Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

I think that you're fine with the Guralnick you have. If you're curious to know more about American and the ace players who contributed so much to modern music, I'd recommend this book:

Memphis Boys

Personally, I find that it's still somewhat lacking in stories about the studio and the music that passed through it, but the Memphis Boys were quite proud of it when it was first published, which I think is reason enough to read it.

PS: of course the Elvis sessions get a whole paragraph, or I wouldn't have posted about it :) Still, those sessions probably deserve a whole book by themselves.

2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Keith Flynn's site list take 3 of True Love Travels on a Gravel Road (one of my favourites from the sessions) as a PB Play Back. It is on all the major American Sound bootlegs. I don't know why the whole lot of True Love Travels did not make the official Sony/FTD American Sound 5cd set/download. It is quite a fun listen - one expletive from Elvis but nothing that does not pour out with regular monotony from the tv.

Shawn, croquetlawns and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  3. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Nor the expletives that come out of Agent Elvis every few minutes, something which Sony itself was also involved with.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  4. Flaming Torch

I have never watched it but just looked on google! I guess it all earns money for someone.

5. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Nor me - the trailers are enough. I used to watch cartoon things like this (but not with all the bad language etc) decades ago but don’t watch current cartoons now, so no reason to watch an Elvis one just because it has Elvis in the title and a pretend Elvis as the main character.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  6. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Yes I have it on the 10 disc ''American Sound" boot it's a great take

7. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

This take doesn't even have any language, so I wonder why it wasn't included on the American Sound FTD's. Also, is there anywhere to find the harmony overdub master minus the other overdubs? I know there is a poor sounding acetate out there, but it is virtually uinlistenable.

RSteven and croquetlawns like this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Re the recent FTD stuff. Let Me Be There and the vinyl of From Elvis Presley Boulevard arrived. The vinyl is superb but I have not yet played the live cds.
    Couple of questions. The cover of the From Elvis Presley Boulevard original vinyl is it a photo from Huntsville in 1975? Also the cover of the new FTD vinyl - the same show?
    Re a couple of shows from 74 that FTD have not done. Event Number 8 - March 8th 1974 with no orchestra and the Saturday afternoon show from the
    Mid- South Coliseum Memphis on 16th March 1974. Both sound good and I am a bit surprised they have not come along on FTD.

9. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

I think the original EP Blvd cover is usually dated to Memphis, 10/6/75, although I've also read the photo was taken in Mobile, 2/6/75. Looks like the latest vinyl has a photo from November '71 on the front.

I'm confident the Houston show(s) from 3/3/74 will appear officially at some point, along with the as yet unreleased Memphis soundboards. Mid-March At The Mid-South.

Won't be buying the recent FTD live set - ridiculous speed issues and solo spots for Sumner and Voice don't appeal - but I'd probably grab anything from the following tour. For me, it's Elvis' last strong one.

Flaming Torch and croquetlawns like this.
  10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I stopped buying soundboards a long time ago since I have little interest in Elvis' post 1972 live shows but the speed issues are unacceptable for these very expensive releases. The speed should have been checked by the engineer or at least Ernst Jørgensen as the producer should have made the engineer aware of the speed issues. But maybe Ernst doesn't care anymore and these shows are released with very little effort or care.

11. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I suspect that Ernst is pretty far removed from FTD quality control and has been for some time.

12. londonflash

Same. I got the first 70-odd FTD titles, but stopped when they released that New Haven 76 show. Since then, I've been super-selective. No point wasting £££ on a ream of post March '74 recordings that'll never get played.

The samples of disc 3 from the latest release are almost comical. How the recording got past pre-production baffles me. Yet plenty of fans think we should just be grateful these tapes are released.

FTD seem to have a pretty slapdash approach to the soundboard releases, particularly compared to the care they (rightly) lavish on sessions sets, vinyl, books etc. I'd be surprised if Ernst even listened to the latest live title during this project. From an organisational point of view, it really is unacceptable that someone didn't pick up on the too fast playback speed. They ought to issue replacements but have remained silent thus far.

javilu77, bubba-ho-tep, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Oh dear so the Let Me Be There is a wrong speed release. Are they all at the wrong speed - Vegas To Tahoe, Pine Bluff, From Lousianna etc? I am yet to buy 2 of the last 3 but I do have Pine Bluff.

14. londonflash

I think two of the discs run 3.5% too fast.

Not sure about those other titles, but a significant number of soundboard FTDs have been released at the wrong speed.

15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Looks like we have a Madison Square Garden set on the way from FTD (plus the anticipated The Making of Blue Hawaii book).

[​IMG]

"This belated FTD 50th Anniversary Edition celebrates these legendary shows with remixed versions of both shows by Memphis recording engineer Matt-Ross Spang. Disc 3 contains the original press conference, recorded at the New York Hilton on June 9th.

Packaged in our 8" x 8" "Sessions" slipcase, this deluxe 3-CD includes a 20-page color booklet, great photos, memorabilia, press conference transcript and reminiscences of the late Phil Gelormine."

16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

[​IMG]

The price here in Denmark is approx. $300.

17. There’s been issues with sessions sets and vinyl releases too. This has been occurring from almost day 1 of FTD.

18. Curious where you’re seeing it for sale? I’m not seeing it at ShopElvis or ShopGraceland just yet.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  19. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The Danish fan club has it up for pre-order.
    I think the books are made in Denmark so that's probably why they already have it up.

croquetlawns and Shawn like this.
  20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

More on the Blue Hawaii set:

“THE MAKING OF BLUE HAWAII” FTD Books Following on from the success of ‘The Making of Jailhouse Rock”, FTD Books announces the release of “The Making of Blue Hawaii”. The deluxe movie book contains 387 pages of rare photos and extensive memorabilia from the film including shooting schedules and memories from cast and crew. The music book includes 85 pages of photos and detailed recording documents. *4 compact discs feature the soundtrack recording sessions which are newly mixed from the original 3-track tapes. Featuring 50 unreleased takes, the songs are sequenced in recording order for the first time. A 33rpm vinyl EP is also included. * The recording sessions audio will be issued later this year as an FTD audio only release.

The Elvis Shop London Home :: FTD - CD's / Books / Vinyl :: FTD Books :: The Making Of Blue Hawaii w/4 CD's Pre-Order (TBA)

21. Wow, that is really good news! The bolded part I mean.

RSteven, noname74, laf848 and 5 others like this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Thanks for posting but I lost track of MSG releases (I have a few!) - is this 2 new mixes by a Matt Ross Spang or have we had them before on Sony/BMG or FTD?

Oh for the original album of at MSG I play the 24/96 official flac file usually (on Qobuz, HD Tracks etc) but there is absolutely no mastering information (why would there be these are hi res sites for the discerning listener ). I would assume it matches the cd in the albums box or the masters on the Complete Elvis Presley Masters.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  23. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes, they are new. Michael Brauer mixed Prince From Another Planet and then there is the Dennis Ferrante mix of the Afternoon show from the 90s.

The hi-res version was used for the Album Collection, only downconverted to 16/44.

24. Flaming Torch

Excellent, thanks. One more sale here! The Afternoon show is in one of the Elvis boxes but I have not played that version in a few years.

25. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Looks like Keith jumped the gun anticipating that the audience tape from June 9 would be included in the MSG FTD.

Elvis Presley - Live 1972

Timjosephuk likes this.