Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

"Elvis sings Flaming Star" - Hodge-podge candem album... that includes 2 amazing nuggets: Berry's TOO MUCH MONKEY BUSINESS (my favorite Chuck Berry cover by our man) and the wild and fiery TIGER MAN from the 2nd sitdown show (although I've been listening to the dressing room version from the "Platinum" set lately.)

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

3. mark winstanley

4. mark winstanley

track 2

Wonderful World
    Written By :
    Guy Fletcher & Doug Flett

Recorded :

Western Recorders, Hollywood, March 7 & 11, 1968 : March 7, 1968. taker 17

This track is from Live A Little Love A Little and it is very sweet. We have a big orchestral production number, and it has a very good vocal. Very much a movie song, it would be impossible to escape that, in fact you are almost waiting for dialogue to come in at the end.

Iceman08 and RSteven like this.
  5. mark winstanley

All I Needed Was The Rain
    Written By :
    Ben Weisman & Sid Wayne

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 1, 1967 : October 1, 1967. take 3

The irony of this song this morning is quite big, as we are in the middle of a huge storm that has been going all night ... I was actually surprised the power was on this morning lol, but anyhow.....
    This is a pretty good song, a hint of blues and a nice slow groove. It is another of those really short songs that we have gotten used to.

Iceman08, Tord and Dave112 like this.
  6. mark winstanley

Too Much Monkey Business
    Written By :
    Chuck Berry

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, January 15-17, 1968 : January 15, 1968. take 14

I'm guessing from the acoustic guitar that Jerry Reed is on this. We have a very cool feel and this was always a good song, and this is a good take.

Iceman08, Tord, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  7. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Wonderful World is sweet, but it's also a song that I enjoy in the moment...and then don't really want to hear again for a while. I can't explain it, but for some reason, it doesn't leave the best impression. It probably doesn't help that, in my memory, I tend to mix it up with It's A Wonderful World and, to a lesser extent, What A Wonderful Life.

I can't remember much about All I Needed Was The Rain, except for some harmonica parts and that I always either tune it out or skip it. Like Hard Luck, it gives off a vibe that just doesn't appeal to me.

Too Much Monkey Business is by far my favourite of these three songs. It goes for a somewhat different atmosphere than Chuck's original, and I think it's quite successful at that. Jerry's guitar makes all the difference.

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

9. mark winstanley

10. mark winstanley

11. mark winstanley

12. mark winstanley

There was certainly no shortage of posters for the comeback special

RSteven likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

15. mark winstanley

16. mark winstanley

17. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The publicity for the first UK broadcast of the TV Special (retitled, for some reason, The Fabulous Elvis) on BBC2 on December 31, 1969 (!) was somewhat more restrained than in the US:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Thanks to the remarkably knowledgeable Dr. John Carpenter, M.D. on the For Elvis CD Collectors forum for the images)

18. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Oh man, once you get into collecting different mixes you really go down the rabbit hole. There are so many I cannot keep track of it all. And like the Kentucky Rain thing, I have to refresh my memory over and over again and go back to my CDs to reevaluate them for discussion. There are at least 4 different versions (mix and master wise) of the CD Elvis For Everyone for example. Just various greatest hits CDs have so many mix and master variants, Top Ten Hits, WWGAH, All Time Greatest Hits each have their own sound (just to name three). Sometimes some tracks are said to be stereo in the booklet, but are really mono on the CD. (Yes there are ways to get some of the hit singles in mono but you wouldn't know it until you played them). Until Elvis At Sun came out, the best Sun CD was the UK's The Sun Collection. For some reason it was mastered much better than the US's The Sun Sessions, The Complete Sun Sessions and Sunrise and just about all US Sun releases until Elvis At Sun and A Boy From Tupelo came out.

GillyT, DirkM, Dave112 and 1 other person like this.
  19. SKATTERBRANE

All I Needed Was The Rain I like much more than the average Elvis fan. Of course Too Much Monkey Business is well liked by most and by me as well. Wonderful World is so-so. I don't skip it, but I do not like whistling on any song by anybody.

Iceman08, RSteven, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Even Games Without Frontiers by Peter Gabriel? :)

21. Love All I Needed Was The Rain, and it deserved a far better opportunity than it got (as part of the Stay Away, Joe film and on the Flaming Star LP). Laid back, catchy groove. Nice vocals. Nice harmonica. And I get a kick out of Evlis' off-lyric 'yeah' at app. 45 seconds in. I could see Bobby Gentry doing a nice version of this track.

I like Wonderful World in the movie, with Elvis (and stunt double) driving like a maniac down PCH and on the beach in that groovy dune buggy, although I don't seek out the song much otherwise.

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It’s easy to pick on the Colonel as old-fashioned or corrupt, but you can’t accuse him of of not going all out with the promotional strategies he did employ.

BeatleJWOL and mark winstanley like this.
  23. Like the Tickle Me feather kit:

[​IMG]

I have a bunch of the Elvis movie press kits, and some have insane promotional suggestions for theater owners to tie in with the showing of the films. I'll have to dig them out and put a few in the thread.

Iceman08, GillyT, NumberEight and 2 others like this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

Well that is the least annoying of them. But a nice vibrophone doing that riff would sound much better! (but a marimba would suit Gabriel's sensibilities better).

25. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Last night I scored a really nice original CD pressing of Gold Records Volume 5. for $8.99. Looking forward to it. Glad I still have my copy of The Memphis Record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.