Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Wasn't that the same concert featured on the limited Disc 2 of the Viva Las Vegas release? I've only got the CDs with me, not the booklet.

2. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

The tracks of Disc 2 of the new EIP deluxe reissue seem to be identical to the tracks on Disc 2 of the "Viva Las Vegas" (2007) release but according to the liner notes the VLV release featured the August 21, 1969 show (doesn't say whether it was dinner or midnight).

3. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Do any of these FTD releases contain "Polk Salad Annie"? I only saw this performance on Youtube the summer.
    b.

4. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Found it. Disregard last post. :D
    tks

5. Count me in as well on ELVIS IN PERSON. This features one of, if not the, best live performance of "Suspicious Minds" that I've ever heard. I think it clocks in somewhere near 7 minutes?

Elvis also does a great version of "Words". Although I've always enjoyed the Bee Gees version, Elvis really makes it his own here. And "Johnny B. Goode" absolutely smokes!

I can only hope the mastering does this release justice.

6. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

"In Person" is a live compilation album featuring 12 performances that at the time were felt to be the best "masters" of said recordings from the handful of shows recording during the end of Elvis' August 1969 Vegas season.

It was Elvis' first live album.

This new FTD will feature the original live album, some bonus "masters" of songs not featured on the original album. Disc 2 is a complete bonus live performance, I believe completely unreleased and serves as an example of Elvis' stage show at this time. This will be the August 22nd Dinner Show

This will be the fifth (or forth depending on how you look at it) 'complete' live performance from this engagement released to date, the others being:

"Live in Las Vegas", disc 1 of 4 CD Vegas box-set - August 24th Dinner Show
    "At The Internationl" FTD - August 23rd Midnight Show
    "All Shook Up" FTD - August 26th Midnight Show
    "Viva Las Vegas", disc 2 of 2007 release – listed as August 21st show and billed as the earliest show recorded by RCA. It has been deduced by fans that this is infact a splic of the first half of the Dinner Show and the last half of the Midnight Show from this date. Not confirmed officially though.

The August 24th Midnight show has been heavily mined over the years with most of the show over the following releases: “In Person”, “Writing For The King”, “Platinum disc 3”.

For the casual observer this new FTD release of “In Person” will probably serve well as a one-stop-shop for an overview of Elvis’ return to live performance. So far the best performance released as far as sound quality is concerned is that from the “Viva Las Vegas” 2CD set last year, mastered by Vic Anesini.

7. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

I would hope they follow up "Elvis in Person" with a classic treatment of "On stage", seems only logical to me.

John Grimes likes this.
  8. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I realize these are all different shows, but what I mean is if you have the At The International FTD - which IMO is not only the best live Elvis cd, but the version of Suspicious Minds on there is better than the In Person version; slightly longer intro, for one thing - there isn't much use for another 69 show, one-time rarities or not. They're all pretty much the same show, and At The International blows them all away. For me, anyway.

9. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Its a great show that's for sure. I don't think it renders "Elvis In Person" redundant though and as this was my first Elvis CD of an original album I will be all over this new FTD edition.

"Viva Las Vegas" has better sound than "At The International", IMO. "International" has the better show...

10. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Thanks to this thread my list of Elvis albums to get just increased dramatically. Are the non-FTD releases on his site worth looking into as well? The Million Dollar Quartet looks interesting as does the At The Movies one.

11. How is this different from the usual Elvis stuff? Better source tapes?

12. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The new Million Dollar Quartet cd is highly recommended. It is more complete and sounds much better than the old cd. At The Movies is a good disc and a decent overview of his years in Hollywood but it's hardly essential.

13. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Thanks.
    All I have is a couple of the RCA remasters (Elvis Presley and Elvis) from a couple years ago, the Love, Elvis compilation as well as Moody Blue and the Elvis At Sun discs. I have none of his movie material.

14. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

At The Movies is a fine disc if you are interested in the movies and it's the only disc you really need.

15. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

And it doesn't sound too shabby either. ;-)

16. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Thanks. I'm hoping that Vic does disc 1 as well. I also hope that it is mixed by Ray Bardoni. I love the mix he did on the 69 live show.

17. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Objection.

:)

18. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I would disagree, too - Command Performances: The Essential 60's Masters II is still in print, and it has 22 more tracks than At The Movies.

19. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

:agree:

20. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Anyone already has 'Nevada Nights'? How is it?

21. peteham

peteham Senior Member

And even that one is missing some real gems. Believe it or not, there are some real treasures from the movie years. "Beginner's Luck" from Frankie & Johnny comes to mind.

22. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The songs on Disc 2 of the Command Performances set aren't well-chosen imo. Too many title tracks and it leaves out some decent songs. Disc one is very good.

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

As much as BMG/Sony has enjoyed years of issuing various themed compilations, there still isn't a definitive movie soundtrack compilation. Obviously there was loads of weak material recorded, but there is still a handful of gems.

24. Here's a very hastily-made list of 20 soundtrack songs from the 1960's that would make an interesting comp IF you avoided most of the "bigger" songs:

Pocketful of Rainbows
    A Whistling Tune
    I Got Lucky
    I Don't Wanna Be Tied
    They Remind Me Too Much of You
    One Broken Heart For Sale
    C'mon Everybody
    Puppet On A String
    So Close, Yet So Far
    Hard Luck
    Am I Ready
    I'll Be Back
    City By Night
    All I Needed Was The Rain
    Let Yourself Go
    Edge of Reality
    Swing Down, Sweet Chariot
    Clean Up your Own Backyard
    Change of Habit
    Let Us Pray

25. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I think i'll go with the single disc as I am just getting into his music. As I stated earlier in the thread there is very little Elvis in my collection right now. Here is what I have;
    Elvis Presley
    Elvis
    Moody Blue
    Elvis At Sun
    Love, Elvis

Wishlist:
    Elvis Presley – Elvis At The Movies
    Elvis Presley - The Complete Million Dollar Quartet
    Elvis Presley – Elvis Christmas
    Elvis Presley - Elvis Country FTD CD
    Elvis Presley - ELVIS is Back FTD CD
    Elvis Presley - Elvis Nevada Nights FTD CD
    Elvis Presley - Jungle Room Sessions FTD CD
    Elvis Presley - Memphis, TN (The Lost Album) FTD CD
    Elvis Presley – In Person FTD CD
    Elvis Presley – Loving You FTD CD
    Elvis Presley – Burbank 68 FTD CD

would this list give me a good overall sampling of each era?
    Thanks
    b.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.