Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is a nice compilation/playlist. And it really highlights how disjointed Elvis' recording work was from the period. That track listing compiles the highlights from an uneven series of sessions, none that ever yielded one cohesive, commercially viable soundtrack or mainstream album.

BeatleJWOL, EPA4368, PepiJean and 2 others like this.
  2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Which presumably explains why I’ve always like this particular Double Features CD, which includes eight of the twelve tracks on your excellent compilation:

[​IMG]

Iceman08, Mylene, EPA4368 and 6 others like this.
  3. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Yep, nice compilation but I would have kept the bluesier tracks for a 1967/1971 Rhythm & Soul album:

SIDE A
    intro: "Trouble" (1968 comeback)
    1- Stranger in my own home town (1969 undubbed)
    2- Baby what you want me to do (3rd version 1st sitdown show)
    3- All I needed was the rain
    4- My Babe (live, "Elvis in Person")
    5- Hi-Heel Sneakers (1995 Essential Masters)
    6- Tiger Man (Dressing room 1968)

SIDE B
    1- Merry Christmas Baby (single edition)
    2- After Loving You (out-take #2)
    3- US Male
    4- Let yourself go (1968 comeback)
    5- Got my mojo workin' / Hands Off (unedited / undubbed)
    6- Without Love

4. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Yes, that's my go-to collection as well for the most part - and almost certainly what the FTD should have been modelled on, stretched out to a 2nd CD with the Stay Away Joe tracks thrown in. Perhaps that would have meant a handful of alternates being left out, but considering the amount of repetition, I don't think that would have been a huge issue.

NumberEight and mark winstanley like this.
  5. It's almost a shame EPs fell out of favor when they did - I can see nice ones being made for Live A Little, Love A Little, Stay Away Joe, The Trouble With Girls and Change of Habit.

Iceman08, Dave112, EPA4368 and 2 others like this.
  6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

You could call the album Almost In Love......Almost.

Shawn, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

And yet, the ALBUM version is #2 not #5. FTD has a great CD covering the late soundtracks too,

Iceman08, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  8. shanebrown

But it's not a great album in the case of ftd. It is one of the most idiotically sequences FTDs that they have yet released. There seems to be no rhyme or reason whatsoever to the tracklisting. In order to get to the alternate versions of Let Us Pray at the end of the disc, you have to wade through (or skip) twenty minutes of Almost, for example. Why not put the big batch of Almost outtakes last, so you can turn the disc off at that point if you want to? And why aren't Signs of the Zodiac and Swing Down Sweet Chariot bunched together with the masters? There is no rhyme or reason

Considering how good the discs containing the non-formula movies could have been, they turned out to be a mess because of FTDs desire to spread out the material over three different releases. The rough mixes and the final vocal of Let Us Pray is merely padding, and so, arguably, is much of the College medley as Elvis isn't on much of it.

There was no reason why these soundtracks, alongside Live a Little and/or Stay Away Joe couldn't have been presented as a double CD set, containing the masters and then the best of the alternates - and it would have been a better deal for fans too (or perhaps that was the issue). Yes, that would have meant leaving out some alternates (but not many if you stuck to movie songs), but it would also have left the door open for a release mopping up the rest, perhaps relating to Almost in Love or Let's Be Friends (or even Flaming Star) in the future (if fans really must have every scrap of every session).

Somewhere, someone forgot about the fact that discs need to be sequenced in an enjoyable way.

EPA4368, PepiJean, DirkM and 3 others like this.
  9. shanebrown

Disjointed, yes. But I'm not sure about it being uneven. The sound and style over those twelve tracks is more coherent than many albums pulled together from a single set of sessions. The final formula movies aside, Elvis was recording well during 1966-1969 when these tracks were put down, and the material was also better than it had been since probably 1961.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  10. And yet I prefer them by song and take #. The 'skip' and or 'random play' button is your friend otherwise. Although I will say I wish FTD sequenced each track individually (as opposed to multiple takes in a single CD track) to make re-sequencing a heck of a lot more easier.

PepiJean and mark winstanley like this.
  11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

To me the sit-down shows were the highlight of the comeback special... they were riveting and filled with energy and emotion. And Tiger Man is a highlight of those shows. An amazing performance.

It might be worth discussing a side issue here: There is some fan speculation about whether Elvis made a recording of Tiger Man at Sun which was either lost or destroyed. The basis of the speculation is Elvis' onstage comments at several of his 1969-70 shows. Elvis would typically introduce the medley of Tiger Man and Mystery Train by saying it was “one of the first records I ever made” or on some occasions as “the second record I ever made.” I believe on at least one occasion he used that phrase (“second record I ever made” before just doing Tiger Man (and no Mystery Train). This has led to speculation about the possible existence of a lost recording.

