Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

I'll bet "Tiger Man" was added at the last minute.

Love the fine print at the bottom advertising the Special.

[​IMG]

2. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Unless I'm mistaken, other than the gospel albums, it is the first non-soundtrack LP to be christened after the title of one of the songs on it. Camden would continue this trend, and while the main label wouldn't make it the norm during Elvis's lifetime (although it dabbled in it from time to time), it's certainly something which we now associate with Elvis through the use of the device almost incessantly over the last thirty or so years by both FTD and bootlegs.

But I think you hit the nail on the head as to why the title was chosen. Flaming Star might not have been a big commercial success, but by 1968 it had undoubtedly gained a reputation as a much better film than initial reaction in 1960(1?) would have suggested. It had been shown on TV a number of times, was by that time viewed as one of Elvis's best films, and it was the most recognisable title out of all the songs on the album. It was also one of those songs that mysteriously hadn't appeared on LP and which fans, no doubt, wanted in that format, so that was another way of luring buyers in.

mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  3. shanebrown

I seem to recall a discussion on FECC that a number of the reissues can't be included because of the amount of bonus material included on them. i'm sure someone here will know enough to confirm or deny that.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Not sure if anyone upthread mentioned it, but "If I Can Dream" b/w "Edge Of Reality" and Elvis Sings Flaming Star and Others were the first Elvis records to carry the "new" RCA logo. The new logo appeared on the picture sleeve of "A Little Less Conversation" b/w "Almost In Love", but the records were pressed with black Nipper-on-left labels.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Certainly it was the most recognizable song on the LP, but was it more recognizable than Follow That Dream or Viva Las Vegas, two other soundtrack title songs that had never appeared on LP? It just seems an odd, arbitrary choice.

mark winstanley and EPA4368 like this.
  6. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Agreed. Singer Presents ELVIS Singing Follow That Dream And Others sounds much better too!

czeskleba and mark winstanley like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I hear you. Still, throughout the 1970's and then post-death during the late-1970's, 1980's, 1990's (during the start of the CD boom), 2000's, etc., I suspect at some point, From Elvis In Memphis likely moved a million units in the U.S., and almost certainly worldwide. Then again, I could be way off here.

8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just came across another article from ChartMasters that verified that Garth Brooks Limited Series box set did help him gain two million each in certifications that pushed two of his albums over into Diamond status, Garth Brooks, his debut album, and Sevens. The RIAA rules are rather convoluted and change fairly often these days, but IIRC you are correct that it has something to do with the amount of bonus material or whether the box set merely includes the exact configuration of the original album or not. I cannot seem to find the actual RIAA rule on this, but I believe that Elvis's 60 album box set would up the individual count of his albums, if they met a new gold or platinum level. Again, I could be wrong, but that is the way it seemed to work for Garth's Limited Edition box set, but it does not work that way for most box sets. I think it is all about whether the albums within the box set are a close approximation of a stand alone album. I am sure that the RIAA has a more specific criteria, but I cannot seem to find it after a quick search.

9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I believe that you have to be correct about the overall sales of this album. I just do not see how it could not have reached that status by now. My goodness, the inclusion of In The Ghetto alone would have driven the sales forward for many years.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

True. Granted, some of the album's hits and associated singles were available on more attractive hits compilations over the years, but still, over a 50 year period, in a world of hundreds of millions of music consumers, one suspects From Elvis In Memphis went platinum at some point. Much lesser albums have moved a million.

11. shanebrown

Viva Las Vegas was a B-side rather than an EP track, and therefore was probably being held back at that point in case there was to be another Gold Records volume a few years down the line. And, as we know, the soundtrack EPs (Kid Galahad, Viva Las Vegas, Follow that Dream, and Easy Come Easy Go) all got divided up on later Camdens. I don't know for sure when the Camden contract came into being, but it's highly likely these EPs were earmarked for them at a relatively early stage, even if they didn't appear until 1971. Had they not been earmarked for specific projects, it's surely likely that at least one or two tracks would have emerged on Let's Be Friends or Almost in Love.

