Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Trouble/ Guitar Man
    Western Recorders, Burbank, June 22, 1968

So the special starts off with Elvis Staring with intent at the camera and singing Trouble (one of my all time favourites, and doing it well) then with a little bit of a segue written we move into a poppin version of Guitar Man.
    This is a really good way to open the special, and I'm sure some folks wondered how they had missed the song Guitar Man. As soon as this show started, seeds were being planted in the listeners minds about "Why had they stopped buying Elvis albums"

BeatleJWOL, Diego Lucas, Tord and 6 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

Lawdy Miss Clawdy
    NBC Sound Studios, Burbank, June 27, 1968 8pm Show

The first thing that strikes me about this every time, is how much fun Elvis is having. Pulling funny little faces, smiling and just having a great time. He more than nails the song, a favourite of his I believe, but he nails it while having a laugh and a smile.... that in itself is a beautiful thing.

Iceman08, Tord, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  3. mark winstanley

Baby What You Want Me To Do
    NBC Sound Studios, Burbank, June 27, 1968 (Version 2 6pm Show)

This seemed almost like the theme song for the sit down shows ... I guess Elvis wanted to make sure that some version of this made it onto the special. There is nothing particularly special about this song, it is fairly simple lyrically and musically, but as with most of the stuff on this show (included and outtakes) there is an intensity that lifts it beyond itself.

Diego Lucas, Tord, Spencer R and 4 others like this.
  4. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

The opening was huge and talked about for weeks, after the Special aired. Its funny you bring up how many missed Guitar Man, because a few DJs brought up the Clambake album.

There was a surge in demand for Elvis' albums... Golden/Gold Records compilations being at the top and it being the holiday season, always can count on Elvis' Christmas Album.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    RSteven, Shawn, Dave112 and 1 other person like this.
  5. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I think it has something to do with the horn arrangements. To my ears they have a similar sound to mid/late sixties TV themes.

6. mark winstanley

7. mark winstanley

Oct 10 1967
    Clambake - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Guitar Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    full take with What's I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Clambake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Who Needs Money Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 House That Has Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Confidence Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Hey Hey Hey Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 You Don'tKnow Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Girl I Never Loved Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 How Can You Lose What You Never Had Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Big Boss Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Singing Tree Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Just Call Me Lonesome Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 3 1968
    Guitar Man/ Hi Heeled Sneakers Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 22 1968
    Elvis Golden Records Vol 4

Feb 27 1968
    U.S. Male/Stay Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 26 1968
    You'll Never Walk Alone/ We Call On Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 21 1968
    Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby/ Let Yourself Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 26 1968
    Speedway
    track 1 Speedway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 There Ain't Nothing Like A Song Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Who Are you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 He's Your Uncle Not Your Dad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Let Yourself Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Your Groovy Self Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Five Sleepy heads Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Western union Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Goin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Suppose Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sept 3 1968
    Almost In Love/A Little Less Conversation Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 29 1968 (two days before my actual birth :) )
    If I Can Dream/ Edge Of Reality Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1968
    SINGER PRESENTS ELVIS SINGING FLAMING STAR AND OTHERS - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Flaming Star Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

track 2 Wonderful World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Night Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 All I Needed Was The Rain Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Too Much Monkey Business Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Yellow Rose Of Texas/ Eyes Of Texas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 She's A Machine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Do The Vega Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Tiger Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 22 1968
    Elvis - NBC TV special
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Trouble/Guitar Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Lawdy Miss Clawdy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Baby What You Want Me To Do Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Misc reference
    Press conference Mar 7 1960 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview August 1962 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    interview 72 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Rare Footage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

The missing album "For The Asking" Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties thanks @czeskleba

Ginny Tui Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

news clipping Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Elvis may have told a lie to two to Priscilla about whether or not he boinked Ann Margaret though (and hundreds of others).