Arguments against this possibility:
    1. There is no studio documentation of the recording of this track, as there is with other lost Sun recordings like "I Got a Woman" and "Satisfied."
    2. Scotty Moore was asked about this on more than one occasion and said he did not recall ever recording "Tiger Man."
    3. I don't think Sam Phillips was ever directly asked about it, but he also never mentioned the existence of such a recording.
    4. If such a recording existed, it seems likely Phillips would have wanted to release it, as he was co-writer of the song and would have stood to make royalties on the sales.
    5. If it was an unreleased track, why would Elvis refer to it as "the second record I ever made."

I tend to come down on the side of believing the song was not recorded at Sun, and that Elvis was likely referring to "Mystery Train," mistakenly misremembering it as his second record. Elvis made lots of mistakes in his onstage comments... he was hardly consistently accurate when he talked about his own history. Of course there is no way to prove a negative, so the situation will likely never be resolved for certain unless recording is someday found.

12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am in total agreement with you as the sit-down shows were among the most powerful and amazing performances I have ever scene. Those intimate sit-down shows have been copied and mimicked by an array of popular recording acts over the years, but the rawness and passion of Elvis's vocals have never been matched in my opinion. Oh yeah, his guitar playing wasn't too shabby either.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If I had been the director, the comeback special would have opened with Guitar Man, closed with If I Can Dream, and the rest of it simply would have been the sit-down shows. It’s self-evident to say so, but the sit-down segments invented the Unplugged and VH1 Storytellers concepts that would become so huge in the 90s. And unlike the Beatles a year later, Elvis truly “got back” to his roots in the sit-down shows.

The weak link of the special, in my opinion, is the stand up black leather segments where Elvis prowls around singing to pre-recorded or offstage backing. Those segments don’t work for me, and border on cheesy. The sit-down performances, on the other hand, are as good as it gets.

PepiJean and mark winstanley like this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Chaos in the hive.

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Another possibility is that Elvis did actually play around with Tiger Man and Mystery Train at the same time while working out the arrangements with the boys since the two songs are so similar. When recording was commenced, it may have just been decided that Mystery Train worked better as a recording at the time. Phillips was following up the hit That's All Right but he could still have no idea how big Elvis was going to be. Seems Elvis preferred Tiger Man to Mystery Train in the TV special but that could be that he was really living those lyrics at the time by finally being able to cut loose and perform songs that he loved. If a tape is ever found of Elvis singing Tiger Man at Sun, I'm sure all Elvis fans would rejoice and open our wallets once again.

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

ELVIS - NBC - TV SPECIAL
    (US) RCA LPM 4088
    Released: November 22, 1968

Recorded June 20–29, 1968
    Genre Rock and roll
    Length 44:27
    Label RCA Victor
    Producer Bones Howe, Steve Binder

Elvis is a live album by American rock and roll singer Elvis Presley, released by RCA Records in December 1968.[6] It was recorded from his 1968 Elvis special in Burbank, California at Western Recorders on June 20, 21, 22 and 23, 1968, and at NBC Studios (Burbank) on June 27 and 29, 1968. It peaked at #8 on the Billboard 200. It was certified Gold on July 22, 1969 and Platinum on July 15, 1999 by the RIAA.

The live album from the Elvis special is the audio-only version of the special, and consists of a mixture of studio and live recordings, the live material itself a mixture of "sit-down" tracks with a small group and "stand-up" tracks with an orchestra.[7]

Unlike the drudgery of the feature film soundtrack recordings, Presley was genuinely excited by the project.[8] For the album, the musical format presented Presley in three different settings: production numbers featuring medleys of his material; an informal small band featuring full songs in front of a live audience; and the two original numbers with Presley backed by an orchestra in front of a live audience.[9] The two ballad tracks from this album were issued as singles. "If I Can Dream" being released earlier in the month, backed on the B-side with a song from his movie in theaters at the time, Live a Little, Love a Little, making it a double promotion on one record. It peaked at #12 on the Billboard Hot 100, his highest charting single since 1965.[10] "Memories" was released over two months after the broadcast, backed with the title song to his next film, Charro!.[10] By making it to the top ten on the album chart after his previous album had charted at a dismal #82, this LP resuscitated his recording career at a time when it seemed practically moribund.[11] Presley insisted the mono mixes for these songs were retained for the album.[12]

on June 27, 1968

Side 1
    Trouble / Guitar Man ***
    Lawdy Miss Clawdy *
    Baby, What You Want Me To Do *