It's also worth remembering that Viva Las Vegas wasn't a big hit single at the time of release - and, if it was, Parker was likely to keep it in reserve for another Gold Records compilation which he must have been envisaging as happening a few years down the line.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  12. Well, there were many years where this album wasn't in print. When finally issued on CD, I don't think it sold very well. Even if we count sales of the album collection, what's that, maybe 10k? The FTD (if it even counts) would be another 3-5K? And if a casual fan wanted In The Ghetto, I can see them getting that track on one of the myriad Greatest Hits LPs/45/CDs it appeared on.

I'm playing Devil's advocate a bit here. And I'd truly love to see it certified Platinum as it's probably my favorite Elvis album (as released in his lifetime).

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Hey, the official numbers seem to back you up, but I just wonder how this album got lost between the success of the 68 Comeback Special, From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis albums and all the great press Elvis was now getting with his back to back top top five singles. Even ETTWII recently received platinum status. I have to say that I have not always trusted the official numbers on Elvis's record sales. I sometimes think they got overblown (One billion albums sold?) and sometimes I get the feeling they were underreported when Elvis died (I have never seen so many record albums in my life when I would visit multiple record stores after he passed away; copies of Moody Blue and Elvis In Concert were stacked on the floors in rows deeper than you could count). I do not think they were returned either. As we all know, RCA had to put their factory employees on overtime to keep up with the demand.

Dodoz, Iceman08, GillyT and 2 others like this.
  14. Maybe a case of mild oversaturation? Within the period of 12 months, RCA released Elvis ('68 Special Soundtrack), FEIM, the double LP From Memphis To Vegas / From Vegas To Memphis, Elvis Sings Flaming Star, Let's Be Friends. There were three movies released in 1968, and three more in 1969. Of course there was the '68 Special on TV. There were also, what, 6 45's issued during this period too? A consumer can only purchase just so much Elvis! Present company of those in this and the FTD thread excluded, of course ;)

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  15. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

From Elvis In Memphis remained in the catalog until RCA stopped making LPs altogether, sometime around 1990-1992 (in the US). It came out on CD 1991. As far as I know From Elvis In Memphis has always been available on either LP or CD since 1969.

Shawn, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I've been reading today's conversation with great interest .. The Singer thing, is bizarre to me no matter what but ...

On the Gold and Platinum records....
    Album- certification- year certified
    30 #1's - 6x platinum 2018
    That's The Way It Is - platinum 2018
    I got Lucky - platinum 2011
    Elvis Christmas - gold 2011
    Elvis (56) - platinum 2011
    Elvis Presley (56) - platinum 2011
    Elvis (73) - 5x platinum 2010
    How Great Thou Art - 3x platinum 2010
    Frankie And Johnny - platinum 2004
    Almost In Love - platinum 2004
    Lets Be Friends - platinum 2004
    From Nashville To Memphis - platinum 2004
    Separate Ways - platinum 2004
    C'mon Everybody - gold 2004
    Flaming Star - platinum 2004
    Complete Sun Sessions - gold 2004
    The Number One Hits (87) - 3x platinum 2002
    Aloha From Hawaii - 5x platinum 2002
    Elvis In Concert - 3x platinum 2002
    Blue Hawaii - 3x platinum 2002
    Original Christmas Album - 3x platinum 1999
    Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis - gold 1999
    Elvis is Back - was certified Gold in 1999 ... desperately disappointing should have been at least triple platinum bu then
    On Stage - certified Platinum in 1999
    MSG - platinum 1999
    Golden Records vol 1 - 6x platinum 1999
    He Touched Me - platinum 1999
    Tv special album - platinum 1999
    Golden Records vol 5 - gold 1999
    Something For Everybody - gold 1999
    His Hand In Mine - platinum 1992
    Elvis Now - Gold 1992
    Moody Blue - platinum 1992
    Golden Records vol 2 - platinum 1992
    vol 3 - platinum 1992
    GI Blues - platinum 1992
    Roustabout - gold 1988
    Elvis Country - gold 1977
    From Elvis Presley Blvd - gold 1977
    From Elvis In Memphis - gold 1970
    From Memphis To Vegas/Vegas To Memphis - gold 1969
    Loving You - Gold 1968
    Girls Girls Girls - gold 1963

I find it bizarre some of the biggest sellers on that list.
    The most important thing to note though (and this is from the RIAA official site. So these are, to the best of my knowledge the current official certifications.) - The four or five albums on the bottom haven't been re-certified since basically since release. So it is no wonder that there are some peculiarities when looking at what is and isn't platinum.

