Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I think it's still in print. My mistake.

Is Blue Hawaii delayed. Wasn't it supposed to come out a couple of days ago?

2. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Standing Room Only Details

[​IMG]

On March 23, 2009 the Follow That Dream Collector's label will release a 2CD version of the "Standing Room Only" album. From the pressrelease: "as you know the album was never officially released and it's possible that the version we create was never meant to be, but it's the best way we can present the Las Vegas masters from February of 1972 and the masters and outtakes from the March 1972 sessions at RCA".

The album will also be released on vinyl, it should be released with the FTD April title.

The label is alo planning two more CDs for the first half of 2009; scheduled for release mid-April and mid-May.

Tracklisting Standing Room Only:

Disc 1 -The Album

Side 1

1. *Separate Ways 2:35
    2. Never Been To Spain 3:25
    3. You Gave Me A Mountain 3:13
    4. *For The Good Times 3:08
    5. *Fool 2:41
    6. The Impossible Dream 2:28

Side 2

1. *Burning Love 2:50
    2. *Always On My Mind 3:37
    3. *It's A Matter Of Time 3:02
    4. It's Over 2:18
    5. It's Impossible 2:52
    6. *Where Do I Go From Here 2:37
    7. An American Trilogy 4:28

The Bonus Songs

1. Little Sister / Get Back 1:54
    2. All Shook Up 1:02
    3. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel 1:48
    4. Hound Dog 2:11
    5. A Big Hunk O' Love 1:59

*studio recordings

Disc 2 - The Studio Outtakes

1. Always On My Mind - take 2 3:59
    2. Where Do I Go From Here - take 2 2:37
    3. Separate Ways - takes 1,2,3,4,5,11,12,13, 20 & 21 (undubbed master) 10:27
    4. For The Good Times - takes 1-2 3:40
    5. Burning Love - take 2 3:00
    6. Where Do I Go From Here - takes 3-5 3:28
    7. Always On My Mind - take 3 3:33
    8. Fool - take 1 4:02
    9. Where Do I Go From Here - take 6 2:30
    10. It's A Matter Of Time - takes 1-4 6:08
    11. For The Good Times - take 3 3:16
    12. Always On My Mind - take 4 3:43
    13. Burning Love - takes 3-4 5:35
    14. Separate Ways - takes 22-25 5:16
    15. Where Do I Go From Here - takes 7 & 8 (undubbed master) 4:07

Source: Elvis Unlimited / Updated: Feb 19, 2009

http://elvisnews.com/Presentation/Functional/Page/news.aspx?command=show&item=11489

3. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

4. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

Looks like the same cover art as As Recorded at Madison Square Garden...kinda confusing.

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Well, that was going to be the cover for this album, so they got that right.

Buy boy do I want to know the reasons behind that tracklist.

6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wasnt this the release that got bumped for Madison Square, maybe this was its intended cover all along? anyway, fans of FTD releases won't be confused at all. the rest of the population probably wont know it even exists, unless they see it at the Graceland shops...

7. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It is the same cover art. When RCA decided to release the MSG show, they used the cover art for the already planned Standing Room Only album in order to get it out fast as possible. The "Recorded Live On Tour" subtitle is a bit misleading.

8. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

At 13 tracks, it certainly would have been unusual for an Elvis album.

9. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I wish they would have rather include live stuff from the 'On Tour' project.

I can make my own version of 'SRO' today when I get home. I dont see the point.

10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Here are som quotes from Ernst Jørgensen and Joan Deary:

http://www.worldwideelvis.com/ERNST_.SHTML

http://www.elvisnews.com/Presentation/Functional/Page/news.aspx?command=show&item=11410

The tracklisting for this album probably changed a few times before it was cancelled in October of 1972 so a proper tracklisting was probably never finished.

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I am also very much looking forward to an 'On Tour' release, but this seems to be the best vehicle for the March recording sessions, so it will be a welcomed addition to have all these outtakes from the session. The Vegas stuff clearly isn't that interesting since none of it will be new.

12. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

The "Burning Love" comp. from a few years ago also mixes the live and studio tracks. I don't mind the addition of the '71 singles - the reason they gave for including these is you would have heard these on the radio in '72. I have to admit that much of the stuff from '72 doesn't do it for me, I got rid of the comp.

Does "Burning Love" make a better opening track than "Separate Ways"?

1. Burning Love 2:52
    2. Never Been To Spain 3:28
    3. You Gave Me A Mountain 3:15
    4. I'm Leavin' 3:51
    5. It's Only Love 2:43
    6. Always On My Mind 3:38
    7. It's Impossible 2:53
    8. It's Over 2:21
    9. Separate Ways 2:37
    10. Fool 2:42
    11. Hound Dog 1:07
    12. Little Sister/Get Back 1:54
    13. A Big Hunk O' Love 2:01
    14. Where Do I Go From Here 2:38
    15. For The Good Times 3:12
    16. It's A Matter Of Time 3:03
    17. An American Trilogy 4:26
    18. The Impossible Dream 2:28

13. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Yes Burning Love might have made for a more satisfying opener. But Elvis put more time into Separate Ways--which was much closer to him and what he was feeling at the time. Look how many takes he did--25! I think his friend Red West co-wrote it and the song obviously parallels Elvis' failed marriage.

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I no longer pay attenion to his personal stuff - it took years for me to forget about it, and I don't read the opening reviews/album history in the Elvis album by album thread (sorry, Claus) - and I just listen to the music. A few songs, like "Separate Ways," still jump out at me as "divorce songs" and make me cringe. If "Burning Love" is a more satisfying opener then that's the way it should be (not that I will buy it).

15. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Worth it for all those bonus studio tracks/takes, I would have thought...?

Stevie

16. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Whatever happened to the Sun sessions book/collection that was supposed to come out on FTD?

17. DJ WILBUR

Anyone listening to this one yet? Thoughts, impressions, value?

18. Rider

Rider Forum Resident

Arrived today, I'll tell you about it later.

19. DJ WILBUR

can't wait to hear your thoughts.

20. I am getting a little gun shy buying these, 'cause they are expensive, and then they release some larger nonFTD set a year later.

21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What is the best site to buy these?:cheers:

22. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I have heard it and it's not bright, that's for sure. I think it's the least bright Anesini-mastered disc I have ever heard. I am not totally satisfied with it though, as some of the tracks (the live masters in particular) sound muddy. I like how the studio masters sound and I also like how An American Trilogy sounds here. Very dynamic.

The added live material is imo largely uninteresting and most of the outtakes are available on other releases. The high point for me are the many outtakes (most of then are false starts) of Separate Ways.

The only songs that appear here in undubbed form are Separate Ways and Where Do I Go From Here. Fool, Separate Ways and Always On My Mind originally had strings overdubbed which were removed before release, but these versions are not included despite the fact that cd 1 contains less than 50 minutes of music and cd 2 runs for about 65 minutes.

23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

25. Rider

Rider Forum Resident

Depends a little bit on where you live. If you're in Europe the best site to buy FTD is Nowdigthis.co.uk. A regular release (not the vinyl ones) will cost you about 22 € (shipping included). If you're living in the US Shopelvis.com is cheaper.

Man, I thought I had a bad copy or something. I'm glad you're seeing it the same way. The masters are absolutely "muddy" indeed and therefore a huge disappointment. On the other hand: Most likely you will not buy this set for the masters (or the lousy bonus tracks) but for disc 2. And this one sounds at least better. I haven't gone deeper into the material though. But Separate Ways is great of course, that's for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.