Dialogue
    Heartbreak Hotel **
    Hound Dog **
    All Shook Up **
    Can't Help Falling In Love **
    Jailhouse Rock **
    Don't Be Cruel **
    (Bonus Track 1991 Release)
    Blue Suede Shoes **
    Love Me Tender **

Side 2
    Gospel Medley: Where Could I Go But To The Lord ****
    Up Above My Head ****
    Saved ***

Dialogue
    Baby, What You Want Me To Do (Reprise) * (Bonus Track 1991 Release)
    That's All Right *
    Blue Christmas *
    One Night *
    Tiger Man *
    Trying To Get To You *
    Memories *******

Dialogue
    Road Medley: Nothingville ****
    Big Boss Man *****
    Let Yourself Go *****
    It Hurts Me *****
    Guitar Man ****
    Little Egypt ****
    Trouble ****
    Guitar Man ****
    If I Can Dream ******

-----------------------------------------------------

This album has come out in a few variations now. I like the album, but for me this is all about the Deluxe dvd these days.
    I seem to remember seeing this on tv in Australia in the late seventies or early eighties, and the acting sequence seemed strange to me, and didn't really make much sense, but I was probably about 8 or 9 years old, if it was shown in the terribly sad 77 aftermath (which is the most likely scenario)
    I liked it, but it was unusual to me.
    When I saw the sit down special years later, it reignited a love for Elvis that had somewhat drifted away with the bad propaganda that had been generated about him. I saw the sit down special and was blown away by how good Elvis was. As a teen that played guitar, I had come to the co0nclusion that Elvis was one of those guitar mimes that holds but doesn't and/or can't play the guitar .... due to movies, seventies footage etc etc .... but in the sit down special he really has his finger on the pulse, and really may as well have been sitting there on his own. It is a truly brilliant performance and no fan of live music should go through life without seeing it (even if they are dubious about whether Elvis is any good or not)
    Anyone that watches the sit down shows and still doesn't think Elvis is great, just doesn't like real music.

So far as the album goes, I think it sounds pretty average, and it has never appealed to me because of the way it sounds, though I must say the 4cd set sounds a bit better. I have never been a fan of mixed sonic beds, and the movie sequence sounds too far removed from the sit down and stand up specials for it to work on an album basis for me. The video is magnificent and essential viewing, but from an album perspective, it always disappoints me a little, but everyone has their own take on what an album should sound like so that isn't law.

I like the stand up show, but it takes a back seat to the sit down show. I think in reality they were creating something with enough facets to appeal to the broadest range of people to try and recapture an audience that had been burnt out on cheap n nasty movies, with cheap n nasty soundtracks. We are rebuilding the giant seems to be the mentality and as far as I'm concerned, they did ..... and I actually don't hate the soundtracks.

On the whole, this was startling success and put Elvis back on the agenda.... and for that I am so thankful, and hopefully when they revisit RIAA awards, I will find that From Elvis In Memphis is 10x platinum and the world will be well.

I know we have already started talking about this album/special, and that's cool, but feel free to continue and let the good times roll baby.

Cheers
    Mark

Iceman08, Mylene, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  17. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

The sitdown shows are without a doubt not only the highlights of the 68 TV special but also from Elvis' whole career. There are just as good and as exciting as the early Sun sides. Those performances are just timeless and they remain today the best way to explain what was all the fuss about Elvis Presley as he is truely at his peak. Favorite segments - that still blow me away every single time I watch them - would be TIGER MAN (of course) but also TRYING TO GET TO YOU and LAWDY MISS CLAWDY (from the second show) + BABY WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO and ONE NIGHT (OF SIN WITH YA, from the first one.) At that time, on those particular concerts, Presley was second to none.

About an early TIGER MAN recording: I want to believe that there was some work done on it but that, at the end, it was discarded and, just like SATISFIED and I GOT A WOMAN, got lost or even destroyed to save some space on those expensive studio tapes. Still, an out-take of it would be for me the holly grail of rock'n'roll music (next to that "Pied Pipper" lost footage from 1955.)