Edit - These are just what at a quick glance seemed to be the main, actual albums. I included the two versions of number one hits, because it is nearly ten million sold ... and interesting to me

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

and as I was just saying, it is one of the few Elvis albums never to have been re=certified by the RIAA via RCA or whoever is the responsible party... it is weird most of the others are....
    I reckon it has easily gone platinum in the last fifty years

SKATTERBRANE and RSteven like this.
  18. SKATTERBRANE

One album that went out of print very quickly was Elvis (Fool). It was never reissued on LP. It only came out in its original orange label. Never came out in the tan or the new black label and never was assigned a new catalog number. I was not reissued after his death (like the handful of soundtracks that went OOP in 1969 did). It sold 200K initially. It did become platinum however. Once it was released on CD in 1994 (and reissued in 1999) there seemingly was a pent up desire for the album as so many missed out in the short window it was available on LP. The value of the LP shot up drastically in the late 70s and the 80s.

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  19. SKATTERBRANE

Also from RIAA official site. Although this list does not include singles, it does include 45 Extended Play Albums (ShortFormalAlbum):
    (the "none" is genre.) Interestingly From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis gets gold in 1969 but the single LP Elvis In Person gets platinum in 2011. But its other half Back In Memphis does not get an award. In the 70s Live Elvis records did generally better than non-compilation studio albums.
    The Camden Christmas Album leads the way. (The LOC-1035/LPM-1951 went triple Platinum) List also includes Record Club and TV album offers.