9. mark winstanley

I think we may be getting carried away with the Elvis was a liar thing ... That's between God and Elvis, and for all our speculation, we have no idea if he knowingly just lied, or if he was just one of those folks that didn't have total clarity in these things.
    With the whirlwind of activity between 54 and 60, at the very least, it is very easy to see that some things could become very cloudy. I'm a truck driver ... I am the biggest recording star that ever walked the earth, is a pretty big change, and would have involved a lot of mind numbing details between all the gigs, tv shows, recording sessions, movies, interviews, groupies .... it is a ride only the guy on it would be able to understand.
    As for Elvis and girls ... well a young man put in the position of being the biggest sex symbol music had ever produced .... I can't say I would have handled it any better. When you really like females, you really like females ... I'm not condoning his actions, but I am certainly not going to judge them.
    As a teen, and even a young man in my twenties, I would have found it very hard to knock back ladies wanting my attention.

10. SKATTERBRANE

Since I bought my first Elvis LP in 1968 (Gold V 4) and by the time the TV Special came out I had only accomplished buying the other three volumes of Golden Records, His Hand In Mine, How Great Thou Art, Loving You, Elvis Presley, Spinout, Clambake, Speedway, and Elvis For Everyone. King Creole had yet to be put on TV and I did not have the King Creole LP nor For LP Fans Only LP (both on my Christmas list but I got another Gold V4 and Elvis (2nd) LP instead). So I had not even heard Trouble or Lawdy Miss Clawdy yet.

But man what an opening. You know that Maxell magazine ad where a guy who is sitting in a chair in front of his speakers and his hair is being blown back? Well that was me when the TV Special opened. After seeing so many Elvis movies, I was expecting an Andy Williams, or Perry Como style TV Special.--Merry Christmas and eggnog, people dancing around in snowman costumes and manger scenes, and a handful of guest stars.

Iceman08, BeatleJWOL, Dave112 and 3 others like this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

I agree, I am not judging Elvis' relationships, I am just saying if Elvis lied, that was probably when he did. Heck, I KNOW I would have done the same thing. I have been TRYING to do the same thing with an incredibly high failure rate.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  12. mark winstanley

hahahah I can totally see and understand that mate :)

RSteven likes this.
  13. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Well said, Mark

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

lol, by the time I was really hitting the pub and club scene with a band, I was with someone, and I was a good boy .... you don't have to be famous, you just need a guitar and a stage to be approached lol .... it is a very weird thing to me

RSteven likes this.
  15. Elvis foresaw the Internet and though, ‘boy, I’m really gonna mess with those guys 50 years from now by saying I recorded Tiger Man at Sun. Eight commandment be damned.’

16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

The opening Trouble/Guitar Man medley never fails to amaze me. Stupendous to say the least. Elvis and that glorious red guitar look sensational and the big brass arrangement of the whole medley is robust and Elvis's powerful voice more that holds its own against that big orchestral sound. I would not change a thing about it. All the various Elvis's in the background mimicking the iconic scene in Jailhouse Rock to some degree are terrific as well.

Baby What You Want Me To Do was Elvis's go-to song throughout the sit-down segment and he never fails to sing or play it enthusiastically. If I am remembering it correctly, director Steve Binder told Elvis to go to it automatically or one of his other favorites, if or when he ran out of things to say to the audience or had a brain freeze, so it was both his security blanket as well as a song he was crazy about. I believe he and Ann Margaret sang parts of it when they were sneaking into his house in Beverly Hills, while dating back in the 60's.

I know @SKATTERBRANE made the very reasonable suggestion that he thought it would have been nice to have a real drum kit on stage instead of DJ having to bang on the back of a guitar case, and of course for sheer music production concerns he is right, but there is something about the rawness and intimacy of the whole set-up that is riveting, and we all know that Binder was doing his level best to create the natural and organic informal jams that Elvis and the boys were doing for their own pleasure in his dressing room, so I think the director made the right call on this one too.

