Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

That version is only available on a bootleg. It has not been released officially. It's the master with overdubs but without the vocal repairs.

Dave112, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Hey, we are in COMPLETE agreement there!!

Shaker Steve and mark winstanley like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I agree.

czeskleba and mark winstanley like this.
  4. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Hey! Leave my echoey U.S. Beatles albums alone! Love the U.K. mixes but the U.S. mixes are cool too!

5. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Thanks. I've never heard that mix before. That is one of my favorite Elvis songs so it blew me away!

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing that Shawn! That is one of my favorite Elvis songs and that mix is fantastic!

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Listening in the car, so not exactly perfect for proper hifi critique but ...
    The Memphis Album is really good. One thing it does tell me ....
    This material and performance is so good, the order doesnt really matter much.
    A couple of the mixes sound different, but nothing has bugged me as of yet.

SKATTERBRANE, Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  8. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Yep, and it opens with SIMOHT followed by ADN: what a nice running order in fact!

Shawn, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  9. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Considering it was the first track attempted on the 21st January, Elvis’ performance of Hey Jude was awful. It seems to me that he simply was not that interested in doing it, but then I am not aware he ever did a Beatles song with true conviction and got the lyrics or verses correct. But it wasn’t really a backing track as such as there were 7 vocal takes attempted and if they considered the song unfinished by Elvis, why would they spend time and money adding vocal overdubs three days later and finally adding string and horn overdubs on March 18/19th 1969. I believe that RCA or whoever deemed that the finished product with the lacklustre vocals and overall performance by Elvis with messed up lyrics were simply not good enough for release, period. Two years later when RCA were desperate for songs for the next album did it get pulled of the shelf and added to that hotch-potch album entitled Elvis Now. Whenever the song appears on a CD, I immediately reach for the "skip’ button when it starts.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  10. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Elvis could do a great live version of "Something" so having Elvis try " Hey Jude" seems like a great idea on paper. In reality, it didn't work. The vocals are off and the arrangement is off. I agree that he performs this like he doesn't want to do it. If it was a song that he really wanted to tackle, he would keep knocking away at it until he found an arrangement that worked well. I'm wondering if Elvis brought this in to record or Moman? I doubt the Colonel would want Elvis doing it since they had no publishing lock on it. As much as I like The Beatles' music, I don't see how any of their later catalog fits with the other songs recorded. That said, I would have loved to hear him take a crack at "Things We Said Today", "No Reply", "And I Love Her", and "I'll Cry Instead" from the earlier Beatles catalog.

BeatleJWOL and mark winstanley like this.
  11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

In the session logs the master take is designated "track only" so clearly they did not consider the vocal to be usable. There were seven takes attempted but the other six were false starts... Take seven was the only one in which they made it through the entire song, and they stopped there. Given the sloppiness of Elvis' vocal during the "na-na" portion at the end, it seems clear he was only recording a guide vocal with intent to replace it later (an approach taken on several other songs). Since the instrumental track was considered finished they went ahead and overdubbed it, but Elvis never got around to redoing the vocal.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! I just now discovered this thread and see that it's part 2. I'm not the biggest Elvis fan in the world, not by a long shot, but I like a lot of his songs. It's too late for me to go back and comment on all those singles now.:sigh:

Maybe it's for the best. I only discovered Elvis's music in the 90s. Before then, I knew "Suspicious Minds" and, and a couple of his 70s tunes from when I was a kid, but that's it.

13. mark winstanley

The Fifties Easy Reference guide
    Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

1959 - Feb 10 1964 - Reference guide -

April 1964 - Sept 1967

Oct 10 1967
    Clambake - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Guitar Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    full take with What's I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Clambake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Who Needs Money Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 House That Has Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Confidence Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Hey Hey Hey Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 You Don'tKnow Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Girl I Never Loved Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 How Can You Lose What You Never Had Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Big Boss Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Singing Tree Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Just Call Me Lonesome Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 3 1968
    Guitar Man/ Hi Heeled Sneakers Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 22 1968
    Elvis Golden Records Vol 4

Feb 27 1968
    U.S. Male/Stay Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 26 1968
    You'll Never Walk Alone/ We Call On Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 21 1968
    Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby/ Let Yourself Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 26 1968
    Speedway
    track 1 Speedway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 There Ain't Nothing Like A Song Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Who Are you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 He's Your Uncle Not Your Dad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Let Yourself Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Your Groovy Self Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Five Sleepy heads Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Western union Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Goin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Suppose Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sept 3 1968
    Almost In Love/A Little Less Conversation Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 29 1968 (two days before my actual birth :) )
    If I Can Dream/ Edge Of Reality Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1968
    SINGER PRESENTS ELVIS SINGING FLAMING STAR AND OTHERS - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Flaming Star Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Wonderful World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Night Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 All I Needed Was The Rain Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Too Much Monkey Business Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Yellow Rose Of Texas/ Eyes Of Texas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 She's A Machine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Do The Vega Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Tiger Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 22 1968
    Elvis - NBC TV special
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 1 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 3 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 4 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 5 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 26 1969 Memories/Charro

Mar 25 1969 His Hand In Mine/ How Great Thou Art

Mar 28 1969 (rerelease) Flaming Star

Apr 15 1969 In The Ghetto/Any Day Now

June 1969
    From Elvis In Memphis
    track 1 Wearin' That Loved On Look Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Only The Strong Survive Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 I'll Hold You In My Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Long Black Limousine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 It Keeps Right On a Hurtin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm Movin' On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Power Of My Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Gentle On My Mind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 After Loving You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Misc reference
    Press conference Mar 7 1960 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview August 1962 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    interview 72 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Rare Footage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