Iceman08, Tord, GillyT and 5 others like this.
  18. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Although I am spellbound by the sit down performances, I have to disagree. I also enjoy the stand up segment and production numbers. Binder is presenting Elvis to the public again just like in the 50's as a showcase saying "This is what I can do!". The opening of "Trouble" hooks me in every time. The sit down segments take me back to his early years and show that Elvis himself is really what made his music work. The added accompaniment was just icing on an already wonderful cake. In the stand up segment, Elvis is representing his big success after leaving Sun. Every song is a pure gold but they are not just stale oldies. The wonderful arrangements make the songs fresh and new again. They sound like they could have been released that year. We then get to the gospel segment. A little over the top with the dancing and choreography but it does convey how the gospel music especially motivated a young Elvis and still did to that day. Then more sit down performances. This time around, Elvis is letting us sit in on his recording session. House lights are low and there's no glitz, just Elvis putting it on the record. It's a shame that the unedited Nothingville/bordello sequence was cut because Binder ties up what he has been presenting to this point. A man that came from out of nowhere with a sexual appeal that exited many and made others want him gone ( police whistles and Elvis running for the door after connecting en masse and then one on one with the women after singing Let Yourself Go). Then the Big Boss Man song where Elvis literally has to fight "The Man" to get his mojo back at least IMO from those years in syrupy movies. The dancing gang right in the middle of It Hurts Me without Elvis there to represent the years he was AWOL from the rapid changes going on in music and culture without him. The Little Egypt segment that represents the sexual revolution taking place. Now he quietly starts back into the song, Trouble. Then the struggle to find his way back to where he wanted to be with the second time Trouble is played but not rockin' like it was at the opener. The passion was a hit and miss from those dramatized performances. After a long struggle to reclaim himself, he's finally "back on track" when they cut to Elvis in black leather doing the TV special. Finally it wraps with a triumphant Elvis that has reclaimed himself and now had something to say about the future with If I Can Dream. He's saying that despite the uncertainty of past events, things are going to different from now on. The way the special interlaced Elvis' life, music, and the times was pure genius. I only wished they had shot ten times as much footage that could be viewed today.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Iceman08, BeatleJWOL, Tord and 8 others like this.
  19. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The album had an LPM prefix but even though Trouble/Guitar, the Gospel Medley and the Road medley are the only true stereo tracks, the mono tracks are actually stereo re-channeled on the original vinyl release. It was probably fixed when it came out on cd.

The best way to hear this album is the recreated version on The Complete Masters and the Franklin Mint sets. The live segments were recreated from the superior sources which was first used on the Tiger Man and Memories cds from the late 90s. Memories and I I Can Dream were the stereo remixes.

Unfortunately, Sony has gone back to using the album master. It's used on The Complete 68 Comeback Special box, The Album Collection and the FTD from 2016. There is nothing wrong with the mastering on those sets but the version that was created when Sony remastered the catalog in 2007 sounds much better.

Revelator, GillyT, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  20. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

ClauseH, I was wondering about this myself since the Tiger Man cd is highly recommended. Just for clarification, if I already have The Complete Masters set and the '68 Comeback box set, I essentially have the recommended masters from the Tiger Man and Memories CDs?

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It's more complicated than that. The sitdown shows on Tiger Man and Memories are complete. The versions on the Complete 68 Comeback Special box are mastered better but some dialog has been edited out in order to fit them onto the discs.
    Memories also contains the live vocal of If I Can Dream which was used in the Special, it's not available anywhere else.
    So you still need Tiger Man and Memories.

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I really appreciate you guys sharing all the knowledge you have in these things.

Thank you very much, sincerely

GillyT, RSteven and Dave112 like this.
  23. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Ain't that the truth with an Elvis collection! There's only two rock acts that I devote this much trouble to building a top notch CD collection (I'll bet you can easily name them). Thank you for the information ClausH! I learn so much from reading these posts. Only problem is that I see that my collection isn't quite so complete yet. I hear that announcement in my head again "Your money has left the building!" Lol

24. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

I remember taping the Aloha special with a cassette recorder and a mic held up to the TV. I had always wondered when that was, as I was three in 1973. Thanks to this thread I know it must've been the repeat showing after his death.

I was 7 when Elvis died, and while Freddie Prinze was the first celebrity death I recall, I remember I was amazed by how affected people were by Rlvis' death, including my mom, who was a first generation fan.

25. For me, the sit down shows, and particularly the first sit down show, are the greatest live performances by anyone, ever in popular music. If I had a time machine and could see one concert, this would be it. The exact timing is a blur, but I saw the sit-down show for the first time when it was released on home video. And then getting The Memphis Record on CD within a year or so of that was like a one-two punch that brought me back to being an Elvis fan after becoming disengaged for several years.

At one pint I had a co-worker who was in the audience for the stand-up shows. Even though she wasn’t a big Elvis fan, she was absolutely astonished at the performance. I used to kid her on how jealous I was that she got to attend.

Iceman08, BeatleJWOL, Tord and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.