Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

One of the things I love most about Elvis is that, like Elton John, even after he became a superstar, he was still a fan of music, and was open to a good song in pretty much any genre. “I sing all kinds” was a mission statement for his entire career. Who would have guessed that Elvis would have connected with Odetta covering a Bob Dylan song, but I’m glad he did. In one of these threads, there was a complaint about the two Olivia Newton-John covers Elvis added to his live act in 1974, but I find Elvis’s takes on If You Love Me, Let Me Know and Let Me Be There just as endearing as his take on Tomorrow Is A Long Time. One of his greatest gifts was his ability to listen without prejudice - of any kind - and latch on to a great song that others might have ignored out of class snobbery or racial prejudice (That’s Alright, Mama) or simply out of snobbery about what constitutes “real music” (the Olivia Newton-John covers, Sweet Caroline, You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling, Let It Be Me, etc.).

artfromtex, DirkM, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

The only thing I would say about those Olivia songs is that it is a terrible shame they never got to do a duet... I enjoy them.
    For me the only problem with them comes in the form of the concert soundboards, because they are on too many lol

Shawn and RSteven like this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis's vast and very eclectic taste in music is definitely one of his greatest assets. Well, that and his very elastic voice and great vocal range, which pretty much enabled him to sing any song from any genre. Your great quote here about Elvis's ability "to listen without prejudice," also reminds me of Elvis 68 Comeback Special Producer Steve Binder's story about asking Elvis if he would even have considered recording MacArthur Park, "If nobody else had touched it yet." This was Binder's way of testing Elvis to see if he was still "hip" to the times or whether he was just going to be stuck in the past. Much to Binder's delight, Elvis did say that he would have taken a crack at recording the song, if he had been given first crack at it.

Now we all know from the outtakes of the 68 Special that Elvis spent a fair amount of time screwing around with the lyrics of MP and mocking it to some degree, often singing the highly polarizing lines like, "Someone left the cake out in the rain" and "I will never have that recipe again," but in some ways this shows that the song was stuck in his head. He probably also did not want to admit he liked the song in front of his macho Memphis Mafia buddies. This fact was noted by conductor/arranger Billy Goldenberg in Jerry Hopkins first biography on Elvis in 1970. Goldenberg describes in the book how he would sometimes find Elvis alone in the studio at the piano and playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. He then noted that if one of Elvis's buddies came in, he would just stop playing as it might be seen as a sign of weakness or something. This shows the fact that Elvis's musical tastes ran deep and wide, and were often more eclectic than even some of his friends or fans could even relate to. Like you said so well, Spencer, it is one of the reasons why we all admire Elvis so much as a musician.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    BeatleJWOL, Dave112, DirkM and 2 others like this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I first ran across the Moonlight Sonata anecdote in Peter Guralnick’s biography. It’s sad, but not surprising, that Elvis would try to hide his interest in classical music from the Memphis Mafia. But, as you note, it’s one more example of how he connected with just about every kind of music that’s out there.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That is very true, although I think that after the overwhelming success of the 68 Special, his record breaking stand in Las Vegas, and the triumph of the American Sound recordings in Memphis, Elvis regained his confidence and footing, and I do not think he hid too many of his musical desires from this point on, but I could be wrong.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

You can hear how he had taken "MacArthur Park" to heart with "Memories" and its similar melody.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

"Spinout" isn't looped.

Take 5 is the master. The only other complete take is take 2, and he does the same little vocal crack thing on there. So it was intentional.

8. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Yes, and based on the short fragment he left behind, Elvis's version of "I Shall Be Released" could have been the best. But Felton didn't have the vision to see that. Compare that to Sam Phillips hearing Elvis goof around with "That's Alright Mama" and realizing he had something special. Elvis always benefited from working with strong producers, whether they were Phillips, Steve Binder, Chips Moman, or even himself on occasion.

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. One certainly can argue Jarvis was in the middle of trying to capture a master for “It’s Only Love” and had to see it through to conclusion, but Elvis suddenly jumped into a tremendous piece of material by Bob Dylan and Jarvis let it pass by without a second thought. A huge lost opportunity.

