Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Until a track listing is revealed, it would seem the Legacy Edition will not have much to offer you because it sounds like the studio bonus content is undubbed masters rather than FJ's rough mix.

2. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I was referring to the original (undubbed) session mixes as they appeared on disc #2 of the 2005 FTD issue.

3. PacificOceanBlue

I hope that is what is released on this Legacy Edition. The FTD presentation of those recordings was pretty flat and lifeless; a proper remastering of those tracks would be a welcomed development.

ClausH, Shawn and GroovinGarrett like this.
  4. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

I also like the TODAY album and as Ernest stated a few years back,LEGACY was the way SONY wanted to re-issue EP"s catalogue to the public market.

Here is the list of out takes that could be used.

http://keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/750310.html

http://keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/750311.html

http://keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/750312.html

Putting out the shows from the SILVER BOX SET is for me lazy.There are a lot of soundboards from 75 to make up a "new" show ... http://keithflynn.com/essential_lists/concerts-1975.html

In fact scrap the live bit,and put out this disc/mix (CD 2 ) ... http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/christmastoday.html

5. Yes, dump the live stuff - what relevance has that got to Today anyway? What is the difference between "undubbed masters" with the original bass and "rough mixes" played to Elvis before he scrapped the bass player? They almost sound as though they're the same thing on paper.

6. PacificOceanBlue

To be honest, the lines seem to be a little blurry there. I guess we will know more once we see a final track listing. And I agree that the live disc is irrelevant here; additional outtake material from the sessions would be more compelling.

7. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It's probably the same. I think the rough mixes are going to be included. Elvis didn't like Bardwell's work, so he ordered it to be replaced. The only track that still has his playing on it is T-R-O-U-B-L-E, probably because it was rush-released as a single. Elvis' wasn't a fan of Bardwell. He made fun of him on stage. Not very classy.

mrstats and heatherly like this.
  8. Oh, I'm glad you said that as I was getting a little confused with the distinction between the two. I wonder how they're going to fit two versions of the album (if there is a complete "undubbed" version of the album?) and a live disc into a 2 disc set?

9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Probably the original album and rough mixes on disc 1 and the live show on disc 2. The show runs for 65 minutes and it's soundboard quality.

10. So ALL the rough mixes would fit with the original 40 minute album on one disc?

11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I think so. It's only 20 songs and I think the original album only runs for 35 minutes or so.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  12. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Yes the original album from memory runs a shade under 35 minutes, meaning the finished takes and undubbed masters will fit quite nicely on to a single disc.

13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I just made my first FTD purchase in nearly a year, thanks to a 20% code from ShopElvis I received in email.

I bought:

Flaming Star
    Elvis Christmas Album
    Elvis For Everyone
    (I only bought this because it seems to get high marks here - otherwise would not have given it a second look. Or a first look for that matter)

These were in the cart but I deleted at the last minute:

Return to Vegas
    - I think I have enough from 1969
    Elvis (2nd RCA) - The concert and "Rip it Up" outtakes just aren't enough to justify this, even with 20% off.
    Love Me Tender - If I'd have bought this, I think I would finally have all of the '50s masters done in remastered form. But I just couldn't go through with it.

hodgo likes this.
  14. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Mike,

"Elvis For Everyone" & "Elvis Christmas Album" are really nice releases with great sound you won't be disappointed.

I'm in complete agreement regarding the two highlighted,

The only reason I can see to buy "Elvis" would be "Rip It Up", this for me is a no no because that song is owned by Little Richard and I don't like Elvis version enough to fork out £20.

I feel the same way about "Love Me Tender" which doesn't contain Elvis strongest material, I'm happy enough with the Vince Caro mastered "Jailhouse Rock" which contains the whole LMT EP and some outtakes, also if I did want to go for the more modern mastering I'd buy the new cheaper version of "Young Man With A Big Beat"

MarkusGermany, Mr. H and MikeP5877 like this.
  15. Listened to Today again yesterday and I really like the finished masters. Yes, some are clearly better than others, obviously, but I think this is a very under-rated album overall. Why doesn't T.R.O.U.B.L.E get the same attention as Promised Land when it's a similar song in a fast rocking tempo? I prefer it to PL. Anyway, I don't think I need to hear the un-dubbed masters or alternative discarded bass line as decided by Elvis. I've got a great sounding CD of the album already, I have a few of the out-takes scattered around and I don't want a mediocre '75 soundboard so I'll pass on the Legacy reissue. I was hoping the live show might include several songs from the album which might have made some sense, otherwise why bother to include it? Apart from the aforementioned song, the set list looks to be identical to earlier tours that I already have covered. A bit disappointing but I'm sure I'll find something else to buy instead.

I don't find any of the overdubs intrusive or annoying. To my ears, the whole album is a pretty seamless whole and all the instrumentation works, even if to some ears the whole thing is a bit mid-70's sounding.

16. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Is the "choose a free gift when you pre order the bundle" offer still in effect? I cant find the link to get the american eagle blanket that I wanted and I was going to order today

17. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Which show/concert'75 could we possibly expect as a soundboard recording?

18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The show from the Silver Box.

I think this is some of it:

19. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Just got in my Live on stage in Memphis FTD an really like it ! Only downside are one or two instances where Elvis f****s up the lyrics but other than that I think it's a great concert CD. This would have made a great double album first time around.

20. PacificOceanBlue

I disagree. Producer Felton Jarvis cut most of the concert bloat from the original show and pared it down to a respectable single disc concert release that showcased a surprisingly focused, strong vocal performance by Elvis. The only noteworthy omission was Steamroller Blues, which was likely cut due to it being an Aloha showcase just a year before.

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Because it's not nearly as good a song? It's an ersatz Chuck Berry pastiche, as opposed to genuine Chuck. I think Today is rated just about where it should be. I consider it his best post-1972 album overall, but it's certainly no masterpiece. And it's so recent-covers-heavy it's a weird listen in some ways. They could have titled it Elvis Sings the Top Country Hits of 1974. In a way, hearing him parrot the recent hits of others is depressing, because it underscores that he generally couldn't get much good original material of his own.

PacificOceanBlue and heatherly like this.
  22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Say, what gives? ShopElvis don't like me no more?

Not that I really have anything I need to buy at the moment....but they could have tempted me!

JimC likes this.
  23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

They said they missed me....

24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

"T-R-O-U-B-L-E" is ersatz Chuck Berry pastiche? I always thought of it as honkey tonk piano more akin to Jerry Lee Lewis.

John Grimes, SteveM and heatherly like this.
  25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, despite the prominent piano in the song, it seems to me that musically it owes more to Chuck Berry than Jerry Lee, overall. Arrangement-wise, it's similar to Elvis's own recording of "Promised Land." At any rate, I guess my main point was that it's not nearly as good a song as "Promised Land."

mrstats likes this.