Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Absolutely love this song. His vocal is deceptively carefree, and the somewhat sparse arrangement (particularly the snare drum rim shots) compliment it perfectly. The highlight of the album for me.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

3. mark winstanley

Shoppin' Around
    Written By :
    Aaron Schroeder, Roy C. Bennett & Sid Tepper

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, May 6, 1960 : May 6, 1960. take 7

This is moderate tempo rock and roll song. It isn't outstanding, but it certainly isn't trash.

artfromtex, RSteven and Shawn like this.
  4. mark winstanley

5. mark winstanley

Big Boots
    Written By :
    Sid Wayne & Sherman Edwards

Recorded :

RCA's Studios, Hollywood, April 27-28, 1960 : April 28, and May 6, 1960. take 4 plus insert

This track is quite sweet. Again this probably isn't going to be on many folks favourites lists, but it is certainly not awful.

6. mark winstanley

7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I like it. It may not be Elvis at his greatest - it sounds more like something Cliff Richard would have sung (the Tepper/Bennett connection helps there).

But I always liked early Sixties Cliff. :)

8. mark winstanley

I like it ... wasn't really sure what else to say about it lol

Dave Hoos, NumberEight and Shawn like this.
  9. Shoppin' Around is ok, a bit bland but Elvis' voice raises the mediocre to a better level. Big Boots? Arrggghh where's the 'skip' button.

10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

My sentiments exactly on both songs.

Dave Hoos and mark winstanley like this.
  11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

"Shoppin' Around" is is the best original uptempo song on the album. Not a masterpiece, but competent and enjoyable.

"Big Boots" on the other hand is grade A cheese. I like some of the "kiddie songs" on later soundtracks (eg "Cotton Candy Land") but this one is too mawkish for me.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  12. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

The early takes of Shoppin' Around are nothing special, but the remake is fantastic! It's a song that I always have time for. They should have released it as a single.

Big Boots is one of Elvis' most hated recordings, but I have a soft spot for Elvis' lullaby-like songs, so suffice to say, I quite enjoy it. The "uptempo" versions are interesting curios, but the final recording is beautiful in its own (yes, cheesy) way.

13. mark winstanley

yea i understand why folks don't like Big Boots, but I do, it's kinda sweet.

RSteven likes this.
  14. Different strokes and all that! I appreciate reading other's thoughts on songs that are different than my own opinions, sometimes I see something that makes me re-evaluate.

NumberEight and RSteven like this.
  15. mark winstanley

oh, i'm not trying to make anyone rethink lol ... it is a sweet little song (in a goofy way) it is NOT competing with Edge of Reality, Long Black Limousine, or even Little Egypt in the catalog LOL :D

Shawn and RSteven like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Didja Ever
    Written By :
    Sid Wayne & Sherman Edwards

Recorded :

RCA's Studios, Hollywood, April 27-28, 1960 : April 27, 1960. take 2

I kind of imagine that this isn't a favourite of folks, but I reckon its a great little song. It is a show tune, almost old English Music Hall, but it is an entertaining little tune. Most folks can relate to the song thematically, whether they can stylistically is going to depend on a lot of factors.
    Essentially this track is about as far from a rock and roll song as one can really be. From the semi-oom pah pah music, to the fact that it is almost like a moderate march tune. On the plus side, it's fun and it is sung and written well.

17. mark winstanley

Blue Suede Shoes (revisited)
    New Recording April 28, 1960 for GI Blues film.

I'm not sure why they decided to re-do this track. There is nothing wrong with the remake, but it just seems somewhat redundant and a little out of place.

RSteven, Timmy84 and Shawn like this.
  18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The mix of the complete take 2 of Didja' Ever that appeared on some early pressings has never been released on cd.

19. mark winstanley

Doin' The best I Can
    Written By :
    Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman

Recorded :

RCA's Studios, Hollywood, April 27-28, 1960 : April 27, 1960. take 13

This is a good song and closes out the album. We have a mellow smooth love song in the true Elvis tradition. It's hard to imagine someone who is a big fan of Elvis not liking this. Stylistically this sort of straddles the line between his fifties and sixties ballads and is a pleasant song all 'round.

20. Didja Ever - Another mediocre song, but - as always for this era - Elvis makes the most of it.

Blue Suede Shoes (revisited) - As Mark mentioned, I'm not sure why they chose to redo this track. It's another one I tend to skip; although not 'bad' it pales in comparison to the original and I just can't help thinking about that version each time I hear this one.

Doin' The Best I Can - Great track, probably my 2nd favorite on the album (after Pocketful of Rainbows).

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

Nov 4 1960 Memphis

[​IMG]

22. mark winstanley

Nov 4 1960 Memphis

[​IMG]

Timmy84 likes this.
  23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

They remade it because they wanted to have the song in stereo so it fit in sonically with the others. It's redundant, but it's also (sadly) one of the best songs on the album. Done in one take.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Another not so hot Sid Wayne song. I hadn't paid much attention to who was writing the soundtrack songs until this thread, but it's becoming clear from looking at his output that Sid Wayne was probably the worst writer in the Hill and Range stable. Or at least the worst match for Elvis' talents. As I noted before, the Sid Wayne songs on this album are (with the exception of Tonight is All Right For Love) the worst songs on the album.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Dave Hoos and mark winstanley like this.
  25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Pomus and Shuman on the other hand were probably the very best writers at Hill and Range. This is a fine song, and one of the highlights of the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.