Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

2. mark winstanley

Apr 2 1964

Kissin' Cousins - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Kissin' Cousins 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Smokey Mountain Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 There's Gold In The Mountains Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 One Boy, Two Little Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Catchin' On Fast Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Tender Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Anyone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Barefoot Ballad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Once Is Enough Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Kissin Cousins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Echoes Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Long Lonely Highway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 28 1964
    What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 1964
    Viva Las Vegas
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Yellow Rose Of Texas/Eyes Of Texas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 The Lady Loves Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 C'mon everybody Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Today Tomorrow And Forever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 The Climb Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Santa Lucia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 If You Think I Don't Need You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 I Need Somebody To Lean On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Nightlife Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Do The Vega Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 You're The Boss Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jul 14 1964
    Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Never Ending Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 20 1964
    Roustabout
    track 1 Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Little Egypt Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Poison Ivy League Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Track 4 Hard Knocks Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 It's A Wonderful World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Big Love Big Heartache Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 One Track Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 It's Carnival Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Carny town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 There's A Brand New Day On The Horizon Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Wheels On My Heels Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

I'm A Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sep 22 1964
    Aint That Loving you Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Ask Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 3 1964
    Blue Christmas/Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 9 1965
    Do The Clam/You'll Be Gone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 2 1965
    Girl happy
    track 1 Girl Happy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Spring Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Startin' Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Wolf Call Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Do Not Disturb Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Cross My Heart And Hope to Die Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 The Meanest Girl In town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Do The Clam Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Puppet On A String Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I've Got To Find My Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 You'll Be Gone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1965
    Crying In The Chapel/Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 8 1965
    Easy Question/ It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 15 1965
    Tickle Me EP

Aug 10 1965
    Elvis For Everyone
    track 1 Your Cheating Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Finder Keepers Losers Weepers Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 In My Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Tomorrow Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Memphis Tennessee Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 For The Millionth and the Last Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Forget Me Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Sound Advice Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Santa Lucia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Met Her Today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 When it Rains It Really Pours Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    complete original LP version Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 10 1965
    I'm Yours/ Long Lonely Highway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 26 1965
    Puppet On A String/ Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1965

Blue Christmas/ Santa Claus Is Back In Town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 3 1965
    Harum Scarum
    track 1 Harum Holiday Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Desert Serenade Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Go East young Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Mirage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Kismet Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Shake That tambourine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Hey Little Girl Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Golden Coins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 So Close Yet So Far Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Animal Instinct Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Wisdom Of The Ages Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Dec 14 1965
    Tell Me Why Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Blue River Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 15 1966
    Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho/ Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Milky White Way/ Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 1 1966
    Frankie And Johnny/Please Don't Stop Loving Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 1 1966
    Frankie And Johnny
    track 1 Frankie And Johnny Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Come Along Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Petunia The Gardener's Daughter Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Chesay Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 What Every Woman Lives For Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Lookout Broadway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Beginner's Luck Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Down By The Riverside/ When The Saints Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Shout It Out Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Hard Luck Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Please Don't Stop Loving Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Come Aboard Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 8 1966
    Love Letters Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Come What May Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 10 1966
    Paradise Hawaiian Style
    track 1 Paradise Hawaiian Style Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Queenie Wahine's Papaya Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Misc reference
    Press conference Mar 7 1960 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview August 1962 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    interview 72 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Rare Footage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

The missing album "For The Asking" Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties thanks @czeskleba

Ginny Tui Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

news clipping Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

3. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Welp here we go, been waiting for this day. :evil:

Lyrics aside this can be a challenging song to sing because of the faster tempo as you pointed out. I assume Elvis had trouble with it as well. Just watched the movie version; had no idea it was turned into a duet with one of the child actors there.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  4. mark winstanley

I'll have to get around to watching the movie. I have it at home, but haven't had time to give it a spin

5. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Whenever I hear the Paradise, Hawaiian Style title track, I’m reminded of how evocative film music can be. :)

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  6. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Whenever my family hear the Paradise, Hawaiian Style title track opening they think it's Warner Brothers looney toons or merrie melodies etc. Sigh...

7. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

PHS was a new dissapointment for me, just like F&J. Which means a huge one. Where was the rock'n'roll (last time i detected some trace of it was on the Roustabout LP) and what was happening to his voice? "Love letters" was a step in the right direction (on that single, he sounded like the good old Elvis) but those new soundtracks were paintful to listen to. "Sand castles" was the only track that grabbed my attention a little bit. Then i went back to Otis Blue. Presley and my interest for his music were both lost. At least for a while.

"Queenie wahine's papaya"? What a joke!

8. mark winstanley

The sad reality of soundtrack world, but Elvis For Everyone and Girl Happy had some rockers , not a lot, but some.

Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  9. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Whenever I hear "Paradise, Hawaiian Style", I'm seeing Elvis in a corduroy suit getting out of a helicopter outside of the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Ha. Never noticed the resemblance before, but now I'm never going to be able to hear it again without noticing.

11. If nothing else, Paradise Hawaiian Style (the song) helps me remember Hawaii is the 50th state.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  12. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Just like as a kid, I could always ace the word "confidence" on a spelling test. It's a "c" and an "o" and "n" and a "f" and an "i" and a "d" and a "ence".

