Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Easy Come, Easy Go

[​IMG][​IMG]
    EP by
    Elvis Presley
    Released
    March 1967
    Recorded September 1966
    Genre Pop
    Length 13:41
    Label RCA Victor
    Producer Joseph Lilley

Recording sessions took place on September 28 and 29, 1966, at Paramount Studio in Hollywood, California. After the relative freedom of the Nashville sessions in May that yielded How Great Thou Art and other songs more to his taste, Presley was reportedly unhappy with the quality of the songs selected for the film, allegedly referring to the selections as "****" during the recording session.[2] It is often reported[3][4] that Presley recorded "Leave My Woman Alone" for the film, but only an instrumental backing was ever recorded; Presley never recorded a vocal for the song.[5][6] Seven selections were recorded for the film; the song "She's A Machine" was not used in the movie, but would be released on Elvis Sings Flaming Star the following year.[7]

The remaining six appeared on an extended play single released to coincide with the March 1967 premiere of the film. It failed to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, and sold fewer than 30,000 units total.[8] Given that the EP format was no longer a viable marketing medium, and the poor performance of Easy Come, Easy Go, it was the final release of new material by Presley in the EP format.[8] The British issue, however, did top the UK EP charts despite featuring only four of the six tracks on the US edition ("The Love Machine" and "You Gotta Stop" were omitted).[9]

Side one
    1. "Easy Come, Easy Go" Sid Wayne and Ben Weisman September 28, 1966 2:07
    2. "The Love Machine" Chuck Taylor, Fred Burch, Gerald Nelson September 29, 1966 2:51
    3. "Yoga Is As Yoga Does" Fred Burch and Gerald Nelson September 29, 1966 2:10
    Side two
    1. "You Gotta Stop" Bernie Baum, Bill Giant, Florence Kaye September 29, 1966 2:20
    2. "Sing You Children" Fred Burch and Gerald Nelson September 28, 1966 2:00
    3. "I'll Take Love" Dolores Fuller and Mark Barker September 28, 1966 2:13

-----------------------------------------------

The era of the EP was drawing to an end for a while, and this was Elvis last EP. To be honest, off the top of my head, this album's songs don't ring any bells with me, but lets see where we're at when I spin them. As nothing on here is very familiar, I don't really have that much to say here.

What do you think of Easy Come, Easy Go?
    Let us know what your thoughts and feelings are on this one.

2. mark winstanley

Easy Come, Easy Go
    Written By :
    Ben Weisman & Sid Wayne

Recorded :

Paramount Studio Recording Stage, Hollywood, September 28-30, 1966: September 28, 1966. take 9

The EP charted at number 78 in Australia, but that is the onlt chart position I can find.
    This is a fairly decent rock and roll song that was reissued on the hotch potch album C'mon Everybody.
    Certainly nothing wrong with this track, but essentially in light of what surrounds it, it is fairly forgettable. We do a pretty nice lead break from the guitar.

Iceman08 and Dave112 like this.
  3. mark winstanley

Love Machine
    Written By :
    Chuck Taylor, Fred Burch & Gerald Nelson

Recorded :

Paramount Studio Recording Stage, Hollywood, September 28-30, 1966: September 29, 1966. take 12

This seems to be similar kind of stuff, it is just a song to put on a soundtrack, It ended up on the I Got Lucky album. The way they hatch potched some of these songs onto albums is weird to me, but it is what it is. There is nothing super exciting to me about this one, but it isn't awful.

Dave112 likes this.
  4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I think you’ll find that the next track on the EP is one that, once heard, can never be unheard. :)

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

This may have been mentioned earlier, but when you look at all the talent brought together for these sessions, it's both amazing and unfortunate. The latter being what a waste of talent.

The EP's artwork, might be more of interest than the recordings.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

yea, the two obviously different Elvis shots, one of them being Spinout lol

Iceman08 and EPA4368 like this.
  7. Time for me to loose a bit of credibility - I actually like almost all of the tracks on the EP. And the EP artwork/graphic layout on the cover is pretty good and eye-catching.

For the two specific tracks mentioned so far, the title song is a nice up-tempo track and - once again for me - the backing vocals push it over the edge to being enjoyable. Love Machine, with an admittedly questionable lyric, is another nice mid-tempo movie track.

