Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Speaking of great FTD sound quality, I recently ordered the Something for Everybody FTD based on a recommendation of RCA Studio B recordings Nashville from PacificOceanBlue. The studio performances and outtakes are phenomenal in both recording quality and performance. Elvis and the musicians are tight as a drum.

I also listened to the 'Elvis Greensboro' April 14 1972 CD. It’s a boot that came out in 2018 mixed from the original RCA multitracks. It sounds incredible - wide, dynamic stereo sound. Elvis and the band are powerful and on fire. Just the right amount of audience is mixed in. I played it loud last night and wow…chills…

2. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I also have the Greensboro show and I agree, it is excellent. However, it'll be interesting to see if your enthusiasm is met with the same negativity I receive from a couple of individuals whenever I have the audacity to mention public domain releases never mind bootlegs.

I333I likes this.
  3. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

There's not too many bassists I rate higher than Jerry Scheff. He's a phenomenal player.

RSteven, hodgo and Mr. H like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Closing Night 73
    What a bizarre disc. It starts of like a rock n roll concert and turns into a comedy festival.
    It is actually really funny, especially Fever.
    What is interesting to me, and I know you guys will have the answers.
    Is Elvis playing around because it's closing night?
    Is he high?
    Did post 72 Elvis just really enjoy having a laugh, instead of a sing?
    Is this part of his playing up because of the boredom folks talk about on here?

More importantly was it deleted because they thought after the fact that this may taint Elvis' reputation in some way.

Sorry to be all questions... it is just a really interesting disc.

RSteven and Spencer R like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Elvis is going off the rails during “Closing Night 73.” It is a culmination of pharmaceutical abuse and Elvis reaching his breaking point with Tom Parker and Las Vegas. After the closing show, Elvis and Parker came to blows with Elvis firing the Colonel. It lasts a few days with Parker delivering a final invoice for services rendered; Elvis, his father, and some of his Memphis Mafia inner circle discussing his options; and Elvis reluctantly rehiring Parker.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Cheers.
    There was obviously something going on, it's not just an odd joke its like he just can't focus.

7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I just received Elvis at American Sound Studio today. It was my first of the 7” FTD sets. Wow! What a beautiful release. I can see now why they get so much praise.

RSteven, hodgo, Mr. H and 4 others like this.
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

A++ in every way.

RSteven, CBackley, Dave Hoos and 2 others like this.
  9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Nope London for me. I think there were 2 Hammersmith shows. I am not sure of the lineup of the whole band - Glen D of course - who is on the albums and both Gram Parsons albums. I knew all those guys were great then but now they are pretty legendary. Then a few years later they both played with Costello (I'm a big fan of EC 1977 to 90). Back to Elvis and those musicians playing on his 70s albums certainly were key for me. I think very early on it was stated how Gram/Emmylou were using Elvis's backing band (sic)(not strictly true) and that certainly encouraged me to invest in the albums. Also that wonderful b side (She Thinks I Still Care) on the UK Moody Blue single which I had. If I recall correctly Moody Blue the single got a lot of airplay on radio 1 back then.

Mr. H likes this.
  10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I love the sound of the early 60s recordings Elvis's vocals (fantastic) and the backing musicians. Great sound on the recordings as well in my opinion.
    Re the recent Greensboro it is good but all the boots of those shows sound fine and of course we did get an official release of one of the shows which is still in print on Close Up(is that correct?). I am hopeful at some point all 4 of that bunch of 72 shows recorded on multitrack will see an official light of day. For now the official on on Close Up is probably all you need.

Re Jerry Scheff he played on Dylan's Street Legal and on the 78 tour from the spring on.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Mr. H and Dave Hoos like this.
  11. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

This is one of my favourite FTD releases of an album I consider to be an overlooked gem in the Elvis catalogue. This is probably because it followed the outstanding post army comeback release, Elvis is Back. To me this album, though not as raw and powerful, is every bit as good as it's predecessor, there's a maturity to Elvis singing that really suits the ballads on side one of the original LP tracks. Side two on the other hand rocks things up, the singing and musicianship are outstanding with Boots Randolph's sax solo's stealing the show.

12. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Were actual blows exchanged, or was it a case where they nearly came to blows?

13. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

This is the band we both saw. Spot James and Glen!

RSteven and Flaming Torch like this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

Figure of speech. A screaming match is more accurate, “You’re fired!,” “I Quit!”

15. Dave Hoos

Then, sadly, clutching defeat from the jaws of victory.

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

Yes, it was unfortunate that Elvis was incapable of seeing the firing through. Parker had a history of bluffing and making outrageous demands in business, and this particular dealing with Elvis was no different. Neither Elvis nor his father questioned the validity of Parker's final invoice for services rendered (consisting of unpaid and deferred commissions and other monies allegedly owed). They simply panicked at the alleged $2 million Parker claimed he was owed. While Elvis was not sophisticated in business dealings, it is somewhat astonishing that he did not contact his attorney Ed Hookstratten to discuss this dispute with Parker. Not only could Hookstratten and a subsequent manager have conceivably worked out some sort of settlement with Parker (which likely would have included a payment plan), but it is quite possible that Parker would have backed down had Elvis' legal team demanded an accounting of Parker's books because there is no way Parker was going to want the accounting of his operation exposed in a legal proceeding (his self-dealing; his side deals with studios, RCA, the Hilton; how all of the merchandising revenue was allocated; etc.).

Tord, hodgo, Mr. H and 4 others like this.
  17. Dave Hoos

It's one of the greatest tragedies in music history that Elvis didn't do exactly that; have somebody check Parker's books. How unbelievably sad it is that he had Elvis (and Vernon) completely bluffed.

Tord, hodgo and mark winstanley like this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

Elvis was not exactly of sound mind during that period as he succumbed to his pharmaceutical abuse (he almost died of an overdose just two months prior). He was likely in a state of heightened paranoia and anxiety. Vernon on the other hand was uneducated and unsophisticated, and was the last guy who should have been advising Elvis on critical matters. And to top it off, he was surrounded by self-serving, inexperienced Memphis Mafia sycophants. Ed Hookstratten or another entertainment attorney/executive could have cleanly resolved this issue for Elvis -- it might have cost Elvis something, but he finally could have severed ties with "the Colonel." Elvis took the bold step to remove Parker after years of frustration and resentment, but was incapable of following through. And on some level, he never recovered from it. He would be dead within four years.

graveyardboots, Tord, hodgo and 3 others like this.
  19. Dave Hoos

Yep. Can't argue with any of that, unfortunately.

hodgo and mark winstanley like this.
  20. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Had some nice weather today... so I felt like busting out some spring time E on this Friday night. For all my soundboard gluttony, I always enjoy this disc.

Dixieland Delight

[​IMG]

Spencer R, Shawn, Mr. H and 1 other person like this.
  21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I recently picked this one up. It’s quite enjoyable for mid-70’s soundboards.

Pants Party likes this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

It is interesting how we view things differently. I think “Dixieland Delight” is a terrible release. Elvis and his band are mailing it in. Elvis’ vocals are mostly flat, thin and nasally. The band is going through the motions in pedestrian fashion. Elvis may be in good spirits, but I do not think that results in good performances. I think the early summer/summer shows from 1975 are significantly overrated and a glimpse of what was to cone in 1976.

23. WelshChris

WelshChris Forum Resident

The TCB band also featured on Roy Orbison’s Black And White Night recordings. Well worth checking out.

Rick H., Tord, Dave Hoos and 3 others like this.
  24. Seemingly every time someone has something good to say about 70’s Elvis you come back with a negative. Don’t rain on everyone’s parade, all the time.

Anthony Aloysius, I333I and RSteven like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well, I so agree with your stellar analysis here as I too find this to be an "overlooked gem" in many ways. I also think it is under appreciated because of the iconic and powerful album that came before it. It reminds me a little of the way the Elvis Is Back album gets overlooked in favor of the stupendous From Elvis In Memphis album, which is a superior album by almost all measures, but still songs like Stranger In My Own Hometown, Without Love (There Is Nothing), and Do You Know Who I Am?, are among my very favorite Elvis cuts. Sometimes a very good or great album, simply gets overshadowed by a darn near perfect album. That is my take anyways.

hodgo and mark winstanley like this.