13. mark winstanley

Scratch My Back
    Written By :
    Bernie Baum, Bill Giant & Florence Kaye

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, July 26-27 and August 2-4, 1965 : August 3, 1965. take 2

This song is actually quite interesting. The verse sections sound almost like mystery music. Elvis puts in a good vocal.
    The lyrics aren't exactly special, but the song isn't bad .... the verse is stronger than the chorus, mainly due to the unusual arrangement and structure.

RSteven and JLGB like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Drums Of The Islands
    Written By :
    Roy C. Bennett & Sid Tepper

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, July 26-27 and August 2-4, 1965 : August 2, 1965. splice of take 6 and take 3

This song is pleasant enough. Based around a rhythmic structure that I presume is somewhat part of some form of traditional Hawaiian music it bounces along nicely. The lyrics have a certain whimsical charm, and the choral arrangement is quite nice. It isn't prime, gold Elvis, but it is pleasant enough.

15. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

17. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Scratch My Back seems to go on forever on those rare occasions that I listen to it. There's no energy and no hook. Conversely, I really love Drums Of The Islands. It's a gorgeous tune, Elvis sounds great on it (particularly on the low notes), and the steel guitar lick (simple yet effective) is one of my favourite instrumental parts on an Elvis record.

18. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Drums of the island is nice with a real hawaiian feeling.
    Sand castles is pretty and well sung.
    The rest is as good and effective as the movie. Which is awful at best.

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I like both Scratch My Back and Drums Of The Islands.

20. Scratch My Back doesn't do anything for me. But - and I can't really put my finger on why - I quite like Drums of the Island. It will be my ear worm for the day.

Here's the This Is My Heaven / Drums of the Island big production number. At the end it looks like they're preparing to sacrifice Elvis to King Kong.

Iceman08, Ace24, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  21. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Brilliant! :D

22. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Somewhat off-topic but still Presley related....Elvis makes two appearances in the most recent edition of Greil Marcus's monthly top 10 column:

4. Elvis All-Star Tribute Hosted by Blake Shelton (NBC, February 17). Part recreation of Elvis’s 1968 Singer Special (as in the sewing machine company, which sponsored it), known ever since as the ’68 Comeback — footage from the original show was intercut continually, to the point of Shelton dueting directly, and not badly — and part crapshoot — “Heartbreak Hotel” asks for understatement, but Jennifer Lopez’s only answer to any question is histrionic — this was not embarrassing. With a few more turkeys — Pistol Annies, Josh Groban, Yolanda Adams — most performers seemed honored by the songs, to be saying that only their best would do. Darius Rucker came on like an amateur for “One Night,” except that his voice is too good: He made you realize how big the song is, how much it wants, from the world or whoever sings it. Steve Binder, producer of the 1968 show, told a scary story about Elvis learning the finale for the night, “If I Can Dream,” the ballad that never mentioned the assassinations that year of Martin Luther King, Jr., and Robert F. Kennedy, but carried them as if each word was a pallbearer — a story so strong it didn’t fade when Shelton led Rucker, Post Malone, Carrie Underwood and more through the number against footage of Elvis’s physically clumsy and emotionally harrowing original. Priscilla Presley and daughter Lisa Marie were zombies, but Don Was led a subtly nimble rockabilly band that gave those who could use it a perfect setting, and no one was better than Adam Lambert, of 2009 American Idol infamy, with “Blue Suede Shoes.” He looked to be having the time of his life. He sang with limitless pleasure without missing a step. He wore blue suede shoes. He wore blue nail polish. He made the song new

5. Steve Binder, Comeback ’68 / Elvis—The Story of the Elvis Special (Meteor 17 Books). With redundant titling reminiscent of a mid-’70s Elvis budget album, this handsome, LP-size book is not what anyone might have expected. For a very short time, Binder broke Colonel Parker’s hold on Elvis — he allowed Elvis to set himself free, and after that Binder was treated like a disease. There is great heart here, moment-by-moment detail, a sense of suspense, and also bitterness. Never again allowed in Elvis’s presence, in the Seventies, well after Elvis’s cataclysmic debut at the International Hotel in Las Vegas, which Binder attended (“At my own expense . . . he was fantastic”), Binder went to Las Vegas to see him again: “I knew right then that it was over.” Elvis didn’t die of drugs, he died of boredom, Binder says, even if that amounts to the same thing. “The Colonel had his final victory. An empty and shameful one at that.” And Binder gets an eloquent last word.

23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I like both songs as well, but for some reason Scratch My back seems more interesting to my ears, perhaps because it falls outside the Hawaiian style of a lot of the other songs. Both the production and Elvis's voice has a little edge to it that I like. Once again, The Jordannaires provide some nice sounding doo-wop vocals to the song.

24. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yes, the sound on PHS is a step up from the last two.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  25. mark winstanley

With a better chorus Scratch My Back would have been killer. It is a very original sounding verse, and that is what holds it up as interesting/good for me.

RSteven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.