Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I suspect a lot of older Elvis fans will struggle with this movie. Baz flicks are so visually stylized and super manic ADHD that my mom for example cannot stand to watch them. Examples being Moulin Rouge and Australia, both of which she complained about how unwatchable they were even while she was interested in the actual story.

Revelator likes this.
  2. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Yup. The window to maximize the most out of those tapes have passed and gone for these collectors. And technically we're all going down with the ship, probably never going to hear any of these gems which is the biggest shame.

3. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

It was a smart move from Bruce Jackson's brother to hand over the Atlanta 76 tape (although it sound like a 5th generation copy), a condition to make it a combo-release with ''On The Road with Elvis'' wich sold poorly as a stand-alone release. And that's it. Don't expect another tape from the Jackson camp. Private collectors? It's a shame that these tapes will never see the light of day. It's not only soundboard tapes, but also studio-sessions, footage. As time goes by, this kind of material, the value will fade away, as the hard-core fanbase will die out.

Revelator, jeremylr, MRamble and 2 others like this.
  4. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

Regarding private collectors: It's known that a private collector has a July 1969 rehearsal tape recorded at RCA's studios in Hollyood. Among others, the tape contains a version of I Saw Her Standing There. Apparently, the sound is comparable to the July 1970 tapes that were also recoded at RCA Hollywood. Ernst tried to purchase the 1969 tape some time ago, but the deal fell through for financial reasons. A shame, really.

5. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Dear lord!

RSteven likes this.
  6. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

I hope these private collectors have had the sense to tell their heirs these tapes are rare and shouldn't be chucked in the bin when they kick the bucket.

7. londonflash

Tantalizing! I didn't know that the sound quality was apparently that good. Must have been so frustrating for Ernst but I imagine the asking price was exorbitant.

The value of the tapes in private hands drops every year. You really do wonder what will happen to them when the owners die.

8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks Keith Flynn's site does list some RCA rehearsal tapes from 1969 but I don't think any have been released either officially or otherwise. Do Sony have some of them? It would be fantastic to get some good sounding material from those times that have not been widely heard.

artfromtex, jeremylr and croquetlawns like this.
  9. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

A July 1975 soundboard is also not in possession of Sony. They have one tape from mid-July which is so badly damaged, a release isnt worth it. I assume tapes of July 1975 are in the hands of private collectors.

And the list goes on from certain era’s. Studio, rehearsals and concerts. What a waste that just a few or one person can enjoy this kind of material. Lets also not forget that a lot is erased.

jeremylr, johnny q and croquetlawns like this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

If they do something with On Tour, I hope it is like the That's The Way It Is bluray.
    Fixed video and audio, with any dice stuff up front or separate, and a pretty straight concert on there.

RSteven, artfromtex and croquetlawns like this.
  11. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

Someone over at FECC made a real nice edit of TTWII.
    A mix of footage of old and new edition of the movie combined.
    And adding stereo sound to footage previously only available in mono.
    A very nice 12gb file.

12. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Playing now in Chateau Hodgo is the FTD of an album that should have been released in 1972....

[​IMG]

Matthew, Lonesurf, frankfan1 and 14 others like this.
  13. londonflash

I played G.I. Blues (Vol 1) before the football.

For my mood right now, please refer to my profile picture. UTFT.

RSteven, Bucks, hodgo and 1 other person like this.
  14. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

According to the UK dealer Now Dig This:

Due to a manufacturing problem, FTD have announced that the ‘Pine Bluff’ CD has been delayed. They are now expecting to receive stocks on May 10th (so that means they won’t – you can add at least a week on to that), then they will start shipping out to dealers. Don’t expect it until early June.

Hope you guys can manage your anticipation until then... :D

15. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Although I have it on order, I can wait, indefinitely if I'm honest.

16. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Wow, that one's going for stupid money over at discogs :yikes:

Timjosephuk and croquetlawns like this.
  17. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

A nice faux-album by FTD. Essentially a reimagining of the Fool album that eventually came out in '73. Both records end up feeling like a disjointed quilt of miscellaneous tracks, which they are -- but I've always liked FTD's Standing Room Only more. Getting "Separate Ways" and "Always on My Mind" onto an album is key.

Shawn, prostx23, jeremylr and 6 others like this.
  18. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Presumably without eight other songs that already exist in the Presley catalogue, looking at you Mr. Camden 'Separate Ways'...

19. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Imagine being a 22 year old in '72. You're into the Stones, Zep, Sabbath, etc. You hear "Burning Love" on the radio and you really dig it. You go buy the album. You put it on and jam the first song. You leave the room to go take a crap, or answer the phone, and when you come back, freakin' "Guadalajara" is blaring out your speakers. Talk about a "WTF?" moment.

20. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I think that the 1999 Burning Love album was also a good attempt at the faux-album.

21. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

That's Tutt-Scheff either way you look at it.

22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I am one of those who has a strange nostalgic love for those Camden albums (they were cheap!). The Separate Ways album - what a stupendous cover (both of them).

23. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I really like the Almost in Love album!

24. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

"Almost in Love" was a great album! One of the first Elvis albums I owned (on Pickwick, though of course, it was the early '80's). Excellent choice and mix of songs that really held together as a cohesive project.

25. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

FTD has lived up to their standards. Again a misprint inside the cover, the latest release, Pine Bluff/Madison 76.

It must be said that the Pine Bluff concert is a treat. Soundwise and performance.

Shawn, jeremylr, johnny q and 2 others like this.