The missing album "For The Asking" Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties thanks @czeskleba

Ginny Tui Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

news clipping Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

It's never too late and we still have a long way to go. After the regular albums we will have the posthumous stuff and the FTD's

14. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It's a never ending thread. :)

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  15. mark winstanley

Perhaps lol :)

Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Any Day Now
    Written By :
    Burt Bacharach & Bob Hilliard

Recorded :

American Studios, Memphis, February 17-22, 1969 : February 21, 1969. take 6

So it is only just now that I see and realise that this is a Burt Bacharach song, that in itself explains why it is so well written. Often not my cup of tea as a writer, but this song is certainly fantastic.
    I know many folks prefer the undubbed masters, and I do understand that, but to me this arrangement with the strings and horns is a masterful piece of work.
    The music here is fantastic. We have a lovely descending string run punctuated by the horns, but also accentuating this is some great rhythm guitar work. The whole musical arrangement here enhances the track.
    Elvis' vocal is fantastic, we have great phrasing and a total immersion in the whole feel of the track. Just like the rest of these remarkable sessions Elvis is right in the groove.
    The song has a slightly unusual arrangement for the time. I'm not altogether sure the song has a traditional chorus, as it seems to be a verse/chorus situation where they are one thing.... it seems more like there is a verse with a single line that works as an emphasis point rather than a chorus, but there is a bridge "I know I shouldn't want to keep you..." ... and another thing here is the wonderful pause before this section of vocal comes in. This leads to a final verse/chorus, that starts of as a reflective quiet section and rolls back up to the fully engaged piece.
    I can certainly understand why this is many people's favourite Elvis track, as it is just such a well written, arranged and performed track, it has so much going for it, it is hard to resist. They may even be folk that aren't fans of Elvis that may like this track .... idk ... There is a great dynamic, and the majority of the song is uptempo and bright, in spite of the subject matter, and highlighted by that wonderful bridge, that give us a slight respite before bouncing back into the rest of the song. All of this is capped off by the plea "Don't fly away my beautiful bird" which again in a marvelous piece of writing, or perhaps adlibbing on Elvis part, bookends the opening lines "then my wild beautiful bird, you will have flown"
    I am not bold enough to say this is my favourite song on this album, or even the sessions, but that is purely in light of the fact that I find all this material to be sensational. This truly is, to me, one of the most legendary and brilliant recording sessions ever held, and the resultant albums, even if they didn't sell ten million copies each, even though they should have, are true classics that any music lover with a broad palette should have and enjoy with a passion.

Iceman08, Mylene, Revelator and 4 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

By the way mate, thanks for encouraging me to get the Memphis Record... It is somewhat how I think the album should have come out in the first place. One can quibble over track order and such, but I feel the album should have been a double and included the singles. With an album/session of material this good, I don't think anyone would moan about having bought the singles and the album.

Dave112, artfromtex, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Well, Elvis did record It Won’t Be Long, Tell Me Why, I’ll Be Back and It’s Only Love.

Only not the Lennon-McCartney versions. ;)

Iceman08, Dave112, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  19. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

After the useless attempt on Take 1 which was complete, or as complete as you could get, Elvis should have given up there and then. Clearly, he had no idea of the lyrics, so the follow on Takes were a complete waste of time. Someone should have raised the red flag by the end of Take 2 which was a LFS. I am not aware there is any evidence that Elvis was going to return to this song at a later stage ~ if Elvis was in love with a song, he would see it through or definitely return to it until he got a completely satisfactory take for record release, so clearly there was no real inspiration it getting a superb master. I believe he just went through the motions of attempting to record a song that nearly every other big artist was attempting to cover at the time and he felt there were other songs he could record instead at these sessions.

Personally, I have never believed that Elvis had any real passion for doing songs made by The Beatles ~ on Something, his versions were lacklustre.....he messed the lyrics and verses up both in 1970 and 1973 and Lady Madonna was the usual "time wasting goofing around in the studio " kind of thing that Elvis got a kick out of doing. I really do wonder how much time was lost and wasted at his sessions in the 70s when he could have been recording decent songs so that Jarvis and RCA had acceptable recordings to release for albums.

20. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Elvis tacked on the Hey Jude coda at the end of Yesterday during the 1969 Las Vegas season. Any Day Now was one of my mom's favorites, mine too. The vocal performance is outstanding. We both though Elvis should have recorded The Guess Who's These Eyes in much the same style and arrangement as Any Day Now.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lady Madonna..Maybe make it more KFC by adding ..“love your chicken breast„ :)

22. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Are there multiple versions of The Memphis Record out there? My CD copy opens with SIMOHT and follows it up with Power Of My Love.

Anyway, Any Day Now has one of the most unique and arresting introductions on an Elvis song, and Elvis complements it with a fine performance. I agree with Mark that this is definitely one of those songs that benefits from the later overdubs, and that the "wild, beautiful bird" parts are exquisite.

23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Now that's just silly. :)

24. mark winstanley

same here
    Any Day Now at track 4 I think

artfromtex likes this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thought it was inspired myself.:laugh:

NumberEight and mark winstanley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.