Iceman08, Ace24, Revelator and 5 others like this.
  10. mark winstanley

Down In The Alley
    Presley recorded it between 4 and 7 AM in the early morning of May 26, 1966 at the May 25—28 studio sessions for RCA at the RCA Studio B in Nashville, Tennessee.[2]

With Bob Dylan cover "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" from the same session, "Down in the Alley" was included as a bonus track on the Spinout soundtrack album.[1]

-----------------
    This is a fine piece of blues flavoured rock and sometimes gets a little overlooked sue to Tomorrow Is A Long Time I think.
    We come in with the pulsing drums and the Janie Janie Janie refrain. This is a fine jamming track, there is a loose (not sloppy, just that great band jamming out swinging) feel that really suits this track. Elvis' vocal is excellent and relaxed, and for me this is another excellent track that makes this album and essential Elvis album.
    It is a great shame that the outtakes are not on the FTD from these last three songs, but between Elvis Sings Guitar Man and Elvis So High 66-68 we get a few of them.

Iceman08, artfromtex, Dave112 and 3 others like this.
  11. mark winstanley

I'll Remember You
    Written By :
    Kuiokalani Lee

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, June 10-12, 1966: June 12, 1966. splice takes 3 and 1

Possibly best remembered from the Aloha From Hawaii special, this track is yet another great addition to Spinout, it just seems bizarre that so many of these great songs were willy nilly stuck on the back of soundtrack albums, when any management team worth two knobs of goat poop would have realised that Elvis needed a real album to reassure people that he wasn't completely lost and out of the picture.... but I suppose that if the management had actually been any good, then the 68 come back special wouldn't have had the same impact.

Iceman08, Dave112, Tord and 2 others like this.
  12. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Unedited master.

artfromtex, Tord, Revelator and 3 others like this.
  13. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

His sublime performance of I'll Remember You is the best performance on the album. Such a classy and classic song.

14. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I've never really cared for I'll Remember You, mainly because the melody is more depressing than wistful. The Aloha version is a bit better, but the studio version usually gets the skip button treatment from me.

Down In The Alley is something else entirely. I'm not a big blues fan, but I really like this track. It has that same sort of "controlled chaos" (I'm almost certain I'm misremembering the exact wording) that made Reconsider Baby such a great record. It's sort of funny that they cut this raucous, gloriously noisy song right after the sublime Where No One Stands Alone. It's hard to think of two Elvis songs that are more stylistically disparate, but as we've been discussing, that's part of what made Elvis great: his ability to think beyond the limitations of mere genres and just make great music.

15. SKATTERBRANE

All the studio songs on Spinout are top notch. I really do NOT like the Aloha version of I'll Remember You. All subtlety is lost as per usual with Elvis in the 70s. As for The Blues, it was Elvis forte. Regardless how much he loved doing ballads and Gospel, it was The Blues that he did so well as almost to be unconscious. Too bad he didn't make 3 or 4 blues albums in his career (and maybe a folk album too).

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

17. mark winstanley

18. mark winstanley

Apr 2 1964

Kissin' Cousins - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Kissin' Cousins 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Smokey Mountain Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 There's Gold In The Mountains Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 One Boy, Two Little Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Catchin' On Fast Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Tender Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Anyone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Barefoot Ballad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Once Is Enough Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Kissin Cousins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Echoes Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Long Lonely Highway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 28 1964
    What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 1964
    Viva Las Vegas
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Yellow Rose Of Texas/Eyes Of Texas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 The Lady Loves Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 C'mon everybody Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Today Tomorrow And Forever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 The Climb Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Santa Lucia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 If You Think I Don't Need You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 I Need Somebody To Lean On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Nightlife Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Do The Vega Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 You're The Boss Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jul 14 1964
    Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Never Ending Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 20 1964
    Roustabout
    track 1 Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Little Egypt Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Poison Ivy League Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Track 4 Hard Knocks Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 It's A Wonderful World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Big Love Big Heartache Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 One Track Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 It's Carnival Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Carny town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 There's A Brand New Day On The Horizon Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Wheels On My Heels Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

I'm A Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sep 22 1964
    Aint That Loving you Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Ask Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 3 1964
    Blue Christmas/Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 9 1965
    Do The Clam/You'll Be Gone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 2 1965
    Girl happy
    track 1 Girl Happy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Spring Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Startin' Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Wolf Call Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Do Not Disturb Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Cross My Heart And Hope to Die Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 The Meanest Girl In town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Do The Clam Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Puppet On A String Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I've Got To Find My Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 You'll Be Gone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1965
    Crying In The Chapel/Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 8 1965
    Easy Question/ It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 15 1965
    Tickle Me EP

Aug 10 1965
    Elvis For Everyone
    track 1 Your Cheating Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Finder Keepers Losers Weepers Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 In My Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Tomorrow Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Memphis Tennessee Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 For The Millionth and the Last Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Forget Me Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Sound Advice Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Santa Lucia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Met Her Today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 When it Rains It Really Pours Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    complete original LP version Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 10 1965
    I'm Yours/ Long Lonely Highway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 26 1965
    Puppet On A String/ Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1965

Blue Christmas/ Santa Claus Is Back In Town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 3 1965
    Harum Scarum
    track 1 Harum Holiday Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Desert Serenade Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Go East young Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Mirage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Kismet Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Shake That tambourine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Hey Little Girl Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Golden Coins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 So Close Yet So Far Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Animal Instinct Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Wisdom Of The Ages Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Dec 14 1965
    Tell Me Why Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Blue River Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 15 1966
    Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho/ Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Milky White Way/ Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 1 1966
    Frankie And Johnny/Please Don't Stop Loving Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 1 1966
    Frankie And Johnny
    track 1 Frankie And Johnny Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Come Along Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Petunia The Gardener's Daughter Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Chesay Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 What Every Woman Lives For Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Lookout Broadway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Beginner's Luck Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Down By The Riverside/ When The Saints Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Shout It Out Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Hard Luck Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Please Don't Stop Loving Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Come Aboard Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 8 1966
    Love Letters Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Come What May Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 10 1966
    Paradise Hawaiian Style
    track 1 Paradise Hawaiian Style Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Queenie Wahine's Papaya Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Scratch My Back Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Drums Of The Islands Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Datin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Dog's Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 House Of Sand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Stop Where you Are Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 This Is My Heaven Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Sand Castles Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sept 13 1966
    Spinout/All That I Am Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1966
    Spinout
    track 1 Stop Look And Listen Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Adam And Evil Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 All That I Am Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Never Say Yes Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Am I Ready Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Beach Shack Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Spinout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Smorgasbord Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 I'll Be Back Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Tomorrow Is A Long Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Down In The Alley Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 I'll Remember You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Don't Think Twice It's Alright Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Blowin In The Wind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Misc reference
    Press conference Mar 7 1960 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview August 1962 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    interview 72 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Rare Footage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

The missing album "For The Asking" Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties thanks @czeskleba

Ginny Tui Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

news clipping Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

19. mark winstanley

For me this soundtrack is among his best soundtrack albums. Certainly that is helped by the last three tracks, but also the actual soundtrack songs are pretty good. Certainly there are some weaker moments, but on the whole this is a solid album, worth listening to ... in my opinion obviously.

Iceman08, artfromtex, Dave112 and 3 others like this.
  20. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Spinout's bonus songs all recorded from the How Great Thou Art recording sessions did give fans hope, we're finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Some local DJs did take notice in a good way of the bonus songs, even with its time length over three minutes, "Tomorrow is A Long Time" was played over the airwaves and in some record stores too.

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  21. SKATTERBRANE

Not only do I agree, but I concur.

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

In 1966, when Elvis had for all intents and purposes disappeared as a creative force, he still could deliver the goods when he cared. It is astounding that he threw away so many years during the mid-1960's and wasted his talent on so much third-rate material through his soundtrack work.

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Down in the Alley has always been my least favorite secular song from the May/June 1966 session. A big reason is that the backing vocals are too prominent. Elvis does this to emulate the original Clovers version, but the Jordanaires' voices are just too whitebread and putting them upfront detracts from the impact of the song. The arrangement is a little busy also, and I'm not a fan of the screechy harmonica at the outset, or of the overly-twangy sound of the guitar during the solo. Don't get me wrong, this is still head and shoulders above the recent soundtrack work, with Elvis' enthusiasm and effort obvious. But as a whole it doesn't work as well as the other songs from this session.

I agree that I'll Remember You is sublime. Again the thing that stands out is how much better Elvis' singing is here compared to the recent soundtrack work.

Iceman08, Rick H., Revelator and 2 others like this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I agree with you 100%. I think I used the word "irrelevant" when describing the overall impact of the album, because I was frustrated that they "buried" the three non-soundtrack songs on the Spinout album. I think that was a poor choice of words by me as I have come around to really appreciating this album.

I still think those three songs could have been better utilized on another album project, but as @Spencr R has reminded us all from time to time, we have a lot of great music that Elvis did make, even during those soundtrack years, so whining about what the label should have done or could of done is really not very productive. There was some very interesting music to find scattered amongst Elvis soundtrack recordings, and I for one am thrilled that Mark's fine thread forced me to give them a better and more complete listen. My Elvis listening library has greatly expanded and I am musically richer for it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. SKATTERBRANE

Clambake and to a lesser extend Double Trouble and Speedway have great bonus songs that were squandered in the same manner. But BMG/RCA finally rectified this with the fantastic Tomorrow Is A Long Time album. FTD also did with Sings Guitar Man.

Iceman08, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.