Elvis Presley: The Album Collection - 60th anniversary of Elvis' RCA contract (18th March 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I feel the same way. I'm not going to re-buy the studio albums again (for the umpteenth time) just because another anniversary has rolled around and because it's in a pretty package. The FTDs now serve as my core Elvis collection and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

hodgo and chaz like this.
  2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Agreed, apart from the odd new FTD or Legacy Edition, such as for example, Sun, On Tour, 68 Comeback with studio outtakes etc, I'm now done buying Elvis, the FTD's all have stellar mastering which is so good that I don't need to re-buy or replace ever again.

audiomixer and SteveM like this.
  3. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

This would have been interesting if the Complete Masters hadn't been released first. 70 albums were released during Elvis' lifetime, but there will be a lot of duplication if they include all the albums.

1. Elvis Presley
    2. Elvis
    3. Loving You
    4. Elvis' Christmas Album
    5. Elvis' Golden Records
    6. King Creole
    7. For LP Fans Only
    8. A Date With Elvis
    9. 50,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong - Elvis' Gold Records Volume 2
    10. Elvis Is Back
    11. G.I. Blues
    12. His Hand In Mine
    13. Something For Everybody
    14. Blue Hawaii
    15. Pot Luck
    16. Girls, Girls Girls
    17. It Happened At The World's Fair
    18. Elvis' Golden Records 3
    19. Fun In Acapulco
    20. Kissin' Cousins
    21. Roustabout
    22. Girl Happy
    23. Elvis For Everyone
    24. Harum Scarum
    25. Frankie And Johnny
    26. Paradise Hawaiian Style
    27. Spinout
    28. How Great Thou Art¨
    29. Double Trouble
    30. Clambake
    31. Elvis' Gold Records 4
    32. Speedway
    33. Elvis Sings Flaming Star
    34. Elvis TV Special
    35. From Elvis In Memphis
    36. From Vegas To Memphis
    37. Let's Be Friends
    38. On Stage - February 1970
    39. Elvis Worldwide 50 Gold Award Hits Vol. 1
    40. Almost In Love
    41. Elvis' Christmas Album
    42. That's The Way It is
    43. Elvis Country
    44. Tou'll Never Walk Alone
    45. Love Letters From Elvis
    46. C'mon Everybody
    47. Elvis: The Other Sides - Worldwide Gold Award Hits Vol. 2
    48. I Got Lucky
    49. The Wonderful World Of Christmas
    50. Elvis Now
    51. He Touched Me
    52. Elvis Sings Hits From His Movies vol. 1
    53. Madison Square Garden
    54. Burning Love And Hits From His Movies, vol. 2
    55. Separate Ways
    56. Aloha From Hawaii
    57. Elvis
    58. Raised On Rock
    59. Elvis - A Legendary Performer
    60. Good Times
    61. Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
    62. Having Fun With Elvis On Stage
    63. Promised Land
    64. Pure Gold
    65. Elvis Today
    66. Elvis - A Legendary Performer Vol. 2
    67. The Sun Sessions
    68. From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis Tennessee
    69. Welcome To My World
    70. Moody Blue

4. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident Thread Starter

And ON TOUR sits in the vaults!.

JonnyKidd, goodiesguy, JLGB and 3 others like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think the seven compilation titles highlighted in blue could be omitted from this release, keeping most of the other lifetime albums and compliations intact as part of the box set. There would clearly still be some overlap, but there is no way to avoid that unless they over-delete, which then causes holes in the set, and then leaves out some fan-favorite compilations.

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

No Having fun with Elvis on Stage, no sale!!

7. What is the point of this release apart from money making? There is none!

On Tour material sits gathering dust, not to mention another potential multi-show (from multi-tracked recordings) box set like last years "That's The Way It Is", but from '69. For those of us who didn't pick up all the FTD's of 69, this would be a god-send. Not to mention also that the '69 shows have widely variable mastering at this stage and the opportunity to remix / remaster them all to a consistent and highly listenable standard must exist. The professional critics still cite '69 as the apex of Elvis' live audience performances. Another Legacy set would make sense.

But can we please have On Tour with ALL the rehearsals first?

8. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Why are those On Tour sessions so important for the fans? I mean, the thrill of live performing had clearly started to wane (the Hampton Roads show is way overrated), the rehearsals show an artist bored to death and he had lost all interest for rock'n'roll music (he was litterally forced to record BURNING LOVE in march)... Compared to 1969 or 1970, it's night and day. I for one would prefer anything from 54 to 61 or from the comeback period (68 to 70) before EOT. :hide:

9. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

The comeback period has been well represented. A box set of all the recordings from the '68 comeback special has been already released a few years ago. Many 1969 shows have been released on the FTD label; if you haven't already you should check them out--they're all excellent. The TTWII shows were all released in a huge box set a while ago--so that's taken care of. The On Tour shows regardless of the hype--are still some of Elvis' best performances. There's nothing strange about fans wanting to celebrate that especially since the material has been consistently overlooked for many years now. You may have an indifferent opinion about those tapes but considering the label is putting out releases like "Today" as Legacy release and a new "remix" album with "If I Can Dream" you can't blame fans for wanting the On Tour shows.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    warewolf95 and heatherly like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

The "On Tour" recordings are important to the fan-base because they are viable, high quality recordings. Elvis was still very much in command of his craft in 1972. His live show had not yet suffered from his own deterioration. The Hampton Roads show may not be on the level of the August 1969 and August 1970 recordings, but it is still a very good concert performance by a focused, engaged, committed performer who was still in very good voice. There are 4 multitracked concerts in the On Tour archives, 3 officially unreleased, one out-of-print from a 2002-circa box set. Additionally, there are hours of compelling rehearsal performances, recorded in great sound. And this just takes into account the audio; there are hours of footage associated with the On Tour project. For a variety of misguided reasons, an On Tour audio set remains a distant possibility for release, but it is no surprise that the fan-base holds this project and its associated recordings in high regard.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  11. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

You're the first person I have seen that doesn't care about On Tour.

MRamble likes this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

Well, I certainly cannot fault one for preferring to get material released from '54, '61, '68-'70; but as it has already been pointed out, material from those years has already been exhausted from the archives. Yes, there are a few outtakes remaining from '68, '69, and a few concerts from 1969; but there are no glaring omissions that have yet to be released from those eras. The EOT recordings are the last, truly compelling archival recordings still lingering in the vaults.

Rick H. and MRamble like this.
  13. Money Honey

14. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident Thread Starter

This set can come out in the "CUBE" box,then the price will be good.

Come"s out in the old UK/Bear Family size box (lp),mega bucks = next to no sales (going by the fandom).

They (Sony) need to fix songs that has problems from the CM set,issue film soundtracks in mono and re-mix the stereo masters from said sound tracks,or re - use the DF and FTD"s with MASTERING needed on DF soundtracks.

Or ....

Forget the lot and get in to the ON TOUR stuff and issue that in a BOX!.

Sigh.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/ftdreview_ontourrehearsals.html

It can be done.

http://keithflynn.com/essential_lists/rehearsals-1972.html

MARCH / APRIL 72

April 9 1972 (Sunday - Evening Show) Coliseum, Hampton Roads, Virginia

TO

April 18 1972 (Tuesday) Convention Center Arena, San Antonio, Texas

http://keithflynn.com/essential_lists/concerts-1972.html

15. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

All right, you probably watched The Lost Performances back in 1992. Do you remember those performances of All Shook Up and Teddy Bear \ Don't Be Cruel (specially after the TTWII outtakes)? That was not depressing: that was heartbreaking. Years later, I discovered that he sung Love Me with a bra over his head... And vocally, he was not at 100%, probably better than in 1971 but that was not complicated.

Sincerely, I would prefer another 1969 show (vibrant, at full blast, pure energy and r&r all the way through) over the already declining king. My 2 cents.

hodgo likes this.
  16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I contacted Ernst Jørgensen about the mono situation. He said that cds were on their way out, but they might release them as downloads some time in the future.

heatherly likes this.
  17. PacificOceanBlue

Well, I don't think one can fully rate the rehearsal performances for EOT simply by focusing on a few toss-away renditions of his 50's gold, an approach he was taking as early as 1970. Clearly there are compelling and engaging rehearsal performances from EOT such as: Always On My Mind, Separate Ways, Never Been To Spain, Johnny B. Goode, Help Me Make It Through The Night, Funny How Time Slips Away, For The Good Times, Proud Mary, Young And Beautiful, A Big Hunk O Love, etc.

18. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

And I really enjoy the 1972 shows. So I say bring on some Elvis On Tour please....Now.

19. PacificOceanBlue

Ironically, Sony issues a deluxe reissue of Elvis Today, a mediocre album at best, yet cannot justify releasing a CD set devoted to Elvis' mono mixes, many of which are superior tracks than what are found on Elvis Today.

20. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Most of the tracks you are talking about have already been included in the FTD solely dedicated to the On Tour rehearsals and the movie itself is still available (despite the shameful editing of the intro). What else do you need to feel satisfied?

A Mono mixes project would be so much more interesting for me but, of course, Elvis' post 1972 outputs (MSG, Aloha, Memphis 74, Today) are much more important for Sony: those are the true "Legacy" albums........ :shrug:

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

There is more than one take for some of those songs, and there are still many unreleased songs and performances from the the March 30 and 31 rehearsals from Hollywood, and nothing released from the Buffalo rehearsal on April 5. A more comprehensive look at these rehearsals would be a welcomed addition to the official Elvis catalogue. It is no coincidence that Ernst and FTD released a disc with a somewhat short playing time when they finally released some of the rehearsal on the On Tour Rehearsals disc. Again, the serious Elvis enthusiast typically wants to hear as much quality archival music as possible, and clearly the EOT rehearsals offer compelling rehearsal performances in great sound. Additionally, there are 3 complete, unreleased multitracked concerts in the archives from the EOT project, I wouldn't mind hearing those remixed from the multitracks and mastered by someone like Vic Anesini on either FTD or Legacy. If you are satisfied with a film that uses a fraction of the footage that was filmed (and with the shameful, reedited intro on DVD), a short disc of rehearsals (and the few token tracks on 6363 Sunset), and the San Antonio concert from the out-of-print Close Up box set; I am glad that works for you. Frankly, I think there is much greater potential for the EOT materials.

Yeah, the current administrators of the mainstream Legacy catalogue seem to not be dealing with the full deck. Allegedly, Rob Santos is a self-professed 70's guy, so he clearly is behind Legacy's recent focus on Elvis' final years. Nevertheless, it seems odd that of all the Legacy Editions releases so far, 10 in total, only 1 is from the 50's (a pioneering, legendary period for Elvis), and only 2 from the 60's (both mostly two-fers with some token singles a few mono mixes). Elvis' greatest work is largely being ignored; meanwhile, his era of decline is being celebrated by Legacy. Truly bizarre.

22. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm with you guys, the path Sony/Santos have taken with the Legacy Editions is quite frankly a disgrace, especially when you consider there is so much great material from Elvis in his 50's and 60's prime, this is what should be promoted so the public at large can hear what a great artist Elvis really was.

I'd snap up a release containing all the mono takes in a heartbeat as I'm sure many other fans would, I also believe it would be an easier sell and better for Elvis continuing legacy than anything recorded at the height of Elvis declining final years.

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

It is really remarkable that Sony spent time and money restoring a mediocre 1975 soundboard tape for the Elvis Today Legacy Edition. It would be interesting to see their market research and see why they feel restoring mid-70's soundboards for CD release at mainstream retail makes more sense that producing a set of mono recordings, many which are well-known Presley hits. The irony is that Sony (like RCA and BMG before it) continues to produce generic compilations of hits and other themes proclaiming that these sorts of releases make consistent money; so why then would Sony not create yet another compilation with this mostly well-known material with an additional marketing angle of "mono mixes?" It isn't the first time Jorgensen has made a misguided statement.

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Because I dont have the Complete Masters set? :D

Seriously though, this would be really nice for those who missed out. Im assuming the mastering and content will be the same?

Dyland, CBackley and Grand_Ennui like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

Not all of Elvis' masters were released during his lifetime, so if this upcoming box set comes to fruition, it will likely not contain all of Elvis' master recordings. Additionally, the 3 rarities discs that accompanied the Complete Masters set will likely not be part of this set either. Nevertheless, if done right, this upcoming box set could be a neat package for fans who prefer to hear Elvis' music in its original configurations with original artwork intact.