Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Lol

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I have never been enamored with Elvis' studio version of "Big Boss Man." It comes across as a bit lightweight in its arrangement and vocal delivery. It is certainly vastly superior to the "Clambake" soundtrack material, but I think the recording is a bit overrated because it is a pleasant departure from the low-grade soundtrack material of the era. The 1968 Comeback arrangement, however, is like a freight train, and a much more enjoyable performance.

3. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

For me, the 68 comeback version is a tad too fast. It must be the only case where I prefer a recent studio version over a comeback performance. Take LET YOURSELF GO or GUITAR MAN: the tv special renditions are the one for me. But not in the case of BIG BOSS MAN: it's so much grittier and bluesier in 1967. And groovy! Just wonderful. Because of that, it wins hands down IMO.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I agree with you on all those very fine points and I too especially enjoy Ray Charles wonderful version of You Don't Know Me. Charlie Rich did a pretty fine version as well on his highly regarded Pictures and Paintings album.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  5. mark winstanley

It's interesting to me.
    I like Big Boss Man, but obviously not as much as everyone else.

Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  6. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Speaking of Charlie Rich, I prefer his version of "Big Boss Man" to Elvis's. I guess Elvis did too, since when he played the song live he went for an arrangement closer to Charlie's. But even Charlie's version takes second place to Elvis's '68 performance.

7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I think you are spot on and you beat me to the punch as I too prefer Charlie Rich's version over Elvis's ever so slightly. I think Elvis's 68 Special version is phenomenal as well.

Charlie Rich,Big Boss Man - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86X8Ema4908

▶ 2:38

8. Revelator

Incidentally, I once played Charlie Rich's "Big Boss Man" to a distracted friend while he was driving. Midway through he asked why Charlie was singing "Big Balls Man."
    For a while afterward I couldn't listen to the song without snickering.

Iceman08, PepiJean, GillyT and 4 others like this.
  9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I love stories like this one. I thought The McCoy's song Hang On Sloopy was really called Hang On Snoppy and they were singing about the dog in the Charlie Brown cartoons.

GillyT, artfromtex, Revelator and 2 others like this.
  10. mark winstanley

me too lol

Iceman08, PepiJean, GillyT and 3 others like this.
  11. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I have always thought that.

+
    Haha. I love stories like that. Misheard lyrics are a world unto themselves. They often reveal a lot about the listener!!

12. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Yep. My hubbie thought the lyrics to Brick in the Wall were "No Dukes of Hazard in the classroom" Wishful thinking!

Another vote here for the 68 version of Big Boss Man.

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep, not the first time the best soundtrack song was left out of the actual movie.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Singing Tree
    Written By :
    Archie C. Solberg & Arthur L. Owens

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, September 10-12, 1967 : September 12, 1967. take 5

This is a pretty good song. We have a melancholy moderate paced ballad. The music and vocals are nicely balanced on here

RSteven likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

Just Call Me Lonesome
    Written By :
    Rex Griffin

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, September 10-12, 1967 : September 11, 1967. take 1

I like this, it sounds like a Hank Williams snr song. I have always loved pedal steel guitar too, and I think this song works very well.

Tord, Dave112 and artfromtex like this.
  16. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Singing Tree has strange lyrics, but very nice self-harmony by our man.

Just Call Me Lonesome is interesting because he sings it in a rather high key. I believe this is take 1, later takes find him singing it lower but I think the emotions work better on the one chosen

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  17. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I've always loved Singing Tree. It's a sweet little song, and Elvis sings it beautifully. I know a lot of fans think the lyrics are particularly silly, but I've never had an issue with them.

Pedal steel playing is a bit too cloying for my tastes, or at least it is when it's placed front and centre in a relatively jaunty arrangement, so Just Call Me Lonesome is a track that I've never really taken to. For whatever reason, I don't mind the instrument nearly as much when it's set in a slower, more sombre arrangement. I'd probably like Just Call Me Lonesome a lot more if Elvis had approached it along the lines of, say, Ted Daffan's Born To Lose.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  18. mark winstanley

Elvis December 1967

[​IMG]

Revelator, EPA4368 and Shawn like this.
  19. Singing Tree is nice, not a song I put on a lot but decent. Nice classical guitar solo, and that is a really weird distorted sound - any idea what it is?

Love Just Cal Me Lonesome. This Eddy Arnold track has been covered by many of the greats, but Elvis puts his own signature on it. It deserved a better fate than being buried on Clambake.

20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The first version of Singing Tree. Alternate master, take 13.

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Singing Tree is nice. I never heard of a singing tree, so I do not know where that idea came from. But the melody and sentiment is good. Just Call Me Lonesome is a great performance and an unusual style for Elvis. I would not have objected to a couple more songs in that style from him. (My dad pretty much only like country music, and he liked Elvis, but he thought Just Call Me Lonesome was "too twangy" for Elvis).

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  22. Revelator

I love "Just Call Me Lonesome"--a beautiful companion piece to "You Don't Know Me." For whatever reason, sad country songs seemed to draw out the best of Elvis at this time. Perhaps their authenticity appealed to him after all those plastic soundtrack numbers. "Just Call Me Lonesome" was the last song recorded on the fateful night he cut "Guitar Man" and "Big Boss Man," so it too was part of Elvis's return to his roots. The steel guitar was played by Pete Drake.

Jorgensen notes that after thirteen takes Elvis and company gave up on "Singing Tree," since they couldn't work out a satisfactory arrangement. As I wrote elsewhere on this forum, "The Singing Tree" is no match for The Singing Bush:

23. mark winstanley

hahaha, I haven't seen that since I was a pup lol

Dave112 likes this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Note on the "children's" vocals on Confidence: The 4 women's voices singing like children were aged 27-44 years old.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  25. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

"Just Call Me Lonesome" is one of my favorites. This is the kind of country I love. That pedal steel driving the song...man I love it.

Dave112, mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.