, Bono sees past the jumpsuit and “fat Elvis” stereotypes and gets the bigger picture that Vegas Elvis still had a lot to offer artistically.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh no I did not take it that way at all. I just felt like we were all on the verge of getting there sooner or later. I love this place because we can get away from the strife and contention and talk about something really important; music.

artfromtex and mark winstanley like this.
  14. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Are you saying that you also travel the world in a private jet dishing out advice on planetary pollution?

Dave Hoos likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

agreed

RSteven likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

No. You have got hold of the wrong of the stick. If you have never shown any hypocrisy in anything, then you are a unique human and can teach us much

RSteven likes this.
  17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Sorry @mark winstanley and @hodgo as I have been bouncing around on both of your fine threads this morning and lost place of where I was at the time.:shake:

Dave Hoos, hodgo and mark winstanley like this.
  18. mark winstanley

it confused me lol :)

RSteven likes this.
  19. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I'll get back to you.

20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Guys. I'm trying not to put my moderator hat on here so please lets quit the Bono back and forth and get back to our main man instead.

21. mark winstanley

Apologies, I wasn't trying to start something

hodgo likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

I'm so looking forward to these FTD's that are on there way ... I think some will arrive tomorrow :)

RSteven likes this.
  23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I'm waiting for 4 right now, not til Wednesday. This time around it's What Now My Love, Golden Records, Flaming Star, and King Creole. Aside from that a couple I picked up used that are on the way are Closing Night and Showtime Birmingham/Dallas.
    Plenty to listen to in the mean time, I just finished getting my whole Presley collection on an SD card for my Fiio. :cheers:

24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I like the Dallas and Birmingham shows (Showtime) - have them both on boot and it was good to see them get an FTD release. The 31st Dec 76 show is also great but only an audience tape. Still available from FTD.

Revelator and Mr. H like this.
  25. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I do have the NYE set already and I agree.