Title Highest Award Certification Date Category Format Genre[​IMG]
    ELVIS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM 10X Multi-Platinum September 9, 2011 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS: 30 #1 HITS 6X Multi-Platinum March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS, VOLUME 1 6X Multi-Platinum July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS (Brookville) 5X Multi-Platinum December 1, 2010 SOLO ALBUM None
    ALOHA FROM HAWAII 5X Multi-Platinum August 1, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    THE TOP TEN HITS 4X Multi-Platinum January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME 4X Multi-Platinum March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE 3X Multi-Platinum January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS IN CONCERT 3X Multi-Platinum August 1, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    HOW GREAT THOU ART 3X Multi-Platinum October 13, 2010 SOLO ALBUM None
    BLUE HAWAII 3X Multi-Platinum July 30, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF CHRISTMAS 3X Multi-Platinum July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    A LEGENDARY PERFORMER, VOLUME 1 3X Multi-Platinum March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM (ORIGINAL) 3X Multi-Platinum July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    THE NUMBER ONE HITS 3X Multi-Platinum August 6, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS AS RECORDED AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN 3X Multi-Platinum July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    THE KING OF ROCK N ROLL: THE COMPLETE 50'S MASTERS 2X Multi-Platinum July 30, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    THE ELVIS PRESLEY STORY 2X Multi-Platinum July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    JAILHOUSE ROCK 2X Multi-Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    WORLDWIDE 50 GOLD AWARD HITS, VOLUME 1 2X Multi-Platinum June 17, 1992 SOLO ALBUM None
    BURNING LOVE AND HITS FROM HIS MOVIES, VOLUME 2 2X Multi-Platinum January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    PURE GOLD 2X Multi-Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO ALBUM None
    AMAZING GRACE-HIS GREATEST SACRED PERFORMANCES 2X Multi-Platinum July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    MOODY BLUE 2X Multi-Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO ALBUM None
    A LEGENDARY PERFORMER, VOLUME 2 2X Multi-Platinum July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    50 YEARS - 50 HITS 2X Multi-Platinum July 30, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS VOLUME 1 2X Multi-Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    2ND TO NONE Platinum November 24, 2003 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS TV SPECIAL Platinum July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    ESSENTIAL ELVIS Platinum March 3, 2016 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS ARON PRESLEY Platinum June 17, 1992 SOLO ALBUM None
    HITSTORY Platinum March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS (2nd) Platinum August 10, 2011 SOLO ALBUM None
    G.I. BLUES Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO ALBUM None
    FROM NASHVILLE TO MEMPHIS Platinum January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS IN PERSON Platinum September 15, 2011 SOLO ALBUM None
    DOUBLE DYNAMITE Platinum January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS IN HOLLYWOOD Platinum December 2, 2010 SOLO ALBUM None
    WORLD GOLD AWARDS VOLUME I & II Platinum July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    IF EVERY DAY WAS LIKE CHRISTMAS Platinum July 30, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    SEPARATE WAYS Platinum January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    WELCOME TO MY WORLD Platinum January 14, 1983 SOLO ALBUM None
    I GOT LUCKY Platinum September 15, 2011 SOLO ALBUM None
    FRANKIE & JOHNNY Platinum January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    BLUE CHRISTMAS Platinum August 4, 2010 SOLO ALBUM None
    FOLLOW THAT DREAM Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS, VOLUME 3 Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO ALBUM None
    FLAMING STAR Platinum January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS, VOLUME 2 Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO ALBUM None
    HEART AND SOUL Platinum March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    PEACE IN THE VALLEY Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    ELVIS SINGS HITS FROM HIS MOVIES, VOL. 1 Platinum January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    HIS HAND IN MINE Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO ALBUM None
    ALMOST IN LOVE Platinum January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    ON STAGE FEBRUARY 1970 Platinum July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    ULTIMATE GOSPEL Platinum March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    LOVE ME TENDER (SOUNDTRACK) Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    ELVIS SINGS CHRISTMAS SONGS Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    THE REAL ELVIS Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    ELVIS - THAT'S THE WAY IT IS Platinum March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS! HIS GREATEST HITS Platinum April 28, 1998 SOLO ALBUM None
    LET'S BE FRIENDS Platinum January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    HE TOUCHED ME Platinum July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    KING CREOLE VOLUME 2 Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    LOVING YOU, VOLUME 2 Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    ELVIS PRESLEY Platinum August 10, 2011 SOLO ALBUM None
    KING CREOLE VOLUME 1 Platinum March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    GIRL HAPPY Gold July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    LOVING YOU VOLUME 1 Gold March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    ELVIS PRESLEY Gold March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    KING CREOLE Gold July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS NOW Gold March 27, 1992 SOLO ALBUM None
    KID GALAHAD Gold March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    ELVIS IS BACK Gold July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    THE COMPLETE SUN SESSIONS Gold August 6, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS PRESLEY CHRISTMAS DUETS Gold March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY Gold July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    FROM MEMPHIS TO VEGAS Gold December 12, 1969 SOLO ALBUM None
    C'MON EVERYBODY Gold January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    FROM ELVIS PRESLEY BLVD., MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE Gold October 7, 1977 SOLO ALBUM None
    ROUSTABOUT Gold May 20, 1988 SOLO ALBUM None
    FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS Gold January 28, 1970 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS, VOLUME 5 Gold July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES-THE ESSENTIAL 70'S MASTERS Gold July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    RECORDED LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS Gold July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS, VOLUME 4 Gold March 27, 1992 SOLO ALBUM None
    THIS IS ELVIS Gold August 6, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    HE TOUCHED ME: THE GOSPEL MUSIC OF ELVIS PRESLEY Gold March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    PLATINUM: A LIFE IN MUSIC Gold August 1, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    THE VERY BEST OF LOVE Gold September 15, 2011 SOLO ALBUM None
    WHITE CHRISTMAS Gold March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    LOVING YOU Gold April 9, 1968 SOLO ALBUM None
    AN AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN Gold March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS SINGS FOR KIDS Gold September 15, 2011 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS COUNTRY Gold December 1, 1977 SOLO ALBUM None
    THE ROCK 'N' ROLL ERA Gold July 31, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    HEARTBREAK HOTEL Gold March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    A LEGENDARY PERFORMER, VOLUME 3 Gold December 18, 1978 SOLO ALBUM None
    ARTIST OF THE CENTURY Gold March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    THE GREAT PERFORMANCES Gold March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    LOVE ME TENDER Gold January 6, 2004 SOLO ALBUM None
    MEMORIES OF ELVIS Gold July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    CHRISTMAS PEACE Gold March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    THE OTHER SIDES-WORLDWIDE GOLD AWARD HITS VOL. 2 Gold July 15, 1999 SOLO ALBUM None
    HE WALKS BESIDE ME - FAV. SONGS OF FAITH & INSPIR. Gold March 27, 1992 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS ROCK Gold March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    MEMORIES OF CHRISTMAS Gold December 6, 1991 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS PRESLEY GOSPEL TREASURY Gold February 1, 2000 SOLO ALBUM None
    PEACE IN THE VALLEY-THE COMPLETE GOSPEL RECORDINGS Gold March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS CHRISTMAS Gold September 15, 2011 SOLO ALBUM None
    MAHALO FROM ELVIS Gold September 15, 2011 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS VOLUME 2 Gold March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    ELVIS PRESLEY Gold March 27, 1992 SOLO SHORTFORMALBUM None
    THE LEGEND LIVES ON Gold August 1, 2002 SOLO ALBUM None
    GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS Gold August 13, 1963 SOLO ALBUM None
    50 GREATEST LOVE SONGS Gold August 4, 2010 SOLO ALBUM None
    ELVIS' GREATEST JUKEBOX HITS Gold March 8, 2018 SOLO ALBUM None