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Just want to mention that there's a jukebox-only EP for the Aloha album. Not commercially available or anything, but thought it was worth noting as a lot of people aren't aware of it.

EPA4368 and mark winstanley like this.
  9. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

And it sold only 30,000 copies. It is also the last Hal Wallis film with Elvis. Yeah I was one of the 30,000 who bought this.

10. SKATTERBRANE

One fairly good song on this EP. Too bad he did not record Leave My Woman Alone.

11. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

I bought it too. Hope you also got the catalog and pocket calendar.

mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  12. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

I had C'mon Everybody as a kid. I liked "I'll Take Love", although listening to it now, Elvis's vocal is a pitchy, throwaway mess.

Gerald Nelson's "serious/posteriors" rhyming couplet is cringe-worthy.

13. SKATTERBRANE

I got plenty catalogues and pocket calendars. But I do not recall which records I got them with. I can say that I was SO HAPPY that the Camden I Got Lucky and C'mon Everybody came out, so I could sell off 4 EPs and one single. (I am not a 45 7" record fan).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

A very predictable soundtrack with lightweight songs and cliche arrangements, which was par for the course. Elvis again mails in vocals and who can blame him, just months before he sunk his teeth into a creatively rich and fulfilling musical project ("How Great Thou Art"), and here he was back laying down vocals on mostly second-rate, inferior soundtrack material.

15. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

My ears and brain told me the first time I listened to "ECEG" that it was terrible on every aspect.
    I trusted them then. I still do.

16. SKATTERBRANE

And the sound is quite bad being recorded at Paramount sound stages.

Iceman08 likes this.
  17. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

The ECEG material sounds much better on the various Camdens, imo. The Love Machine sounds dire on the EP, but coming after Fools Fall In Love on I Got Lucky, it's a rather enjoyable track. I even like the absurdity of putting Yoga Is... immediately after I Need Somebody To Lean On. The magic of sequencing...

The title track is a decent enough number. The drum hits during the "up down, all around" parts are better than the actual hook.

Overall, side 1 isn't all that great, but I thoroughly enjoy all of side 2.

RSteven, mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  18. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Easy Come, Easy Go as an EP can be summed up in 2 words: uninspired, bland. Everyone's bored this time around and nothing can stop it. Mercifully there was only enough material for an EP.

What more can I add to How Great Thou Art? Compared to what immediately preceded it it was like a totally different artist. It's actually my least favorite of the gospel trilogy but that speaks to how great His Hand In Mind and He Touched Me are.

19. SKATTERBRANE

On thing I DO enjoy is the tone of the guitar. Finally there is an Elvis session that does not strictly rely on Gibson Jazz boxes and Fender twangers. Gibson humbucking equipped solid body guitars for once!

20. I don't think any image scream 1966 as much as this one - the souped-up car, the beatnik in the back seat, the hairstyles, driving down PCH (well, that's stock footage used as the back-drop, but still):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  21. SKATTERBRANE

The "hippie" was a main cast member in the TV series One Day At A Time with Mackenzie Phillips, daughter of Mamas and Papas Phillips. Dodie Marshall looked much better in Spinout.

EPA4368 and mark winstanley like this.
  22. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

A lot of similarities Wallis had with Elvis' films. I wonder if Wallis used the same boats from Girls! Girls! Girls! for this scene...
    [​IMG]

RSteven, Dave112, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I actually agree with you here. And you are not losing your credibility with me! I really like the brass on both songs and that bass harmony vocal is splendid to my ears on Easy Come, Easy Go.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

My father would have celebrated this occasion with a martini or something.

25. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

The songs range from the absurd (The Love Machine, Yoga Is as Yoga Does) to decent (You Gotta Stop, I'll Take Love)...but Elvis couldn't sound any more disinterested... After the wonderful May '66 sessions which produced the How Great Thou Art album, plus the June '66 session where he did If Every Day Was Like Christmas, I'll Remember You & Indescribably Blue, he seemed inspired again

Fast forward a few weeks and it's recording crap again...first for Double Trouble in late June... And the songs for Easy Come, Easy Go in September... And between the two of them, it's quite dire

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.