Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Footage from TTWII would be just awesome!

No interestat all about EOT: just a too much different person and artist compared to the 1954 - 1970 era.

Shawn and hodgo like this.
  2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I would love to see the 1972 rehearsal footage and the complete Hampton Roads concert. 1972 Elvis has always been a favorite of mine.

GillyT, Shawn, musicaner and 6 others like this.
  3. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

At this stage, I would be happy enough to just get the original Elvis On Tour, with the Johnny B. Goode opening on Blu-Ray. Here's hoping!

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I suspect the opening sequence will be reissued at some point here, intact in its natural presentation, after the outcry from a decade ago. That said, I am not that interested in another DVD/Blu-ray reissue, I would much rather see an expanded audio release issued.

Shawn, artfromtex, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I shall try and get the new Devil in Disguise set but yes I thought we had all this on the Memphis Tennessee FTD set. Still that set maybe out of print.

6. Flaming Torch

Thanks. Sorry why would the dog (Nipper) logo be out of bounds or is my question getting into uncomfortable territory. I can't think of anything offensive about it.

Re the whole lost album. Did anything like this track listing ever get considered for release prior to Elvis For Everyone?

7. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I'm thinking its absence from the covers of FTD vinyl and CD's of late is merely for copyright reasons, nothing offensive at all...
    As for your other question, I'm not sure...

8. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The only new takes are:

Love Me Tonight - take 7
    Ask Me (1964 version) - take 5

Both takes are false starts.

9. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

This ownership of the Nipper logo is not simple. In the US it's out of copyright so Sony would be free to use it for releases licensed for that territory only. For most of the rest of the world the copyright is owned by JVC Kenwood Corp, presumably Sony/FTD (European Territory) don't want to pay a licensing fee, alternatively JVC aren't prepared to license it.

10. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Well, shoot. After listening to the new Aloha set I’ve become interested in live Elvis again. I’m a huge fan of the sessions releases but I think I’m more excited for the 73 shows than the “lost album” set.

RSteven, Pants Party and D-rock like this.
  11. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

Free the Nipper!

12. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I've just read the liner notes from the FTD "Elvis Sings Memphis Tennessee" and (in a nutshell) according to those notes, whilst the sessions were held for an album release, due to Elvis' rejection of two of the masters and two more masters earmarked as a single release, the track count was down to nine thus insufficient for an album and presumably, as such, there is no mention of the potential album getting as far having a track list even considered...

RSteven, Revelator, laf848 and 7 others like this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Thanks.

hodgo likes this.
  14. hodgo

It's not quite as simple as I write in my post which was only a quick summary. I believe HMV also have a copyright claim in certain countries and they are therfore free to use it where that is the case.

15. Flaming Torch

Thanks the explanation has cleared it up for me and makes sense. I had not realised the logo might not belong to Sony via their ownership of RCA recordings. As always you got to hang on to the old records released many moons ago!

RSteven, croquetlawns and hodgo like this.
  16. hodgo

The ownership of the Nipper logo is a long complicated story, one brought about by it's use by the many offshoots and affiliates of it's original owner in the music industry, Berliner Gramophone. My guess is they took out copyright in the various territories, eventually those copyrights either ran out altogether as in the USA, or they neglected to renew the copyright which was then snapped up by other companies, in most cases that would be the JVC Kenwood Corp. The original companies who maintained ownership in certain territories, such as HMV, were obviously more dillegent in renewing their ownership.

Here is picture of the original painter, Mark Henry Barraud, sat next to his portrait of Nipper the English dog who he used as a model.

[​IMG]

17. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

18. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Hello folks,

Ive gone from "I'm fine with 30 #1 Hits and 2nd To None" to "I'm all set with the decade boxes" to "I need to collect every FTD".

Is this common?

Excited to be on this musical appreciation adventure with all of you.

19. Welcome aboard! The next step is ‘I need first US pressings of each LP, EP and 45’ ;)

20. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I'm there with Sinatra already, LOL!

londonflash, hodgo, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You and I are in the rare company of fans who love both Sinatra and Elvis. The two finest vocalists of the 20th century in my opinion. Well, I love Charle Rich, Nat King Cole and Roy Orbison as well, Lol.

22. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I have a Bear Family box and the Smash Sessions by Charlie, 9 albums, a 4 CD Capitol box and the complete Trio recordings by NKC, and Roy's complete discography. We make great company.

I, and I'm sure most of the great fans on this thread, also don't try to compare Elvis and Frank on the 1960 Timex special either; if anything, I wish they had done more duet work together.

23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, Elvis and Frank seem so different genre wise that most people seem to be drawn to one or the other. It is a rare person that can appreciate both almost equally, but I believe our fine moderator @hodgo does. What can really get tiresome is when the Beatles and Elvis fans go at it, which isn't too often anymore, thank goodness. Most fans can appreciate both of those musical giants and don't view it as a competition anymore.

hodgo, Shawn and artfromtex like this.
  24. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Not FTD related but -- wait!

It is!

I think my first investments will be in the volumes dedicated to Elvis Is Back!, GI Blues and Elvis Country, as three of my favorite Elvis tracks are Fame and Fortune, Pocketful of Rainbows, and The Fool.

Plus 50,000,000EFCBW for Don't; Vol. 3 rules too -- Hank Garland plays on Little Sister like he's going to come and take out your kneecaps.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Great choices my new friend. I came fairly late to the FTD label for a guy that has been a huge Elvis fan since the 1970's, so I appreciate you having to figure out which FTD's you should get first without mortgaging your home, Lol. I love all three of those picks and would add the FTD trifecta that cover the American Sound sessions in Memphis. Well, and all three of the gospel FTD's....Lol.