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  20. Wow, learn something new every day! I thought it went OOP in the very early 80's, I certainly never saw new copies for sale after that. It was a revelation when The Memphis Record (the remixed 2 LP release), the Sun collection and the Top 10 hits came out in 1987 as I finally started seeing Elvis vinyl in the shops again. And was thrilled about the Memphis set as I was glad to see the material available easily.

Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  21. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

That's one reason I've always been confused about Elvis' management. It seems that these roles that should have been separated were always blurred together with Parker somewhere in the mix. One can certainly make the case that Parker didn't always deal above board with Elvis but it seems that Elvis dropped the ball too. Once Elvis got his cut no matter the shenanigans beforehand, he could have sought professional council on managing it. Elvis wasn't the only entertainer to spend recklessly by any measure but it seems he could have benefited from a clear financial firewall between himself and Parker.

EPA4368, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  22. shanebrown

We look back on this period now as a golden age for Elvis, but my research of reviews and articles from the time suggest that this is a view that has emerged after the event. The "great press" is somewhat exaggerated for the purpose of liner notes etc.

The comeback garnered high viewing figures for sure, but it only received so-so reviews for the most part, with some criticising the production numbers and others criticising the live elements. And the album did no better in the charts than Harum Scaum. The same is true of From Elvis to Memphis, which got some good, some bad reviews, but only Billboard and Guralnick's really single it out for the great work it is - and even then Guralnick throws in significant caveats (although I have considerable issues with his comments).

The one album from the period that got universal praise was the live album from From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis. The studio part of the double album was not generally well-received - Robert Hilburn called it "a disappointment" - but the live album had almost unanimous praise - and got it again when released on its own.

GillyT, Shawn, ZoSoUK and 2 others like this.
  23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I believe that Elvis's "Fool" album has never been certified by the RIAA for gold or platinum sales, but it is often mixed up with a commemorative album from 1973 that did get certified five times platinum and also his platinum certified similarly titled Elvis album from 1956.

artfromtex and mark winstanley like this.
  24. shanebrown

I also thought it was out of print for some years, and that the Memphis Record effectively replaced it in the catalogue. It certainly wasn't in shops when I started buying Elvis material. According to discogs, there was a limited edition release in 1981 on Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, but otherwise no issues in America between 1977 and 1991.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  25. SKATTERBRANE

Yes, I still love to listen to The Memphis Record. I like a lot of the remixes they used. I bought my Dad From Elvis In Memphis and Elvis Country in the late 80s each with the new AFL and AYL (respectively) prefix catalog numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.