Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I love your outstanding sense of humor almost as much as I admire your great taste in appreciating this great song by Elvis.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

So once again on this stellar album, Elvis and the arrangements and production for the songs seem like they are ahead of the music curve instead of behind it for a change.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  3. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

GENTLE ON MY MIND

Now, this is a(-n other) masterpiece from those sessions. First of all, it's so different from the Hatford straight Bluegrass performance or Campbell's Country Rock approach: here, Elvis makes it not only slower but also souler, giving some depth to those great lyrics. The background vocals are very soulful too and the whole vibe reminds me those songs you would like to listen to during a long travel on a motorcycle on the motorway. It's got that Nilsson's EVERYBODY'S TALKING feeling (or, for a more recent experience, Springsteen's HELLO SUNSHINE.) The tempo, the band and Presley have are all in perfect timing, complementing each others plain perfectly. It's a wonderful recording, a subtle one too.

4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I agree and a truly great comparison with Bruce Springsteen's best new song in many a moon, Hello Sunshine. Nice job with that suggestion. I am planning on buying Springsteen's upcoming album just based on how much I like the new song, and the only other Springsteen album I own is his greatest hits collection. So this style of song, with its clear heritage to Glen Campbell/Jimmy Webb, came as quite a surprise to me.

mark winstanley and PepiJean like this.
  5. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I had lost a little bit of my Springsteen obsession after "Magic". HELLO SUNSHINE brought it back with a vengeance. Can't wait to get the new album!

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

To take a dissenting view from most of you... Gentle on My Mind is the one song on this record I do not much like. It was clearly a really popular song back then, and it's probably the single most-covered of all the songs Elvis did at American. Everybody did it, but I've yet to hear a version I like. Musically, it does not connect with me at all. And the lyrics embody that "I'm a rambling guy, I can't be tied to one woman" ode to irresponsibility that was such a popular theme during that era. Elvis' version is okay... his vocal is decent but the arrangement is plodding and kind of corny, and I don't feel like there's any emotion or depth in the performance. This is one of my least-favorite tracks from the American sessions period, so I'm surprised it made this album and that it's so well-liked by many.

Spencer R, DirkM and mark winstanley like this.
  7. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

In one of the YouTube clips with Glen, he said he didn't like Elvis' version because it was too slow.

[​IMG]

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I pretty much figured out ahead of time that this had to be your least favorite song on the album. I figured it was this song or I'm Movin' On as those two songs are kind of the most atypical country versions on the whole album. I also appreciate your criticism of the "rambling guy" sentiment in the lyrics. I still love the song or perhaps more correctly, I love the way that Elvis's uses his lower register in a very distinct and intimate way to express the melancholy nature of the song. It is definitely a very funky sounding song in the Elvis cannon with that D-6 clavinet really standing out as @mark winstanley pointed out in his post. I am almost surprised about how much I like it given its funky production, and it is also a somewhat rare case, where I differ with your usually impeccable taste in Elvis's music.:D

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I love Elvis’ rendition of Gentle On My Mind, a soulful and passionate vocal performance I never get tired of hearing. His reading and interpretation of the song is outstanding, at least to these ears.

I do, however, take issue with any Springsteen comparisons. Hello Sunshine is an interesting and enjoyable track, and sounds like a breath of fresh air compared to his output over the past decade, but nothing about it comes close to the stellar work Elvis delivered on From Elvis In Memphis.

Iceman08, Mylene, The Killer and 3 others like this.
  10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm not fond of Elvis' version, but Campbell's is much worse. He sounds about as emotional as if he's reading from the phonebook. Elvis should have whacked him with that flashlight.

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I enjoy Glen Campbell’s version, but I think Elvis elevates the song (which probably isn’t saying much because it is a song you are not particularly fond of).

BeatleJWOL, EPA4368, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Ha, I guess my tastes are getting predictable. I will say that although I didn't comment on I'm Movin' On, I absolutely love what Elvis did with it. It's a great song in its original form, but Elvis' rearrangement is creative and exciting. I do not mind a radical rearrangement of a song when it's a great song and the arrangement works. Gentle On My Mind is a song I plain do not like, so the deck was pretty heavily stacked against Elvis having a chance to make something out of it that I might enjoy.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Same here

RSteven likes this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I would not say your tastes are necessarily predictable at all, but to me they are very sophisticated and eclectic from what I have read so far from many of your stellar posts. Actually, I would have never been able to narrow your least favorite songs on From Elvis To Memphis, if you had not said there was a least favorite song of Elvis's on the album for you. Since I have gotten to know your splendid choices throughout this great thread, and to a large degree, I have I found we have very similar, if not identical tastes in music, I went to the two songs that I thought were somewhat outliers on this album. I mean, Elvis really takes I'm Movin' On in a completely different direction than Hank Snow had with his original, and once again I agree with you, Elvis did a great job with it, and perhaps equally important, the band and Chips as well. That leaves us with Gentle On My Mind, a song I never really cared for either, until I heard Elvis's completely funky remix of the song. It almost sounds in an indirect way like what Elvis did with Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain, so many years later during the Jungle Room sessions. So, it was kind of a process of elimination to narrow it down to your least favorite song on the album. I knew the other ten songs on the album were too damn good for you to not like.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    czeskleba and mark winstanley like this.
  15. mark winstanley

After Loving You
    Written By :
    Eddie Miller & Johnny Lantz

Recorded :

American Studios, Memphis, February 17-22, 1969 : February 18, 1969. take 4

I love the guitar at the start and then Elvis comes in singing and clapping and banging and he seems to be into it from the get go.
    This track actually reminds me of something he would have done in the early fifties, but slightly more gritty.
    Does anyone have a story that tells us how and why the hand clapping eventuated?
    Anyway ..
    This to me is just another stellar performance, and again, Elvis squeezes every drop of himself into this. I think this is accentuated by the album track order. We have Gentle On My Mind smoothly bouncing along, and then we move to this track, which is somewhat more traditional rock and roll, and Elvis is pushing and pulling at it with all he has.
    Elvis pulls out some effective rasp that really pulls this song up into contention for one of the best on the album. The thing about this album is that as I listen to it, just about each song as it comes up is standing up as a possible best song on the album ... Whereas with the soundtracks, we were often left feeling that the good song would be coming up soon, here we have a scenario where there are so many good songs and great performances that it is almost overwhelming.

16. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

AFTER LOVING YOU
    Can't add much more to your description. That track reminds me of the TV Special Elvis: he could have sung it between ONE NIGHT and TRYING TO GET TO YOU. It's got a nice 50's R&B vibe combined with Elvis gritty voice. I tend to listen more often to the out-take #2 as heard on the 1999 compilation "Suspicious Minds": a little bit more rough and unpolished but still spectacular. ("Elvis' gonna play the piano!...")

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

After Loving You - another great song form the album. He finds the spirit of his great 50s Sun/early RCA sides. Very similar to "Love Me" of course.
    Gentle On My Mind - A good song and vocal but the whole thing is over arranged.

18. Libertine1967

Libertine1967 Well-Known Member

After Loving You is the type of song that Elvis excels on. I absolutely love it. It’s one of those songs that I think he would have struck gold on whatever period of his career he was singing it!

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  19. mark winstanley

20. mark winstanley

Oct 10 1967
    Clambake - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Guitar Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    full take with What's I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Clambake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Who Needs Money Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 House That Has Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Confidence Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Hey Hey Hey Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 You Don'tKnow Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Girl I Never Loved Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 How Can You Lose What You Never Had Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Big Boss Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Singing Tree Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Just Call Me Lonesome Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 3 1968
    Guitar Man/ Hi Heeled Sneakers Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 22 1968
    Elvis Golden Records Vol 4

Feb 27 1968
    U.S. Male/Stay Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 26 1968
    You'll Never Walk Alone/ We Call On Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 21 1968
    Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby/ Let Yourself Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 26 1968
    Speedway
    track 1 Speedway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 There Ain't Nothing Like A Song Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Who Are you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 He's Your Uncle Not Your Dad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Let Yourself Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Your Groovy Self Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Five Sleepy heads Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Western union Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Goin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Suppose Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sept 3 1968
    Almost In Love/A Little Less Conversation Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 29 1968 (two days before my actual birth :) )
    If I Can Dream/ Edge Of Reality Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1968
    SINGER PRESENTS ELVIS SINGING FLAMING STAR AND OTHERS - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Flaming Star Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Wonderful World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Night Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 All I Needed Was The Rain Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Too Much Monkey Business Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Yellow Rose Of Texas/ Eyes Of Texas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 She's A Machine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Do The Vega Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Tiger Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 22 1968
    Elvis - NBC TV special
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 1 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 3 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 4 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 5 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 26 1969 Memories/Charro

Mar 25 1969 His Hand In Mine/ How Great Thou Art

Mar 28 1969 (rerelease) Flaming Star

Apr 15 1969 In The Ghetto/Any Day Now

June 1969
    From Elvis In Memphis
    track 1 Wearin' That Loved On Look Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Only The Strong Survive Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 I'll Hold You In My Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Long Black Limousine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 It Keeps Right On a Hurtin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm Movin' On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Power Of My Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Gentle On My Mind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 After Loving You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Misc reference
    Press conference Mar 7 1960 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview August 1962 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    interview 72 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Rare Footage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

The missing album "For The Asking" Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties thanks @czeskleba

Ginny Tui Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

news clipping Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

21. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

The American Sound recording of After Loving You is good, but the home recording released on Platinum is the version that I really love. Elvis really gets into the lyrics (despite fooling around with them), and as always, his somewhat-uncertain piano playing makes everything even more emotional.

mark winstanley, RSteven and PepiJean like this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well, this really is a great follow-up to a song like One Night (Of Sin), when you think about it as does pack all the punch and power of that gem, along with a good share of raw sexuality and passion. Elvis had the hit version of the song by Della Reese in his rather large collection of 45's at Graceland and he had been putting this standard on his recording list for awhile now, so it is definitely one of his favorite songs ever. I was a little surprised to find out that he did not really copy her stellar version at all for his definitive take or anyone elses for that matter as far as I can tell.

Elvis seems to almost turn his version into a sort of blues/jazz hybrid mix to my ears. I mean that improvistional singing near the end, where he almost seems ready to scat like Ella Fitzgerald with his "I'm no good, no good, no good to any-a-one, after loving you," seems to my ears like as close as Elvis ever got to a that type of jazz vocalizing. One of my all time favorite recordings ever by Elvis.

As far as that hand clapping by Elvis is concerned, he does almost the same thing in between his piano playing on I'll Hold You In My Heart, so to me it seems like a spontaneous sort of gesture to fill in the musical gaps or emphasize his great enthusiasm for the song, especially while he is playing the piano.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Not much I can add about After Loving You that hasn't already been said. It's a session highlight, and really, a career highlight. I agree with everyone who's said it really captures the vibe of the sit-down sessions, particularly the bit at the end where Elvis seems to "refusing to let go" of the song, Fantastic stuff.

24. Very well said. I was going to type something along those lines but you said it better than I could. With Elvis, I can actually picture him being this guy, with the others no way.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  25. I still remember hearing ‘After Loving You’ for the first time and being impressed within the first few seconds. And like several (well, quite a few) of his other vocal performances, you think it’s awesome and then he unexpectedly shifts into even higher gear and takes it to somewhere you hadn’t even imagined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.