Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah...no argument there.

I just don't see the Chuck Berry analogy. Ever hear the Travis Tritt cover? Very natural fit stylistically.

mrstats likes this.
  2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Huh. I think Tritt's version plays up the Berry features even more, with a Berry-style guitar riff opening the song.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  3. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Mine came to an email I rarely use. Apparently they're sent out to people that haven't bought anything lately.

Can't pass up 20% off on top of the Insiders discount. Six more titles enroute, on top of the pile I just bought at Graceland last month.

heatherly likes this.
  4. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Elvis Is Back!, Something For Everybody, Pot Luck, It Happened At The World's Fair and Girls Girls Girls are available from HDTracks.

5. GroovinGarrett

Might be the shortest album available on HDTracks!

johnny q likes this.
  6. Cotton Candy Land in 24/96 - just what all of us have been waiting for.

7. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

A few questions that have come up as I feel myself getting more drawn into the FTD releases

- Was only one take of "Stranger In My Own Hometown" recorded? If so, that is remarkable. I love the raw jam over the edited and dubbed master version. It's just a shame that we don't get to hear more versions of them working on this on the Back In Memphis FTD, but it's also very impressive if it was only done once.

- Did Elvis ever sing beyond the first version of "Hound Dog" in concert? The shows that I've listened all have him repeating only the first verse over and over again.

- How many different songs did Elvis interject the "What'd I Say" phrase into, both live and in studio? It's fun to hear this pop up in the middle of another song.

- Regarding the Elvis Insiders membership, I am assuming that the cost is for 1 year. However, nowhere on the page that has the description is that mentioned. Can anyone confirm this? It's probably too steep for me as I'm trying NOT to order enough merchandise to make it worth it, but if it were a multi-year or even lifetime deal, that'd make it a no-brainer.

8. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

The Insiders membership is for 1 year. It is strange they don't mention that on the main page but if you click the "Click Here to Join Today" link at the bottom it says 21.99/yr.

9. GroovinGarrett

Graceland Insiders is $21.99/year.

Seven FTD purchases, and it's paid you back. I used it on my recent trip to Memphis, and saved a bunch in the gift shops. Also good for 10% off at the hotel.

John Grimes likes this.
  10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Stranger is a first take but it was probably rehearsed.

Elvis sang the complete Hound Dog in concert during the fifties and the 1961 Pearl Harbor benefit show.

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

If I recall, the version on the Polk Salad Annie FTD (February 15 1970 M.S. ) he actually sings the second verse.

artfromtex likes this.
  12. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

heatherly and hodgo like this.
  13. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

14. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I agree. You can't miss with "The Walls Have Ears" either.

Shawn likes this.
  15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Hey, I just got an email that mine has shipped.

TCB y'all :cheers:

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  16. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

He also adds it into "See See Rider" so after hearing that, "Guitar Man" and of course the full song, I thought that he just really likes it! I wonder if he uses it in any other song as well, maybe when things are rockin' and he wants to throw a few more words in.

17. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Last week, I bought the following compilation in order to get the only two songs from the essential 60's recordings that I don't own with best up to date mastering, "Too Much Monkey Business" & "US Male"

81nhcgW593L._SL1500_.jpg

Well it arrived, I popped it into my OPPO and was immediately shocked at how loud it is, they have really jacked up the volume on this compilation, for a comparison I ripped "Devil In Disguise" from this set and the corresponding version from the "Sings Memphis Tennessee FTD", I then and popped them into Wavelab to look at the waveforms and here is what I found.....

Devil In Disguise.jpg

I went for the 60's compilation as I only needed the two songs and the tight ars*d Yorkshire man in me wanted to avoid paying £24 inc P&P for a one disc FTD , any I've now finally given in and ordered the "Stay Away Joe" FTD which I've been reluctant to buy because I only want it so I can own two missing songs "Too Much Monkey Business" and "US Male".......

Lesson Learned "Avoid releases aimed at the masses"

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Sebastian likes this.
  18. Graham, couldn't you have done what I did and picked up the Camden CD's of Almost In Love and Flaming Star instead? The two cost me just £10 combined and I don't even live in Yorkshire! ;)

19. hodgo

Steve, do they have the Anesini 2007 Masterings?

20. YES!

And they sound GREAT, no brick-walling or loudness.

heatherly likes this.
  21. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

I doubt that Almost in Love and Flaming Star feature the 2007 Vic Anesini remasters. Both were issued in 2006. That being said, they still sound great.

22. They were both remastered and extremely well done using fresh DSD transfers in 2006. They might well have been redone again in 2007 but what sonic difference will there be, realistically speaking? Very little, I imagine. And wasn't Vic behind these anyway?

heatherly likes this.
  23. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

I agree, but Graham was specifically asking for the 2007 remasters. :)

24. hodgo

Now I find out! :yikes: that will teach me to ask before I go spending my money next time :cry: :cry:

25. hodgo

I would have settled for these though if I had known about them because they'll still be an improvement on the 60's box, ah well it's knock head against a wall time for this now very depressed moderator! :doh: :mudscrying: