Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'm looking forward to giving So High a listen ... it was a great session!

Dave112 and PepiJean like this.
  2. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

His voice on Somebody Bigger Than You & I is so magnificent. I don't think I've heard him sing in that particular tone before, or since really.

Without Him is another tough one vocally, in my opinion. And of course there's the title track, where Elvis reportedly got white as a sheet upon completion.

Very powerful stuff on this record. The difference between the February Spinout sessions to the May HGTO sessions is very interesting. Particularly since most of the session tapes for both have been circulating

Iceman08, Shawn, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  3. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Good point, there is a difference between sessions. Elvis ending February's Spinout session with I'll Be Back and starting off May's HGTA sessions with Run On, shows Elvis' excitement that was missing for years in previous sessions. Like PacificOceanBlue also pointed out earlier, "Finally a non-soundtrack project Elvis was willing to sink his teeth into and see to fruition during the lost years."

4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

It really is a sublime performance and I agree that the lyrics are quite soothing and encouraging as well. You cannot help feeling a little better about the world after listening to Elvis sing this beauty. I love the strength of his baritone as it lowers a little on the line, "thou who rules wind and water, stand by me." What was it one critic once said about Elvis's lower voice range, something about the shadings or timber of his voice actually made it seem lower than it actually was when he wanted it to? I am guessing, since I have not tried this one myself, that this is a difficult song to sing or at least to sing well. Elvis makes it looks easy with his elegant, but understated vocals, but I think that is misleading. Contrast his approach to this song vocally with the power and dynamics he uses to sing How Great Thou Art. These two songs alone show you why I think Elvis was the greatest male singer in the world at the time or at the very least, one of the top five in popular music history.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Iceman08, DirkM, Tord and 5 others like this.
  5. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Here's Guralnick on "How Great Thou Art" and "Stand By Me":

"How Great Thou Art," the nineteenth-century Swedish hymn that had been popularized in its English translation by George Beverly Shea in Billy Graham’s sixteen-week 1957 Crusade at Madison Square Garden. It was a bravura showpiece, and Elvis and Charlie and Red had been working on it all spring, though not off of Shea’s rather formal model. Elvis saw the song, as he saw every number with which he made a passionate musical connection, as his opportunity to pour out his entire heart and soul, with no holding back, and that is what he did here. To Jerry Schilling, it was as if he had been taken over by another spirit as he built to a vocal crescendo that left him visibly shaken.

"He didn’t do a lot of takes, but something almost frightening happened on that song; it was like he was just drained—he turned white and almost fainted when he finished. I wish I could verbalize it better, and I don’t know if I’m talking about three minutes or three seconds, but it was as if something happened outside the normal experience. And I don’t really think like that ordinarily—and it’s not even my favorite song! But there was no question that for Elvis something really happened."

The rest of the night maintained the same high spirits, if not the transcendent aspect, of that moment. They ran into a little bit of trouble on "Stand By Me," a staple of the black gospel tradition, but aided by Felton [Jarvis]’s increasingly vocal encouragement, Elvis was able to overcome some difficulties with the feel and the lyrics and deliver a beautifully articulated, almost nakedly yearning performance on the eleventh take. The warmth of his voice, his controlled use of both vibrato technique and natural falsetto range, the subtlety and deeply felt conviction of his singing were all qualities recognizably belonging to his talent but just as recognizably not to be achieved without sustained dedication and effort.

Jorgensen is also worth quoting on these songs:

Charlie [Hodge] had played Elvis a version of "How Great Thou Art" by the Sons of the Pioneers, a group Charlie knew from his stint with the Foggy River Boys. Elvis also knew the Statesmen's 1964 recording of the same song, done after Jake Hess had left the group; Elvis borrowed from them both. (Charlie had avoided playing the best-known version of the song, a rather formal rendering by George Beverly Shea that he knew wouldn't have excited Elvis.) In the studio it became clear that Elvis's months of practice at home had paid off: He knew the song inside out and out, instructing the singers on a powerful lead-in during a brief, fifteen-minute rehearsal before the final take. Elvis sang with sincerity and dedication, in a slower tempo than the Statesmen's version that accentuated the spirituality of the material and allowed him to build the song into a powerful anthem. He had crafted for himself an ad-hoc arrangement in which he took every part of the four-part vocal, from Big Chief's bass intro to the soaring heights of the song's operatic climax. In an extraordinary fulfillment of his vocal ambitions, he had become a kind of one-man quartet, making the song both a personal challenge and a tribute to the singing style he'd always loved.

..."Stand By Me" was written by the legendary black gospel composer Charles Tindley, and Elvis asked that the lights be turned down to create a more intimate feeling. Because the song was newer to him though, he found himself unable to read the lyric sheet in the dark, and started saying they ought to "do another type of song." Sensing that they might miss a wonderful opportunity, though, Felton stepped in to encourage Elvis, and the singer quickly regained confidence and finished the song.

I was a bit rough on Felton a few posts ago, so let me take the opportunity to give his ghost a hearty thank you, because Elvis's "Stand By Me" is imperishably sublime.

Iceman08, Dave112, Jason W and 6 others like this.
  6. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I'm with you all the way but I do also wonder if it was anyone else other than Elvis singing these songs on those albums would I have even given them the time of day? In other words, as an Elvis fan I can tolerate them, 'forgive' them even and find merit (dare I say?) within but deep down I know they are not what made Elvis great and merely served to keep the pot simmering during the mid-sixties...

Dave112, Shawn, Revelator and 2 others like this.
  7. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

I'm with you as well... "they are not what made Elvis great and merely served to keep the pot simmering during the mid-sixties..." Also, keep in mind at the time, we kept hearing Elvis wanted to be a serious actor, but what we were seeing on the big screen, just didn't fit together with reaching that goal. And, the noise level over the airwaves why does Elvis keep doing these films, didn't do Elvis any favors either.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  8. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

These guys on here know FAR more Elvisology than I ever will but I figure that one thing that really hurt Elvis during the mid 60's was his publishing empire. He couldn't really say much about the song material since he and the Colonel had the publishing locked up and very little got recorded lest they had their thumb on it. It was a double edged sword. If I were a song writer under contract with a bad deal, I'd make darn sure my best stuff didn't get written until I was out of the bad deal. There was so much great music happening everywhere during this time and I think any great songwriters of that time would have thought it quite a feather in their cap if they wrote a song especially for Elvis to record. Problem was that a great and well known songwriter didn't need a lousy publishing deal with Elvis and the Colonel. I could be way off and I will gladly accept more accurate commentary from my learned friends on SHF.

Iceman08, Revelator, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  9. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

In the 50s and early 60s the songwriters got a good deal. 2/3 of a million seller is better than 100% publishing on a flop. And pre-Beatles an Elvis record was almost always a sure thing.

10. mark winstanley

So High
    Written By :
    Anthony Henderson, Belinda Wallace & Cabrina Wilson, arranged by Elvis Presley

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, May 25-29, 1966: May 27, 1966. take 4

When I think gospel music, this is the kind of thing in my head. There is a feeling in the song and produces by the song that is uplifting and somewhat invigorating. There is a joy and enthusiasm. There is a connection to roots .... This is where this album really starts shining for me. I like side one very much, but side two is where my heart sits, and as has been mentioned, to some degree a reorganisation of the track order could make this album possibly 10% better or something like that.
    I could listen to this again ... but time hurries on...

11. mark winstanley

Where Could I Go But To The Lord
    Written By :
    James B. Coats

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, May 25-29, 1966: May 28, 1966. take 2

This track is a classic obviously, and I love hearing Elvis singing in this style, whether in a gospel format or not.... There is a blues element that I find really suits his phrasing and delivery. The piano on this is wonderful and really shines without being swamped by a cheesy organ getting in the way. This track is like a slowish strut to the Cross and I'm strutting along.

12. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

So High is such a catchy song, it would be a challenge not to tap your foot to it. And when the extra percussion towards the end starts going, that's the icing on the cake

RSteven, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

15. mark winstanley

Apr 2 1964

Kissin' Cousins - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Kissin' Cousins 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Smokey Mountain Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 There's Gold In The Mountains Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 One Boy, Two Little Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Catchin' On Fast Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Tender Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Anyone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Barefoot Ballad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Once Is Enough Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Kissin Cousins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Echoes Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Long Lonely Highway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 28 1964
    What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 1964
    Viva Las Vegas
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Yellow Rose Of Texas/Eyes Of Texas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 The Lady Loves Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 C'mon everybody Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Today Tomorrow And Forever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 The Climb Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Santa Lucia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 If You Think I Don't Need You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 I Need Somebody To Lean On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Nightlife Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Do The Vega Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 You're The Boss Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jul 14 1964
    Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Never Ending Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 20 1964
    Roustabout
    track 1 Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Little Egypt Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Poison Ivy League Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Track 4 Hard Knocks Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 It's A Wonderful World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Big Love Big Heartache Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 One Track Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 It's Carnival Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Carny town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 There's A Brand New Day On The Horizon Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Wheels On My Heels Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

I'm A Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sep 22 1964
    Aint That Loving you Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Ask Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 3 1964
    Blue Christmas/Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 9 1965
    Do The Clam/You'll Be Gone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 2 1965
    Girl happy
    track 1 Girl Happy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Spring Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Startin' Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Wolf Call Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Do Not Disturb Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Cross My Heart And Hope to Die Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 The Meanest Girl In town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Do The Clam Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Puppet On A String Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I've Got To Find My Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 You'll Be Gone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1965
    Crying In The Chapel/Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 8 1965
    Easy Question/ It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 15 1965
    Tickle Me EP

Aug 10 1965
    Elvis For Everyone
    track 1 Your Cheating Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Finder Keepers Losers Weepers Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 In My Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Tomorrow Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Memphis Tennessee Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 For The Millionth and the Last Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Forget Me Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Sound Advice Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Santa Lucia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Met Her Today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 When it Rains It Really Pours Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    complete original LP version Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 10 1965
    I'm Yours/ Long Lonely Highway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 26 1965
    Puppet On A String/ Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1965

Blue Christmas/ Santa Claus Is Back In Town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 3 1965
    Harum Scarum
    track 1 Harum Holiday Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Desert Serenade Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Go East young Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Mirage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Kismet Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Shake That tambourine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Hey Little Girl Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Golden Coins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 So Close Yet So Far Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Animal Instinct Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Wisdom Of The Ages Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Dec 14 1965
    Tell Me Why Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Blue River Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 15 1966
    Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho/ Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Milky White Way/ Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 1 1966
    Frankie And Johnny/Please Don't Stop Loving Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 1 1966
    Frankie And Johnny
    track 1 Frankie And Johnny Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Come Along Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Petunia The Gardener's Daughter Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Chesay Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 What Every Woman Lives For Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Lookout Broadway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Beginner's Luck Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Down By The Riverside/ When The Saints Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Shout It Out Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Hard Luck Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Please Don't Stop Loving Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Come Aboard Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 8 1966
    Love Letters Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Come What May Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 10 1966
    Paradise Hawaiian Style
    track 1 Paradise Hawaiian Style Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Queenie Wahine's Papaya Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Scratch My Back Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Drums Of The Islands Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Datin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Dog's Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 House Of Sand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Stop Where you Are Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 This Is My Heaven Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Sand Castles Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sept 13 1966
    Spinout/All That I Am Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1966
    Spinout
    track 1 Stop Look And Listen Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Adam And Evil Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 All That I Am Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Never Say Yes Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Am I Ready Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Beach Shack Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Spinout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Smorgasbord Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 I'll Be Back Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Tomorrow Is A Long Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Down In The Alley Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 I'll Remember You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Don't Think Twice It's Alright Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Blowin In The Wind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 15 1966
    If Every Day was Like Christmas/How Would You Like To Be - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 10 1967
    Indescribably Blue/Fools Fall In Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 1967
    How Great Thou Art
    track 1 How Great Thou Art Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 In The Garden Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Somebody Bigger Than You And I Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Farther Along Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Stand By Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Without Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 So High Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Where Could I Go But To The Lord Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Misc reference
    Press conference Mar 7 1960 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview August 1962 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    interview 72 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Rare Footage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

The missing album "For The Asking" Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties thanks @czeskleba

Ginny Tui Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

news clipping Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Lance LaSalle and EPA4368 like this.
  16. 'Where Could I Go But The Lord' has an air of 'coolness' about it. And great, bluesy piano playing by Henry Slaughter - I forget which channel, but listen just to whatever speaker his piano is mostly in, and you'll hear what I'm talking about. And thrilled Elvis re-visited this one in the '68 Special.

Iceman08, Tord, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree with you and Mark that there is a great bluesy strut feel to Where Could I Go But To The Lord. And this song was an absolute highlight of the ‘68 Comeback.

Iceman08, Tord, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Great to hear these gospel tunes. As much as I loved the early rockers as a kid, exploring Elvis' gospel records has actually been a gateway back into exploring his whole career, and they have become my favorites. If folks haven't yet, check out the documentary film He Touched Me, which looks at gospel music as a thread in Elvis' life. They interview lots of the musicians who played with him and it's a great window into stuff that obviously meant a great deal to Elvis. I just got the FTD editions of the three gospel albums and psyched to dive into the sessions.

RSteven, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You both say exactly what I would want to say about this great highlight from HGTA. Elvis and his piano player definitely takes us on a bluesy gospel ride to the church. Just gorgeous all around. Oh yes, I love So High as well, but @czeskleba and Mark are absolutely correct to point out that a reordering of the song sequence would have made this album even more enjoyable than it already is. I mean what singer would ever divide his live concert into one section of nothing but ballads and then sing a non-stop sequence of nothing but uptempo songs? It makes no sense to me, but other than the sequencing on the album, HGTA is pure perfection to my ears.

20. SKATTERBRANE

I do not have a problem with sequencing on either HGTA nor Something For Everybody. That being said, side 2 of HGTA is the stronger side.

Ace24, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It really robs the album of any sense of emotional flow and dynamics to sequence it this way. Side two is a little better in this regard because they didn't have enough fast songs to make it an entirely uptempo side (Where Could I Go for example is more midtempo) but still, neither side presents the performances as a unit in the best possible light.

I love the uptempo songs on here. So High is probably my least favorite of the three really fast songs, but it's still great. Where Could I Go But To The Lord is the best song on the album, though I think I have a slight preference for the 1968 version.

Dave112, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  22. SKATTERBRANE

How many commenting first heard this on LP (rather than CD)? After the more reverent side one, the opener for side two hits like a ton of bricks. I think the sequencing works for LP more so than it may for CD.

Dave112, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I may have first heard HGTA on an eight track tape, but I am not positive.

mark winstanley likes this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

I'm sorry. :laugh:

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  25. mark winstanley

That's a fair call. I wasn't quite born when this came out and I first heard it as an album in the last six months, although I had heard the songs prior on the "Peace In The Valley complete gospel recordings"
    I can't help but come at it from a modern(ish) mindset, because that's where I am (somewhat - because the kiddleywinks would say I'm an old fart lol)

Dave112 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.