I also will defend Billy Goldenberg's great orchestrations on the stand-up segments as he certainly brought a different and very gritty sound to those songs that Elvis himself would use a template for some of his live performances in Las Vegas with Bobby Morris in 1969. He came to the show with a very different view of Elvis than what one might expect from a sophisticated and well trained conductor/arranger, and note how he seems to understand the rawness and complexity of Elvis's personality a lot better than some of his Hollywood directors and producers did. Here is Goldenberg's direct quote from Jerry Hopkins' original first bio on Elvis in 1971 about what he felt was misunderstood about Elvis's personality and why those orchestrations actually have such an edge to them:

"The one thing I've always felt about Elvis is that there was something very raw and basically sexual and mean," says Billy. "There's a cruelty involved, there's a meanness, there's a basic sadistic quality about what he does, which is attractive. You know the story in Cold Blood? I've Always felt Elvis could play one of those guys, that he is that kind of person. Most of Elvis's movies have shown him as the nice guy, the hero, but really that is not where he shines best. He's excited by certain kinds of violent things. The karate is just one example. It's all over him. I thought, if there is a way we can get this feeling in the music..."

BeatleJWOL, Mylene, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm sure he lied sometimes in his life. Everybody lies sometimes. I was just saying that I don't think his onstage comments in which he deliberately alters or distorts his life story should be classified as lies. I believe he did it deliberately (ie, he wasn't just mixed up or misremembering) but I do not believe his intent in doing it was to deceive people. Hence, they shouldn't be called lies.

18. mark winstanley

Don't underestimate the effect of pharmaceuticals. They had my wife on a ton of them and she has whole years that are foggy or completely forgotten. My understanding is Elvis was on quite a few and that would suggest to me that it would be very difficult for him to have decent, never mind good mental functionality. It's remarkable that he even remembered the words to songs, based on what the popular opinion of his usage is at least.

RSteven likes this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Elvis wasn't on a ton of pharmaceuticals in 1969. He was certainly using stuff at times, but not to the point that it was impairing his functioning to any degree. I know I'm beating this into the ground, but all I'm saying is that:
    1. There were instances in which he very clearly was deliberately altering details about his life story in his onstage comments. For example, there's no way he could have been so confused as to misremember and conflate his solo recording of My Happiness/That's When Your Heartaches with the group recording of That's All Right. He obviously knew the real story but he intentionally changed it.
    2. Those instances of altering his history should not be classified as "lies" because his intention was not to deceive the audience. His intention was merely to simplify the story so it would be entertaining, and he likely thought that getting bogged down in a lot of precise details would make the story less entertaining. But he could have cared less if the audience found out the real truth. By contrast, his later onstage comments about not being "strung out" I would classify as lies, because in that case his intention was to deceive, and he did care whether or not the audience knew the real truth.

Revelator and RSteven like this.
  20. mark winstanley

I think the My Happiness thing just has a more romantic feel about the made up idea.

RSteven likes this.
  21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Baby What You Want Me To Do is like That’s All Right, Mama at Sun: somehow Elvis takes the simplest building blocks of blues/rock music and builds something transcendent out of them. He can’t play guitar, yet here he plays guitar better than anyone else. This performance is a testament to his passion, feel, charisma, whatever you want to call it, and stands out more powerfully than ever in this age of perfect plastic artificial pop played on computers.

22. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I agree 100%. Johnny Cash used to say that Elvis was a great rhythm guitar player or, at least, a much better one than what people used to think. That is cristal clear when you see him performing Baby What You Want Me To Do back in 1968. Basic Blues, magic Rock'n'roll.

23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

True enough, and he played a lot of decent rhythm guitar in the studio on a lot of his early records, such as on Reconsider Baby, but what is even more amazing is that for most of the entire sit-down performance on the 68 Special, Elvis is actually playing lead guitar as he had swapped out guitars with Scotty Moore after performing That's All Right Mama. It was kind of a stunner for fans who saw the Special many years later and thought Elvis merely used the guitar as a prop for the most part, after seeing him perform in the 70's, which indeed was usually the case by then.

Iceman08, BeatleJWOL, Tord and 2 others like this.
  24. mark winstanley

It isn't essentially lead guitar, but in context they are very effective fills.

As you say though, for someone like me that essentially thought the guitar was always just a prop, he shows himself to be very capable of accompanying himself, and even put in a few flourishes... it was a shock

25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

So Mark, I guess the real difference to us fans who are not musicians is the fact that Elvis was now playing an electric guitar instead of his usual acoustic. Do I have that right?

mark winstanley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.